145 replies to this topic

#1 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I said when we made the trade that he was a bigger, more disciplined version of Vitali Vishnevski and that Ducks fans were going to like him once they saw him. I stand by that and thought he looked great in the game against the Coyotes. Yes, it was the post-deadline Coyotes so not exactly a tough test but he was physical and he doesn't panic. Give him a few more games to learn the Ducks system and players and I think we're going to have a good defenseman on our hands.

- He played over 20 minutes.

- He led the Ducks with five hits

- He was a +3

- He got an assist

Great start for him.

#2 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

“I’m a physical defenseman,” Despres says. “I make a good first pass. I’m a strong skater, and I get the shots through to the net.”

Oh, and the name of the French-Canadian from Laval, Quebec? According to him, it’s pronounced see-MONE de-PREE, and here is audio of him saying it, for good measure.

Click here for audio

link

#3 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

So why the hell did Pittsburgh give up on this guy if he's actually as good as we saw in his Ducks debut?

#4 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

So why the hell did Pittsburgh give up on this guy if he's actually as good as we saw in his Ducks debut?

I'm still waiting on this one. I get jumped EVERY time I say it but there has to be a flaw in his game that we have not seen yet. Or in the locker room or something. There's no way he's THAT good and they traded him for Lovejoy. 

#5 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Pens fans say he's inconsistant. (Like Lovejoy was a rock every night?)

I think it comes down to this: Every trade has a loser, and that GM didn't TRY to lose! Different eyes, different assessments. Roll the dice, and take your chances. ;)

#6 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'm still waiting on this one. I get jumped EVERY time I say it but there has to be a flaw in his game that we have not seen yet. Or in the locker room or something. There's no way he's THAT good and they traded him for Lovejoy. 

I'll be watching him closely tonight.  He's going from playing against an ECHL team to a cup contender. 

#7 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

Here's what Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said:

“When we looked at our defense, despite the fact that it’s played pretty well at this point, we were concerned about the experience. We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence. We felt to have a good run in the playoffs we needed more experience and that’s why we made these two deals. (Lovejoy)'s developed into a solid, consistent player. Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring this player. (Despres is a) capable hitter. Clearly, the guy we traded was more aggressive on the fighting side than the guy we got back. But as we go along, I don’t believe down the stretch in the regular season there will be that many games, maybe a few, that we’ll need that. We’ll have to do it as a team unit, team toughness. But when you get to the playoffs it’s not as useful.”

I know it's hard (for some) to believe that Despres is a good player but he is and this was a very good trade for the Ducks. Very good. I think you'll all really like him when you get to see him more and that you'll believe for yourselves soon enough.

This is why I play the "I know more about the rest of the NHL than you do" card, because I do. You clearly haven't seen this kid play and had never heard of him until Monday. I have heard of him, I have seen him play many times and I know more about him than you do. It's frustrating for me to know firsthand what kind of a player he is only to be told by you that I'm wrong.

#8 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

Rutherford said he was looking for an upgrade.  If Despres is as good as he looked last night, there's no way in hell that Lovejoy is any sort of an upgrade over him.

#9 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Rutherford said he was looking for an upgrade.  If Despres is as good as he looked last night, there's no way in hell that Lovejoy is any sort of an upgrade over him.

Lovejoy is a veteran with playoff experience. Despres is not. Murray took advantage of Rutherford over-emphasizing postseason experience.

The Ducks traded a 5th round pick to the Penguins to get Lovejoy, then traded him back to the Penguins for a 23-year old former 1st round pick that is just beginning his NHL career. Genius!

#10 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Here's what Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said:

“When we looked at our defense, despite the fact that it’s played pretty well at this point, we were concerned about the experience. We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence. We felt to have a good run in the playoffs we needed more experience and that’s why we made these two deals. (Lovejoy)'s developed into a solid, consistent player. Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring this player. (Despres is a) capable hitter. Clearly, the guy we traded was more aggressive on the fighting side than the guy we got back. But as we go along, I don’t believe down the stretch in the regular season there will be that many games, maybe a few, that we’ll need that. We’ll have to do it as a team unit, team toughness. But when you get to the playoffs it’s not as useful.”

I know it's hard (for some) to believe that Despres is a good player but he is and this was a very good trade for the Ducks. Very good. I think you'll all really like him when you get to see him more and that you'll believe for yourselves soon enough.

This is why I play the "I know more about the rest of the NHL than you do" card, because I do. You clearly haven't seen this kid play and had never heard of him until Monday. I have heard of him, I have seen him play many times and I know more about him than you do. It's frustrating for me to know firsthand what kind of a player he is only to be told by you that I'm wrong.

Troy, this is where you cross the line and just become an a*h*, claiming things that aren't true about my knowledge of hockey, and making self proclamations to have the inside knowledge of every player in the league. 

#11 Always Mighty

Always Mighty

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

To me, I think Lovejoy brings veteran experience that for whatever reasons, the Pens felt like they needed going into the playoffs. Despres is a good player, but he's still young and learning the game. The Pens want to win now and think Lovejoy can help them do that this season. In the long run, it sounds like Despres will be the better player, but it sounds like Pittsburgh wanted the safer/veteran player to win with right now. That's how I read it, and if that's the case, I think it's a good deal for both sides, especially with the Ducks getting Wiz. I think Wiz gets paired with Fowler when healthy, and Despres will probably join the bottom pairing/be scratched sometimes, this season. Next year, I expect him to play almost every night, especially if Frankie is not re-signed.

#12 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Troy, this is where you cross the line and just become an a*h*, claiming things that aren't true about my knowledge of hockey, and making self proclamations to have the inside knowledge of every player in the league. 

Ok. I'm an a-h*. Fine.

You know more about hockey than I do, or at least as much as I do, and you're well-versed on the rest of the NHL rosters. So why, then, are you not sold on Despres as an upgrade over Stoner for our third pairing?

#13 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

I actually watch quite a bit of hockey as well, but not the Penguins very much.  I like watching either aggressive or exciting teams, and the Penguins have never really interested me.  Too fancy and girly.  But it looks like we captured their one LUMBERJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

BTW I also never said that Despres is no good or that you don't know what you are talking about. I said there has to be SOMETHING that even you missed in your intense scrutiny of the Pens 3rd pairing dman over the last little bit that caused Pitt to think he's too young and us to think the opposite. 

I agree he looked GREAT last night. I also agree that I haven't seen enough of him in my less than intense scrutiny of his 3rd pairing up and down Pitt minutes to know what gives. I'm just very suspicious. 

Ok. I'm an a-h*. Fine.

You know more about hockey than I do, or at least as much as I do, and you're well-versed on the rest of the NHL rosters. So why, then, are you not sold on Despres as an upgrade over Stoner for our third pairing?

Listen, you are the guy that says I never heard of Despres before this week, so if the hat fits, put it on and dance me a jig!

I THINK he looks a hell of a lot better than Stoner. I don't like Stoner. I'd probably be on the WAIVE STONER wagon if it wasn't for DATW. I just don't think that Bob has crossed that bridge yet. We'll find out as soon as Wiz is healthy, but I don't know the f*g answer to the question "is Stoner now our #7" and you know what Mr NHL? Neither do you!

#15 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

When Ben Lovejoy wins the Stanley Cup MVP trophey, then we'll be singing a different tune!!

:D

#16 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Is this the new rule of the board?  If DATW makes a claim, the opposite must me correct?  Sign me up.

#17 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Is this the new rule of the board?  If DATW makes a claim, the opposite must me correct?  Sign me up.

He's got me twisted up in knots. If I find out he hated Kariya I'm gonna SHOOT MYSELF. 

#18 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

He's got me twisted up in knots. If I find out he hated Kariya I'm gonna SHOOT MYSELF. 

If DATW hates Kariya then I was officially right this whole time and you can all officially suck it. 

#19 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Of course i don't hate PK9.

#20 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:50 PM

Of course i don't hate PK9.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

#21 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

G*damnit.

#22 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

I feel like we just took our hand off the Big Red Button waiting for that response.

Or almost tried to divide by zero or something...

#23 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

Are the cynics (cough-LGD-cough) ready to concede that the Ducks got the better of this deal not only in the short-term but also in the long-term? ;)

#24 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

Are the cynics (cough-LGD-cough) ready to concede that the Ducks got the better of this deal not only in the short-term but also in the long-term? ;)

Is this REALLY the day you want to be saying "I TOLD YOU SO"?

#25 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I'm still trying to find what flaw PIT saw in him that we didn't. To me, this guy has looked like he could be a legitimate top pairing guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users