#26 Kenny

Kenny

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (alexxx @ Sep 21 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This kid had a pretty good night, second in ice time with 24:40 and an assist.

Lets hope it can translate to the regular season.

As for the video, it goes like this. First he says something like he just got done with practice, and he's "looking forward to seeing you (ducks fans) at the game tomorrow (tonight)." Literally as brief as it takes to read that sentence.

#27 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Anaheim Ducks, St. Louis Blues, and New England Patriots.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Kenny @ Sep 21 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the video, it goes like this. First he says something like he just got done with practice, and he's "looking forward to seeing you (ducks fans) at the game tomorrow (tonight)." Literally as brief as it takes to read that sentence.

Thank you.

#28 jiggsawpuzzle35rules

jiggsawpuzzle35rules

AllDucks #1 Angels Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

he played a solid game. nothing too fancy. made a couple of bad decisions in the 3rd though.

#29 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:58 AM

"It's definitely a dream come true for me," said the 18-year-old Fowler, who was paired up with Lubomir Visnovsky on defense. "Even if it's just an exhibition game, it's still the first time I'm out on NHL ice against another NHL team."

<link to OCR article posted in Media Roundup>

#30 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:29 AM

toddmorgan
@b_ryan9 any reason you and fowler both use the #54?
2:16 PM Sep 20th via web

b_ryan9
@toddmorgan Rookies don't pick their own numbers
2:18 PM Sep 20th via Echofon in reply to toddmorgan

#31 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

I was up in section 411 back wall last night. Fowler was one of the few who played well last night. The kid keeps proving he's the real deal with each step he takes. I was very pleased with his first NHL performance.

#32 alexxx

alexxx

Back? Maybe? I'll give it a try.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

What exactly is the problem with having him on the third pairing, as a learning experience?

I heard people say, he won't get challenged enough in the juniors, but won't be able to handle the NHL, and why bother putting him on the third pairing because he won't contribute.

If he honestly can't handle 2cd pairing time, we can put him on the third pairing to learn.

#33 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:45 AM

"Cam's a good kid. I had a chance to talk to him quite a bit in the summer," Sbisa said. "He was staying at the Doubletree by himself. I said, `Do you want to hang out and go out for dinner?' `He said, `Sure."'

Said Fowler, "It was so nice for him to do that. I was out here just training with Sean (Skahan) the strength coach. I was kind of in the hotel just lounging around, didn't have much to do. He drove a half hour, picked me up, took me out to a great dinner. I think it was really nice of him to do that."

<link to article posted in Media Roundup>

#34 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (alexxx @ Sep 22 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly is the problem with having him on the third pairing, as a learning experience?

I think the issue is that if he's on the 3rd pairing, he's gonna be playing with and against slugs and grinders. His job will be to get the puck and get it out. And get off the ice. He won't get PP time and he won't be in a situation where he can make a move and a sharp pass to a skilled forward going the other way.

In Juniors he will be the man and have the puck in pressure situations and be expected to be creative with it.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just trying to answer your question.

#35 Always Mighty

Always Mighty

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Sep 23 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not advocating one way or the other, just trying to answer your question.

I think that's only partially true. Because he's a rookie, I think Carlyle would want him to make the safe play, regardless of what pairing he was on, but he'd be allowed to make a sharp pass when the opportunity presented itself, he just better not screw it up. And just because he's on the 3rd pairing doesn't mean he won't get pp time.

#36 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Always Mighty @ Sep 23 2010, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's only partially true. Because he's a rookie, I think Carlyle would want him to make the safe play, regardless of what pairing he was on, but he'd be allowed to make a sharp pass when the opportunity presented itself, he just better not screw it up. And just because he's on the 3rd pairing doesn't mean he won't get pp time.

Well that's kind of the point. Carlyle isn't gonna pair him on a top unit and then handcuff him. You can't defend the Thornton line if you aren't allowed to skate the puck or make s "sharp" pass, and particularly when you are 18 and the coach has said (as you say) "ok, but don't screw it up". So, the situation is that if he's gonna stay up you HAVE to let him play. Keeping him up and handcuffing him?

Like I said, I'm not arguing that he should or shouldn't be there, I'm just trying to put into words the traditional thought process on this. Last year early on Sbisa was sent back down because, though he played decent, it looked as if the top two pairings at even strength and the PP were filled. Sbisa would be getting 11 minutes a night, playing with and against 4th liners and 3rd pairing guys and he'd have got little PP time.

Unless Fowler proves good enough to play on the PP and play in the top 2 pairings, and unless he proves good enough to get the green light to play without constant fear of screwing up, the "thinking" is that you are wasting his time having him defend other teams 3rd and 4th liners.

What I've seen so far in two preseason games is that he's not ready for that. He'll be at best a Brookbank/Festerling presence on the team this year. Which is REALLY GOOD for an 18 year old. But he'll be the Scott Neidermayer of Juniors. If I had to make the decision today, it's an easy one for me ... he goes back. Like Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf all did. This last paragraph I am arguing that he shouldn't stay, but I've got 6 more preseason and probably 10 regular season games to change my mind. I just haven't seen in 2 games the kind of player that at age 18 is gonna benefit from playing "up".

#37 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (DropThePuck @ Sep 23 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awww it was a Ducks D Date

#38 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (RGS_Quack93 @ Sep 23 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awww it was a Ducks D Date

Bobby was welcoming to Sbisa, now Sbisa is welcoming to Fowler... it's a circle of life laugh.gif

#39 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

When you're 20, the 18 year-old is a kid. biggrin.gif

#40 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

He has logged over 22 minutes of ice time in each of the three preseason games he has played, including a team-high 25:08 at Vancouver.

“He’s been phenomenal,” said 12-year-veteran Andy Sutton, who has been paired on defense at times with Fowler in training camp. “What a tremendous amount of poise for a young player. He doesn’t try to be too flashy out there, which I think is definitely helping. He tries to make solid plays. He’s a great skater and is in good body position all the time. I really like what I see so far.”

<link>

#41 TheSniper

TheSniper

Legend

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (DropThePuck @ Sep 27 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great post DTP....its nice to see for someone like me who really hasnt seen how fowler has looked with my own eyes...good to hear atleast 1 player is impressed

#42 ZTHER

ZTHER

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Check us out at:<br /><br />http://myNHLdraft.com<br />http://myMLBdraft.com<br />http://myNBAdraft.com<br />http://myNFLdraft.com<br /><br />and at http://sportscity.com

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Sep 23 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the issue is that if he's on the 3rd pairing, he's gonna be playing with and against slugs and grinders. His job will be to get the puck and get it out. And get off the ice. He won't get PP time and he won't be in a situation where he can make a move and a sharp pass to a skilled forward going the other way.

And he'll get all that in just ~10:00 minutes of ice time...

I really don't see what the rush is with Fowler. Sure it would be great to see him play at the big level, but he's not going to be a major difference maker this season.

~ Ian

#43 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (ZTHER @ Sep 27 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And he'll get all that in just ~10:00 minutes of ice time...

I really don't see what the rush is with Fowler. Sure it would be great to see him play at the big level, but he's not going to be a major difference maker this season.

And spending a year in Windsor, as the Spitfire's #1 defenseman, playing 20 minutes of ice time a night is only going to give Fowler time to hone and polish his skills.

Another year of development will see a Fowler more physically mature, more confident, and more polished. Let's also not forget he would be a key player for Team USA in the WJC's too. This could be a big year for Fowler's development, and it doesn't need to happen in the NHL. It may be better for him if it doesn't happen in the NHL.

I think he's ready to be an NHL player, but I'm not sure he's ready to be Cam Fowler in the NHL yet, if that makes any sense. This could be good for him.

#44 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

He'd be playing in Anaheim, not Toronto. There would be no media pressure, no pressure from fans and the team is not a playoff contender so he won't have that pressure on him, either. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to play this season in the NHL but I'd rather he play in juniors.

By the way, let's say he looks great for the first nine games and the Ducks keep him. Then he nosedives and is awful. Can they not return him to juniors and are stuck with him all season?

#45 FredFrog

FredFrog

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

Based upon what the Flyers did with Sbisa, I think that the Ducks could return him to the Juniors. Once sent to Juniors he could not come back up for the year. However, if he plays more than 9 games that starts his contract running, so that the Ducks would be in the same contract situation with him as with Sbisa, whose contract expires after this season.

#46 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (FredFrog @ Sep 28 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Based upon what the Flyers did with Sbisa, I think that the Ducks could return him to the Juniors. Once sent to Juniors he could not come back up for the year. However, if he plays more than 9 games that starts his contract running, so that the Ducks would be in the same contract situation with him as with Sbisa, whose contract expires after this season.

That sounds right, thanks.

#47 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

It's kind of just taking another swipe at our bad defense, but Fowler would not even be a consideration to make our roster a few years ago at age 18. The fact that he is in the running at all to get enough NHL minutes and hang around is a pretty good indication of where we are on defense. I almost hope he gets sent back down just because we have enough NHL bodies to not need him up here.

Look at it this way. He is showing no sign of being Bourque, Orr or Larry Murphy - impact dmen at age 18. He shows no signs of being Myers or Doughty .. more recent versions of 18 year old dmen that held down more than just a supporting role.

It's not a slight at him, it's just that if he's going to make us a better team this year, you have to think that he'd have shown something extra so far. He's been remarkable .. for an 18 year old. But not remarkable judged against all NHL dmen. It's this simple to me ... to play in this league as a teenager you have to be extra special good and confident and mature early. I have not seen him stand out like that, and I don't see the point of putting him on the roster past the 10 day cut-off unless the coaches think he can hold down a role on the PP and on a top pairing.

#48 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

I agree, and in most ways I feel the same about Sbisa. Will he be in the top 6 or 7 for this roster? Almost assuredly. Should he be if this blueline was stout? That would require quite a bit more contemplation.

#49 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

I dunno I think you guys might be underrating both of these guys. Fowler has been very smart, making good plays, hasnt been trying to do too much, stays calm and has done a pretty damn good job, Sbisa as well. I think it comes down to what Wiz said a while back, Anaheim fans have been spoiled with one of the best blue lines to even play in the NHL and now expect that level of play and that caliber of Defenseman all the time, which isnt possible.

#50 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (HockeyHeaven @ Sep 28 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, and in most ways I feel the same about Sbisa. Will he be in the top 6 or 7 for this roster? Almost assuredly. Should he be if this blueline was stout? That would require quite a bit more contemplation.

Yeah, I've not seen him look any better this camp than last. It's a small window, I know. And we are kinda counting on him so lets go with it. But I'm not seeing this guy EARNING his spot, he's just GETTING it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users