5048 replies to this topic

#26 QuacksMeUp

QuacksMeUp

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Right now, though, it's tough for me to blame a guy that inherited a team in mid-season with very little cap room, very lofty expectations, a head coach in year one of a two year deal, an owner that could be facing jail time and an underachieving roster.

Well put. And I agree.

You missed the bit about a distracted #1 goalie, one key and one not-so-key defenseman on IR and Sami with a germ of some kind. But that's just quibbling on my part. biggrin.gif

#27 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frankly, (with the exception of your valid questions about Morrison), I'm not sure what you are expecting Murray to do right now...

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Feb 11 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious what many of you expect Bob Murray to do. Some of you seem to want it both ways - you want him to make a big move that shakes up this team but you also believe that this team has the potential to make the playoffs...

I am expecting Bob Murray to eliminate Brendan Morrison from our active roster. This does not require a trade, or anything else out of his hands. He can waive him right now.

What is so difficult to understand about a move as simple as waiving Brendan Morrison to instantly alleviate our dire cap situation with regards to being able to bring up a goalie, and to instantly address a problem that both the GM and head coach acknowledge, but have publicly scratched their head at? If they want to help locker room morale and team chemistry, start by being fair and reasonable with ice time, and even a spot on the club. Brendan Morrison is a great guy, but he has not earned either with his time spent in this organization, nor his performance. Management needs to either swallow their pride or wake up (preferably both) and move Brendan Morrison off of this team.

And to get something straight, I do not believe that there is one solution to our problems. I do not believe it is that simple, and all-or-nothing arguments that act as if the only options are to either hold the fort or to make huge changes are either short-sighted or insincere.

Any solution to any problem is best started by taking simple, effective steps. Waiving Brendan Morrison if you can't trade him is as simple and as comprehensive of a step that I can think of, or have seen suggested. And that can be done today... as in right now.

I am not expecting Bob Murray to hit a home run on the first pitch. But I am suggesting that he come to the plate. Do something simple and completely under his control that will help this team right now by addressing it's most immediate problem(s). Relieve the cap pressure and the demoralizing effect of poor roster management and unfair treatment of players by moving Brendan Morrison off of this roster and out of the hands of the coach.

ADD: and don't confuse my forcefulness on the Morrison issue with negativity towards Bob Murray. I am claiming that he can make one simple move today that will have the most immediate and constructive effect on this team. I am in no way saying that he is a bum.

#28 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts
  • Interests:Hockey and stand-up comedy

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (QuacksMeUp @ Feb 11 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You missed the bit about a distracted #1 goalie, one key and one not-so-key defenseman on IR and Sami with a germ of some kind. But that's just quibbling on my part. biggrin.gif

Not quibbling - those are all valid points and things that have helped put the Ducks in the position they are in now.

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waiving Brendan Morrison if you can't trade him is as simple and as comprehensive of a step that I can think of, or have seen suggested. And that can be done today... as in right now. Relieve the cap pressure and the demoralizing effect of poor roster management and unfair treatment of players by moving Brendan Morrison off of this roster and out of the hands of the coach.

By my calculations if the Ducks were to waive Brendan Morrison that would save them $871,000 of cap space the rest of the season. Can anyone confirm whether or not that is accurate?

As for the demoralizing effect of poor roster management and unfair treatment of players - do you have anything to prove that is happening? I'm asking to see if you've read/heard/seen something I have not that would indicate Brendan Morrison's presence on the team and ice time is causing a problem in the locker room, not to pick nits with your statement.

#29 Ahh_Damn

Ahh_Damn

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

i think what he means by morrison's ice time is something along where it should be given to Bobby Ryan instead who is more deserving of the ice time.

#30 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Feb 11 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By my calculations if the Ducks were to waive Brendan Morrison that would save them $871,000 of cap space the rest of the season. Can anyone confirm whether or not that is accurate?

Close. I get $887,097 left for the rest of the season. (Day 126 of a 186 day season).

#31 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Feb 11 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the demoralizing effect of poor roster management and unfair treatment of players - do you have anything to prove that is happening? I'm asking to see if you've read/heard/seen something I have not that would indicate Brendan Morrison's presence on the team and ice time is causing a problem in the locker room, not to pick nits with your statement.

We have a problem in the locker room, as stated by Bob Murray and Randy Carlyle, the two spokesmen for this organization. I hope we all agree they were referring to hockey people problems, and not something like a facility problem with mold or another issue like communicable illness or the like.

Since we have an honorable organization, and there is enough personal respect to not make negative public statements about each other, there are no quotes to document it. However, reading and seeing and hearing about this Ducks season provides enough information to reach a reasonable conclusion.

Therefore, logic and process of elimination tell me that:

1. We start with the statements of both the coach and the GM that the locker room is a suspected source of the Ducks problems. There are several articles with these quotes as faithfully documented by DTP in his Media Roundup thread, and farmed out to the proper threads.( I would like to take this opportunity to again thank DTP for his wise and tireless labor of love here on this sight. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his love of the Ducks and of hockey and sharing it with us in such a time-consuming and thorough way. clap.gif )

2. Brendan Morrison, nor anyone else on this team, is a Sean Avery type.

3. And much to the contrary, we are blessed with a group that are pretty much exemplary professional athletes, and have good veteran leadership in word and deed with the likes of Teemu Selanne, Scott & Rob Niedermayer, JS Giguere, Chris Pronger, Todd Marchant, etc., and some very sharp young guys like Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, Drew Miller, etc.

4. This narrows down the acknowledged locker room problem to ice hockey issues. Particularly, team performance and management issues, such as who comes and goes in the room.

5. Since the core of this team (roster & coaches) is virtually the same as the team that won the Stanley Cup just a season and a half ago in a convincing, season-long fashion, and now is struggling to even make the playoffs, the problem is further focused to the issue of under-performance. (Anyone that has read this far but does not believe that this team is under-performing, exit right and please catch your return flight to planet Head-in-the-Sand wink.gif ) <<<-sprinkling of levity

6. There are two components to performance: Individual and Team. The former is obviously the responsibility of the players, but the latter is the responsibility of management.

7. This further focuses the issue towards under-performing players and under-performing suits, since we are talking about an admitted problem.

8. With regards to players, Brendan Morrison sticks out like a sore thumb with regards to performance. He himself admits publicly that his performance is so substandard that he is embarrassed by it. No other player can be identified with under-performance in the Ducks locker room to the degree that B-Mo can.

9. In total denial of this (the greatest of under-performing players), the head coach is not only awarding him more even-strength minutes and continually putting him in the top lines more than at least three other more-deserved players, while the GM is demoting other players that have more earned the right to have a roster spot than he, while at the same time putting the team in a tenuous cap predicament by wasting precious cap space with his contract when it could easily and instantly be resolved.

10. Given that there is a problem in the locker room as documented by the management of the Ducks, Brendan Morrison is logically the primary player at the root of that problem. He is not necessarily the sole cause, but he is the leading candidate and the player who least earns the benefit of the doubt. He is a problem by process of elimination.

#32 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10. Given that there is a problem in the locker room as documented by the management of the Ducks, Brendan Morrison is logically the primary player at the root of that problem. He is not necessarily the sole cause, but he is the leading candidate and the player who least earns the benefit of the doubt. He is a problem by process of elimination.

I think that's a huge stretch.

Using such "deductive logic", one could:

- Claim that May was the problem, since they traded him away for nothing.
- Claim that Pronger is the problem, since he keeps appearing in trade rumors.
- Claim that McIver was the problem, (see May).
- Claim that Jiggy is the problem, since his on ice problems, and off ice personal issues, are well documented.
- Claim that Scotty is the problem, since he's Captain, and the team has not played well since his return.

(No, I have no reason to believe any of these).

If there is a 'locker room problem', I don't think we have enough information to pin it on anyone.

#33 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

I don't expect Murray to make any big moves, nor do I think he should have made one. I would like to know more of what he's thinking though. Burke was always very up front with the fans and would let us know what was going on and what could go on. Murray, to this point, has done almost nothing to keep the fan base informed. The only thing he's done to speak of is to say that if this team is out of the playoffs by the deadline that people might be moved. That seems to be about it.

I do know he wants the team to get younger, and I've heard some rumblings that he might get away from some of the things Burke has put together (including the coach), but he's not letting the fans know most of these things. Burke did a lot of things I liked, and a lot of things I didn't like, but one thing I absolutely loved about him was that he was willing to talk to the fans and he went out of his way to keep us informed about things.

Right now Murray is an enigma. He's an unknown ingredient in a recipe, and that recipe is already tasting pretty bitter right now.

#34 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Sojourn @ Feb 11 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now Murray is an enigma. He's an unknown ingredient in a recipe, and that recipe is already tasting pretty bitter right now.

While I agree with much of what you said, you do have to admit that the "quiet" GM is the much more common than anything even remotely approaching the Burke model.

For the most part, most GM's answer when asked....and limit the opportunity for too many questions. wink.gif

#35 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's a huge stretch.

Using such "deductive logic", one could:

- Claim that May was the problem, since they traded him away for nothing.
- Claim that Pronger is the problem, since he keeps appearing in trade rumors.
- Claim that McIver was the problem, (see May).
- Claim that Jiggy is the problem, since his on ice problems, and off ice personal issues, are well documented.
- Claim that Scotty is the problem, since he's Captain, and the team has not played well since his return.

(No, I have no reason to believe any of these).

If there is a 'locker room problem', I don't think we have enough information to pin it on anyone.

What logic is used in your deductions?

1. May is long gone, yet the problem(s) persist.
2. None of the trade rumors don't emanate from Anaheim, indicating the very opposite of your reasoning.
3. McIver hardly played... but yes, same contradiction to your thought as May.
4. Jiggy did not take ice time away from someone who deserved it and who delivered in his absence.
5. Scotty has been playing just fine for a while now, as evidenced by his stats and every reputable report.

You obviously don't understand that performance is the issue. Players that are performing to a reasonable level aren't the problem, just as players who aren't even allowed to perform. That eliminates every one of your examples. Even JSG doesn't fit because he wasn't being used in place of someone who should be playing.

We certainly have enough information to pin it on management. They are responsible for the product on the ice by deciding who is out there and who is even in the locker room. And their continued use of a 2.75mil cap space-gobbling player that is producing at a 0.6mil level in the top lines, while demoting more deserved players and playing low-yield cap space games, associates the name Brendan Morrison with the futility.

I don't see any suggestions on your part that even address a solution to:
1. Our dire cap space problem with not having enough to bring up a goalie.
2. The locker room problems that admittedly exist.

Moving Brendan Morrison's contract absolutely solves the first one, and also would eliminate the coach's ability to contribute to the second one through his universally questioned roster management with said player.

With a lack of a better suggestion, combined with an illogical criticism of mine, your position stands for what it is: holding the fort as it crumbles.

#36 TheJoeMan

TheJoeMan

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Do we really need to know what Murray is planning to do? What if something doesn't pan out and a player sticks around who was rumored to be moved? I think the less "we" hear the better for the team. Sure it's annoying because to us it feels like he's not doing much to improve this team but that doesn't mean he's not working the phones. I think we just became so accustomed to Burke and his quotes that we kind of expect that kind of exposure. I mean we rarely heard Bryan Murray talking to the media about possible trades.

#37 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What logic is used in your deductions?

1. May is long gone, yet the problem(s) persist.
2. None of the trade rumors don't emanate from Anaheim, indicating the very opposite of your reasoning.
3. McIver hardly played... but yes, same contradiction to your thought as May.
4. Jiggy did not take ice time away from someone who deserved it and who delivered in his absence.
5. Scotty has been playing just fine for a while now, as evidenced by his stats and every reputable report.

You obviously don't understand that performance is the issue. Players that are performing to a reasonable level aren't the problem, just as players who aren't even allowed to perform. That eliminates every one of your examples. Even JSG doesn't fit because he wasn't being used in place of someone who should be playing.

We certainly have enough information to pin it on management. They are responsible for the product on the ice by deciding who is out there and who is even in the locker room. And their continued use of a 2.75mil cap space-gobbling player that is producing at a 0.6mil level in the top lines, while demoting more deserved players and playing low-yield cap space games, associates the name Brendan Morrison with the futility.

I don't see any suggestions on your part that even address a solution to:
1. Our dire cap space problem with not having enough to bring up a goalie.
2. The locker room problems that admittedly exist.

Moving Brendan Morrison's contract absolutely solves the first one, and also would eliminate the coach's ability to contribute to the second one through his universally questioned roster management with said player.

With a lack of a better suggestion, combined with an illogical criticism of mine, your position stands for what it is: holding the fort as it crumbles.

Shooting down my examples of possible locker room problems was pretty useless since I already stated I had no reason to believe any of them were valid.

And for me to create a long string of assumptions, opinions, and conclusions based on any of them would be as useless as you doing the same for Morrison.

That was pretty much my point.

Do I think Morrison is adding anything to the team? Nope. I don't.

Does that mean I have free reign to blame him for EVERYTHING that has gone wrong this season? No, it doesn't.

You're stretching. But I guess I should just let it slide.....

#38 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I agree with much of what you said, you do have to admit that the "quiet" GM is the much more common than anything even remotely approaching the Burke model.

For the most part, most GM's answer when asked....and limit the opportunity for too many questions. wink.gif

Absolutely. Burke spoiled us in that way. He came in and immediately told us what was going to happen. I think that's part of the thing that annoys me. Murray hasn't done anything of consequence, except to not do anything of consequence. We don't know what to expect from him, and so there is this question of "What's next?" and that question has been there since Burke left for Toronto. If he had been our GM for a few years, this wouldn't be an issue. We'd know what to expect, simply because we would have seen his tendencies.

This isn't so much me complaining about the way Murray has handled things, as me just not liking knowing things. I've heard some tidbits from people who work for the team, but I always take that kind of informatioon with a grain of salt until I see it happen. Very often the rumors that really do come from Anaheim personnel never happen. It's really no different than the rumors we hear from the people around the NHL who speculate about who is going where, and what a GM is looking into. For every good bit of information, there's far more that never takes place, either because things don't pan out or because the information was more speculation than fact - perhaps because the person heard something, and extrapolated a conclusion out of it that fits what they think might happen.

#39 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Sojourn @ Feb 11 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't expect Murray to make any big moves, nor do I think he should have made one. I would like to know more of what he's thinking though. Burke was always very up front with the fans and would let us know what was going on and what could go on. Murray, to this point, has done almost nothing to keep the fan base informed. The only thing he's done to speak of is to say that if this team is out of the playoffs by the deadline that people might be moved. That seems to be about it.

I do know he wants the team to get younger, and I've heard some rumblings that he might get away from some of the things Burke has put together (including the coach), but he's not letting the fans know most of these things. Burke did a lot of things I liked, and a lot of things I didn't like, but one thing I absolutely loved about him was that he was willing to talk to the fans and he went out of his way to keep us informed about things.

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob Murray is supposed to be the leader of this franchise, and ultimately, where he leads us will be the judge.

Besides picking the right path and equipping the team to follow it, part of the job as the leader is to inspire the troops to believe in themselves and their leaders so that they will give the proper effort with the proper heart.

I think Sojourn has identified a real shortcoming in Bob Murray's tenure thus far. It doesn't look like the players believe, or even a lot of the fans or hardly any of the media believes that this team is heading in the right direction. Murray himself projects this with his acknowledgment of a problem in the locker room.

Staying mostly silent and then saying he's not sure what's wrong when he does make a peep is the wrong thing to do. At the very least make it sound good. Sometimes deceiving people into thinking than they are better than they actually are at a given point in time gets them to perform at a higher level. I think we saw the proof of that in 2003. Certainly Winston Churchill won with that approach. Even Brian Burke as the Wizard of Oz as presented by Craig MacTavish had success.

But whatever you do, don't publicly agree with the prevailing thought that the boat is sinking while people still have their hands on the oars.

#40 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Murray is an in-between and that another GM will be named, maybe in the off season hmm.gif ?

#41 TheJoeMan

TheJoeMan

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bob Murray is supposed to be the leader of this franchise, and ultimately, where he leads us will be the judge.

Besides picking the right path and equipping the team to follow it, part of the job as the leader is to inspire the troops to believe in themselves and their leaders so that they will give the proper effort with the proper heart.

I think Sojourn has identified a real shortcoming in Bob Murray's tenure thus far. It doesn't look like the players believe, or even a lot of the fans or hardly any of the media believes that this team is heading in the right direction.

Staying mostly silent and then saying he's not sure what's wrong when he does make a peep is the wrong thing to do. At the very least make it sound good. Sometimes deceiving people into thinking than they are better than they actually are at a given point in time gets them to perform at a higher level. I think we saw the proof of that in 2003. Certainly Winston Churchill won with that approach. Even Brian Burke as the Wizard of Oz as presented by Craig MacTavish had success.

But whatever you do, don't publicly agree with the prevailing thought that the boat is sinking while people still have their hands on the oars.

I don't think that's his job at all. His job is to put the proper roster together to make this team as competitive as possible. Player personnel moves and managing the cap is his job. He doesn't need to be a cheerleader or anything. Honestly, Burke is the only GM I can think of that's contently yucking it up with the media. I have no doubt Murray has a number of deals brewing. Thing is a lot of situations need to play out before he can pull the trigger on a major one. The best and most economical solution is for this team to play like they can and like they have for short spurts this year for a sustained period of time. But honestly the only move that we need and is feasible is acquiring a veteran d-man. Moving Morrison is simply to cut the fat. We aren't going to get anything of ultimate value to this team making the playoffs other than cap space. Firing the coach is out of the question at this point. The pieces are there for the most part. There's not a lot Murray can do except blow this team up which we aren't in a position to do either.

#42 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Feb 11 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Murray is an in-between and that another GM will be named, maybe in the off season hmm.gif ?

Considering he wasn't introduced as "interim" when named, it doesn't appear that was the original intent. If the plan was to replace him, I doubt they'd set him up to be "fired" at the outset.

#43 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering he wasn't introduced as "interim" when named, it doesn't appear that was the original intent. If the plan was to replace him, I doubt they'd set him up to be "fired" at the outset.

Maybe they just wanted someone who knew the team to be a stop-gap, even if they didn't say it, in order to provide some stability while, at the same time, looking for someone else hmm.gif

Maybe I should stop reading my alphabet soup wink.gif

#44 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Just for some perspective, check out the 2008-2009 trade list:

TSN Link

And this included teams that are much worse off than we are, as well as teams more likely to make a "cup run".

It's a huge snooze fest on the trade market, and pretty much has been all year. Judging Murray at this point is far too premature, in my opinion.

#45 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (TheJoeMan @ Feb 11 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think that's his job at all. His job is to put the proper roster together to make this team as competitive as possible. Player personnel moves and managing the cap is his job. He doesn't need to be a cheerleader or anything. Honestly, Burke is the only GM I can think of that's contently yucking it up with the media. I have no doubt Murray has a number of deals brewing. Thing is a lot of situations need to play out before he can pull the trigger on a major one. The best and most economical solution is for this team to play like they can and like they have for short spurts this year for a sustained period of time. But honestly the only move that we need and is feasible is acquiring a veteran d-man. Moving Morrison is simply to cut the fat. We aren't going to get anything of ultimate value to this team making the playoffs other than cap space. Firing the coach is out of the question at this point. The pieces are there for the most part. There's not a lot Murray can do except blow this team up which we aren't in a position to do either.

I said Winston Churchill and Brian Burke were the models, not Paula Abdul. Leaders, not cheerleaders.

Right now, the Randy Carlyle persona is the leading spirit of this franchise.

He's not motivating many in the right direction, I'm afraid.

#46 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Feb 11 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I guess I should just let it slide.....

Hell no... don't do that! I wouldn't debate the points with you if that were the case. Please call it like you see it, and call me on my b.s. when it is stinking up the joint. wink.gif

Does that mean I have free reign to blame him for EVERYTHING that has gone wrong this season? No, it doesn't.

Why in the world would you say that in response to me when my stated position is:
QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And to get something straight, I do not believe that there is one solution to our problems. I do not believe it is that simple, and all-or-nothing arguments that act as if the only options are to either hold the fort or to make huge changes are either short-sighted or insincere.

Any solution to any problem is best started by taking simple, effective steps. Waiving Brendan Morrison if you can't trade him is as simple and as comprehensive of a step that I can think of, or have seen suggested. And that can be done today... as in right now.

I have never said Brendan Morrison is "to blame him for EVERYTHING that has gone wrong this season", and in fact have made that disclaimer someplace because I actually like the guy. It's not all or nothing. B-Mo isn't all of the problem.

Maybe I need to clarify to say that Brendan Morrison is really just a symptom of the problems. And more specifically, his continued use and cap hit are symptoms of the problem. Mismanagement is the problem, and it has affected the locker room.

#47 432j

432j

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:Hockey. Hockey. More Hockey.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Feb 11 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what some of you expected out of him in his first 100 days as Ducks GM but I, for one, am willing to give the guy some more time.

I understand what you're saying. But, I think where you lose me is that by doing (essentially nothing) he's essentially advocating throwing in the towel on the rest of the season. I understand moving players is not easy, but if I were a GM, I would be working like crazy to get my team into the playoffs.

Maybe Murray is trying, but the outward appearance is that he is not.

I think he could be more active than Brookbank and Brown. Quite frankly, Brown is the one that ticks me off to no end as he seems like a clone of Brad May, who was well like by everyone (except, apparently, Carlyle).

This team really needed a coaching change in November or December. I can forgive Murray not making that move in his first days on the job, but this team quite clearly is not responding to their coach. And quite frankly, you can't change all 23 players. Of course, that's colored by that fact that I think Carlyle is doing an egregiously poor job running this club.

But seriously, there are assets he has to move for a serviceable defenseman to have replaced Beuchemin or Huskins -- two guys that really needed to be replaced by someone considering the makeup of the rest of the D corps.

He doesn't have to knock it out of the park, but he's got to do more than a bunt (Brookbank) and a foul ball (Brown).

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Feb 11 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I need to clarify to say that Brendan Morrison is really just a symptom of the problems. And more specifically, his continued use and cap hit are symptoms of the problem. Mismanagement is the problem, and it has affected the locker room.

I definitely don't think that Morrison is a problem in the lockerroom. IMO, the real divide is players vs coach. Brendan's ice time vs Bobby's would be part of it.

IMO the benching of vets (Rob especially) has been Randy's way of asserting his authority over the players. Everything I've seen, read and heard is that Rob is one of the most-popular guys in the lockerroom. I think Rob has been a purposeful target.

I think scratching May was also unpopular with the players when it became apparent that just about everyone in Iowa had moved past him on Randy's depth chart. A game here and there is one thing, but Randy made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to play May - and I don't think the guys viewed it as Carlyle being unfair to May.

#48 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

No matter how much of the Ducks problems come from the coaching and how much come from the players, one thing is sure:

100% of the problem is Bob Murray's problem.

When are we going to see him do something or say something to address our wayward team? Is he going to wait until we embarrass our way out of the playoffs?

Who's running this outfit... because it is running into the ditch.

#49 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Murray is quiet. Far too quiet if you ask me. I wish he'd say something about anything!!!

#50 TheJoeMan

TheJoeMan

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Kariya9 @ Feb 16 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Murray is quiet. Far too quiet if you ask me. I wish he'd say something about anything!!!

Why? Who cares if he's not saying anything? What good does talking do? All Burke did was talk and he was criticized for it. What he needs to do is make moves to make this team better and he has two weeks to it. If we lose a bunch of games from here to then expect a lot of dumping. If we suddenly win a bunch expect a move for a d-man. If we're in the exact same spot expect him to do nothing because there's nothing he can do.

The players have to play, plain and simple. I saw 20 guys last night get out-worked by 20 guys that shouldn't have. The best thing for him to do probably is let most of these players walk next year and bring in guys who want to work hard every night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users