1113 replies to this topic

#1101 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

I never understood the Dan Wood hiring. He doesnt have a voice for radio, he doesnt bring a whole lot to the broadcast and his background is 'meh' at best. Get a color guy who used to be a player and has some energy to him.

The guys last night calling the game, HAVE to be EDM guys. Which, ok, if that the way its going to go, fine. Have Hazy call the game for NBCSN when the Ducks are the home team. But thats not how it is. And I'll give Hazy credit, when he does national broadcasts he does a pretty good job of not being a homer. It comes out at times, but its really subdued.

I dont understand what they are trying to do with these guys. They have to understand that in the playoffs, its not just the 2 teams fans tuning in and even if McJesus is playing, there is a guy on the otherside who has won at every single level, has multiple gold medals and a Stanley Cup. If McDavid could have Getzlafs resume when he hangs them up, hed be damn happy. How about shining some of that spot light on the guy whose already done it all and is having possibly the best playoff performance we've ever seen out of the guy?

You know what they say ... follow the $$$. Dan was coming off an assignment with the OC Register covering pro hockey, meaning he was making ZERO dollars and was cheap. He'd been around the team and it's PR department for years .. you know the guy in the locker room asking the "hard hitting" questions. Someone liked him.

The voice is the same nasal irritant, but I will say the delivery is better. I think whatever speech problem he has he tried to overcome by enunciating the s* out of words, but he's more comfortable now. HOWEVER, exactly as you say he adds absolutely ZERO to the broadcast. No insight, no humor, no "turn of a phrase" I mean this is the most black and white guy to ever be a "color" commentator.

And I want to drive off the road and down a cliff every time I hear him ask a question of a player in the post game show "so, Jackob, we noticed that on that play you shifted backward away from traffic to get open, then you moved one skate in front of the other in a sliding motion as if skating, and got in position to shoot. I also noticed that when the puck came to you, you thusly shot it toward the upper corner of the goal, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-L-Y away from the keeper of the goal, otherwise known as the goaltender. Since it was in overtime and, as we all know, "first goal wins" you therefore won the game and were awarded the game winning goal. Describe the goal I just spent 5 minutes describing for us please".

I haven't listened to the radio broadcast so far but that is disappointing that you are saying they are just as bad.

I also never understood the Dan Wood thing. Neither his hiring nor his analysis is easy to understand.

Steve Carrol is AWESOME. 

#1102 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

I haven't listened to the radio broadcast so far but that is disappointing that you are saying they are just as bad.

I also never understood the Dan Wood thing. Neither his hiring nor his analysis is easy to understand.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are just as bad.

At least they talk about the Ducks and aren't addicted to constantly fellating the McOilers.

But what I am saying is they do seem to be inffected with this "EDM deserves to win" mentality that is so damn pervasive in the NHL-sanctioned coverage. They were just plain apologetic that the Ducks were coming out on the better side of the EDM challenges to our goals.

Wood especially was being so damn skeptical towards Perry's slight contact with Talbot and Silfverberg's close call with being onside, and just about very other close play that to me he's just tilting our radio booth's coverage the same directing the rest of the media is tilting. The facts are this with those two denials of the EDM appeals:

1. Nobody but the refs and the Situation Room saw the very best video angle of the claimed offsides. They came to the conclusion that the linesmen were correct in their call that Silfverberg was indeed onside. But Dan Wood didn't say squat about that critical, overriding fact. He failed to mention that his opinion that Silfverberg was offsides was based on not seeing the best angle of the play. He needed to admit that.

2. He did not base his view of Perry's contact with Talbot on the critical question: Did it impede Talbots ability to make a play on the puck? All he kept saying was "well you can clearly see Perry made contact with Talbot", to which the correct response is "So f*ing what if there is contact. That's not the threshold to call goalie interference". He mentioned it in passing at the very end, but did not correct himself and continued to mention "contact". Irritating as hell.

To me, he's now dragging Steve Carrol down. Get him the hell out of that booth. Steve deserves better as a broadcast partner.

#1103 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

We need Parros on color. 

#1104 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

We need Parros on color. 

The Samuelis need him in the front office to better figure out how to make this franchise profitable. He could also be the Sargent at Arms.

Brad May would be a great color guy, but I don't think we're prying him away from his homeland.

#1105 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

We need Parros on color. 

The Samuelis need him in the front office to better figure out how to make this franchise profitable. He could also be the Sargent at Arms.

Brad May would be a great color guy, but I don't think we're prying him away from his homeland.

Teemu.  Accent FTW!!!!!!!

#1106 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

We dont need actual compitent hockey guys to be wasted on Radio. Parros has the brain to be a GM. 

Get someone we used to like a long time ago... Pronger Jr or something.

#1107 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

The color guy we had on the radio in 07 - 08 was the best.  He moved back to Dallas.  Can't remember his name.

#1108 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

We won't spend that kind of money. Honestly I bet Dan Wood doesn't make 100k.

The color guy we had on the radio in 07 - 08 was the best.  He moved back to Dallas.  Can't remember his name.

I'm trying to think of a couple of his phrases. He was FUNNY!

#1109 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

We won't spend that kind of money. Honestly I bet Dan Wood doesn't make 100k.

I'm trying to think of a couple of his phrases. He was FUNNY!

Brent Sevryn

#1110 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

It's also a bummer how bad HNIC has become. I know it's Canadian, but that's always been a great network for hockey and pretty fair coverage. Whether they're doing a game between the Canucks and Coyotes it always "felt" like both teams were Canadian. I will always choose that network when it's available to me. They're just as bad as NBCSN is in these playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are just as bad.

At least they talk about the Ducks and aren't addicted to constantly fellating the McOilers.

But what I am saying is they do seem to be inffected with this "EDM deserves to win" mentality that is so damn pervasive in the NHL-sanctioned coverage. They were just plain apologetic that the Ducks were coming out on the better side of the EDM challenges to our goals.

Wood especially was being so damn skeptical towards Perry's slight contact with Talbot and Silfverberg's close call with being onside, and just about very other close play that to me he's just tilting our radio booth's coverage the same directing the rest of the media is tilting. The facts are this with those two denials of the EDM appeals:

1. Nobody but the refs and the Situation Room saw the very best video angle of the claimed offsides. They came to the conclusion that the linesmen were correct in their call that Silfverberg was indeed onside. But Dan Wood didn't say squat about that critical, overriding fact. He failed to mention that his opinion that Silfverberg was offsides was based on not seeing the best angle of the play. He needed to admit that.

2. He did not base his view of Perry's contact with Talbot on the critical question: Did it impede Talbots ability to make a play on the puck? All he kept saying was "well you can clearly see Perry made contact with Talbot", to which the correct response is "So f*ing what if there is contact. That's not the threshold to call goalie interference". He mentioned it in passing at the very end, but did not correct himself and continued to mention "contact". Irritating as hell.

To me, he's now dragging Steve Carrol down. Get him the hell out of that booth. Steve deserves better as a broadcast partner.

Fair enough, I should have said it better I didn't think you actually meant "just as bad".

I'm watching these games on a delayed stream so I haven't been using radio because it doesn't sync up. Maybe I'll try something to get Carrol on instead of the national tools.

#1111 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Brent Sevryn

BAM!

#1112 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Brent Sevryn

Yeahhhh I liked that dude

#1113 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Sevryn was good.

#1114 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

It's also a bummer how bad HNIC has become. I know it's Canadian, but that's always been a great network for hockey and pretty fair coverage. Whether they're doing a game between the Canucks and Coyotes it always "felt" like both teams were Canadian. I will always choose that network when it's available to me. They're just as bad as NBCSN is in these playoffs.

Fair enough, I should have said it better I didn't think you actually meant "just as bad".

I'm watching these games on a delayed stream so I haven't been using radio because it doesn't sync up. Maybe I'll try something to get Carrol on instead of the national tools.

Yeah, I have to fart with it to get it somewhat synched. Pause one or the other to let it get caught up.

I can honestly say that Steve Carrol calls the game with the exact same emotion for both sides, no matter which team is doing what.

He calls the ice hockey action, not the bidding of his employer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users