246 replies to this topic

#226 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Right? Ok so our 2nd line is now Silfver/Rakell/Cogs OR were turning that into our 3rd line with Vermette int he middle?

Ok so lets say thats the road they go down...

Ritchie/Getz/Eaves
Someone/Rakell/Perry
Silfver/Vermette/Cogs

I mean unless they are going to try and put some young kids in there like Jones on Rakells wing and Steel centering Silfv and Cogs... I just dont like it. Is Kerdiles getting a nod maybe?

I hope Kerdiles isn't getting the nod. He hasn't done one thing to impress me.

#227 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

What are we looking for? Do we expect to win the Pacific by MORE points than last year? Do we want a President's Cup? 

We are within 3 mill of the cap, having spent 71 million. I'm not gonna complain over the spending issues we used to have.

I would like to be BETTER than last year, but I don't think we can or should expect that.

I share RGS's concern about the future - Getz Perry and Kesler and their age - that's a big concern. We see it in Perry's play already and now we have a long term injury to Kesler.

But we can't trade those guys. They are ours. It's too bad we didn't get a cup run out of Perry/Getz between age 25-30, but that ship has sailed.

Throwing Steel and Jones into a lineup that should contend for the Pacific title is a risk I do not take unless we get them making a clear showing they belong.

IMO it's still a roster that, at the right time, can be hot enough to win a Cup. I think we have some young players that are going to be fun to watch.

MOVE THAT YOUNG DMAN! We already lost one sitting on this stable of talent, lets not add Vatanen to the list. 

Right? Ok so our 2nd line is now Silfver/Rakell/Cogs OR were turning that into our 3rd line with Vermette int he middle?

Ok so lets say thats the road they go down...

Ritchie/Getz/Eaves

Someone/Rakell/Perry

Silfver/Vermette/Cogs

I mean unless they are going to try and put some young kids in there like Jones on Rakells wing and Steel centering Silfv and Cogs... I just dont like it. Is Kerdiles getting a nod maybe?

That is a pretty damn strong third line IMO. No comment on the first two!

#228 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

What are we looking for? Do we expect to win the Pacific by MORE points than last year? Do we want a President's Cup? 

We are within 3 mill of the cap, having spent 71 million. I'm not gonna complain over the spending issues we used to have.

I would like to be BETTER than last year, but I don't think we can or should expect that.

I share RGS's concern about the future - Getz Perry and Kesler and their age - that's a big concern. We see it in Perry's play already and now we have a long term injury to Kesler.

But we can't trade those guys. They are ours. It's too bad we didn't get a cup run out of Perry/Getz between age 25-30, but that ship has sailed.

Throwing Steel and Jones into a lineup that should contend for the Pacific title is a risk I do not take unless we get them making a clear showing they belong.

IMO it's still a roster that, at the right time, can be hot enough to win a Cup. I think we have some young players that are going to be fun to watch.

MOVE THAT YOUNG DMAN! We already lost one sitting on this stable of talent, lets not add Vatanen to the list. 

With this squad I dont expect to wint he division. Not that I care anyways, but thats where I put this team... 2nd or 3rd. 

Our problem isnt about how much we spend, but who we spend it on. We spent Stoners savings on a guy who cant stay healthy. 

I dont know. EDM gave us a run for our money last year and we will only have lost another step while not getting any better. If were not better than we were last year, how can we expect to go any further? 

#229 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

I don't like that third line when the first 2 lines are so full of meh.

#230 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

With this squad I dont expect to wint he division. Not that I care anyways, but thats where I put this team... 2nd or 3rd. 

Our problem isnt about how much we spend, but who we spend it on. We spent Stoners savings on a guy who cant stay healthy. 

I dont know. EDM gave us a run for our money last year and we will only have lost another step while not getting any better. If were not better than we were last year, how can we expect to go any further? 

But you didn't answer my question. Do you want them to be BETTER than last year? The same?

In the end, run for our money or not, Edmonton finished second, we finished first. We had a respectable playoff showing. We were a top 8 or 10 team last year and I think we are there again - the injury to Kesler being the thing that might set us back. 

I would say the youth on D and the couple of forwards means they will all get better, while our top 3 get a little worse. Should even out. I would say that if you could put the Kesler injury aside, we are pretty much the same team.

#231 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

But you didn't answer my question. Do you want them to be BETTER than last year? The same?

In the end, run for our money or not, Edmonton finished second, we finished first. We had a respectable playoff showing. We were a top 8 or 10 team last year and I think we are there again - the injury to Kesler being the thing that might set us back. 

I would say the youth on D and the couple of forwards means they will all get better, while our top 3 get a little worse. Should even out. I would say that if you could put the Kesler injury aside, we are pretty much the same team.

I want them to be better. If they arent better, they arent going any further. Other teams made moves to get better, we made moves to stay the same. 

Our forwards, as they sit right now, will be worse than last year as a whole. Our D should be better. Goalies same.

#232 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

I want them to be better. If they arent better, they arent going any further. Other teams made moves to get better, we made moves to stay the same. 

Our forwards, as they sit right now, will be worse than last year as a whole. Our D should be better. Goalies same.

I'm still not sure what you're griping about. Just what did you expect to happen? What trade did you know was available that Bob passed on? We need a top-6 FW to get better. The only one I know that's available is Duchene. Maybe Sakic gets reasonable and it happens, but it will cost Vats plus, which I'm OK with. But what else is out there that makes us better?

If we're healthy, we're better. If we're healthy at playoff time, we're better. With another year experience, the kids are better. The start of the season will be challenging, but unless you believe it'll keep us out of the playoffs, I don't see the reason for the doom and gloom.

#233 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

I'm still not sure what you're griping about. Just what did you expect to happen? What trade did you know was available that Bob passed on? We need a top-6 FW to get better. The only one I know that's available is Duchene. Maybe Sakic gets reasonable and it happens, but it will cost Vats plus, which I'm OK with. But what else is out there that makes us better?

If we're healthy, we're better. If we're healthy at playoff time, we're better. With another year experience, the kids are better. The start of the season will be challenging, but unless you believe it'll keep us out of the playoffs, I don't see the reason for the doom and gloom.

ANd I know you actually believe that; I dont. I have no problem being wrong in any of this either, I just dont see us as being better.

For me, the forwards right now are worse than we ended last season. D is marginally better mainly just because guys like Montour have extra experience now, but even then its a reach because Bieksa is another year older and slower and we have NO idea what we are getting with a guy like Larsson, if hes even ready to play at this level.

This team is not in the top half when it comes to scoring. Thats NOT GOOD. We have holes in our top 6 even when Kesler is healthy. Thats NOT GOOD.

I know people want to make excuses for Perrys year saying he was hurt and whatnot but lets no pretend like his decline only came about last season. Its been winding down for a few years now. Hes become more and more streaky with more and more dead spots in his game. 

I know everyone LOVES Eaves, but Im preparing for disappointment. We gave him a 3 year deal at more salary than hes ever earned before, after a record year at the age of what, 32? 

Be optimistic all you want, I cant be. We've hoarded these young Dmen while we get older and older in our top 6 with significant drop off in production. Maybe Vatanen being injured really hurt his trade value, but I dont buy that either. I think Murray is afraid to pull the trigger. 

I see teams like EDM and CGY getting better and I see Anaheim staying about the same. The good thing? LA, SJS, VAN and ARI didnt get better. And LV isnt going to be a threat. But Im not worried about the division. Im not worried about making it into the playoffs. Im worried about what happens when we get there. We went up against an injured, depleted NSH team and got trucked. EDM was damn close to taking us out. 

Murray better have some plans to upgrade during the season because status quo wont get us further than last year.

#234 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

I can't put my finger on it, but I feel pretty optimistic this season.  We are pretty much the same team as last year (once we get the three back).  Perry is in a state of decline, but I do think he will be improved over last year, and our backup goal tender situation improved.  BTW, I only was able to get to one day of training camp this year, but thought Getzlaf looked amazing.

There is a lot of time between now and the playoffs, and lots of potential for moves.  Right now, the goal doesn't need to be win the division; just need to get into the playoffs.

#235 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

I can't put my finger on it, but I feel pretty optimistic this season.  We are pretty much the same team as last year (once we get the three back).  Perry is in a state of decline, but I do think he will be improved over last year, and our backup goal tender situation improved.  BTW, I only was able to get to one day of training camp this year, but thought Getzlaf looked amazing.

There is a lot of time between now and the playoffs, and lots of potential for moves.  Right now, the goal doesn't need to be win the division; just need to get into the playoffs.

Last year could have been lightning in a bottle as far as our success went. We could easily have another 2016 end.

#236 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Last year could have been lightning in a bottle as far as our success went. We could easily have another 2016 end.

Maybe, but I don't think so K9. People talk about how anything can happen in the playoffs (it can), and then they (and I) find all kinds of reasons why a team came up short. I don't think there's any data that shows strong evidence that "puck luck" is a major determinant of playoff outcomes. I think it has more to do with chemistry, coaching, compete. It's definitely NOT the "best team on paper;" if it were, Washington would have won the last six SC's, yet they never got past the second round. 

I get frustrated by those who continually deflate the Ducks' success of recent years, saying or implying that they didn't "deserve" to be where they got to, that they "overachieved" or something. They DID have success - period, end of discussion. Who knows how far we get this year, but I just can't see why we won't be in the thick of it again. RGS sees it otherwise, and that's fine; that's what makes for discussions.

Let's have fun on the road to the playoffs!

#237 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Didn't mean to imply that you were one of those types K9; I was thinking more of some folks on other sites.

#238 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

I understand. And there is still plenty of reason to be excited about this squad. And believe me I am! I'm grateful we have had a competitive team for the majority of the passed 10 years. Most teams can't say that. But this team has been JUST short of what will really put us over the top for a long time now. And it looks like we'll be short on that again.

By the way why no preseason GDT? Not that there's much good to talk about.

#239 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

That's kind of where I'm at. We were pretty much at the cap, we don't have a lot of flexibility to move the big number guys there and, well, what could we do? We don't really want to break up anything on a team with 105 points that looked close to being a competitor for the Cup, and at worst a solid playoff team. We have some youngsters whose growth should match the drop off of the older guys (hell, we already have dealt with Perry sucking) so I think we have a good future, and a good present. Are we gonna be odds on to win the Cup? No, but I'm not upset that it was a quiet off-season. 

ANd I know you actually believe that; I dont. I have no problem being wrong in any of this either, I just dont see us as being better.

For me, the forwards right now are worse than we ended last season. D is marginally better mainly just because guys like Montour have extra experience now, but even then its a reach because Bieksa is another year older and slower and we have NO idea what we are getting with a guy like Larsson, if hes even ready to play at this level.

This team is not in the top half when it comes to scoring. Thats NOT GOOD. We have holes in our top 6 even when Kesler is healthy. Thats NOT GOOD.

I know people want to make excuses for Perrys year saying he was hurt and whatnot but lets no pretend like his decline only came about last season. Its been winding down for a few years now. Hes become more and more streaky with more and more dead spots in his game. 

I know everyone LOVES Eaves, but Im preparing for disappointment. We gave him a 3 year deal at more salary than hes ever earned before, after a record year at the age of what, 32? 

Be optimistic all you want, I cant be. We've hoarded these young Dmen while we get older and older in our top 6 with significant drop off in production. Maybe Vatanen being injured really hurt his trade value, but I dont buy that either. I think Murray is afraid to pull the trigger. 

I see teams like EDM and CGY getting better and I see Anaheim staying about the same. The good thing? LA, SJS, VAN and ARI didnt get better. And LV isnt going to be a threat. But Im not worried about the division. Im not worried about making it into the playoffs. Im worried about what happens when we get there. We went up against an injured, depleted NSH team and got trucked. EDM was damn close to taking us out. 

Murray better have some plans to upgrade during the season because status quo wont get us further than last year.

I don't think we are better either, but I don't think it's fair to look at a team that was 3rd in the Pacific and got to the final 4 and start making demands that the GM better get off his ass and do something.

#240 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

I understand. And there is still plenty of reason to be excited about this squad. And believe me I am! I'm grateful we have had a competitive team for the majority of the passed 10 years. Most teams can't say that. But this team has been JUST short of what will really put us over the top for a long time now. And it looks like we'll be short on that again.

I am used to being all bent out of shape about Bob missing out on crap and the old "make the playoffs under the internal cap" mantra, but I think the fact that the pocketbook is now clearly open has changed me. 

And even my TRADE ONE OF THE YOUNG D, well clearly we needed an extra one to withstand the entry draft, and now we have two injured guys - Bob's policy of loading up Dmen has been a good one.

I'm not saying all is rosy, but I am expecting a top 8 team with a couple of dynamic youngsters this year and still have the feeling Gibson is gonna become THE MAN at some point in his career. I'm OK right now. 

#241 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I am used to being all bent out of shape about Bob missing out on crap and the old "make the playoffs under the internal cap" mantra, but I think the fact that the pocketbook is now clearly open has changed me. 

And even my TRADE ONE OF THE YOUNG D, well clearly we needed an extra one to withstand the entry draft, and now we have two injured guys - Bob's policy of loading up Dmen has been a good one.

I'm not saying all is rosy, but I am expecting a top 8 team with a couple of dynamic youngsters this year and still have the feeling Gibson is gonna become THE MAN at some point in his career. I'm OK right now. 

The pocket book is now open because it HAS to be. Not because Bob made some big improvements to the roster.

#242 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 AM

By the way why no preseason GDT? Not that there's much good to talk about.

I actually had a good time last night, but mostly because Beauchemin was at my ticket gate.

#243 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

The pocket book is now open because it HAS to be. Not because Bob made some big improvements to the roster.

OK, but the point is he really can't make a big improvement right now by spending more money. That's all I'm saying. I can bitch all I want about Stoner and whoever else, but in the meantime he's struck good deals with other players and fielded a pretty good team for a long time now. I'll bet Bob's regular season record is up there with anyone right now. 

I am pretty sure I've been one of his biggest critics, but I don't think you can rightly criticize what he did last year or this off-season.

#244 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 AM

OK, but the point is he really can't make a big improvement right now by spending more money. That's all I'm saying. I can bitch all I want about Stoner and whoever else, but in the meantime he's struck good deals with other players and fielded a pretty good team for a long time now. I'll bet Bob's regular season record is up there with anyone right now. 

I am pretty sure I've been one of his biggest critics, but I don't think you can rightly criticize what he did last year or this off-season.

I guess for me it's more of a general critique, exemplified by this past offseason. Sure we only have 3mil in cap space right now. But for YEARS we had Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Rakell on cheap deals. Selanne at a discount. You name it. What did Bob do to improve the roster's gaping holes? Next to nothing. The Kesler trade.

On the one hand, it's kind of rad we get to keep our whole core together. On the other, it feels like we never quite went all out for a Stanley Cup.

#245 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

I don't think we are better either, but I don't think it's fair to look at a team that was 3rd in the Pacific and got to the final 4 and start making demands that the GM better get off his ass and do something.

Why not? Look, Im not saying this is a bad team, its not. This is a team that should be in the playoffs with relative ease. BUT at what point is making the playoffs no longer good enough? At what point do you expect more? Im at that point. Our core is f*n' old. We dont have a Getzlaf 2.0 ready to take over. We dont have a 40-50 goal scorer waiting in the wings to push Parry aside. This is and has been our best chance to win for the past 2-3 years. I know we talk about the window that this team has and it seems like we keep pushing it back another year but its closing.

So yeah, I think its plenty fair to start making demands that the GM better get off his ass and do something. Address our holes. Look what killed us in the playoffs and make it better. Other teams addressed their needs and we made it a point to bring back the same old squad with a sprinkle of change that wont really do all that much. 

Im looking at possible playoff opponents and CGY, EDM, NSH, CHI, MIN, DAL, STL... none of those are an easy series and other than STL, they pretty much all made moves to get better.

Not to mention you have 2 other team in the Pacific that will be pushing for a playoff spot in LA and SJ. Although, neither of those teams did much of anything to give them a boost.

#246 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Kase-Getzlaf-Eaves

Ritchie-Rakell-Perry

Cogliano-Vermette-Silfverberg

Wagner-Rassmussen-Shaw

I would bet $100.00 that this is the plan until Kesler is healthy.

Kase as energy on the Getzlaf line.

Rakell with 2 offensive players.  Well, purported offensive players.

A guy who can win FO's between Cogs and Silf.  Much of that lines' defensive ability rests in Kesler winning FO's.

A 4th line.

It's very ragtag.

#247 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

I would bet $100.00 that this is the plan until Kesler is healthy.

Kase as energy on the Getzlaf line.

Rakell with 2 offensive players.  Well, purported offensive players.

A guy who can win FO's between Cogs and Silf.  Much of that lines' defensive ability rests in Kesler winning FO's.

A 4th line.

It's very ragtag.

I'm hearing Jones looks very good.  Some say he's got a good chance at making the team.  That would be great.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)