• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

Post your pre-game, in-game, and post-game comments here.

:ana:   vs   :edm:

(3  -  3)

Honda Center

7 p.m. PDT

TV: NBCSN, TVAS, SN

Radio: AM 830 KLAA

"We've had rough stretches throughout the year that we've been able to bounce back from," said Jakob Silfverberg. "We've had some tough breaks in the playoffs that we learned a lot from. This is an experienced group that has been through a lot. It's going to be a tough game mentally and physically, but I think we have the experience to handle it."

game preview

game notes

#2 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

It's hard to believe we're doing this for the 5th season in a row.

God Save the Ducks

#3 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

For better (hopefully) or for worse (let's hope not), tonight's game will be MONUMENTAL.

Ducks will either finally break the dreaded four consecutive playoff game 7 losses/curse (after being up 3 games to 2) with a win or they will forever seal their fate as the team that did it 5 playoffs in a row with a loss at home.

Ducks were destined to eventually face this sometime.

#4 Ducky_John

Ducky_John

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Ducks Hockey!

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

Tonight is the ultimate test for Carlyle, isn't it? Isn't that the main reason for kicking BB and bringing him back? 

#5 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

Let's go Ducks! Today I put everything aside and just root for our team.

#6 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Tonight is the ultimate test for Carlyle, isn't it? Isn't that the main reason for kicking BB and bringing him back? 

That's one way of looking at it.

The other way of looking at it is that it is the ultimate test for Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Cogliano - here for all 5 of these postseasons -, and, to a slightly lesser degree, Silfverberg,  Lindholm, Vatanen, Gibson (4 seasons), Kesler (3 seasons plus a Game 6 loss on the road followed by a Game 7 loss at home with VAN after being up 3-2 on BOS in the Cup Final), Thompson (3 seasons) and to a still slighter degree Bieksa (two seasons here and the same as Kesler with VAN).

All of those guys (excluding Bieksa) have been here for the bulk of this.

So, the players can't be using the coach, either Booce or HCRC, as an excuse.  Unless they want to escape responsibility.  Then it'll work.

They just have to go out and win.

#7 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

I think its the Ultimate Bruce test. New year, different coach, same team, same GM.

Just f*ing WIN! If you blow another series with a 3-2 lead, I want blood flowing through the management doors. I want the axe to fall heavy and fast.

#8 wildwing94

wildwing94

Unofficial mascot of AllDucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, playing tennis, my wife, my doggie, computers, video games.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

One thing I always tell myself before games like this: Enjoy it no matter what happens as it may be the last time you see this whole team together and it may be the last time you see certain players wearing that Ducks jersey.

That said, let's break this stupid curse.

#9 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

That's one way of looking at it.

The other way of looking at it is that it is the ultimate test for Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Cogliano - here for all 5 of these postseasons -, and, to a slightly lesser degree, Silfverberg,  Lindholm, Vatanen, Gibson (4 seasons), Kesler (3 seasons plus a Game 6 loss on the road followed by a Game 7 loss at home with VAN after being up 3-2 on BOS in the Cup Final), Thompson (3 seasons) and to a still slighter degree Bieksa (two seasons here and the same as Kesler with VAN).

All of those guys (excluding Bieksa) have been here for the bulk of this.

So, the players can't be using the coach, either Booce or HCRC, as an excuse.  Unless they want to escape responsibility.  Then it'll work.

They just have to go out and win.

Here's yet another way of looking at it:

Despite having home ice (a very argued advantage) and being up 3-2, they have been the second best team in all of those series - DET, LAK, CHI, NSH.  Not individual talent or match-ups, but team v. team.

And tonight, the winner will be the best team in the series.

#10 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Here's yet another way of looking at it:

Despite having home ice (a very argued advantage) and being up 3-2, they have been the second best team in all of those series - DET, LAK, CHI, NSH.  Not individual talent or match-ups, but team v. team.

And tonight, the winner will be the best team in the series.

I disagree with that assessment of those series. Its easy to say "the team that wins is better", but I dont think LA, CHI or NSH were the better overall teams. I think they had the right recipe for closing out a series, but I dont believe they were better teams.

#11 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

I disagree with that assessment of those series. Its easy to say "the team that wins is better", but I dont think LA, CHI or NSH were the better overall teams. I think they had the right recipe for closing out a series, but I dont believe they were better teams.

DET is the one you chose to leave out? They beat us in OT 3 times. If we were better than any of those teams, it was definitely Detroit.

#12 Wigeon

Wigeon

Legend

• Members
  • 8,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

Dear Ducks,

Just win tonight (I know you can do it) and everybody's happy (fans) and off the hook, GM, coach, and players.

LET'S GO DUCKS!

#13 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

DET is the one you chose to leave out? They beat us in OT 3 times. If we were better than any of those teams, it was definitely Detroit.

I left out DET because I hardly remember the series and dont remember being too overly optimistic about that team.

#14 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

"In Game 7, you want to do so much," said Cam Fowler. "You want to help your team in any way you can, and sometimes you end up doing too much or you do things you're not accustomed to doing in the season. You have to walk that fine line of competing, like we're all going to do, but also staying within yourself and keeping things simple. I definitely feel like I'm more prepared this time around than the first few."

link

#15 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Dan Wood‏ @Duckscolorman 2 hours ago
#NHLDucks coach Randy Carlyle said C @NateThompson44 is good to go tonight, and @kbieksa3 "could" be an option, if he is cleared medically.

https://twitter.com/...367723686207489

#16 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

“As soon as you start to change things, then there’s this hint of why are we doing this?” Carlyle said. “We’ve never done this before. Why? And, to me, the message that I’ve always sold … that I always like when we’re going to stay the course. We’re going to be better than we were in the last game. That should be very easy for us to take that approach. Because we couldn’t be any worse in our minds.

“So that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to take it and we’re going to prepare our group. We’re going to do the things that we deem are necessary and we’ve done it all year. And we’ve had poor performances before and bounced back. That’s what we’re looking for.”

link

#17 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

I left out DET because I hardly remember the series and dont remember being too overly optimistic about that team.

Fair enough. That 2013 Ducks team wasn't great. But neither was that Detroit team.

#18 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

That series (with Detroit) was frustrating to watch.  They were very good at lifting the sticks at the moment that any Duck tried to shoot, or pass.  I know every team does that, but damn they had a knack for it.  Every time I thought we were in a good position to score, bam, stick lifted, turnover.

#19 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

I can't follow your logic.  

Two teams play 7 games.  After 6 games they are tied at 3-3.  One team wins the 7th game.  But they are not better.  They just know how to win 4 before losing 4?  Is that the sum of it?

To me, that means they are a better team.

#20 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

I can't follow your logic.

They being the team that won

or you think becuase the other teams closed out the series and Anaheim didnt, they had to obviously be the better teams?

#21 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

They being the team that won

Right.  Making them better than their opponent.  At least that's how I see it.  Unless it's just bad luck, or good luck, or dumb luck, or whatever.

If they played those teams in an 11-game series they would probably lose it 5-6, getting beaten 5-2 in game 11.

#22 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Right.  Making them better than their opponent.  At least that's how I see it.  Unless it's just bad luck, or good luck, or dumb luck, or whatever.

Ok, I just dont see it that way. Just like I dont believe the Sens are better than 14 other teams in the East. Like I said, I think in at least 3 of those 4 series, the Ducks were the better team who just couldnt finish for whatever reason.

And Ill add. Thats the reason the game 7 losses piss me off so much, because we were the better team and shat away those series.

#23 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Anyway, I don't give two f***s about all that because it's history.

JUST WIN, BABY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just dont see it that way. Just like I dont believe the Sens are better than 14 other teams in the East. Like I said, I think in at least 3 of those 4 series, the Ducks were the better team who just couldnt finish for whatever reason.

But they are better than the Bruins and the Rangers.  Just like the Preds are better than the Blackhawks and the Blues.

#24 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

If they played those teams in an 11-game series they would probably lose it 5-6, getting beaten 5-2 in game 11.

Ok, then why would you be mad about losing game 7 to all of those teams?

Question for the entire room. If the Ducks were not the better team the past 4 years when they lost game 7, why would you be upset? If you truely get beat by a better team, nothing to be mad about. Right?

#25 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Ok, then why would you be mad about losing game 7 to all of those teams?

Question for the entire room. If the Ducks were not the better team the past 4 years when they lost game 7, why would you be upset? If you truely get beat by a better team, nothing to be mad about. Right?

I can't speak for anyone else but my feelings have always been more of disappointed in those situations as opposed to mad.  I'm not throwing things or kicking my dog or anything like that.

Why would I be disappointed?  Because my team has gone up 3-2 four straight years and then lost the series. All with home ice advantage, marking them as the favorite.  They appeared to be the better team after 5 games, but that proved to not be true over 7 games, which is the standard.

(Bold and italics for emphasis)

Here is yet ANOTHER way to look at it.

4 straight years.

A one-game playoff.

Which team is better that day?

(Actually, it's been a 2-game playoff, and all you have to do is split.  Win one of the two, first one, second one, doesn't matter.  Just don't lose two straight....)

If you believe they have been the better team in all of those situations, then damn are they unlucky.  That is some SERIOUS bad juju.

WIN AND YOU'RE IN!!!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Round 2, Game 7, Playoffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users