318 replies to this topic

#51 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

False across the board, pending any moves/ changes BM makes.

Other than signing Vatanen, I think Murray has s* the bed so far addressing priority needs this team has.

The first need was a new HC. As much as I would like Randy Carlyle to lead us to glory again, I just don't see it. We have the same GM, the same team captain, and the same top players, except for one. I don't see how we are not going to have the EXACT same culture as when RC took the fall for the underachievement of this club. This does not point towards success in my eyes.

Second, the holes in our roster are still there. And not only has Murray not plugged them, he let them get bigger, with the exception of goaltending. Kudos to him for that, especially since it's the most important position.

Third, I am suspicious as to both assistants staying. If they are so important to this club that the new HC wasn't allowed to hire his own staff, then the new HC should have been one of them. I realize we don't know that for sure, but we don't know the opposite, either. You have to draw your own conclusions. It just doesn't pass the smell test to me. I think this is a classic case of a GM trying to make his HC be different than he is.

I sincerely hope I'm dead wrong.

#52 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Straw poll to break the boredom.

Under Randy Carlye, compared to last season's numbers/results, what are your predictions on the following:

1. The Ducks will have more wins/points this season.  True or False?

2. The offense will be more productive than last season.  True or False?

3. The defense will be more effective than last season.  True or False?

4. The team will not have a slow start to the season.  True or False?

5. The team will make the playoffs.  True or False?

6. If you answered "True" to #5, the team will go further than the second round in the playoffs.  True or False?

1. False - Team isnt as good and neither is the coach

2. False - Not as many scorers on the roster

3. True - Bieksa will be better. Fowler will be replaced with Theodore. Lindholm gets another year under the belt. I htink they are poised to be a better, more effective blueline 

4. False - Its Randy. The start will be slow

5. True - Pacific isnt great. They will be a low seed, but they will make it in

6. False - Major trades would have to happen to make this team good enough to even make it to the second round

#53 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

1. False - Team isn't as good

2. False - Need more wingers

3. True - Young guys are maturing, Fowler will get dealt before or during the season

4. False - Getz is fat.

5. True - Pacific sucks.

6. False - Big in-season moves will have to happen for any hope of that

BTW - I agree Murray has sh* the bed this offseason. After his big talk about major offseason moves coming, he has failed to do anything even sign his RFA's.

#54 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

1. False - Team isn't as good

2. False - Need more wingers

3. True - Young guys are maturing, Fowler will get dealt before or during the season

4. False - Getz is fat.

5. True - Pacific sucks.

6. False - Big in-season moves will have to happen for any hope of that

BTW - I agree Murray has sh* the bed this offseason. After his big talk about major offseason moves coming, he has failed to do anything even sign his RFA's.

The different words, though.  You forgot about him telling them different words this time.

#55 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

I didn't expect so many "True" answers on the defense the season after leading the league in goals against.  Not that I don't like the D on paper..

#56 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

I'm afraid Randy's just lickin' his chops, thinking about winning games 1-0 and 2-1.

If we go back to that muck-a-puck bulls* hockey, keeping the puck to the boards, dump & chase, and the like, I'm out. Absolute worst NHL hockey ever, guaranteed to make your team underachieve.

#57 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

We're gunna miss the playoffs so that answers all questions.

#58 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

We're gunna miss the playoffs so that answers all questions.

I cant really argue that, i mean we're certainly not a better team at this point, but do you think ARI, VAN, EDM are going to be better than us? I think the Flames could at least be close. We know LA and SJS will be two of the top teams... I think it comes down to ANA and CGY fighting for that last spot.

#59 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

On paper they don't look "better", especially compared with the mid-season acquisitions they made last season.

But often a team is better than it's parts.  We'll see.  I think most of the negativity revolves around two main issues:

1. Canning Booce and bringing back RC - mostly viewed as a big negative

2. Keeping the same core group that has been up 3-2 in a playoff series for 4 straight years and can't seal the deal.  The only real change to that is Gibson as the #1.

#60 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

I cant really argue that, i mean we're certainly not a better team at this point, but do you think ARI, VAN, EDM are going to be better than us? I think the Flames could at least be close. We know LA and SJS will be two of the top teams... I think it comes down to ANA and CGY fighting for that last spot.

I could foresee any team in the Pacific besides Vancouver being better than us next season.  I just don't see us getting past 90 points with a lack of bottom 6 talent, 2 washed up #6/7 defensemen making 7million and a coach who encourages bad hockey.

#61 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

People are underestimating how bad this season will be.

Carlyle with an one line team. Plus bad players he will overuse. It s going to be awesome.

#62 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

OK could Bob and Randy be this simplistic in their approach? Bob does the math this past spring ... "we aren't gonna have enough forwards to roll 4 lines". Then he fires a 4 line coach to bring in a 3 line coach? Call me stupid, but there's some weird kind of truth in that. 

#63 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

OK could Bob and Randy be this simplistic in their approach? Bob does the math this past spring ... "we aren't gonna have enough forwards to roll 4 lines". Then he fires a 4 line coach to bring in a 3 line coach? Call me stupid, but there's some weird kind of truth in that. 

I could definitely see that thought process.

#64 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

TinFoilHatsCCflickrHAPPYWORKER.jpg

#65 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

Rakell/Getzlaf/Perry

Cogliano/Kesler/Silfverberg

Raymond (or maybe Ritchie)/Vermette/Garbutt

Manny/Moe/and Jack

Vermette and Rakell could flip-flop.

I could see that.  That's how Carlyle likes to roll.

#66 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Under Randy Carlye, compared to last season's numbers/results, what are your predictions on the following:

1. The Ducks will have more wins/points this season.  True or False?    False.  I don't see them on an upward spiral.

2. The offense will be more productive than last season.  True or False?  False.   Same as above.

3. The defense will be more effective than last season.  True or False?  Could go either way.  Depends on who ends up being signed and playing.

4. The team will not have a slow start to the season.  True or False?  False.  Slow starts are the norm for Anaheim and once again, they open on the road. 

5. The team will make the playoffs.  True or False?  True.  Somehow they always seem to pull that off.

6. If you answered "True" to #5, the team will go further than the second round in the playoffs.  True or False?   Perhaps a better question is, if they get to a game 7, can they actually win it?

#67 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

1. The Ducks will have more wins/points this season. True or False?

FALSE - In addition to historically having slow starts, a new HC and system will take time to click in for this team.

2. The offense will be more productive than last season. True or False?

FALSE - I don't see RC all of a sudden bringing an offense minded approach to this team all though I don't expect a significant drop off in our production from last season. It will be close.

3. The defense will be more effective than last season. True or False?

TRUE - the improvement of more young players will slightly outweigh the decline of a few aging veterans.

4. The team will not have a slow start to the season. True or False? FALSE - See no. 1 above.

5. The team will make the playoffs. True or False?

TRUE - Due to overall weak Pacific Division.

6. If you answered "True" to #5, the team will go further than the second round in the playoffs. True or False?

TRUE - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that RC will break the BB ineptitude of being out-coached as a series progresses.

#68 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

1. The Ducks will have more wins/points this season.  True or False?    False.  I don't see them on an upward spiral.

2. The offense will be more productive than last season.  True or False?  False.   Same as above.

3. The defense will be more effective than last season.  True or False?  Could go either way.  Depends on who ends up being signed and playing.

4. The team will not have a slow start to the season.  True or False?  False.  Slow starts are the norm for Anaheim and once again, they open on the road. 

5. The team will make the playoffs.  True or False?  True.  Somehow they always seem to pull that off.

6. If you answered "True" to #5, the team will go further than the second round in the playoffs.  True or False?   Perhaps a better question is, if they get to a game 7, can they actually win it?

If they get to another Game 7, they'll need a witch doctor.

#69 Rooch20

Rooch20

Legend

• Members
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

False x5. I think the team is going to regress significantly this year followed by another call for a rebuild and maybe calling Getzlaf and Perry to be traded.

#70 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

False x5. I think the team is going to regress significantly this year followed by another call for a rebuild and maybe calling Getzlaf and Perry to be traded.

If they don't make the playoffs, do you think Carlyle will get canned?

How about Bob Murray? What will it take for the Samueli's to can him? Or is it possible he will quit/retire on his own if they don't make the playoffs?

#71 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

It is possible that we become the Vancouver Canucks and have to blow up this entire franchise from the top down, starting from scratch.

#72 Rooch20

Rooch20

Legend

• Members
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

If they don't make the playoffs, do you think Carlyle will get canned?

How about Bob Murray? What will it take for the Samueli's to can him? Or is it possible he will quit/retire on his own if they don't make the playoffs?

Bob will probably "step down" before anything at that point.

#73 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Bob will probably "step down" before anything at that point.

That's what I think as well.

I don't think he has it in him to fire Carlyle twice.

Hopefully we won't find out.

#74 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

That's what I think as well.

I don't think he has it in him to fire Carlyle twice.

Hopefully we won't find out.

RC will be Murrays last coach with one small exception... they win a Cup.

Anything short of winning a Cup, I think they are both canned when RC's contract is up. (2 seasons)

If they fail to make the playoffs by a significant margin, Murray is canned this season with RC's future in the hands of the next GM.

If they miss the playoffs by only a couple of points, they both make it through to next season.

#75 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

It is possible that we become the Vancouver Canucks and have to blow up this entire franchise from the top down, starting from scratch.

I think it's possible, but not likely. We still have some very talented young Dmen and Getz/Perry/Kesler aren't exactly in wheelchairs yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users