95 replies to this topic

#76 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Feels like a larger deficit than 2-3, but I'm with you I believe they have the ability to come back.

It's probably just the game that has me down tonight but they really look done. Not "done" like they don't care, or "done" like they're getting demolished by a better team, just "done" like they don't have enough left in the tank.

Probably not true, Nashville just played well tonight and shut them down. Just feels like the magic of coming back against the Oilers in game 5, sweeping the Flames, winning a game 7, tieing the Preds with an OT win... all that stuff has run out. Carlyle might have some magic left but I'm not sure.

I really expected a better game with Johansen out, I didn't think the Ducks would lose this game unless they beat themselves again. I guess Rakell and Gibson had to change that. They had a chance to really get that advantage but it just didn't happen. Magic ran out.

#77 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

The better team is ahead in the series.

Whichever team wins the series will be the better team.

If they want to be remembered as the better team - and advance - then win the next game and win the game after that.

#78 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

The better penalty simulators are ahead in the series for sure. Not so sure about the better team. It's only 5 games....

#79 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

The better penalty simulators are ahead in the series for sure. Not so sure about the better team. It's only 5 games....

After 5 games NSH is the better team.  Thankfully it's a 7-game series.

All of the games have been close.  I still have belief.

They need Rakell back, and they need to activate their D more.  Fowler, Montour, Lindholm, Vatanen - those guys can make plays.  They need their help.

And Getzlaf and Kesler need to flip a switch and take over the next two games.

#80 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

I'd play Theodore at forward for game 6.  But I'm insane.

#81 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

They played like a bunch of cocksuckers in the 3rd period.

#82 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Perry could be looking at a suspension for his actions against the ref holding him back at the end of the game.

#83 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Honestly, the end of that game pissed me off somethign awful. Perry acting like an idiot there and then how do we have 6 men ont he ice??? Extra man could be suspended too.

Im osrry, but there is no excuse for that loss. Preds are down their #1 and #2 centers and you cand find it within yourself to do better? You cant find that killer instinct inside and put your foot on their throat? Im not taking anything away from NSH because they beat us, but that team? Seriously? THAT team?

This series should have been over when Johansen was put on ice, but nooooooo, you geniuses have to roll over and play dead. Now NSH is going into game 6 with energy, momentum and a mental edge. 

What a joke.

#84 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

perry may be suspended a game for that. Diangelo got 3 games for same thing during the regular season. Perry will probably get a 1 playoff game suspension.

#85 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Honestly, the end of that game pissed me off somethign awful. Perry acting like an idiot there and then how do we have 6 men ont he ice??? Extra man could be suspended too.

Im osrry, but there is no excuse for that loss. Preds are down their #1 and #2 centers and you cand find it within yourself to do better? You cant find that killer instinct inside and put your foot on their throat? Im not taking anything away from NSH because they beat us, but that team? Seriously? THAT team?

This series should have been over when Johansen was put on ice, but nooooooo, you geniuses have to roll over and play dead. Now NSH is going into game 6 with energy, momentum and a mental edge. 

What a joke.

Exactly what I think. No killer instinct.

I feel a little less strongly due to Rakell and Gibson... but even with those injuries there was no excuse to not take the strangle hold on this series last night. Ducks missed an opportunity that may very well cost them the rest of their season.

#86 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

perry may be suspended a game for that. Diangelo got 3 games for same thing during the regular season. Perry will probably get a 1 playoff game suspension.

Can we call up Sam Steel?

#87 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

What a joke.

Perry screwing with a ref, rather than screwing with their goalie.

That's just s* for brains behavior.

#88 Wigeon

Wigeon

Legend

• Members
  • 8,118 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

I think the Ducks were over confident in that game.

Play, for the first period seemed very nonchalant.

Several chances to score and nothing.

The longer that went on, NSH increased their momentum. 

RGS nailed it with 'no killer instinct'.

#89 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

What a joke.

What momentum? The team that won the prior game is now 0-4 in the series.

Roll over and play dead? Did you watch the game? I was there and the Ducks carried they play for most of the game, but missed the net on too many shots and overall didn't finish their chances. Rinne played very well. The GWG was scored by Nashville because the Ducks had THREE players at the net trying to score.

And I'm tired of hearing about how the Preds were at such a diasdavantage without Johansen. Rakell has as many points and more goals than Johansen and is +13 in the playoffs, yet his absence is a footnote. Give me the Ducks with Rakell and Eaves and I like their chances against the Divers, even with Johansen and zero points Fisher.

#90 Willmark

Willmark

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Odd game, they certainly weren't playing with any sense of urgency.

They have to now, the season now comes down to one game: win it and you fight again in Game 7. Lose it and its a long time till October. We're about to find out how bad they want it or do the Preds want it more.

#91 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

What momentum? The team that won the prior game is now 0-4 in the series.

Roll over and play dead? Did you watch the game? I was there and the Ducks carried they play for most of the game, but missed the net on too many shots and overall didn't finish their chances. Rinne played very well. The GWG was scored by Nashville because the Ducks had THREE players at the net trying to score.

And I'm tired of hearing about how the Preds were at such a diasdavantage without Johansen. Rakell has as many points and more goals than Johansen and is +13 in the playoffs, yet his absence is a footnote. Give me the Ducks with Rakell and Eaves and I like their chances against the Divers, even with Johansen and zero points Fisher.

Sure, the record tells one story but stay with me here for a second. Nashville and the Anaheim are pretty evenly matched. Going into this series Eaves has never been available, so you take him completely out of the picture. Without Eaves, they are pretty evenly matched. With Eaves, Ducks might have a upper hand.

Going into this game Nashville not only loses their #1 centerman, but their #2 centerman and Captain. That a pretty huge blow. Centerman are easily the biggest difference makers ont he ice. They are the playmakers. To be without your top 2? Thats huge.

Yes, we were without Rakell, but compare a winger who has been slid up and down the lineup, to a #1 and #2 centerman? Difference isnt even close.

The Ducks SUCKED int he 3rd period. Again, no killer instinct.

#92 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Sure, the record tells one story but stay with me here for a second. Nashville and the Anaheim are pretty evenly matched. Going into this series Eaves has never been available, so you take him completely out of the picture. Without Eaves, they are pretty evenly matched. With Eaves, Ducks might have a upper hand.

Going into this game Nashville not only loses their #1 centerman, but their #2 centerman and Captain. That a pretty huge blow. Centerman are easily the biggest difference makers ont he ice. They are the playmakers. To be without your top 2? Thats huge.

Yes, we were without Rakell, but compare a winger who has been slid up and down the lineup, to a #1 and #2 centerman? Difference isnt even close.

The Ducks SUCKED int he 3rd period. Again, no killer instinct.

I will agree that the Ducks were awful after they fell behind in the 3rd because they couldn't break the Preds neutral zone trap, and did a poor job letting Rinne get to their dump-ins.

Rakell, however, is no less important to the Ducks as Johansen is to Nashville. Have you forgotten Game 5 of Round 2? And at least according to the "experts" the Ducks were underdogs going into the series without Eaves. Also The Ducks lost Gibson, who has been playing well in this series, and Bernier was outplayed by Rinne.
I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you.

Having said all this, I think too much is made of the losses of one or two players for a game or two in the playoffs. Pronger got suspended twice during the Cup run 10 years ago, but the Ducks won both games as other players stepped up. The same thing happened last night. Aberg scored the winning goal, and Frederick Gaudreau won 10 of 14 face offs. Maybe the Ducks' centers didn't have a book on him...

#93 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

The only positive I can take out of this game is that we do not go up 3-2 in a series, only to blow game 6 and 7.  We have a new set of circumstances to overcome - must win for the next two games.    Sure hope they can do it and add another difficulty overcome to their list.  

BTW, did anyone else see the Stanley Cup Final schedule?  Game one isn't until Monday, May 29.  So at minimum 3 to 4 days of rest between series. 
Game 1: Monday, May 29
Game 2: Wednesday, May 31
Game 3: Saturday, June 3
Game 4: Monday, June 5
Game 5: Thursday, June 8
Game 6: Sunday, June 11
Game 7: Wednesday, June 14

Comparing the schedule of the WCF to this schedule is very annoying. The NHL rushes to start and complete the WCFs two days after the Ducks finish a 7 game series and play every other day the entire series with no 2 day breaks. Then they drag out the Cup Finals with 4, count them, FOUR sets of back to back off days between games. If the Ducks manage to make it to the Finals it will help them potentially get Eaves and or Rakell back,but the NHL couldn't have put together a more difficult schedule for the Ducks in the WCF, which looks ridiculous when compared to other rounds.

#94 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

I will agree that the Ducks were awful after they fell behind in the 3rd because they couldn't break the Preds neutral zone trap, and did a poor job letting Rinne get to their dump-ins.

Rakell, however, is no less important to the Ducks as Johansen is to Nashville. Have you forgotten Game 5 of Round 2? And at least according to the "experts" the Ducks were underdogs going into the series without Eaves. Also The Ducks lost Gibson, who has been playing well in this series, and Bernier was outplayed by Rinne.
I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you.

Having said all this, I think too much is made of the losses of one or two players for a game or two in the playoffs. Pronger got suspended twice during the Cup run 10 years ago, but the Ducks won both games as other players stepped up. The same thing happened last night. Aberg scored the winning goal, and Frederick Gaudreau won 10 of 14 face offs. Maybe the Ducks' centers didn't have a book on him...

I dont know how you are trying to make a point of Rakell vs Johansen off of "Game 5 of Round 2". I never said Rakell wasnt important but if I have to take my pick of trying to replace Getzlaf/Kesler or Rakell, Ill try and replace Rakell every time. Centerman is a much more difficult role to fill. I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you.

And Bernier wasnt nails, but coming in cold and only letting in 2? He gave the team a chance to win, thats all I can ever ask from our goalies, let alone our backup.

And has nothing to do with 'having a book' on these guys. Our guys simply underestimated them. Instead of playing them like they would Johansen, they played them like talentless fill-ins

#95 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Getzlaf is much better than Johansen.

Bernier didn't play poorly, but the Ducks would have had a better chance with Gibson as hot as he as been.

Kesler does have a book on most NHlL centers, and probably shares his knowledge with the other Ducks centers.

The bottom line is that while Saturday's effort wasn't the best from the Ducks, it certainly wasn't "a joke" or "rolling over and playing dead," like Game 7 against the Kings 3 years ago.

#96 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

I dont know how you are trying to make a point of Rakell vs Johansen off of "Game 5 of Round 2". I never said Rakell wasnt important but if I have to take my pick of trying to replace Getzlaf/Kesler or Rakell, Ill try and replace Rakell every time. Centerman is a much more difficult role to fill. I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you.

And Bernier wasnt nails, but coming in cold and only letting in 2? He gave the team a chance to win, thats all I can ever ask from our goalies, let alone our backup.

And has nothing to do with 'having a book' on these guys. Our guys simply underestimated them. Instead of playing them like they would Johansen, they played them like talentless fill-ins

I agree.  And look at it this way.

If the Preds lost Arvidson all series, Forsberg for Games 5 and 6, and Rinne for 2/3rds of Game 5 and all of Game 6 (equivalent to the Ducks without Eaves, Rakell, and Gibson)

And the Ducks lost Getzlaf for Games 5 and 6, Kesler for Games 5 and 6, and Ritchie all series (equivalent to the Preds without Johanson, Fisher, and Fiala)

I still think the Preds win.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Round 3, Game 5, Playoffs, Western Conference Final

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users