196 replies to this topic

#1 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

I was thrilled with his first game, kinda "blah" after that and I think had we lost that game last night I'd feel the same way.

The one thing I will say is that he's getting shots, opportunities ... he's around there for rebounds, tips. He knows where the goal is, just seems to be there a split second late.

You have to like his size and hitting. He needs a "balance" coach though cause guys smaller than him know how to outposition him and get him off the puck and off his skates.

The one thing I'd like to see from a 19 year old - that we seem to see from other teams top 10 pick forwards at age 19 - is some incredible move. Some dangle play. Some skill level above and beyond what we see from Pat Maroon. Maybe some Bobby Ryan mixed in there?

I'm not over or underwhelmed with him. I guess just whelmed.

He's been OK. My hope was for a Dan Sexton type introduction to the NHL. But look what that got us. 

#2 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

he's starting to see the game at the NHL level, I fully expect him to start putting up goals soon.

#3 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

I think he's starting to look more confident. He's basically taken over where Beleskey left off minus the goal scoring and with a shot like he has, that can't be to far off. I think we haven't seen the dangles and jukeidge because he's not that kind of player. I don't remember seeing any of that from just videos in the OHL either. He's more Rick Nash on PCP than Bobby Ryan. He grinds, cycles and beats you down. Nothing suave, but that's Ducks hockey.

That said, his game could use some polishing and if he is sent back to the AHL, i would be ok with that. But our lack of top 6 talent is still overt.

#4 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

I like the kid. Hes not setting the wrold on fire, but the dude stays engaged and doesnt make a lot of mistakes. He sees the ice well and grinds. He hits like Lucic almost. He can be a very imposing player, he just needs to find his comfort zone in the lineup and NHL.

#5 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

For 19 years old, he's played more maturely than I expected. Nothing flashy, but few mistakes.

Since hockey is a game of mistakes, I think he's on the right track.

And balance coaches are called ballet instructors.

#6 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

The one thing I'd like to see from a 19 year old - that we seem to see from other teams top 10 pick forwards at age 19 - is some incredible move. Some dangle play. Some skill level above and beyond what we see from Pat Maroon. Maybe some Bobby Ryan mixed in there?

I may be wrong, but I do not believe he has that in his arsenal.

#7 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

I may be wrong, but I do not believe he has that in his arsenal.

What is his arsenal? What is his projection? He doesn't remind me of a Corey Perry type nor a Bobby Ryan type. Is he just a North/South guy  ... a 4th liner with a good shot? I genuinely don't know.

With the cy young numbers in San Diego, I'm not sure what to think.

I'm hopeful. And to be frank, Kesler and Silvferberg aren't scoring either so it's like he's playing on a 3rd line. I just have seen too many Mike LeClerc's in my time. 

#8 seesaws

seesaws

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

I agree that he gets bumped off the puck a little easily for his size. And another thing I've noticed is that his first instinct seems to be to dish the puck off. I'm sure that once he gets adjusted to the NHL he'll starting making more plays with the puck, challenging defenders and scoring goals.

Overall, though I like what I've seen so far. He hasn't really been a liability. And I definitely don't think he should be goal-less with the way he's played so far. He's been very close more than a few times.

#9 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

What is his arsenal? What is his projection? He doesn't remind me of a Corey Perry type nor a Bobby Ryan type. Is he just a North/South guy  ... a 4th liner with a good shot? I genuinely don't know.

With the cy young numbers in San Diego, I'm not sure what to think.

I'm hopeful. And to be frank, Kesler and Silvferberg aren't scoring either so it's like he's playing on a 3rd line. I just have seen too many Mike LeClerc's in my time. 

If I had to make a prediction right now it would not be looking too good for young Mr. Ritchie.  We'll see, but so far I am underwhelmed.  I don't see anything special about him.  Not fast, not a puck hound, not an intimidating physical presence, not slick hands.  Hopefully he just needs to develop.

#10 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

If I had to make a prediction right now it would not be looking too good for young Mr. Ritchie.  We'll see, but so far I am underwhelmed.  I don't see anything special about him.  Not fast, not a puck hound, not an intimidating physical presence, not slick hands.  Hopefully he just needs to develop.

Right I think that's my opinion too. Usually if a guy is gonna be a STAR you see it in the first tour of duty. Right now if he was called up and had like a Pat Maroon pedigree "big guy not that fast not incredibly agile will go to the front of the net could be a good 3rd 4th liner" I would be saying "yep, looks about right". 

I don't see that thing that makes him a top 6 .... YET. I'm trying to be careful cause he has been close, he does like to play down low, his hits are FOR REAL and he's just a split second away from 4 or 5 goals. 

But like HH if I had to bet on this guy being a solid top 6 player ... at least a 20-25 goal guy I am gonna have to bet "no". I want to say "hey, he's only 19" but we have a  league FULL of 19 year olds lately.

I'll put it this way. He hasn't yet done anything to separate himself from DSP and Etem. 

#11 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

I see Penner but with some hustle. I dont expect flashy out of him; I expect forechecking, puck cycling and some fancy hands. Ill disagree that hes not an intimidating physical presence, dude hits like a truck. 

#12 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

I see Penner but with some hustle. I dont expect flashy out of him; I expect forechecking, puck cycling and some fancy hands. Ill disagree that hes not an intimidating physical presence, dude hits like a truck. 

I agree with the Penner comparison.  Took him awhile to start scoring too.

#13 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Right I think that's my opinion too. Usually if a guy is gonna be a STAR you see it in the first tour of duty. Right now if he was called up and had like a Pat Maroon pedigree "big guy not that fast not incredibly agile will go to the front of the net could be a good 3rd 4th liner" I would be saying "yep, looks about right". 

I don't see that thing that makes him a top 6 .... YET. I'm trying to be careful cause he has been close, he does like to play down low, his hits are FOR REAL and he's just a split second away from 4 or 5 goals. 

But like HH if I had to bet on this guy being a solid top 6 player ... at least a 20-25 goal guy I am gonna have to bet "no". I want to say "hey, he's only 19" but we have a  league FULL of 19 year olds lately.

I'll put it this way. He hasn't yet done anything to separate himself from DSP and Etem. 

Exactly.

#14 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

He also hasn't done anything to separate himself from Getzlaf and Perry's first 20 games or so with the Ducks.  Power Forwards are slow to develop.

#15 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

Ill disagree. Etem would go balls tot he wall one game and then flop the next. I see Ritchie giving the same effort level each night. He is consistent.

DSP might be a fair comparison to a degree. its still very early on for Ritchie boy though

#16 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Exactly.

He's still on the team.

There's that.

Ill disagree. Etem would go balls tot he wall one game and then flop the next. I see Ritchie giving the same effort level each night. He is consistent.

DSP might be a fair comparison to a degree. its still very early on for Ritchie boy though

Exactly.

HH and lgd.com are ready to scuttle him after what, two and a half weeks.

I'm with RG on this one!

#17 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Exactly.

I'm with RG on this one!

Thank the hockey gods, we can agree on something. Welcome back brother!

#18 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

He also hasn't done anything to separate himself from Getzlaf and Perry's first 20 games or so with the Ducks.  Power Forwards are slow to develop.

Ritchie has only had 8 games so far, so it is early.

They both did start slowly, but Perry had 1 G and 3 A in his first 4 NHL games, recording a point in each.

Getzlaf had 1 G, 3 A in his first 10.  

And believe it or not, Ritchie is getting more ice time than those two were when they started.  And Ryan Kesler has been his C.

#19 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

They both did start slowly, but Perry had 1 G and 3 A in his first 4 NHL games, recording a point in each.

And believe it or not, Ritchie is getting more ice time than those two were when they started.  And Ryan Kesler has been his C.

Kesler isn't exactly Mr. Disher this season. It's not like Ritchie is getting set up, like the Twins do with each other.

Plus Kesler's line plays against the Toews and Sedin's of the league. Getz/Pears didn't, to my recollection.

#20 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Shooting a bit high arent we? Getzlaf and Perry?

Kesler and Silfver havent been producing much, so while Ritchie DOES have a quality center to play off of, he kind of walked into a snake pit. I thought maybe he could help break them out of it, and maybe he has because in the past few games they have started to produce, but he certainly isnt the one putting up the points.... yet.

#21 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

Shooting a bit high arent we? Getzlaf and Perry?

I'm not the one who brought up their names.

Get the right guy!

The next glimpse I get of "Nick Ritchie, top 6 NHL winger" will be the first.

#22 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

He's still on the team.

There's that.

Exactly.

I'm with RG on this one!

1) DSP and Etem were on the team a lot longer

2) Hardly. Both of us only said that if we HAD to make a call now, that the call would NOT be "star" player.

3) Get your own material!

I remember being immediately impressed with both of them. Might be my memory is shot. 

#23 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

I'm not the one who brought up their names.

Get the right guy!

The next glimpse I get of "Nick Ritchie, top 6 NHL winger" will be the first.

Yes, it was me.  And I was only making the comparison to point out that power forwards take a while to get going and adapt to the NHL game.  

Bobby Ryan, The Twins, Chris Kreider, Penner, Milan Lucic, heck even look as far back as Keith Tkachuk.  

#24 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Yes, it was me.  And I was only making the comparison to point out that power forwards take a while to get going and adapt to the NHL game.  

Bobby Ryan, The Twins, Chris Kreider, Penner, Milan Lucic, heck even look as far back as Keith Tkachuk.  

All true, as far as I can recall.

I remember being immediately impressed with both of them. Might be my memory is shot. 

I do, too.  But I think our combined age is over 95 years, so your second point might be more accurate.....

#25 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

1) DSP and Etem were on the team a lot longer

2) Hardly. Both of us only said that if we HAD to make a call now, that the call would NOT be "star" player.

3) Get your own material!

1) And Ritchie's been on the team for ten minutes.

2) Who in the hell would think you could "make a call now"? Oh, right... you. There you have it!

3) See above.

My point is that you are judging a 19 year old that's been in the NHL for a cup of coffee so far, who plays on a heavily struggling team. That's jumping the gun if there ever was such a thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users