• Please log in to reply
2375 replies to this topic

#26 Joeyboy

Joeyboy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:All related to hockey and mainly the Ducks hockey but also hockey in general. Apart from the Ducks I'm a fan of the Colorado Avalanche and I blame it on my brother who supported the Florida Panthers in the 1996 finals. He made me root for the Avs and through the years the love for the Avs have remained. I just don't get over the retirement of Joe Sakic!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

LOL. You tell him, Mara! Why do I now think that after the game Getzlaf was whining to Mara since Mara didn't let him fight? smile.gif

#27 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

"We definitely needed to sit down and talk and see that everyone was on the same page as to where we go from here," said center Ryan Getzlaf, who replaced the retired Scott Niedermayer as captain and is off to a slow start on the ice. He and linemates Bobby Ryan and Corey Perry have yet to record a point among them.

"We started in some tough buildings. We started on the road. It's not a panic-button time, but it's time to sit back and realize what we've got to do," Getzlaf said.

"Whether you win or lose the game, it's kind of how the game is played, and I think we just need to take a look at the way we played," Getzlaf said.

"It's the fact we're making mental errors here and there that are costing us. Obviously, with the penalties and stuff, especially when you're down in a game, it's hard to come back when you're killing penalties the whole time."

<link to LAT article posted in Media Roundup>

#28 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

Getzlaf is a perennial slow starter - two years ago, it took him six games to dent the scores sheet and he subsequently ended up with a career-high 91 points. Getzlaf’s Novembers have always been superior to his Octobers, so there is hope and solace there.

<link to article posted in Media Roundup>

#29 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,450 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Joeyboy @ Oct 13 2010, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL. You tell him, Mara! Why do I now think that after the game Getzlaf was whining to Mara since Mara didn't let him fight? smile.gif

And Mara acting like a dad with a spoiled child gave him a time out, grounded him and left him w/o ice cream laugh.gif
can you spank a child that is of legal age? laugh.gif

#30 Reb

Reb

DUCK!

• Mods
  • 10,643 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, keeping body and soul together, reading, DVD's, Pool,pool right here in river city.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (HillerGirl @ Oct 13 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Mara acting like a dad with a spoiled child gave him a time out, grounded him and left him w/o ice cream laugh.gif

I don't know. But I think you can smack him up side the head. laugh.gif

#31 Hello There

Hello There

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (HillerGirl @ Oct 13 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all saw it done, via the media

#32 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Reb @ Oct 13 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know. But I think you can smack him up side the head. laugh.gif

at least Mara is tall enough to do that laugh.gif
i'd be like "Ryan, wait a sec here. i'll get a chair..." laugh.gif

#33 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

"We definitely needed to sit down and talk and see that everyone was on the same page as to where we go from here," said center Ryan Getzlaf, who replaced the retired Scott Niedermayer as captain and is off to a slow start on the ice. He and linemates Bobby Ryan and Corey Perry have yet to record a point among them.

"We started in some tough buildings. We started on the road. It's not a panic-button time, but it's time to sit back and realize what we've got to do," Getzlaf said.

"Whether you win or lose the game, it's kind of how the game is played, and I think we just need to take a look at the way we played," Getzlaf said.

"It's the fact we're making mental errors here and there that are costing us. Obviously, with the penalties and stuff, especially when you're down in a game, it's hard to come back when you're killing penalties the whole time."

The italicized parts are "Captain-Speak".

The bolded part is definitely not. "Tough buildings" and "on the road"? Are you kidding me? These words should not be coming out of the mouth of one single person who works for the organization. Weak excuses for poor performance are not the way to build a culture of winning. A culture of whining? Sure.

#34 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

I think his comments altogether showed more maturity. He needs to take some more responsibility as their leader though. Hopefully he'll be a steady force this team can follow.

#35 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (QuackHead @ Oct 13 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think his comments altogether showed more maturity. He needs to take some more responsibility as their leader though. Hopefully he'll be a steady force this team can follow.

I said it in the gameday thread, but I don't mind Getzlaf bein an a-hole or immature or whatever you want to call it. He wears it on his sleeve. I've seen enough guys facewash a guy and then step away, or slam a door or hold a post game meeting after getting their a* kicked and I always think "How mature. Isn't that swell. Doesn't do me one bit of good". I like seeing these guys getting all bent out of shape and beating up on people (or trying, at least). Let all the crybabies calling us goons send letters to the league office. Who cares.

#36 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 13 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like seeing these guys getting all bent out of shape and beating up on people (or trying, at least).

That's why we're 0-3, ranked 1st in PIM, 1st in GA, last in GF and getting embarrased and laughed at by the entire league. This is the result of the guys "getting all bent out of shape". When you're out of shape you don't win.

I'll have to disagree with you. I don't like seeing it.

#37 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (QuackHead @ Oct 13 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to disagree with you. I don't like seeing it.

Yeah, but my view is this. If Getzlaf was George Patton we still lose all those games. Getz and company don't usually start gooning it up until the outcome is no longer in doubt. Penalties and undisciplined play have cost us wins in the past, but aggressive, hard-hitting and being a*s or throwing tantrums? That's won us games in the past too.

If we are gonna lose, I'd rather we go down swinging. I hope all this "be more mature" talk isn't getting into the locker room, cause I want this team to keep going berserk every time they get their butts handed to them.

And look, I'm not really trying to argue that I'm right, and I'm certainly not arguing that we should take stupid penalties. I'm just saying that I like the team going berserk when all is lost. Perry in particular reminds me of a 12 year old hillbilly who just lost a bet to a smart kid and now is gonna punch him out. I think these players are invested in winning games and get really pissed off when they lose.

#38 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (QuackHead @ Oct 13 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why we're 0-3, ranked 1st in PIM, 1st in GA, last in GF and getting embarrased and laughed at by the entire league. This is the result of the guys "getting all bent out of shape". When you're out of shape you don't win.

I agree. Since the lockout there have been a number of games where Anaheim just hasn't shown up to games, and they resort to "frustration fighting"(for lack of a better term). The results are always the same. Always. They lose the game. Some people might say it's to send a message to the opposing team next game, or that it is meant to intimidating the opposing team. I don't see it. What message does it send? "If you beat us at hockey we'll stop playing hockey." Is that the message? Because if I'm the opposing team I'm liking that message.

#39 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

If they're being blown out and there's no hope in winning, then Parros, Varros, Chipchura, Belesky, Brookbank can fight all they want. Not the star players, thats how you break a thumb, ask Sutton.

All it takes is a couple quick goals by the other team, a few missed oppurtunities by us and the melt down begins. The Ducks are very predictable that way. 3 times in a row now.

#40 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 13 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we are gonna lose, I'd rather we go down swinging. I hope all this "be more mature" talk isn't getting into the locker room, cause I want this team to keep going berserk every time they get their butts handed to them.

Except they really aren't going down swinging. Not figuratively, at any rate. They get completely off their game, and they stop playing hockey. Yeah, okay, maybe the opposing team has a few more bruises to show for it, but so do the Ducks, and it's the opposing team coming out of the game with the 2 points.

#41 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Sojourn @ Oct 13 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Because if I'm the opposing team I'm liking that message.

I think that is exactly what's going on, and I think you are right. Opposing teams love it.

They can get the Ducks' three best offensive players off their game, keep them off the ice, get PP opportunities, and not put those three, plus some combination of Selanne, Koivu, and Visnovsky on the PP?

With the defense they currently have?

Money!

#42 Jspiral

Jspiral

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I agree with Quackhead. I don't like the tantrums either. If they want to show the other team that they mean business then they need to go out there and play hockey. Maybe score some goals even. This has been embarrassing.

#43 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Their war cry needs to be "Scoreboard!"

#44 kidish

kidish

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Not to mention, you all wonder why the refs look more closely at Anaheim to make calls. (Or conversely, ignore penalties against Anaheim.)

The rep these little whiny boys have generated is why Detroit goes on the power play seven times for every one time for Anaheim.

#45 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

QUOTE (HockeyHeaven @ Oct 13 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...The italicized parts are "Captain-Speak".

The bolded part is definitely not. "Tough buildings" and "on the road"? Are you kidding me? These words should not be coming out of the mouth of one single person who works for the organization. Weak excuses for poor performance are not the way to build a culture of winning. A culture of whining? Sure.

You are spot on.

But with the leader of our hockey operations hiding most of the time and letting others be the mouthpiece for the team (mainly Randy Carlyle; though a good hockey man, a very poor spokesperson), and then every couple of months peeks out from under his stool and tries to feed the fans some pablum, while patting us on the back saying "there, there, little children, you just don't understand"... Getzlaf has nothing to follow.

Not to give him an excuse, but Bob Murray sets a terrible example of leadership in Anaheim. Can you imagine this kind of crap being splattered about with Brian Burke in charge? He'd tell everyone to zip it, and he'd do the public talking. Instead, we have GM that hides, and then pops his head out every once in a while to make some old, tired, over-used statements, in an effort to deflect his public responsibilities elsewhere.

#46 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

QUOTE (Jspiral @ Oct 13 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Quackhead. I don't like the tantrums either. If they want to show the other team that they mean business then they need to go out there and play hockey. Maybe score some goals even. This has been embarrassing.

I can't really disagree with this sentiment, I can only say that I always tune in to the end of Duck games. ALWAYS!

And Getzlaf can fight all he wants. If he breaks his thumb, he breaks his thumb.

#47 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Can you imagine this kind of crap being splattered about with Brian Burke in charge? He'd tell everyone to zip it, and he'd do the public talking. Instead, we have GM that hides, and then pops his head out every once in a while to make some old, tired, over-used statements, in an effort to deflect his public responsibilities elsewhere.

I agree. And you're dead on about it not happening under BB. He didn't truck that s*#t!

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't really disagree with this sentiment, I can only say that I always tune in to the end of Duck games. ALWAYS!

And Getzlaf can fight all he wants. If he breaks his thumb, he breaks his thumb.

It'd be one way to sit him, and take the "C" away from him....

#48 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

LOL...keep bickering people, lets take the C from getzlaf yeehaaawww!!!

#49 Sojourn

Sojourn

Legend

• Members
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 13 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL...keep bickering people, lets take the C from getzlaf yeehaaawww!!!

Look, we get it. You're a big Getzlaf fan. Do you realize that you're adding nothing to the conversation? All I'm seeing from your posts is a Getzlaf homer who thinks Getzlaf is God's gift to hockey. Well, guess what? Based on what I'm seeing Getzlaf thinks the exact same thing, and he's not making any friends here because of it.

#50 Jspiral

Jspiral

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just feel there are better ways for a person to focus their frustrations. But then again I'm a different kind of competitor. I shut my mouth and go out there and work my butt off. If you get the best of me then I'll congratulate you on a good game with a sincere smile. I will not give you the satisfaction of showing negative emotions. Then I'll take a look at why it was you got the best of me and I'll rectify it so I can come back and get me some. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users