RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Nice bit of knowledge:

@AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
Did you know-- Cogliano won fastest skater competition at 2009 #NHL #SuperSkills. Also led EDM in faceoff wins last year.

#27 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Reading the twitter post ---->
AnaheimDucks Did you know-- Cogliano won fastest skater competition at 2009 #NHL #SuperSkills. Also led EDM in faceoff wins last year.

Both things rock. Especially the faceoff thing. Sure it was on a crap team. Who knows.... Maybe instead of Blake v.2.0 he is Marchant 2.0?
And I don't care what position he plays at this moment, if we sign him, its a body with NHL experience.

#28 runaroundace

runaroundace

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Todrick @ Jul 12 2011, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought

Beleskey - Cogs - Sexton

But either will work

Do you like Beleskey and Sexton more than McMillan or do you see McMillan moving up to the 2nd line? I thought McMillan was our best 3rd line player last year, and a lot better than Beleskey and Sexton.

#29 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

So from the sounds of Eric Stephens blog post, think its safe to say that the arb date still stands:

An arbitration hearing for Cogliano has been set for July 21 in Toronto. Cogliano made $1 million last season and is a restricted free agent.

OCR Blog

#30 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

I watch a LOT of hockey and I have no real knowledge of Andrew Cogliano. That tells me that he's a guy that does nothing on the ice worth taking notice of so I looked him up and here's what I've learned:

Andrew Cogliano

24 years old
Career high is 18 goals (did that in both his rookie season and his sophomore season)
Career high is 45 points (rookie season)
Took 73 PIM in his first three seasons combined then took 64 last year
Has never missed a single game and has played in all 82 games each of his four seasons in the NHL
5'10" and 184 pounds (Those are program listings so he's probably shorter and lighter in real life)
He's one of the absolute worst centers at winning faceoffs not just in the current NHL but in the history of the sport (http://www.coppernbl...-with-cogs.html)

He's fast...he's got a lot of heart and he's small. In other words, he truly is a much younger version of Jason Blake and I think I just threw up in my mouth. I am not a fan of this guy at all. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and I'll judge him purely on what he does while he's with the Ducks but based on what he's done so far I expect extremely little out of this guy and I have a feeling we'll only notice him when he's losing a key faceoff for us in the defensive zone that ends up behind Jonas Hiller.

#31 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (RGS_Quack93 @ Jul 12 2011, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice bit of knowledge: @AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
Did you know-- Cogliano won fastest skater competition at 2009 #NHL #SuperSkills. Also led EDM in faceoff wins last year.

First one is good.

Second one a bit deceiving. His FO% was 41.6%. I guess that's what you get from the worst team in the league.

#32 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that the Ducks will sign him to a contract I just didn't know if the team needed to go to arbitration with him or not. Arbitration ruins a players relationship with a team 99.9% of the time and if the first thing Andrew Cogliano hears from the Ducks is how much he sucks and why he doesn't deserve any money I doubt he'd ever feel like he was truly welcome here.

I think the arbitration hearing still stands....Just like the qualifying offer, given by Edmonton, would still stand with relation to the Ducks....as far as keeping him from being a UFA.

BUT, if you're trying to trade for a guy without a contract, it wouldn't shock me if Edmonton/Anaheim worked out some direct contact between the Ducks and Cogliano's agent. Hopefully, a signed contract is just a formality at this point(?)

As for his past....Those 18 goals/year in his first two seasons with Edmonton look promising. This was before the Oil started to suck really bad. Let's hope that early promise comes back with a new situation.

#33 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Jul 12 2011, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First one is good.

Second one a bit deceiving. His FO% was 41.6%. I guess that's what you get from the worst team in the league.

Whoa. False Advertising.

Puck daddy article. Good read.
http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

#34 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Burns94 @ Jul 12 2011, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt we would have traded for him if we didn't think we could get a deal done. The meeting is still scheduled to happen but it's very likely for them to get a deal done before.

This move definitely gives us more flexibility in our lineup

If he's a guy that filed for arbitration, then we WILL get a deal done, like it or not!

#35 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

And Dan Sexton is no longer the "hot" offseason move by the Ducks. awesome...........

#36 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Jul 12 2011, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First one is good.

41.6????????????????? Holy crap.

#37 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (runaroundace @ Jul 12 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you like Beleskey and Sexton more than McMillan or do you see McMillan moving up to the 2nd line? I thought McMillan was our best 3rd line player last year, and a lot better than Beleskey and Sexton.

Sexton = Crazy Fast
Cogs = Stupid Fast

I don't care who else is there with those two. but saw Beleskey as a W and McMillan as a C

#38 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Am I the only one that thinks a second round pick is a bit much to give up for a player that is not a top two line guy, who also has no contract?

Murray must think a lot of this player.

#39 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

A fast center who doesn't score, isn't very good defensively, isn't physical, and can't win faceoffs. A small Brian Sutherby????

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Jul 12 2011, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one that thinks a second round pick is a bit much to give up for a player that is not a top two line guy, who also has no contract?

Murray must think a lot of this player.

No, you're not.

#40 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Jul 12 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2007-2008 = 39.5% (542 total faceoffs)
2008-2009 = 37.2% (702 total faceoffs)
2009-2010 = 43.0% (379 total faceoffs)
2010-2011 = 41.6% (1,108 total faceoffs)

#41 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Jul 12 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emphasis on the crap.

In my mind, that completely rules him out as an effective pk'ing center.

#42 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (HockeyHeaven @ Jul 12 2011, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A fast center who doesn't score, isn't very good defensively, isn't physical, and can't win faceoffs. A small Brian Sutherby????

But he's REALLY fast! You know, like Dan Sexton! Only he'll cost more money and will lose faceoffs with impunity.

#43 Ahh_Damn

Ahh_Damn

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

if the ducks sign him,hopefully Getlaf or Koivu can teach him more on faceoffs

#44 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Jul 12 2011, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the arbitration hearing still stands....Just like the qualifying offer, given by Edmonton, would still stand with relation to the Ducks....as far as keeping him from being a UFA.

BUT, if you're trying to trade for a guy without a contract, it wouldn't shock me if Edmonton/Anaheim worked out some direct contact between the Ducks and Cogliano's agent. Hopefully, a signed contract is just a formality at this point(?)

As for his past....Those 18 goals/year in his first two seasons with Edmonton look promising. This was before the Oil started to suck really bad. Let's hope that early promise comes back with a new situation.

I'm with you, in the middle somewhere. This is not the time to be saying Bob Murray is some genius. Edmonton was obviously not happy with Cog and well when the arb is announced that's either the time Edmonton started calling around or the time teams like Anaheim who were flat-footed the last 12 days started calling them. Either way this is a guy who had significant potential as a speedy scoring center .. enough talent to play on a second line. But something went wrong the last two years. If he can get us 10 goals in a 3rd line role and either NOT take face offs at all or learn to win some .... and get some kind of bounce-back playing on a good team instead of a pitiful one, then this is a good move that helps where we need it. If he wins 41% of his face offs well .... OH NO!! But maybe that can change somehow or maybe Mac can center him.

Either way, he looks to have played significant time Shorthanded for Edmonton ... Bob must be looking at him to fill in for Marchant and he looks to me to be an upgrade. I think the jury is out, but it looks like a good try ... and a good way to get a player fairly cheap ... pick over the guys with Arbitration hearings coming up.

#45 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But he's REALLY fast! You know, like Dan Sexton! Only he'll cost more money and will lose faceoffs with impunity.

Maybe he can put the puck in his pocket (after someone else wins the FO) skate down at lightning speed and throw it in the net......

How about getting someone who has proven that they can SCORE GOALS in the NHL?

#46 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

My question is...what does this guy do well? He's fast, I get that, but so are a LOT of players in the NHL. This is not a league of slow players anymore and he's not THAT much faster than anyone else. He can't score (much), he can't win faceoffs to save his life apparently, he's not big, he's not good defensively so...what am I missing?

#47 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (DucksFan2035 @ Jul 12 2011, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if the ducks sign him,hopefully Getlaf or Koivu can teach him more on faceoffs

Koivu? yeah.

Getzlaf? he needs tutelage as well.

#48 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

I think Bargain Basement Bob might have just gotten pick-pocketed looking for a Blue Light Special.

#49 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WTF???? I take back my entire last post. This is a total bonehead move unless Bob has already decided this guy never takes a faceoff here. Guys with 48% face off percentages are labelled incompetent. I've never seen face off numbers like that from ANYONE. OUCH.

#50 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry. The guy is not a center. Not with those numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users