62 replies to this topic

#1 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Ive got Anaheim in 6. I think kesler will be in McDavids nightmares and I dont see RNH shutting down Getzlaf.

THe sooner we get Fowler back the better.

Notice how I didnt mention Sami? Nothing against Sami, but honestly, with the way Theo played, in round 1, we might not need Sami. Thats a pretty big "IF" though, so I hope we get a healed up Sami in round 2 to be available. Maybe swap him out for Montour?

.@ryan_kesler: "It's not about me versus McDavid. It's about the Anaheim Ducks and the Edmonton Oilers. It's bigger than one matchup."

He will be the talk of the entire series, good or bad.

#2 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Ive got Anaheim in 6. I think kesler will be in McDavids nightmares and I dont see RNH shutting down Getzlaf.

THe sooner we get Fowler back the better.

Notice how I didnt mention Sami? Nothing against Sami, but honestly, with the way Theo played, in round 1, we might not need Sami. Thats a pretty big "IF" though, so I hope we get a healed up Sami in round 2 to be available. Maybe swap him out for Montour?

He will be the talk of the entire series, good or bad.

Anaheim in 6 is what my gut tells me as well, though The Oilers are definitely a force.

Swapping out Montour in stead of Teddy is a difficult decision. Montour plays a better 200 foot game, but Teddy has 5 points. That's hard to bench. Good problem though.

#3 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Anaheim in 6 is what my gut tells me as well, though The Oilers are definitely a force.

Swapping out Montour in stead of Teddy is a difficult decision. Montour plays a better 200 foot game, but Teddy has 5 points. That's hard to bench. Good problem though.

Yeah, Im not sleeping on them but their run should end here. They have elite top talent, but the talent pool is shallow. Our depth and defensive prowess should overpower their top stars PLUS our D core is 10x better than what they are currently icing. Talbot is going to be a big question for them too.

As much as I like Theo, and as much as I think our rooks have stepped up big time, This is a brand new series and for me, they are starting from 0. The only benefit or leg up I give them as a carry over from last round is that they have earned to start game 1. Other than that, they should be evaluated like this is their first playoff game all over again.

And FWIW, Theodore outplayed Montour by a long shot last round, and not just by point total. In my eyes at least.

#4 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, Im not sleeping on them but their run should end here. They have elite top talent, but the talent pool is shallow. Our depth and defensive prowess should overpower their top stars PLUS our D core is 10x better than what they are currently icing. Talbot is going to be a big question for them too.

As much as I like Theo, and as much as I think our rooks have stepped up big time, This is a brand new series and for me, they are starting from 0. The only benefit or leg up I give them as a carry over from last round is that they have earned to start game 1. Other than that, they should be evaluated like this is their first playoff game all over again.

And FWIW, Theodore outplayed Montour by a long shot last round, and not just by point total. In my eyes at least.

Montour played a better defensive game.  He's more confident in his own zone and will actually make contact with opposing players.  Theodore has a tendency to make bad exit passes and consistently drifts out of position, unfortunately. 

#5 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Montour played a better defensive game.  He's more confident in his own zone and will actually make contact with opposing players.  Theodore has a tendency to make bad exit passes and consistently drifts out of position, unfortunately. 

Not last round. THat was my only point. Last round, Theodore was the one playing with more confidence and was the one playing better positionally. I think maybe game 1 THeo was shakey but after that, he grew up fast.

#6 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Edmonton has played some close games with the Ducks this year, but I honestly don't know what to expect after the Oilers eliminated a team that had been in a long tailspin.

#7 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Not last round. THat was my only point. Last round, Theodore was the one playing with more confidence and was the one playing better positionally. I think maybe game 1 THeo was shakey but after that, he grew up fast.

Even last round.  I think Montour and Lindholm were our most reliable pairing. 

#8 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

Even last round.  I think Montour and Lindholm were our most reliable pairing. 

Whoever is paired with out best Dman, should be the most reliable PAIRING. I would disagree that Montour played better than Theodore for 3 out of those 4 games.

#9 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Whoever is paired with out best Dman, should be the most reliable PAIRING. I would disagree that Montour played better than Theodore for 3 out of those 4 games.

Fair enough.  I think Montour played better personally, but I maybe still play Theodore for handedness reasons and for his offensive ability. 

With Montour:

Lindholm-Montour

Fowler-Manson

Vatanen-Bieksa

With Teddy:

Lindholm-Manson

Fowler-Vatanen

Theodore-Bieksa

#10 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Youve got some pretty big IFs there. Do we know the status of Vats or Fowler yet?

#11 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Youve got some pretty big IFs there. Do we know the status of Vats or Fowler yet?

They're practicing. Obviously it's not confirmed they're playing yet but hopefully.

#12 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

They're practicing. Obviously it's not confirmed they're playing yet but hopefully.

DIdnt see that until now. Good! he doesnt sound very committal (Fowler) to being back in game 1, but things sound very positive.

Interesting note from SPector

Cam Fowler (knee) and Sami Vatanen (upper body) both practising today in Anaheim. Vatanen the more tentative of the two.

Also interesting that Kesler and Lindholm didnt skate today. I wouldnt read too much into that until tomorrow though. Could just be taking an extra day as precautions due to lingering bumps bruises.

#13 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Kesler has looked a bit off. And Lindholm hasn't been as strong on his passes and shots. Hope the rest helps.

#14 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

Kesler has looked a bit off. And Lindholm hasn't been as strong on his passes and shots. Hope the rest helps.

Its that time of year where you know there are some significant injuries, you just hope that you dont hear about them until June.

Would not be surprised if 2-3 guys currently need surgeries. 

#15 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

playoffs17_rd2_edmana.gif

TFP Panel   Bamford        Bernstein         Hutcheon              Kearns            Pagnotta       Spraker          Strehle

Winner      edm.jpg IN 6         ana.jpg IN 5       ana.jpg IN 6            edm.jpg IN 7          ana.jpg IN 7     ana.jpg IN 6     edm.jpg IN 7

M.V.P.   Connor McDavid Ryan Getzlaf Jakob Silfverberg Connor McDavid Patrick Eaves Ryan Kesler Connor McDavid

So TFP has it split, and I like that they do the MVP guess as well as the series overall. But this is extremely telling. Notice, each guy who picks the Ducks has a different series MVP. Notice every guy who picks the Oil has the same one.

#16 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Insert your own joke here, but FWIW ESPN is more lopsided in favor of the Ducks.

#17 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

Insert your own joke here, but FWIW ESPN is more lopsided in favor of the Ducks.

Majority of places are tilted towards ANA. TFP is the only one so far, that has been split.

#18 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

I think the Ducks will take the series in 5 or 6 games. I don't see this series going to 7 games.

#19 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

I don't like when experts pick us.  It's weird.

#20 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

I think the Ducks will take the series in 5 or 6 games. I don't see this series going to 7 games.

I do. EDM is fast, and they forechecked aggressively the last 2 times we played; made our zone exits more difficult. We'll need to pull back quickly when we lose possession to avoid odd-man rushes. But I think Gibby will be better than Talbot, and if Kesler can keep a lid on McDavid, we will come out on top. But I think it'll take 7.

#21 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

I would feel very nervous about going into a game 7 (due to the curse), but would love to come out of it with that monkey off our backs.

#22 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

I would feel very nervous about going into a game 7 (due to the curse), but would love to come out of it with that monkey off our backs.

If we were to win a game 7, it would be a HUGE confidence builder for this team.

#23 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

I'm hoping that the monkey's in Minnesota, now.

Just sayin'

#24 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Here here!!!  I'll drink to that.

#25 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan