145 replies to this topic

#51 seesaws

seesaws

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Kovacevic wrote, "They don't trust Despres off the ice and, hence, lost trust on it", "And when that inconsistency is something they believe is rooted in a general lack of applying one’s self in life, that’s when it becomes too much to take", and "And no, I will not get specific on this. Sorry. Other than to say the Penguins got sick and tired of betting on his future."

http://www.pensburgh...es-agent-speaks

#52 rollingdux

rollingdux

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, I think there was a follow up on that too. But if the issues (rumored to be work ethic & attitude) was that deep, why not talk to his agent or bring it up with him?

#53 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

Sounds like a fun guy to go out drinking with..........

"Dude, where's my car?!?!?"

#54 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

just switch between stoner and despres, every other game. We'll want them warm going into playoffs and the depth they afford as well. I don't see why it has to be one or the other.

#55 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

That would explain it a lot better than "shut up old man sometimes I know more about player than the Pittsburgh Penguins organization."

#56 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Again, the Penguins did NOT call up the Ducks and offer Simon Despres. They called up and asked for Ben Lovejoy. The Ducks then asked for Despres in return and got him. That is the way both Rutherford and Murray have told it and that does not fit the narrative that the Penguins were tired of Despres' antics off the ice and wanted to get rid of him. It may explain why they were willing to give him up to the Ducks in exchange for Lovejoy, and if that's the case so be it, but they wouldn't be the first franchise to let their frustration that a young former 1st round pick is "immature" off the ice get the better of them and trade him away (cough-Tyler Seguin-cough). The Penguins fans were confused and angry about this trade, the national media was confused by it and thought the Ducks clearly got the better end of it, two weeks into his tenure in Anaheim and he's looked exactly as good as advertised.

If Pittsburgh was dumb enough to trade us a 23-year old former 1st round pick with NHL experience in exchange for a 31-year old undrafted defenseman with 15 months left before he becomes a UFA then let's not overanalyze it and look for the flaws. Let's enjoy our good fortune, pat Bob Murray on the back for a great trade and enjoy the future with Despres, Lindholm, Fowler and Vatanen as the bedrock of our defense going forward.

#57 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

We never can know for sure what is true.
But trading young/talented guys because off ice problems almost every time come back to hunt you.
They traded him for Lovejoy. Ben Lovejoy. Total disaster.

#58 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Well, there it is. Appears to be off ice behavior. Let's hope they made the wrong call or the trade was a wake up that helps him mature. Anyway, I like what I have seen on the ice so far.

#59 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

"Off ice issues we can't disclose" is a very convenient crutch for teams to leak to the media after making a trade the fans don't understand or support. It's impossible to disprove, there's no requirement of proof and many fans will just take it on faith. If there were issues with Despres, though, why did the Penguins never once reach out to his agent about them? Apparently that happens quite a bit and seems to be a path they'd have taken if there were actual off ice issues with the guy. But they didn't. And only AFTER he was traded did any of this leak out. Convenient.

What we KNOW is this:

• Despres is better than Ben Lovejoy right now
  • Despres is the type of player the Ducks needed (big, good puck mover, physical)
  • Despres will be under contract to the Ducks through at least the 2019-2020 season / Lovejoy will be a UFA next summer
  • Despres is a 23-year old former 1st round pick / Lovejoy is 31

If there truly are "off-ice issues" then that's for Despres and the Ducks to handle. We'll never know about them, most likely. If you want to point to a blog in Pittsburgh AFTER the trade and say that's the smoking gun for why this was a bad trade for the Ducks, fine. But there's no dispute that we got the better of the trade on the ice, in the short-term and in the long-term.

#60 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

We will find out in due time what, if any, off ice problems there are. These things dont stay a secret forever. It might be next season, but at some point we are going to revisit this thread and either say "ohhhhhh so thats why they traded him" or say "well, looks like PIT shouldnt have given up so fast".

Young guys dont always make the right decisions, but after being traded once or twice or after maturing a bit more, a lot of off ice stuff seems to settle itself. Time will tell.

#61 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

I don't know why you guys are jumping to back up Simon Despres and his "off ice problems" if any. Yes, it could be a convenient explanation to pacify fans although the GM didn't say it, someone "reportedly" said it to a Pittsburgh "insider". But it could also explain why they would just go ahead and "lose" a trade when they have what they consider a Stanley Cup capable team. In fact, if true it totally supports the daily claims that Despres is a great young Dman and you guys knew it and I didn't. 

And yes, Bob did say they called him, but he also said that he'd tried to get Despres from them "several" times before, so if Pitt did really "tire" of his act and needed another guy to hold down the 5 or 6 spot they'd know who to call ....

To me it just makes a lot of sense. 

And I take on that risk anyway! At my age people tire of my act, when I was 23 holy s* ....

#62 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:48 AM

This is silly: he is a bad boy, but we won't tell you why...
Did he get drunk and came hungover to a morning skate?
Did he beat someone in poker and was obnoxious about it?
Did he kick someone's puppy?

I mean he is 23! And though we are used to young hockey players being more mature and responsible than average kids their age, it's still not a 100% rule.
I mean, Captain Baldie had his "three minutes and all ye are fallen" moment.

So even if he is a bit immature. boo-freaking-hoo. Most people grow out of it. He has good examples around him (and all the opportunities in the world lol now that's the reality show I'd watch :lol: )

#63 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

There was a hint in the comment made in that story about gambling. No idea if thats true or not but if it is true, that could be a pretty significant off the ice issue. 

I there there are multiple reasons why Depres was the odd man out and if the off ice rumors are true, that just helps PITs case in trading him. 

I dont really care one way or the other. Losing Lovejoy isnt the worst thing in the world and even if Despres ends up being an issue, we have a damn good blueline without him. For right now, we see no issues other than maybe some bad decisions as far as penalties go, but right now, he's better than Lovejoy. Works for me.

#64 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

HIs game looks a little "loose" to me right now. A couple of mistakes last night. And he seems to have a slow first step. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying he's far from a polished, perfect guy. I was actually looking for the Vatanen thread cause Sami has been sluggish of late if you ask me. But I found Simon first. 

But I think the Defense is very interesting right now. Sami unfortunately does not look on his game at all. Frankie took a run at some guy last night, I forget who, and Frankie was the guy who got hammered. Stoner I swear he's not that bad but he makes a mistake every night and boy the fans are on him like he was the lovechild of Luca Sbisa and Pavel Trnka, the guy can not catch a break. 

To me there is no question you line up Frankie, Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Wiz and Despres and I don't switch in anyone unless someone gets hurt. Those are your 6 best, even if they aren't playing their best. And Despres as your #6? God damn there is no way we should be playing games like the last two. 

#65 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

I was just about to post about Despres too. The way I see it, its a coin flip between him and Stoner in the playoffs.

Stoner is going to make a mistake or two during the game. Like last nights pass through traffic that led to a goal. 98% of the game, hes solid, but he will make those one or two mistakes in bad areas.

Despres will and does take bad penalties. He will end up int he box and put the team down a man. Its all in his head, he just has to try and stay a bit more focused and not take the dumb penalties.

And LGD - I think that was Benn who put Frankie on his butt. It was on the goal where Benn fed someone in the middle of the ice and Frankie was coming across. 

#66 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

I was just about to post about Despres too. The way I see it, its a coin flip between him and Stoner in the playoffs.

Stoner is going to make a mistake or two during the game. Like last nights pass through traffic that led to a goal. 98% of the game, hes solid, but he will make those one or two mistakes in bad areas.

Despres will and does take bad penalties. He will end up int he box and put the team down a man. Its all in his head, he just has to try and stay a bit more focused and not take the dumb penalties.

And LGD - I think that was Benn who put Frankie on his butt. It was on the goal where Benn fed someone in the middle of the ice and Frankie was coming across. 

Yup .. it looked to me (remember I was at game so I didn't see it on a replay and I think it was the far end from me) Frankie had ALL the momentum and STILL he lost and I thought "hmmm, he's not quite the clear out guy he used to be". Not a big rip on him, just recognizing that Lindholm is the man on this team IMO.

#67 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

Yup .. it looked to me (remember I was at game so I didn't see it on a replay and I think it was the far end from me) Frankie had ALL the momentum and STILL he lost and I thought "hmmm, he's not quite the clear out guy he used to be". Not a big rip on him, just recognizing that Lindholm is the man on this team IMO.

I didnt see it like that really. Beauch can still lay some of the biggest hits on this team I just think it was a matter of positioning and its not like Benn is a small dude either. I crack that up to s* happens.

#68 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,329 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

“When we made all the trades at the deadline, Wiz [James Wisniewski] was injured with a foot injury, so at the beginning we thought Des was going to be the seventh defenseman,” Boudreau says, “so he had a chance to play two or three games and played really well. It got to the point where you say, Geez, how can you take him out of the lineup? He was playing with Cam really well.

“He just kept getting better. We kept waiting for him to fail, but he didn’t. That’s a real good mark for him as a player. Everybody wants to play good because you have an awfully good defenseman waiting in the wings.”

link

#69 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

And in game 3 it's no surprise that Despres had the most TOI for the Ducks.

#70 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Straight up for Ben Lovejoy...amazing.

#71 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

Straight up for Ben Lovejoy...amazing.

Straight steal.  Pittsburgh lost that trade in absolutely every possible way.

#72 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

This guy was great all playoffs and he's 23 years old. He's a month younger than Vatanen. 

#73 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

This guy was great all playoffs and he's 23 years old. He's a month younger than Vatanen. 

I got a text from a friend that is a Penguins fan after Game 7. "On the plus side, at least you guys have Simon Despres. He'll be the gift that keeps on giving for years to come."

#74 rollingdux

rollingdux

Legend

• Members
  • 7,549 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

Excited to see more of him & the rest of the Young d core. Everyone's saying we need a true number 1 D, but those aren't available right now & it will take a lot for one to become available.

We have a nice group with those 4 & they are still developing.

#75 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

Excited to see more of him & the rest of the Young d core. Everyone's saying we need a true number 1 D, but those aren't available right now & it will take a lot for one to become available.

We have a nice group with those 4 & they are still developing.

I believe Hampus Lindholm will be a true #1 soon. He's 21 years old and is already a top-pairing defenseman. He was drafted 6th overall. He will be our #1, maybe as soon as next season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)