#1 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

Here's the first name on the trading block mentioned this season:

The word is Murray is trying desperately to make a roster move before somebody gets fired. We've been told he's listening to offers for defenceman Cam Fowler but will only consider a move to an Eastern Conference team and will want a boatload in return to make that deal happen.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/10/31/murray-may-take-fall-for-duck-droppings

Personally, I think it would be a disaster to lose Fowler right now.

He's one of the FEW guys who's actually skating hard consistently on the team right now.

For all the problems we've had moving the puck, transitioning and through the neutral zone cleanly and with speed, etc., can you imagine how much worse it could have been without Fowler???

Unless, of course, Erik Karlsson is coming back the other way... (riiiiiight, and there's a stack of snowballs in Hell)

But one thing I will say: it would certainly be a strong message to the locker room to send Cam away

#2 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

Or it would be just dumb.

#3 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

What message? Play well, pack you bags.

#4 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

What message? Play well, pack you bags.

Play well? I wouldn't go that far.

He's not been all that good defensively. 

#5 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Well look, who else on our team is anyone gonna trade for? You can't trade away the guys playing lousy, no one wants them.

I'm not advocating trading Fowler necessarily, but I am saying that at some point Lindholm/Fowler/Vatanen/Despres all under 25 years old an Nobody/Nothing/zero/Richie all under 25 is an imbalanced roster. 

#6 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

I don't know that another roster move move will make a difference; I mean, what one player could we possibly bring in to get things going?

We made plenty of moves over the summer. Maybe I've greatly underestimated how difficult it is to get new players to learn and assimilate into new systems and a new team. I'd like to hear Troy's input on this - you've been there, right? Skill for skill, I do not believe we became a worse team over the summer.

This team has got to pull itself up from it's own bootstraps, and that begins with Getz, Perry and Kesler. Starting to wonder if there's a bit of leadership conflict happening, what with Kesler getting an 'A.'

I do know that we're not using the speed we've added; too many dump-ins, too many stretch passes, guys not finding ways to get open. We are backchecking better, one the reasons we're not getting blown out. And we can't make a pass to save our lives.

But it's gotta come from within; and if there's any conflict, it needs to get settled NOW.

#7 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

I don't know that another roster move move will make a difference; I mean, what one player could we possibly bring in to get things going?

We made plenty of moves over the summer. Maybe I've greatly underestimated how difficult it is to get new players to learn and assimilate into new systems and a new team. I'd like to hear Troy's input on this - you've been there, right? Skill for skill, I do not believe we became a worse team over the summer.

This team has got to pull itself up from it's own bootstraps, and that begins with Getz, Perry and Kesler. Starting to wonder if there's a bit of leadership conflict happening, what with Kesler getting an 'A.'

I do know that we're not using the speed we've added; too many dump-ins, too many stretch passes, guys not finding ways to get open. We are backchecking better, one the reasons we're not getting blown out. And we can't make a pass to save our lives.

But it's gotta come from within; and if there's any conflict, it needs to get settled NOW.

FTR, this Troy Loney is not that Troy Loney.

And at this point of the season, they are not going to get anybody with a high skill set without MASSIVE OVERPAYMENT (the higher end Canadian journalists have been mentioning that).

Apart from a miracle match-up of need with another team, this trade wouldn't be so much of a hockey deal, as a locker room shaker.

#8 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

This Troy Loney is not that Troy Loney.

Oh. Damn.

#9 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

If we trade any of our younger dmen it should be Vatanen. He's the one who needs a contract after this season.

Troy Loney does enjoy acting like he is Troy Loney.

#10 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

If we trade any of our younger dmen it should be Vatanen. He's the one who needs a contract after this season.

Which makes him less valuable. 

I'm not saying that as a "gotcha", only saying it in that as much as we (and DATW) love Vatanen, he's not gonna be valued as much as Cam.

As to JLL's point, well he's right but I think the organization is pretty close to desperate. If we get to a point where the 8th spot is out of reach, and we get there by, say, Christmas, then this is going to be a massive financial hit on the club. As much as we might be die hards here, that rink is gonna be empty with a 13th place team and/or full of out of of town fans getting STH's tickets for half price (or free).  It's not just an "oh no we wasted a year of Getz and Perry" it's a "if we are in last place a month from now that's gonna cost us 15 million in revenue this year". 

The choices laid out by the media are:

Fire the Coach

Trade for a Scorer

Now, I agree with you. Trade for a scorer is a DUMBASS idea. No one is gonna give you a SCORER unless it's a guy that scores and is sucky at everything else, or unless it's a guy having a Beleskey season UNLESS you give them way overvalue right now. And what good is a scorer gonna do us if he isn't scoring like 3 a game?

My suggestion remains - stick with the plan. I'm sorry but still I say 10 games does not mean your team sucks. Fire the coach if you have to cause I never thought it's him that made 13th place into 1st place and I don't think it's him that turned Cup favorite into Worst team in the league, so unless you are giving some bum a 10 year contract go ahead and can Bruce if you HAVE to do something. 

IF and ONLY IF you find that the season is done, then you start looking for a team that might OVERPAY to have Cam Fowler (or whoever not picking on him) be the guy that puts them over the top and get some high potential or even PROVEN young forwards in here, preferably one that is better than Silvfer and Sekac etc.

The alternative is just a "shake up" deal. Trade a mid level player for a mid level replacement just to change the "energy" and attitude around the team. Kind of a "what could it hurt" move.

I don't think in the entire history of pro sports anyone as played 1/8 of the season in last place, and just been able to make a phone call and pick up a grade A player for fair value. So the media's constant trade talk to me is stupid. It's not gonna happen and if it does it would be stupid. 

#11 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

Vatanen is not that much less valuable than Cam.  Teams value numbers and right handed defenders.  Would he fetch  a lesser return than Fowler?  Probably.  But we'd also be keeping a better defenceman.  Not to mention, Theodore is on the way.

#12 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Now this is all Eklund so take it with a block of salt but he does tend to repeat some of the rumors already out there or embellish on them a bit...

a ton of trade speculation that Frederik Andersen and another player could be heading out in what would be the season's first blockbuster deal. I am told a team in the Atlantic is the most likely candidate....

I am hearing the Bruins are trying to get Cam Fowler out of Anaheim. 

* Hearing a ton of chatter this Monday regarding the Ducks and Bruins as well as the Ducks and Sabres....

* Cam Fowler looks to be the player both Boston and Buffalo want, although the Sabres as have interest in Andersen to sure up the team between the pipes. The Sabres have some extra picks and the price could be steep, but for the Bruins it may be a little easier if Loui Eriksson were to be included in a deal for just Fowler....

So Cam and Freddy seem to be the big names here, as we have also heard from other sources.

I dont see the Sabres going after Freddy. They gave up quite a bit to get Lehner and even though hes hurt, I dont think they would waste assets on another goalie.

I question what either the Bruins or Sabers would be giving in return. Eriksson could be a boost but it would take far more than just Eriksson to land Fowler. Unless of course they could flip Freddy for a top blueliner and then have Gibson take the net?

#13 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

Now this is all Eklund so take it with a block of salt but he does tend to repeat some of the rumors already out there or embellish on them a bit...

So Cam and Freddy seem to be the big names here, as we have also heard from other sources.

I dont see the Sabres going after Freddy. They gave up quite a bit to get Lehner and even though hes hurt, I dont think they would waste assets on another goalie.

I question what either the Bruins or Sabers would be giving in return. Eriksson could be a boost but it would take far more than just Eriksson to land Fowler. Unless of course they could flip Freddy for a top blueliner and then have Gibson take the net?

Trading Fowler PLUS Andersen right now would not only be unplugging a leak in the dyke, it would be nuc-ing the whole thing at one.

Making a trade like that right now would be flushing this season down the crapper.

I think dealing the both of them would be more of a ballbuster than a blockbuster for us.

#14 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Trading Fowler PLUS Andersen right now would not only be unplugging a leak in the dyke, it would be nuc-ing the whole thing at one.

Making a trade like that right now would be flushing this season down the crapper.

I think dealing the both of them would be more of a ballbuster than a blockbuster for us.

I dont disagree, but I think it really depends on what you are getting back. Gibson has a contract in place, Andersen doesnt. If you trade Freddy to a desperate team, you could probably get a pretty big return. If part of that return is a stud Dman (I saw in another thread that Weeks suggested Andersen for Giordano which I dont think would ever happen) then maybe Fowler becomes expendable. Or if not expendable at least a bit easier to part with. If you can then flip Fowler for a scoring winger +, I dunno if thats the worst thing.

#15 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

Vatanen is not that much less valuable than Cam.  Teams value numbers and right handed defenders.  Would he fetch  a lesser return than Fowler?  Probably.  But we'd also be keeping a better defenceman.  Not to mention, Theodore is on the way.

I disagree with you, I think that Cam being signed for this season and two more full seasons at 4 mill per is a much better trading chip than Vatanen who someone has to sign before next year. I have the feeling Sami is going to be a TOUGH signing for anyone. Cam's numbers offensively are just slightly behind Sami. But the problem I see is Sami was 3/8 for 11 points in last years playoffs and our leading D scorer last year and his agent is just gonna be rolling his eyes and saying "get serious" when we try to sign him for Cams numbers and ask for two years of his UFA status too. 

You think maybe that early in the season we were looking at Khudobin to see if he could hold down the role and we could MOVE Freddy, call up Gibson and go Gibson/Khudobin? 

I can't imagine Bruce would just flat out LIE about the reasoning, but maybe I'm naive, and maybe that's what was going on until we got so screwed we had to just run with Freddy. I can't see us trading him right now, we have to get back in the hunt.

#16 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

I dont disagree, but I think it really depends on what you are getting back. Gibson has a contract in place, Andersen doesnt. If you trade Freddy to a desperate team, you could probably get a pretty big return. If part of that return is a stud Dman (I saw in another thread that Weeks suggested Andersen for Giordano which I dont think would ever happen) then maybe Fowler becomes expendable. Or if not expendable at least a bit easier to part with. If you can then flip Fowler for a scoring winger +, I dunno if thats the worst thing.

How about Andersen to BUF for Evander Kane, straight up?

#17 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

You think maybe that early in the season we were looking at Khudobin to see if he could hold down the role and we could MOVE Freddy, call up Gibson and go Gibson/Khudobin? 

I can't imagine Bruce would just flat out LIE about the reasoning, but maybe I'm naive, and maybe that's what was going on until we got so screwed we had to just run with Freddy. I can't see us trading him right now, we have to get back in the hunt.

Extremely possible and I dont disagree with that reasoning either. Maybe the hole is too big right now to trade Freddy. Maybe Bob wants to wait on that now until the Ducks get back into the mix. Its also possible that this start has ruined any chance of trading Freddy because they werent able to built a comfy lead.

However, if big name players are offered up for these 2, I think you have to at least listen and consider making a deal that shores up the top 6 forwards a bit and adds to your blueline. 

Gibson has shown he can be a big time goalie. Hes also shown some mechanics issues and tendency to let in the soft goal. Its a risk but a risk that could pay off

How about Andersen to BUF for Evander Kane, straight up?

Not sure. My first reaction was NO because Kane has been having a rough time with injuries lately, but the dude can put up points when healthy.

#18 seesaws

seesaws

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

On Andersen's name coming up:

Is Gisbon hurt right now? I thought I saw on Twitter that the backup Hackett(?) came in mid-game the other day. Then they recalled a goalie from the ECHL.

#19 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

On Andersen's name coming up:

Is Gisbon hurt right now? I thought I saw on Twitter that the backup Hackett(?) came in mid-game the other day. Then they recalled a goalie from the ECHL.

Nursing a back strain which they do not believe to be serious

#20 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Not sure. My first reaction was NO because Kane has been having a rough time with injuries lately, but the dude can put up points when healthy.

Yeah, I'm just throwing crap against the wall to see if anything sticks, really.

One thing I do believe is that Loui Erikkson isn't the answer for us at LW. At least not giving up good, YOUNG talent to get him.

#21 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, I'm just throwing crap against the wall to see if anything sticks, really.

One thing I do believe is that Loui Erikkson isn't the answer for us at LW. At least not giving up good, YOUNG talent to get him.

I think it depends on what else comes back with Eriksson. Hes playing great hockey right now, arguably one of the Bruins best players. Hes 30 which fits with our core guys, he can play the PP and PK, and he's a 20 goal guy.

#22 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

I think it depends on what else comes back with Eriksson. Hes playing great hockey right now, arguably one of the Bruins best players. Hes 30 which fits with our core guys, he can play the PP and PK, and he's a 20 goal guy.

First, why would anything else come back with him? Please don't tell me because we are giving them Fowler PLUS Andersen. That would be nuts giving them TWO guys that are new speed era guys, to get back someone who isn't... and who actually, as you describe (and I agree), fits with our two cows.

#23 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

First, why would anything else come back with him? Please don't tell me because we are giving them Fowler PLUS Andersen. That would be nuts giving them TWO guys that are new speed era guys, to get back someone who isn't... and who actually, as you describe (and I agree), fits with our two cows.

Why would anything else come back? Because they would need to pay more in order to get Fowler. No way do I do a Fowler/Eriksson swap.

And have no need for Andersen.

#24 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

eriksson, marchand and chara are all "on the block" according to some.

#25 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

As the original captain of the Mighty Ducks and a guy that was traded a few times in my career, I know what it means to get dealt. You feel like your team didn't want you any longer and that you failed them. Even if that's not the case, that's how it feels and that's how you take it. That's why so many guys do well when they play against a team that traded them - they want to show that the team made a mistake.

I'm not advocating a trade at this point unless it's a clear upgrade for the Ducks. Trading to change up the chemistry could simply delay the progress this group has made in finding itself and that would be counter-productive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users