62 replies to this topic

#51 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

I understand what you are saying but I also tend to believe that teams create their own luck, calls, breaks and ultimately wins.

In other words, EDM has earned and deserves their 2-0 series lead.

You missed the part where I said "they are just getting beat".

Nothing is going their way.  I think the teams are evenly matched, and right now they are just on the wrong side of things.  EDM has been better.  I've posted that earlier, maybe in another thread.

I don't think the only reason they have been losing is luck, but luck has not been a friend of theirs the first two games.

Not really; 5-on-5 we've outplayed them both games IMHO. The PK has been awful, Talbot's been amazing. Now so far, 5-on-5 hasn't been enough. We gotta stay out of the box, get the PP clicking, and find a way to shake up Talbot.

You don't think the have been chasing the game the first two games?  You think they have been in control, in command the first two games?

#52 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

I understand what you are saying but I also tend to believe that teams create their own luck, calls, breaks and ultimately wins.

In other words, EDM has earned and deserves their 2-0 series lead IMO.

Same here.

I don't understand this notion that we've played well enough to win either of these games. If that makes you feel better, fine. But it isn't close to reality.

The Oil came into our barn and did EXACTLY what they intended to do, and we couldn't stop them.

They've had this series firmly in their grip from the opening puck drop. They were even gracious guests and let us score the first goal, which we didn't make count.

I am also of the opinion that their coaching staff has had the upper hand on ours. Their strengths are working for them, exploiting our weaknesses, and even opening up unexpected contributions, like offense from the defensive corps of theirs.

You think they have been in control, in command the first two games?

See above.

And while I see the point about not getting much puck luck (especially compared to the CGY series), I also think that the Oil has gotten in their heads. That has created some luck for them.

#53 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

You don't think the have been chasing the game the first two games?  You think they have been in control, in command the first two games?

No, I don't. Don't equate "outplayed" with "in control" or "in command." I'm not saying we dominated, I'm saying we had the better of the play at even strength. I agree we've had some bad luck but that's not why we lost. We lost because of too many penalties and giving up PP goals. They did not have their way with us at even strength by ANY means.

If we clean up those issues I mentioned, we will win the series.

The other thing we need to do is find a way to neutralize their aggressive forecheck and get better breakouts.

#54 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

You missed the part where I said "they are just getting beat".

No I understood that. I was actually agreeing with your comment that things weren't going the Ducks way.

My comment about teams in general and EDM specifically earning their luck wasn't a counter argument to your post but rather an opportunity to point out that luck, PP's etc are generally earned; that's all.

In other words, my quote of your post was a springboard to make a point rather than a counterpoint if that makes sense.

#55 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

I just think EDM's been better, but not by much.  But that is often the case in a playoff series.

And special teams have most definitely been the difference.

It will be interesting to see if they play better or worse when they don't have the last change and can't hard match.  In a way, I feel like they are more concerned with keeping EDM from being successful and less concerned with being successful themselves, if that makes sense.

#56 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

For all the announcers and pundits falling over themselves to point out just how well McDavid is doing in the playoffs here's a comparison of his stats to some of the Ducks.

McDavid 3G/3A = 6 points

Getz 5G/4A = 9 points

Silfverberg 6G/2A = 8 points

Theodore 2G/5A = 7 points

Rakell 3G/3A = 6 points

#57 misterdna

misterdna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

For all the announcers and pundits falling over themselves to point out just how well McDavid is doing in the playoffs here's a comparison of his stats to some of the Ducks.

McDavid 3G/3A = 6 points

Getz 5G/4A = 9 points

Rakell 3G/3A = 6 points

What's even more impressive about the Ducks stats is that they've played less games and still have more points.

#58 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

McDavid 3G/3A = 6 points

Getz 5G/4A = 9 points

Rakell 3G/3A = 6 points

Yeah it's really annoying. It's like Crosby all over again.

#59 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Maybe tomorrow night it will be like Crosby all over again, minus the 5-minute major.

#60 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Not really. It took me 3 years to get sick of Crosby; it's only taken 3 days to get sick of McDavid.

#61 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Not really. It took me 3 years to get sick of Crosby; it's only taken 3 days to get sick of McDavid.

I got sick of Crosby because of him as a person combined with the hype. McDavid actually seems like an alright dude. But the media worship may be even worse.

#62 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

I thought Crosby seemed alright at first.  His attitude evolved as his ego was stroked.  Also, we didn't have to play Crosby in the playoffs.  That is a big difference.

I got sick of Johnny Hockey pretty quick as well.

#63 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

I thought Crosby seemed alright at first.  His attitude evolved as his ego was stroked.  Also, we didn't have to play Crosby in the playoffs.  That is a big difference.

I got sick of Johnny Hockey pretty quick as well.

I thought Crosby was even worse as a youngin'. He felt entitled to every call, every play and just carried himself with such a douchey demeaned. He actually seems to have grown up a little now, but still doesn't carry himself with class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users