1767 replies to this topic

#26 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

5. Quote of the week: “Hearing Buffalo is looking for a left-shot defenceman,” I told one GM. Reply: “You’re really on top of things. That’s been going on since the draft.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-power-struggle-over-the-coachs-challenge/

#27 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

Ok so here are some rumors to get the juices flowing...

There is one other agent situation to watch. The best source for information is here, as Ritch Winter is suing former partner Claude Lemieux.

I’m not going to wade into the right/wrong of this complaint, because I’ve got no clue. Ducks GM Bob Murray is keeping a low profile right now, so he did not comment, but word is the split affected Anaheim’s negotiations with two clients from that firm — Frederik Andersen and Hampus Lindholm. Not an easy situation for two younger players.

Lemieux technically isn’t supposed to negotiate, although he has now applied for certification, which changes that. Clients will be allowed to keep one of the two, or switch to someone else.

Friedman

So this points to potential issues dealing with Andersens and Lindholms agents...

• The Leafs and Ducks are reportedly having significant talks involving a number of players. TFP could not confirm which players were being discussed.
  • The Leafs could be looking for a new No. 1 goalie. Among the Leafs that are available – Roman Polak, Joffrey Lupul, Tyler Bozak and Michael Grabner.
  • TFP reported back in September that the Leafs almost traded James van Riemsdykto the Penguins before they made the Phil Kessel trade.

If TOR is looking for a #1 goalie, and Murray is having issues dealing with Andersens agent... maybe Bob tries to get JVR out of TOR? Maybe Grabner?

And to go with that....

Bozak, Bernier and JVR are not on the ice this morning. #TMLtalk

#28 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

Ok so here are some rumors to get the juices flowing...

Friedman

So this points to potential issues dealing with Andersens and Lindholms agents...

Yeah, I posted that over in some other thread, and mentioned that array has had problems with Ritch Winter in the past, as Bobby Ryan's agent when Ryan finally had to come in and negotiate his contract by himself at the last before the season that year.

Hopefully, our two kids go with some other agent.

If TOR is looking for a #1 goalie, and Murray is having issues dealing with Andersens agent... maybe Bob tries to get JVR out of TOR? Maybe Grabner?

I'd love JVR here. I know you've coveted him for a while now, back to when he was a Flyer.

However, I believe they have to send Bernier back in any deal. If they've got issues with their goalies now (and I've read part of it is Bernier's attitude), they certainly would not want to bring in another #1 without getting him out of the room.

#29 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'd love JVR here. I know you've coveted him for a while now, back to when he was a Flyer.

However, I believe they have to send Bernier back in any deal. If they've got issues with their goalies now (and I've read part of it is Bernier's attitude), they certainly would not want to bring in another #1 without getting him out of the room.

Yes, I'd love JVR here. I dont know that WE would have to take Bernier, but he would probably have to be shipped out to someone. Maybe the Sabers would take Bernier as their stop gap until Lehner is back.

#30 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

Oh s*. They're not on the ice!!

#31 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

Oh s*. They're not on the ice!!

Say what?

#32 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:17 AM

Say what?

Bozak, JVR and Bernier are not on the ice. I posted the tweet about it in my original post.

The thought though is that Bernier is hurt. TOR made an emergency goalie call up today.

Sounds like Bozak is missing for personal reasons...

Bozak may miss tomorrow's game against Winnipeg. Personal reasons.

So Bernier and Bozak are explained... that leaves JVR

#33 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

And apparently JVR missing for 'maintenance' 

Tyler Bozak (personal) and James van Riemsdyk (maintenance) were also absent from practice today. #TMLtalk

Maint seems like it could be an excuse for a player who might be traded

#34 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

DIdnt know where exactly to post this, but a good read and interesting opinion on true #1 dmen, something we sorely need. I put it here becuase I think it can ignite a 'who to trade for' discussion... If a Mod believes it should be put elsewhere, please do so

True No. 1

Drew Doughty, Los Angeles.
Duncan Keith, Chicago.
Shea Weber, Nashville.
P.K. Subban, Montreal.
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa.
Ryan Suter, Minnesota.
Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona.
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh.
Mark Giordano, Calgary.
Ryan McDonagh, Rangers
Alex Pietrangelo, Blues.

Top Pairing

Zdeno Chara,  Boston.
John Carlson, Washington.
Brent Seabrook, Chicago.
Roman Josi, Nashville.
Seth Jones, Nashville.
Brent Burns, San Jose.
Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis.
Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim.
Dustin Byfuglien, Winnipeg.
Andrei Markov, Montreal.
Erik Johnson, Colorado.
Justin Faulk, Carolina.
Nik Kronwall, Detroit.

A more interesting group is the emerging, young possible No. 1s:

Aaron Ekblad, Florida.
Seth Jones, Nashville.
Morgan Rielly, Toronto.
T.J. Brodie, Calgary.

Edmonton Journal

Now this is just Mathesons opinion but notice the Fowler and Vatanen are not included here and the Lindholm doesnt get mentioned in there "possible No 1's' group either.

#35 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

DIdnt know where exactly to post this, but a good read and interesting opinion on true #1 dmen, something we sorely need. I put it here becuase I think it can ignite a 'who to trade for' discussion... If a Mod believes it should be put elsewhere, please do so

Edmonton Journal

Now this is just Mathesons opinion but notice the Fowler and Vatanen are not included here and the Lindholm doesnt get mentioned in there "possible No 1's' group either.

I find it odd that Matheson would rate T.J. Brodie as a possible #1 and not Lindholm. He's 4 seasons older, and Hampus is already showing enough improvement season by season to get there, while Brodie has had twice as much time. Doesn't compute.

Also, Morgan Rielly has shown nothing that says he's going to be better than Lindholm. He hasn't improved that TOR defense much at all, while Hampus has tremendously improved our defense. He has enabled us to have two top pairings instead of one, with Fowler in the other.

As for Cam Fowler, there is NO QUESTION that he is better than Justin Faulk or Eric Johnson. Not only does his NHL record prove it (his stats and the successes of his team), so does his Olympic experience.

And where is your buddy Dion Phaneuf on that list? ;)

#36 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

I find it odd that Matheson would rate T.J. Brodie as a possible #1 and not Lindholm. He's 4 seasons older, and Hampus is already showing enough improvement season by season to get there, while Brodie has had twice as much time. Doesn't compute.

Also, Morgan Rielly has shown nothing that says he's going to be better than Lindholm. He hasn't improved that TOR defense much at all, while Hampus has tremendously improved our defense. He has enabled us to have two top pairings instead of one, with Fowler in the other.

As for Cam Fowler, there is NO QUESTION that he is better than Justin Faulk or Eric Johnson. Not only does his NHL record prove it (his stats and the successes of his team), so does his Olympic experience.

And where is your buddy Dion Phaneuf on that list? ;)

Obviously its just one mans opinion with some bias and holes but I think its a decent list none the less. I dont know much about Brody so i cant really speak to him but Reilly gets the short end of the stick in a comparison with Lindholm. Toronto has sucked for years, so hes playing for a much worse team. Lindholm doesnt have as hard of a time as Reilly, so he benefits there.

And Im not saying I dont think Lindholm could become a true #1, but I'd say odds are against that from happening. Just the % of Dmen who actually become true #1's is so so low.

As for Phaneuf, I'm a fan but hes not a #1 and while I think he could possibly make the top pairing group, Im not going to argue that he should be in there either.

#37 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

Actually, "maintenance" is usually code for "nursing minor injury.  Not enough to miss a game, but giving extra rest."

And apparently JVR missing for 'maintenance' 

Maint seems like it could be an excuse for a player who might be traded

#38 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

Actually, "maintenance" is usually code for "nursing minor injury.  Not enough to miss a game, but giving extra rest."

Understood. I know we hear it alot with different plays and thats always what ive thought it meant but when there are rumors swirling a bit, just wondering if maybe they would use the same verbiage in a case where maybe the player is possibly traded or being discussed but they dont want to lead on to it at all 

#39 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

Lindholm was drafted sixth overall, is 6'3" and 205 pounds, he's 21 and he is closing in on 200 games of NHL experience. There's no reason he can't become a #1 defenseman nor should he be considered a longshot to do so. That's what is expected of you when you are taken sixth overall.

#40 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

Lindholm was drafted sixth overall, is 6'3" and 205 pounds, he's 21 and he is closing in on 200 games of NHL experience. There's no reason he can't become a #1 defenseman nor should he be considered a longshot to do so. That's what is expected of you when you are taken sixth overall.

There are arguably 12 #1 dmen in the league out of 30 teams. Figure 7 dmen per team, thats 210 Dmen. Roughly 5.7% of Dmen are true #1's. I think anyone is considered a long shot to be a #1 dman when you have a percentage like that.

I think Lindholm has the skill to do so, but its not an expectation, its a hope that he becomes a true #1.

#41 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

Let me put it this way, I absolutely expect him to be comparable to Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Kris Letang, Mark Giordano and Ryan McDonagh and all of them are on the "true #1 defenseman" list.

#42 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Let me put it this way, I absolutely expect him to be comparable to Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Kris Letang, Mark Giordano and Ryan McDonagh and all of them are on the "true #1 defenseman" list.

I guess the difference is I hope and you expect.

This isnt a rub on Lindholm or anything, Im just trying not to do to him what everyone did to Fowler.

#43 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

Lindholm is never going to be #1 while he plays with Bieksa

#44 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Eric Stephens@icemancometh 2 hours ago

Will write on Hampus Lindholm later but BB said he switched up pairs because he thought Lindholm and Bieksa were struggling together.

https://twitter.com/...167309960249345

#45 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 2 hours ago

he thought Lindholm and Bieksa were struggling together.

https://twitter.com/...167309960249345

Greatly

#46 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Here's a quote for LGD:

Darryl Sutter once described his aversion for trading stars for draft choices this way: “Draft picks have a way of ending up as bartenders.”

#47 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

Gold!

#48 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

Lincolm needs to stop falling.

#49 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,720 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Lincolm needs to stop falling.

It's like Sluggo forgot to put any hollow on his blades.

#50 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

It's like Sluggo forgot to put any hollow on his blades.

Sluggo keeps running his T-blades through the machine, though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users