#51 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Jul 12 2011, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Bargain Basement Bob might have just gotten pick-pocketed looking for a Blue Light Special.

Where have you been. I would have gone for more of an alliteration. You know "Barstool Bob Blunders then bobbles a blue plate special in the bargain basement" .... nevermind, yours is better.

#52 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Tempting Bob Murray with a former first round pick is like waving a liquor store gift card in the face of an alcoholic.

#53 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is...what does this guy do well? He's fast, I get that, but so are a LOT of players in the NHL. This is not a league of slow players anymore and he's not THAT much faster than anyone else. He can't score (much), he can't win faceoffs to save his life apparently, he's not big, he's not good defensively so...what am I missing?

You are missing nothing. Wait till all the good UFA's are gone then start calling about the RFAs that filed for arbitration and you end up getting the guys EDMONTON didn't want.

#54 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

Here are his faceoff numbers on the road in his career (when the other team gets to send over whoever they want to face him):

2007-2008 = 39.0% (267 total faceoffs)
2008-2009 = 33.8% (317 total faceoffs)
2009-2010 = 38.5% (208 total faceoffs)
2010-2011 = 39.4% (536 total faceoffs)

This guy simply cannot be allowed to play center for the Ducks. Ever.

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Jul 12 2011, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tempting Bob Murray with a former first round pick is like waving a liquor store gift card in the face of an alcoholic.

clapping.gif

#55 Burns94

Burns94

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Well with Marchant as a 'coach' now maybe he can teach somthing to Cogs.
I think he has averaged 14 goals for his first 4 seasons in the NHL. The last two seasons were on a terrible Edmonton team. His stats are better than any of our current 3rd liners.

He scored more on the Oilers than Blake did on a line with freakingg Teemu Selanne, if we don't see him as a 3rd Line C then he can at least take over Blake's spot which I sure hope he does. I can only see his numbers going up playing a line with a hall of famer and a suitable 2nd line C. Blake is more suited to be a 3rd liner anyways

Cogs - Koivu - Selanne
Blake - McMillan - DSP/Belesky/etc.

#56 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (HockeyHeaven @ Jul 12 2011, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A fast center who doesn't score, isn't very good defensively, isn't physical, and can't win faceoffs. A small Brian Sutherby????

No, you're not.

but you are in a small minority

#57 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Todrick @ Jul 12 2011, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but you are in a small minority

You like this trade?!? If so then I believe it is you that is in a "small minority". If not then you are, I believe, one of many.

#58 ducksfan13

ducksfan13

Legend

• Members
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Cogliano isnt my first choice for a 3rd line center but at least one of those question marks is filled in... noexpression.gif

#59 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You like this trade?!? If so then I believe it is you that is in a "small minority". If not then you are, I believe, one of many.

I want back on the fence. My guess is that Cogliani can do what MacMillan did. Provide energy, a little offense and for sure durability. Speed is good, of course. Speed and size would be better.

Considering there are virtually NO 3rd line centers that can win a face off available, Bob at least picked up a 3rd line winger that has a lot more offensive punch than last years 3rd line wingers.

If, like the Ducks Twitter, he thinks this is our third line center who "led Edmonton in face off wins last year" then we are SUNK.

As of now, I think the guy might help us kill some minutes and give our ACTUAL hockey playing forwards a rest. All 3 of them.

#60 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Looks to me like the only viable reason to like this trade is:

"In Bo(o)b We Trust"

#61 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

I take back my thing about marchant 2.0
Faceoff numbers are worse tha my NHL 11 online character. And I literally win one faceoff a game.

#62 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Well, there's no law we HAVE to use him as a center. More than a few have made the switch from center to wing....(and TSN lists him as both).

So, let me change the question: Given the choice between Sexton or Cogliano as a 3rd line wing.....who do you want?

Or, given the choice between Blake or Cogliano on the 2nd line wing, who do you want?

Obviously, training camp and pre-season is probably required to decide that, so no answer is wrong just yet.

#63 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (DuckNewbie @ Jul 12 2011, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there's no law we HAVE to use him as a center. More than a few have made the switch from center to wing....(and TSN lists him as both).

So, let me change the question: Given the choice between Sexton or Cogliano as a 3rd line wing.....who do you want?

Or, given the choice between Blake or Cogliano on the 2nd line wing, who do you want?

Obviously, training camp and pre-season is probably required to decide that, so no answer is wrong just yet.

YES!! Cogliano over Sexton!!!

#64 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

surprise surprise, another 1st round bust, reject player. Bob likes those guys. He dumpster dives for former 1st round picks then hopes they miraculously play to their potential.... Chipchura, Nokes, Eminger. He justifies it by thinking, YEAH! I just got a 1st round pick for a 2nd, aaahahahaha! those fools!

freakin stupid. So continues the 3rd line merry go round....

#65 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Does this drive anyone else crazy? After seeing Cogliano's not bad but PATHETIC face off stats here's the Duck press release:

ANAHEIM, Calif. The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired center Andrew Cogliano from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a second-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

Cogliano, 24 (6/14/87), appeared in 82 games for the Edmonton Oilers last season, collecting 11-24=35 points with 64 penalty minutes (PIM). Cogliano has not missed a game since making his NHL debut with Edmonton in 2007-08, appearing in all 82 games in each of his four NHL seasons. The 5-10, 185-pound center ranked fifth on the club in scoring and assists, third in game-winning goals (3), and led the team in games played. He also paced all Edmonton skaters with a career-high 461 faceoff wins.

They really do think the fans are stupid, huh?

#66 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Jul 12 2011, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this drive anyone else crazy? After seeing Cogliano's not bad but PATHETIC face off stats here's the Duck press release:

They really do think the fans are stupid, huh?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

#67 ZOT

ZOT

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Face-offs looks like it will be a problem, however, Carlyle will throw 2 centers out there to try to get an advantage. Oiler fans are calling him a good replacement to Marchant. All I know is that Cogs is durable, young, and could put the puck in the net. Marchant had one goal last season, while Cogs had 11. He also played a lot of PK mins. for a terrible Oiler team. Being on the Ducks will be a luxury for him, and he won't have the pressure to perform like his rookie season. All in all, I'd rather have fast, grinding 3rd line who can put pressure on the other team.

#68 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Not a fan. Who can like parmasean cheese over Cheddar?

http://yfrog.com/kh16ztnj

Oilers InfoGraphic

#69 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Sarge @ Jul 12 2011, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a name like Cogliano? It may be genetically programed. smile.gif

#70 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Sarge @ Jul 12 2011, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://yfrog.com/kh16ztnj

Oilers InfoGraphic

No kidding.

Furthermore: Sneakers over Flip-flops? Dress shirt over T-shirt?

Not a fit for Southern California at all.

And Chips over Chocolate? That really makes him suspect...

#71 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

we're aquiring reject players from the worst team in the league...

I really hope he proves me wrong, but dangit, why can't we go after real talent and not could be real talent?

#72 Reb

Reb

DUCK!

• Mods
  • 10,643 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, keeping body and soul together, reading, DVD's, Pool,pool right here in river city.

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (TroyLoney @ Jul 12 2011, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Excellent quote. I use it myself sometimes. smile.gif

#73 hiuDUCKSfan

hiuDUCKSfan

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

So no one here thinks a change of scenery will benefit this guy? No one thinks that playing on a much better team with experienced guys who know how to win faceoffs will be a benefit? I know it isn't what most people wanted, but it seems like we should at least see what he does in a Ducks' sweater before we completely destroy him. It seems like the cool thing to do on this board right now is piss and moan.

#74 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

i'm pissing and moaning about BM decisions. Sure Cogliano could be amazing. could is the key word. I don't like Bob's decision to build our 3rd line with "could" players. Bring in a center who is good at faceoffs and defensively reliable, instead of a guy who could be. get my point?

sorry if a center who's 41% in the circle and a -12 doesn't make me go from six to midnight.

#75 hiuDUCKSfan

hiuDUCKSfan

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

I am not saying it should make you go from 6 to midnight. He is terrible on the dots. It just seems like we have already written him off as an all around terrible player when it seems like he has the makings of a decent 3rd line winger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users