196 replies to this topic

#51 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

I agree this is not a bad thing for Ritchie and frankly should be good for his development.

Heck this is just his first year in the AHL IIRC so let him play more games down in SD to develop his game and gain more confidence and BM can bring him up occasionally to test and see how he's developing. If he spends a far majority or even the remainder of the season in the AHL, I'm ok with that.

#52 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Ritchie notches two goals and an asset in AHL All-Star Challenge

#53 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Recalled. Stewart must be going on DL.

#54 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Stewart headed back to Anaheim for evaluation.

#55 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

Ok, Ritchie Watch is on.

When is this kid going to score his first goal?

When he gets his driver's license?

#56 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,335 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

Ritchie is now 15 games into his NHL career and he admits he’s had a bit of a preoccupation with getting his first goal.

“It’s obviously a tough league to score,” he said. “You just got to go to the net. Sometimes there’s a bit of luck involved in scoring goals, especially at this level. I try not to think about it too much and get myself worked up. But yeah, you are thinking about it.”

link

#57 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Starting to sour a bit on this kid.

He's not any better than Maroon so far.

I'd get him back to SD asap and try to trade him, before he's exposed too much.

I'd rather have Drouin than him for the future.

Murray'll never do it, though. Not with the character issues Drouin has. And he could well be right.

#58 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Maybe he should worry about defense and passing and being in the right position. Then the goals will come.

I am just gonna assume they are asking him about the goals, and it's not him bringing it up ... though the reporter does say HE is preoccupied with it.

Starting to sour a bit on this kid.

He's not any better than Maroon so far.

I'd get him back to SD asap and try to trade him, before he's exposed too much.

I'd rather have Drouin than him for the future.

Murray'll never do it, though. Not with the character issues Drouin has. And he could well be right.

I'm still going to argue with you that "character" issues in a league full of Kings taking drugs into pool parties and beating their wives and drunkenly trying to molest their daughter ... is an unfair label for the kid. 

#59 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

I'm still going to argue with you that "character" issues in a league full of Kings taking drugs into pool parties and beating their wives and drunkenly trying to molest their daughter ... is an unfair label for the kid. 

I think when I say "character issues" in relation to Jonathan Drouin on a Ducks hockey board, where we have discussed at length his lack of character as it relates to his refusing to honor the contract he has with TBL, and all the related issues such as putting himself before his teammates, that it is well understood that I'm not accusing him of drug abuse, domestic violence, or pedophilia. 

Get real.

#60 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh  2m

Murray said he made sure to have Nick Ritchie sent down to San Diego for eligibility for AHL playoffs. Not sure yet if he's staying.

#61 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,335 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

“You have a long summer so you focus a little bit on everything,” Ritchie said. “Obviously I’m a bigger guy so I’m working on that speed component. You can never be fast enough or strong enough. And I’m working on getting faster and stronger. Cardio as well. Getting into better shape.

“Just becoming a better athlete all around with all those things.”

link

#62 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

This kid better turn out, I'm sick of their prospect forwards doing jack squat in the league.

Kerdiles(36th) (...tick..tick)

Etem(29th)

DSP(42nd)

Palmieri...oh wait.

Holland(15th)

Deschamps(35th)

O'Dell(39th)

Macmillan(19th)

Tangradi(42nd)

7 years of drafting crap forwards.

#63 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

This kid better turn out, I'm sick of their prospect forwards doing jack squat in the league.

Kerdiles (...tick..tick)

Etem

DSP

Palmieri...oh wait.

Holland

Deschamps

O'Dell

Macmillan

Tangradi

8 years of drafting crap forwards.

While I agree with you 100%, you gotta give them Rakell ....

#64 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts
  • Interests:Hockey and stand-up comedy

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:43 AM

Kerdiles (...tick..tick)

Etem

DSP

Palmieri...oh wait.

Holland

Deschamps

O'Dell

Macmillan

Tangradi

8 years of drafting crap forwards.

Kerdiles (2nd Round/36th in 2012) - Never played in NHL

If he doesn't establish himself as an NHL forward this season he's officially a bust. However, so is every other forward taken in the second round that year, so...

Etem - (1st Round/29th in 2010) - 170 NHL Games

Not a bust, because he's played in the NHL for many seasons now and just got a new contract to play some more. But not an impact player. Not one forward taken after him (other than DSP) has done squat in the NHL so the Ducks didn't miss the boat on anyone here.

DSP - (2nd Round/42nd in 2010) - 213 NHL Games

Solid bottom six forward at this point. Just signed a new contract to continue playing. I think he actually became what he was supposed to be and he's one of the few forwards taken in the second round of that draft that ever established themselves in the NHL so the Ducks actually did well here.

Palmieri - (1st Round/26th in 2009) - 280 NHL Games

Legit top six forward that just signed a big contract. He fulfilled his potential.

Holland - (1st Round/15th in 2009) - 195 NHL Games

Like Etem, he isn't a bust but he certainly never fulfilled his potential. That was a particularly bad draft class, though.

--------------------------BELOW ARE BEFORE MURRAY WAS THE GM--------------------------

Deschamps - (2nd Round/35th in 2008) - 3 NHL Games

Officially a bust, but nobody taken after him would have been any better.

O'Dell - (2nd Round/39th in 2008) - 41 NHL Games

MacMillan - (1st Round/17th in 2007) - Never played in NHL

Officially a huge bust

Tangradi - (2nd Round/42nd in 2007) - 144 NHL Games

Like Etem and Holland he is not a bust but isn't a success story, either. The worst part is that the very next player taken was PK Subban -  :doh1:

Meanwhile you left out Rickard Rakell who is obviously a huge success story for the Ducks. It's not as bad as you portrayed it but it's not good by any stretch and there's no doubt the Ducks draft and develop defensemen far better than they do forwards. 

#65 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Here's the problem. The best guy you find is Palmieri. The list of draft picks in that same time that aren't forwards, that DID (or are on track to) pan out:

Lindholm

Montour

Manson

Frederic Anderson

Jon Gibson

Fowler

Vatanen

Justin Schultz

Jake Gardiner

Kerdiles (2nd Round/36th in 2012) - Never played in NHL

If he doesn't establish himself as an NHL forward this season he's officially a bust. However, so is every other forward taken in the second round that year, so...

Not a bust, because he's played in the NHL for many seasons now and just got a new contract to play some more. But not an impact player. Not one forward taken after him (other than DSP) has done squat in the NHL so the Ducks didn't miss the boat on anyone here.

Solid bottom six forward at this point. Just signed a new contract to continue playing. I think he actually became what he was supposed to be and he's one of the few forwards taken in the second round of that draft that ever established themselves in the NHL so the Ducks actually did well here.

Palmieri - (1st Round/26th in 2009) - 280 NHL Games

Legit top six forward that just signed a big contract. He fulfilled his potential.

Holland - (1st Round/15th in 2009) - 195 NHL Games

Like Etem, he isn't a bust but he certainly never fulfilled his potential. That was a particularly bad draft class, though.

--------------------------BELOW ARE BEFORE MURRAY WAS THE GM--------------------------

MacMillan - (1st Round/17th in 2007) - Never played in NHL

Officially a huge bust

Like Etem and Holland he is not a bust but isn't a success story, either. The worst part is that the very next player taken was PK Subban -  :doh1:

Meanwhile you left out Rickard Rakell who is obviously a huge success story for the Ducks. It's not as bad as you portrayed it but it's not good by any stretch and there's no doubt the Ducks draft and develop defensemen far better than they do forwards. 

#66 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

Ducks need there picks to start filling in the roster as time goes by, and I mean top 6. Rakell, great, Palms lost him, now he's top 6 on another team.  Trying to fill out the top 6 via trades and signings year in and year out over the last 7 years isn't success. Ritchie needs to help out this season in a big way. The roster is quickly turning into swiss cheese.

#67 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Let's not diss Chris Wagner. He's done fairly well for a fifth round pick.

#68 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

I hesitate to include Chris Wagner only because he's only played 52 NHL games, only 27 of which have been with the Ducks and those were split over three seasons. I've not seen enough of him with the Ducks to call him a success story yet.

Let's also not forget the Ducks success in signing undrafted players. Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz are better than almost any draft pick the Ducks have had at forward since drafting Getzlaf & Perry. Let's also not forget Bobby Ryan who is a bona fide NHL top line winger.

The Ducks draft history at forward is not as bad as some of us think but the fruits of their drafting have not been enjoyed by the Ducks often enough and that needs to change. Hopefully Nick Ritchie will begin to change that.

A lot of teams would take the following results from their scouting staff/draft picks over the last 14 years, especially when you consider the Ducks only drafted one of them in the top 18 overall:
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry

Bobby Ryan

Chris Kunitz

Rickard Rakell

Kyle Palmieri

Dustin Penner

Devante Smith-Pelly

Emerson Etem

Chris Wagner

#69 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

What about Penner?  He had a good run.  Was he even drafted?

#70 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

Let's not diss Chris Wagner. He's done fairly well for a fifth round pick.

for a 5th rounder hes been fine so far. I hesitate to say he can be an NHL regular due to effort consistency, but we will see. Right now hes a firecracker for a few games before he almost seem to ware down and need a rest.

#71 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

What about Penner?  He had a good run.  Was he even drafted?

Great point, added him to the list.

#72 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

Great point, added him to the list.

It's OLD news guys. I mean we drafted Getz and Perry FOURTEEN years ago. The drafting/acquiring of forwards has been abysmal going back to Bobby Ryan who we drafted ELEVEN years ago. 

Overall our farm system has produced a lot of top players going back to Ryan - all on defense or in goal. 

#73 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

2010 draft forwards taken after Etem and DSP:

Brock Nelson

Ryan Spooner

Tyler Toffoli

Calle Jarnkrok

Oscar Lindberg

Jason Zucker

Joonas Donskoi

Brendan Gallagher

Jesper Fast

Mark Stone

2008 draft forwards taken after Deschamps and O'Dell:

Derek Stepan

Jimmy Hayes

Jori Lehtera

Adam Henrique

Gustav Nyqvist

Matt Calvert

Cam Atkinson

Tommy Wingels

As for Tangradi, my definition of a bust in the first two rounds is a guy who does not have the ability to contribute at the NHL level.  Tangradi was a minor-league ability player.  Size was his big "asset", and he did not have the talent to be an NHL player.

144 NHL games

5 goals

10 assists

4 teams (and never played for the team that drafted him)

He's a bust.

I think they have done a terrible job of drafting and/or developing forwards in the last 10 years.

#74 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

I didn't dive through the entire draft because I think that's unfair. If the Ducks had used a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that ended up being taken in the 6th round we ALL would have lost our minds. Compare them to the guys taken immediately around them and that's a fair criticism, in my opinion.

If you want the Ducks to get it right 80% of the time or more with their draft picks then I think you're being unfair to them and unrealistic.

#75 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

I'm just saying that if they draft and develop 6 forwards in 14 years that are NHL players, and only four of those turn out to be top 6 guys (so far, Rakell looks to be a very good NHL forward), then they are not doing a good job.  And only two of those four guys still play on your team.

You only play 6 dmen, you only play one goalie.  You play 12 forwards.  Maybe that is the biggest issue.  Focusing on D and G and not worrying as much about F?

I don't think it is unfair to look at an entire draft.  Lots of teams miss on guys.  And I'm not sure what you mean about us ALL losing our minds if the Ducks had drafted Tyler Toffoli instead of Etem or DSP.  Or Zucker.  Or Stone.  But maybe that's the problem.  The Ducks draft Toffoli and the Kings draft Etem and Toffoli can hardly score in the NHL and Etem is a rising superstar? Bad player development.

But I don't believe that is what is happening.  I think it is talent evaluation.

Toffoli and Zucker were both 2nd round picks, after Etem and DSP.  I'd swap those two for Etem and DSP so fast right now it would make your head spin.  At the time, the Ducks' obviously had Etem and DSP as better forwards than Toffoli and Zucker.  They were wrong.  Their job is to be right.

The Ducks took Tim Heed in the 5th round in 2010.  They could have taken Brendan Gallagher in that round or Jesper Fast OR Mark Stone in round 6.  Again, maybe OTT and MTL and NYR are better at developing talent, but 5 years later I'm not gonna defend the scouts.  They f*d up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users