93 replies to this topic

#1 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ducks announce three-year entry level deal for first round defenseman pick Shea Theodore.

#2 mighty all the way

mighty all the way

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Nice, I hope we dont rush him like Fowler. He could use some work on the Defensive side but he's been impressive.

#3 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Nice, I hope we dont rush him like Fowler. He could use some work on the Defensive side but he's been impressive.

Yeah no way we see him this year. I think they would rush Lindholm before Theodore but both need at least this season in Norfolk before we bring them up.

#4 mighty all the way

mighty all the way

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yeah no way we see him this year. I think they would rush Lindholm before Theodore but both need at least this season in Norfolk before we bring them up.

Can Theodore be sent to the NHL or back to Juniors?

#5 seesaws

seesaws

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

If he gets sent down (which I'm certain he will) he'd be going to juniors.

#6 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

If he gets sent down (which I'm certain he will) he'd be going to juniors.

Oh yeah, that stupid age limit thing.

#7 mighty all the way

mighty all the way

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

I meant AHL but in think you figured it out. Why was lindholm able to play in the AHL last season? Some lockout rule?

#8 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Why was lindholm able to play in the AHL last season? Some lockout rule?

The age rule is to protect the Canadian Juniors system.  But Lindholm never played in Canada, only in Sweden.  Therefore, he's not covered by the rule.  (Same as Palmieri, except that he came out of college early instead of Sweden).

#9 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ducks sign defenseman Shea... AWWW YEEEEEAH  :wavetowel2: :wavetowel2: :wavetowel2:

Theodore.  :noexpression:

:yawn:

#10 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

Is there a Theodore thread somewhere or is this it?

#11 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,030 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

No, this is the thread for the other Shea Theodore.

Fore!

#12 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

This kid has got the goods.  He's an NHL player.

The Ducks have SIX NHL capable Dmen under 25 years of age (Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Theodore, Despres), and two of them (Theodore, Lindholm) are 22 or younger.

AND four of them (Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Despres) have 160+ NHL games of experience.

#13 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,030 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

Hello. School, can you hear me? Good morning, students, teachers, faculty members, lunch ladies, janitors. This is Kenny Powers, professional hockey poster, and I got something I wanna say. A lot of you m*f*ers think you know who Shea Theodore is. Well, I'm here today to tell y'all you don't know s*.

#14 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,392 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Shea Theodore has played well since his call-up from San Diego (AHL). Theodore has appeared in six games and has a plus-2 rating. He’s also played over 21 minutes in the last two contests, which has helped soak up some of what the Ducks lost with Cam Fowler (knee) being hurt.

“He has handled it at different levels before,” Boudreau said. “That amount of ice time and more. When he was in Seattle (in junior hockey), it might not have been a good team but he was playing 35 minutes a night.

“He’s done a very admirable job for us since he’s been called up. He moves the puck great. We showed some clips of him this morning moving the puck and how quick it was off his stick and on to somebody else’s stick. Those are all good things.”

link

#15 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

ROSTER MOVE: #NHLDucks reassign defenseman Shea Theodore to the @SDGullsAHL:

This actually makes sense. Witht he league being on break for the ASG, this gives Shea a chance to go down and play some games

#16 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,030 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

This actually makes sense. Witht he league being on break for the ASG, this gives Shea a chance to go down and play some games

Agreed.

Playing in SD obviously did Theodore some good. Sans injury (knock on wood), it sure can't hurt him.

#17 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,392 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:01 AM

Someone who isn’t part of the mix in these upcoming games is Shea Theodore. The rookie was sent back to the San Diego Gulls of the American Hockey League last week and will remain there, at least in the immediate future with the blue line now healthy.

Asked if the young defender is a victim of a numbers game, Boudreau simply said, “At this stage.”

“Shea played very well for us,” Boudreau continued. “He’s a 20-year-old that’s going to have a great future in this league. But the entry-level contracts are the only thing that the teams have (to move players without needing waivers). (Goalie John) Gibson felt it and he ended up doing a great job and playing well for us.

“Theo now knows – if he ever thought or doubted that he could play in the NHL, he’s probably feeling a lot more confident over the last five games that he played. Sami (Vatanen) went through it. Hampus (Lindholm) has gone through it. Everybody’s gone through it.”

link

#18 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,771 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

I'm getting carried away here with his play and potential, but I think he's one of our top 6 dmen right now and we are a better team with him in the line up than with any other combination of our 6 guys. Make a trade and get this guy on our roster permanently. 

Until now, having 8 NHL dmen on the roster has been a bonus - always a battle for ice time and always a replacement for injury. But now having all these NHL dmen on the roster is bad. There has to be movement soon, and FOR SURE before the deadline that gets Theodore on our roster. 

#19 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,030 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

Unless a great deal for a proven, current scorer is available to the Ducks (remember we aren't the only ones looking for scoring... MIN, STL, MTL, etc.)  I think Bob is going to bide his time to see how our defense shapes up without Theodore. They have the luxury of leaving him to play locally in SD, and then will have the luxury of adding him for the playoffs when the roster limit is lifted. I think it even happens before the PO's begin.

Now I'm NOT saying I think they should do this, just that I think it's what Murray will do.

Our overall improved production has taken immediate pressure off the need for another scoring winger, so why make a move just to make a move??? Leave the chemistry amongst the forward groups alone for now. 

I think Perron has fit in well and produced, and see no reason why that won't continue to happen. He's doing all the right things and seems to be a fit with Getzlaf, which allows us to spread the wealth with Perry on another line. Another thing I'm encouraged with Perron is that his production has come from getting the type of scoring chances our system is designed to produce, as opposed to doing it by himself (like Sexton's initial production, for example). Also, I think he's made the players around him more effective (e.g. directly=Getzlaf, indirectly=Perry), which is another good sign.

I'm getting carried away here with his play and potential, but I think he's one of our top 6 dmen right now and we are a better team with him in the line up than with any other combination of our 6 guys. Make a trade and get this guy on our roster permanently. 

Until now, having 8 NHL dmen on the roster has been a bonus - always a battle for ice time and always a replacement for injury. But now having all these NHL dmen on the roster is bad. There has to be movement soon, and FOR SURE before the deadline that gets Theodore on our roster. 

#20 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,771 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Unless a great deal for a proven, current scorer is available to the Ducks (remember we aren't the only ones looking for scoring... MIN, STL, MTL, etc.)  I think Bob is going to bide his time to see how our defense shapes up without Theodore. They have the luxury of leaving him to play locally in SD, and then will have the luxury of adding him for the playoffs when the roster limit is lifted. I think it even happens before the PO's begin.

Now I'm NOT saying I think they should do this, just that I think it's what Murray will do.

Our overall improved production has taken immediate pressure off the need for another scoring winger, so why make a move just to make a move??? Leave the chemistry amongst the forward groups alone for now. 

I think Perron has fit in well and produced, and see no reason why that won't continue to happen. He's doing all the right things and seems to be a fit with Getzlaf, which allows us to spread the wealth with Perry on another line. Another thing I'm encouraged with Perron is that his production has come from getting the type of scoring chances our system is designed to produce, as opposed to doing it by himself (like Sexton's initial production, for example). Also, I think he's made the players around him more effective (e.g. directly=Getzlaf, indirectly=Perry), which is another good sign.

I'm not sold on Perron as any sort of solution, I almost think it's coincidence - but at least for now he's freed the roster to split Perry and Getz. The second we go down 2-0 and can't get anything going though I think BB still goes right back to playing them together. 

I agree with what you say about Bob's view on the D - he's just gonna chalk up Theodore not being on the roster to "dumb NHL waiver rules", kick a chair and get over it. He'll be sitting in front of a bowl of chicken wings, bbq sauce all over his puffy cheeks, cackling out loud at how he's the only guy with 22 proven NHL defensemen in his system. 

#21 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

I really like Perron as well. But I'd really like to see us add another true offensive catalyst to play on either the Getzlaf or Perry line, and on the 2nd line in events where we put the twins back together (it's inevitable).

#22 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

As much as I like Perron, I think his hot start here has fooled a few people into thinking hes some elite 30 goal scorer or something. Sorry folks, hes never scored 30 goals in a season. Hes a decent enough 2nd line winger but far from elite or worthy of 1st line treatment. And while this team has done better int he scoring department, they still arent any sort of show in to score 3-4 goals a night.

This team still needs offense. This team has an abundance of proven defensemen. There is a logjam on the blueline and a need in the top 6 forwards.

You want to leave the forward chemistry alone? Lets remember who we have in our top 6 right now... Stewart and Maroon. Yeah, those same guys everyone has been bitching about all season. So all of a sudden Maroon is fine to be int he top 6 and you dont see how you could possibly use a top 6 scoring winger? Ill disagree, and I actually like Maroon.

Here's the rub. Theodore came in and proved he could play, and play well. "Well everyones gotta take their lumps", "Vats and Lindholm went through the same thing". Fine, partially true but there is also a huge difference in the situations. When Vats and Linholm we're coming up, the Ducks werent even close to being contenders. They we'rent one or two pieces away from winning the whole thing. There werent similar contract situations and proven blueliners who could easily take over.

Fowler was out a month and this team only got better. Im not saying that Fowler hurts the team or that hes not a good player, quite the opposite, but I think it goes to show that you can remove one of those guys and not miss a beat. Theodore has proven to be that valuable.

i dont think the question should be "How does this D look without Theodore?" the question should be "Are we any worse with Theodore taking over for a guy like Vats or Fowler?".

Also, who cares if the rosters expand in the playoffs? You still have the same problem... you can only play so many dmen. If you make no trade, where does Theodore fit in with a fully healthy blueline? I dont think he does because you need balance.

Im with LGD, someone needs to be traded by the deadline to bring Theodore back up and bolster this teams top 6.

#23 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

As much as I like Perron, I think his hot start here has fooled a few people into thinking hes some elite 30 goal scorer or something. Sorry folks, hes never scored 30 goals in a season. Hes a decent enough 2nd line winger but far from elite or worthy of 1st line treatment. And while this team has done better int he scoring department, they still arent any sort of show in to score 3-4 goals a night.

This team still needs offense. This team has an abundance of proven defensemen. There is a logjam on the blueline and a need in the top 6 forwards.

You want to leave the forward chemistry alone? Lets remember who we have in our top 6 right now... Stewart and Maroon. Yeah, those same guys everyone has been bitching about all season. So all of a sudden Maroon is fine to be int he top 6 and you dont see how you could possibly use a top 6 scoring winger? Ill disagree, and I actually like Maroon.

Here's the rub. Theodore came in and proved he could play, and play well. "Well everyones gotta take their lumps", "Vats and Lindholm went through the same thing". Fine, partially true but there is also a huge difference in the situations. When Vats and Linholm we're coming up, the Ducks werent even close to being contenders. They we'rent one or two pieces away from winning the whole thing. There werent similar contract situations and proven blueliners who could easily take over.

Fowler was out a month and this team only got better. Im not saying that Fowler hurts the team or that hes not a good player, quite the opposite, but I think it goes to show that you can remove one of those guys and not miss a beat. Theodore has proven to be that valuable.

i dont think the question should be "How does this D look without Theodore?" the question should be "Are we any worse with Theodore taking over for a guy like Vats or Fowler?".

Also, who cares if the rosters expand in the playoffs? You still have the same problem... you can only play so many dmen. If you make no trade, where does Theodore fit in with a fully healthy blueline? I dont think he does because you need balance.

Im with LGD, someone needs to be traded by the deadline to bring Theodore back up and bolster this teams top 6.

I'm in the camp that says it needs to be Fowler.  I LOVE Cam, but he has become expendable to be honest.  Move him for some desperately needed forward talent.

#24 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,030 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

While I am excited about Shea Theodore, I think it's ludicrous how much you are hyping him.

How many NHL games has he played in his career???

More importantly, how many NHL playoff games has he got under his belt?

#25 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

While I am excited about Shea Theodore, I think it's ludicrous how much you are hyping him.

How many NHL games has he played in his career???

More importantly, how many NHL playoff games has he got under his belt?

While I understand what you are saying, if you swapped Theodore for Fowler I'm not seeing any let down, only the very real possibility of more scoring chances.

I'm not worried about Shea Theodore not being up to the challenge, regular season or playoffs.  He's gonna take his lumps, that's the process.

If Cam Fowler (or Sami Vatanen) were legit #1 NHL Dmen who could dictate play and be difference-makers in the playoffs (like Keith or Doughty), then I would agree.  But they aren't. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users