• Please log in to reply
1139 replies to this topic

#51 432j

432j

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:Hockey. Hockey. More Hockey.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (DropThePuck @ Aug 24 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Altho' I'm not going to assume that this means he's going to quit his day job.

The Register would not permit him to receive a paycheck from someone he's covering for them.

The more-interesting question is whether or not the Register will replace the position or if they'll just elevate Zupke and leave Curtis' position vacant.

I would have to imagine that the Reg will look at this as an opportunity to trim costs. I suspect very strongly that we'll be losing coverage from the Register. Then again, my view on journalism is that the gatekeeper-model is dead anyway.

#52 SM182

SM182

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

I'm willing to give the man a chance. But he's going to have to overcome a predisposition already: he hasn't played a single second of NHL hockey or maybe hockey in his entire life. What makes this man more qualified than a super fan of the ducks and nhl in general? Has he had any broadcasting experience?

#53 432j

432j

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:Hockey. Hockey. More Hockey.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (SM182 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes this man more qualified than a super fan of the ducks and nhl in general? Has he had any broadcasting experience?

For one, he's spent the last decade covering the Ducks on a full-time basis. He's also covered the Sharks. That experience along makes him more qualified than a super fan.

Severyn, as much as I like him, didn't have broadcasting experience.

Does he face challenges? Absolutely. I think the Ducks went a bit "off the board" so to speak with the selection, but I don't think we can question Dan's qualifications in terms of knowing, understanding and being able to describe the game.

On top of that, I know from personal experience that he loves the sport and is a hockey dad to a serious club player. You might be able to say that in addition to his professional credentials, he's also a super fan.

#54 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

Aw phooey ... with Dan leaving the OCR, this means we'll have to rely more on ducks.nhl.com for more of our news? Perhaps Dan will be able to at least make it more timely news??

At least we'll be getting preseason radio broadcasts ...

Radio coverage of the Ducks’ 2009-10 campaign begins with all eight preseason contests, starting on Wednesday, Sept. 16 vs. Phoenix at Honda Center (7:05 p.m.). The Ducks will open the 2009-10 regular season on Saturday, Oct. 3 against the San Jose Sharks at Honda Center (7:05 p.m.).

<from the Ducks announcement>

#55 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Seeing as Curtis was at 99.9% of the games and covered a good portion of the practices, I don't see a lapse in Register coverage of the Ducks. I would guess that Al Balderas will end up with a bit more responsibilities with the Ducks to back up Curtis, and they might even re-introduce Damian Dottore, who used to cover some practices and Ducks events in the past.

Dan does have opinions - most of them have had to be talked about off the Register page, though. It will be interesting to see how he does in the radio booth. Certainly there will be an adjustment period, but he should settle in nicely. His additional writing contributions for the main site will be invaluable.

#56 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Hmmmm ... CZ ... the replica of a valued gem? AB can be annoying at times. I guess we'll just live with whatever we get ... not that it's any different from before. But at least we'll still be able to read DW's articles on the Ducks website. ana-ban.gif

#57 duckfan78

duckfan78

Santa Barbara #1 Duck fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Interesting hire.

#58 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Looks like Dan Wood bailed just in time ...

Freedom Communications Inc. in Irvine, owner of the Orange County Register, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization today. Here are some frequently asked questions about the process and what it will mean for the Register:

Q. Does it mean the Register will close?

A. No. In fact one of the advantages of a Chapter 11 filing is that it allows a company to continue operations while a financial restructuring is worked out.

<link>

#59 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Dan Wood with some explanation, and admission:

...Then, sparked by the incredible goaltending of Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the upstart Ducks nearly won the Stanley Cup in 2003, losing only to the New Jersey Devils in Game 7 of the Finals.

As much as I admired Giguere’s work that spring, as a member of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, I cast my Conn Smythe Trophy vote for Devils defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who I honestly believed was the difference in that series. Little did I realize that four years later, Niedermayer would lead the Ducks to a Stanley Cup championship of their own. Whereas Giguere won the Conn Smythe without my vote in 2003, Niedermayer did the same in 2007. I voted for former Ducks center Samuel Pahlsson that year. Shows what I know.

...In any event, it has truly been a pleasure working at the Register, and covering the Ducks, especially since the team’s ownership change to Henry and Susan Samueli in 2005. The Ducks haven’t missed the playoffs since, and just as the team’s fans have enjoyed the ride, so have I...

OCR Ducks Blog

#60 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

great blog by Dan.

#61 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Spoke with Curtis today. Al Balderas is assigned to UCLA, so he won't be covering hockey. Curtis isn't sure if they'll hire within or hire someone from the outside. Eric Stephens is still freelancing, so he might apply for the head writing position. Who knows. At this point it's just Curtis, but there will need to be a second person backing up as well. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out at the Register. Bankruptcy and hiring freezes - who knows?

#62 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Though it is only one game into his broadcasting career, so far I expect Dan Wood will be better than Brent Severyn.

He's not got the best broadcasting voice, but Sevy's is nothing to write home about either. And Wood has so much more to contribute as far as a color man's job it's not even close. Brent might have been a player, but he's no student of the NHL compared to Wood. I was never impressed that Severyn prepared much for his role, but rather shot from the hip. Dan Wood will have his ducks in a row, no pun intended.

I think Sevy's biggest strength was his banter with Carroll and players like Robbie, but he didn't have all that much to offer beyond that, save some playing and locker room experience that didn't seem to ad much to the broadcasts.

Just my opinion, and I am sure there are opposite viewpoints, and everything in between. It all depends on what one is interested in hearing.

#63 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Sep 17 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though it is only one game into his broadcasting career, so far I expect Dan Wood will be better than Brent Severyn.
Just my opinion, and I am sure there are opposite viewpoints, and everything in between. It all depends on what one is interested in hearing.

Thanks for your opinion on this. I wasn't able to listen to the game (I was at the game) and wondered how that came across. Having spoken with him on a couple of occasions Wood has a bit of a lisp (not even sure it's that) so I may tune in tonight and hear some while I watch the game online.

#64 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

I was at the game... And as a result was a bit upset that I wouldn't get to hear what Dan sounded like on his first night....

So, I was pleasantly surprised to hear them replaying the broadcast as I drove home...

Dan is, well... Let's be blunt... He has no voice for radio.

He does seem to have a bit of a speech impediment... As DK said, It's not your standard lisp, at first I thought that was it, but it's different... certain sounds just come out weird and It's one of those things that you probably wouldn't even notice if you were looking at him... much like Teemu is much harder to understand when you can't see his lips moving... The strangest word he said last night was 'Hopes', I didn't even know what he was saying at first, it sounded a bit like 'Hoax'.

Also He just didn't seem very excited to be there... More likely than not his fear of making a mistake was preventing him from relaxing... but get that man a Red Bull or something!

That said, He's better than Sevy, from a knowledge standpoint and I'll give him a month or so before I really judge his performance.

The guy has no history in radio and taking that into account he did a GREAT job! I couldn't have done that well.

#65 ducksfan95

ducksfan95

when is that giant barstool going to do something

• Members
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Sep 17 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your opinion on this. I wasn't able to listen to the game (I was at the game) and wondered how that came across. Having spoken with him on a couple of occasions Wood has a bit of a lisp (not even sure it's that) so I may tune in tonight and hear some while I watch the game online.

i know this is off topic DK, but how are you getting it online?

#66 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (ducksfan95 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone posted on the GDT that Vancouver will be streaming the game on their site. Check the GDT for the link.

#67 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (ducksfan95 @ Sep 17 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it will be on Nuckies website

DK beat me to it... i need to make something out of my post now....

LET'S GO DUCKS! towel.gif ots.gif anaducksos1.gif anaducksos1.gif

#68 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Wood is always very low key and dry. He's not an excitable guy at all. That's why his passion and knowledge of hockey were best suited for print and why I think he will not be good on the radio.

That being said, I prefer having him on the broadcasts than Severyn. At least there's a chance Wood will say something informative and or interesting, even if it does come out with all the energy of Ben Stein's character in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

#69 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Sep 17 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wood is always very low key and dry. He's not an excitable guy at all. That's why his passion and knowledge of hockey were best suited for print and why I think he will not be good on the radio.

that might work as a contrast to Carroll's heart-attack-inducing way of commenting laugh.gif

#70 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Sep 17 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Having spoken with him on a couple of occasions Wood has a bit of a lisp (not even sure it's that) so I may tune in tonight and hear some while I watch the game online.

He has a bit of the old "sch" sound for "s" like our pal Bryan Murray. Not exactly the same, but along the same lines.

Maybe they visited the same dentist.

ohmy.gif

#71 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Sep 17 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe they visited the same dentist.

ohmy.gif

toothless.gif

#72 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Sep 17 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
toothless.gif

wait, that's Getzy's dentist, no?

#73 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (HillerGirl @ Sep 17 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wait, that's Getzy's dentist, no?

And Selanne's...

#74 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well, it's official. Eric Stephens is now the head Ducks writer for the Register. Took them long enough to figure it out. He'd been freelancing, mostly for NHL.com, since the LA Times let him go. Curtis Zupke will continue to be back-up. Congratulations Eric!

#75 jiggsawpuzzle35rules

jiggsawpuzzle35rules

AllDucks #1 Angels Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Congrats Eric. The guy i wanted from the get go since Dan left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users