• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,335 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

The Ducks have acquired right wing Patrick Eaves from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a conditional 2017 second-round draft pick originally acquired from Toronto in the Frederik Andersen trade.

link

Bob McKenzie  @TSNBobMcKenzie 4 minutes ago

If ANA advance to Conf Final and Eaves plays in 50% or more of games in first two rds, selection becomes ANA 1st-rd pick in 2017 NHL Draft.

https://twitter.com/...238403419615232

#2 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

If nothing else, this guy will bring us a strong playoff beard presence.

#3 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

seems like a lot to pay...

#4 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Sell low buy high?

That said, I think this actually could be a good fit. But a FIRST potentially???

#5 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Boy this guy has had a lot of injury problems. It's more than I thought we'd do, and it will sure send a "we need to get it done this year" vibe through the locker room. 

#6 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Another shortcut . Never works but BM keeps trying

#7 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Decent move; especially If he can keep up his PP success this year.

#8 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

More than I thought we'd do but what a gross overpayment. Hes having a career year at 32. Bobs starting to reach, he must feeling the pressure. 

#9 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

I was on fanduel and couldn't figure out why eaves wasn't on the Dallas roster. Then I came here, lol.  

This is the most all-in move I've seen Bob make before the trade deadline.  He's making a push for the cup and I like it.  These are deadline prices whether you like it or not.  I'm impressed he was able to get a guy like eaves with his current cap situation.

#10 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

To me, and I could be way off base, this is a deal that lets BMGM move a dman - most likely Vatanen - and package him with a young forward.  Why else would they get Eaves just to go over the cap more AND give up a first if they make it to the WCF (and Eaves plays in 50% or more of those games)?

#11 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

That could be very possible HH.

BM getting Eaves will only take up $250k in cap space (the actual prorated amount not his annual cap hit) yet since he takes up a roster spot someone will have to be sent down so it's almost a wash IMO. Clearly I think this was one of the attractions (if not the main attraction) for Eaves in that he really doesmt take up cap space. So BM can still not only move Vats for a F with a similar cap hit, he can still add another player (add more cap space) as well if I'm reading our cap space correctly.

NHLNumbers says we have $0.920k in cap space with the Eaves trade yet CapFriendly says we have zero cap space so I don't know which is correct.

#12 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

BM getting Eaves will only take up $250k in cap space (the actual prorated amount not his annual cap hit) yet since he takes up a roster spot someone will have to be sent down so it's almost a wash IMO. Clearly I think this was one of the attractions (if not the main attraction) for Eaves in that he really doesmt take up cap space. So BM can still not only move Vats for a F with a similar cap hit, he can still add another player as well if I'm reading our cap space correctly.

Yeah, he's only 30%-40% more expensive than a Cramarossa or Shaw.  It just seems to me to be a case where BMGM pays a little more for a veteran forward, and then it allows him to throw in a guy like Cramarossa or Shaw in a Vatanen deal to maybe make it more appealing.  I don't know.

As a deal just by itself, I don't see how he improves them much now (another righty who plays RW) and he's a UFA who will cost them a first rounder this year potentially.

Is he the missing piece?  I guess he could be, it's just hard to see that right now.

You move Vats and Cram for a young forward signed and next season after not signing Eaves you've replaced two forward spots with one for less money and moved an expendable, expensive defensive piece.  Seems like the moves he should be making.  His money is tied up.

#13 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Kase is also expendable and has value after his latest performances. Maybe tampa wants more than just vats for palat. Vats/kase for palat is a fair trade? Bob must be working on another deal. I dont see how he can keeps vats and deadline is when he'll get the most value(in theory).

#14 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

Kase is also expendable and has value after his latest performances. Maybe tampa wants more than just vats for palat. Vats/kase for palat is a fair trade? Bob must be working on another deal. I dont see how he can keeps vats and deadline is when he'll get the most value(in theory).

Palat doesn't have a contract at the end of the season (he'll be RFA), so even Vats straight up for Palat is overpayment.

I'm not sure when Palat can be signed, maybe before July 1?

I would love Palat (as I've been saying for a while now), but Vatanen is enough of a bluechip that I think it would be a big mistake without Palat having a three or four year deal attached.

#15 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

I would feel a lot more comfortable waiving Vatanen around if he wasn't putting up Sean O'Donnell type of numbers while playing Ryan Whitney type of defense. 

#16 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

:burn:

(kinda looks like Vats, doesn't it?)

#17 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, he's only 30%-40% more expensive than a Cramarossa or Shaw.  It just seems to me to be a case where BMGM pays a little more for a veteran forward, and then allows him to throw in a guy like Cramarossa or Shaw in a Vatanen deal to maybe make it more appealing.  I don't know.

As a deal just by itself, I don't see how he improves them much now (another righty who plays RW) and he's a UFA who will cost them a first rounder this year potentially.

Is he the missing piece?  I guess he could be, it's just hard to see that right now.

You move Vats and Cram for a young forward signed and next season after not signing Eaves you've replaced two forward spots with one for less money and moved an expendable, expensive defensive piece.  Seems like the moves he should be making.  His money is tied up.

FWIW, It's reported that Eaves can skate on either wing so although a natural RW he can help us on the LW.

#18 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

We just traded a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old UFA who has never played 82 games in his career, has already played the most games in a season since 10-11, has only scored over 30 points once before in his career... We just traded for Beleskey.

Eaves - .37pts per game over his career

Beleskey - .35pts per game over his career

I just hope this is a precursor to something else, something bigger.

A team hurting for offense and no real forward prospects to speak of, how is Kase expendable? Or do you mean simply in a deal that would land you a talent like Palat, Duchene, etc?

#19 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

Beleskey had a damn fine 2015 playoffs...hopefully Eaves can at least stay hot and follow suit.

#20 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

A team hurting for offense and no real forward prospects to speak of, how is Kase expendable? Or do you mean simply in a deal that would land you a talent like Palat, Duchene, etc?

Yes, expendable to land palat

#21 Always Mighty

Always Mighty

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Palat doesn't have a contract at the end of the season (he'll be RFA), so even Vats straight up for Palat is overpayment.

I'm not sure when Palat can be signed, maybe before July 1?

I would love Palat (as I've been saying for a while now), but Vatanen is enough of a bluechip that I think it would be a big mistake without Palat having a three or four year deal attached.

Palat can be signed to an extension at any time before July 1st since he's in the last year of his deal. I think Tampa hasn't signed him yet because they have several high profile RFA's (Drouin and Johnson) this summer and will have to pick and choose who to keep.

#22 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

Everyone always expects Muray's trades to be a precursor to something else.  They never are. 

#23 ducksalltheway

ducksalltheway

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

Everyone always expects Muray's trades to be a precursor to something else.  They never are. 

When did Murray trade for "top" talent? We are always on the other side of trades like these.

#24 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:48 AM

Eaves seems to be a reasonable rent a player. And I agree with Kariya9 - BM doesn't work the way we hope he does.

#25 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Great beard.

Hope he brings some offense to this group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users