141 replies to this topic

#126 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

You rally back after going down 2 goals in the third to tie it.

You get a PP.

You have Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry, Fowler, and Vatanen on the ice when you just completely blow coverage in your end to give up the GWG 4 seconds after the PP expires with 6 minutes left.

You are not the better team.

You are doing it wrong.

Close series, all the games were tight, you won 2 and lost 4.

The path to the Finals was there.  One team took it, the other team couldn't get out of the middle of the road.

#127 Willmark

Willmark

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

^ this pretty much.

#128 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Gibson's fragility....

Gibson plays every single game of the playoffs up until he gets trucked 3-4 times int he previous game. Gets trucked again in game 5 and has to leave. Im not sure I would call that fragile.

#129 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

Once again - for the 5th straight year - they need a win and lose two straight, one at home, one on the road.  They just did it in reverse order this year.

Outside of the CGY series, they just were playing catch-up the entire second and third round.  Regardless of injuries, who was in net, Getzlaf being on fire or cold, Perry scoring or not, Rakell scoring or not, Silfverberg scoring or not, Fowler scoring or not.  Against EDM and NSH they were NEVER in control of either series, and of hardly any games.

Their special teams were terrible, their goal-tending was average.  Probably the two most important aspects of playoff hockey.

They had a great regular season and a good playoff run.  No shame or hanging heads.  Just a reality check regarding their "strength" as a team for us fans who thought we saw some light at the end of the tunnel.  Wrong-O.

And NSH has proven once again that you can finish 8th in your Conference and make the Finals.  The Ducks should be more focused on winning the Western Conference in May and less on winning the Pacific in April.  I don't discount the seeding and the home ice - although, lets be honest, unless it's CGY it DOES NOT have any positive impact on this team - but especially next year with top guys pushing 33, and other top guys being somewhat susceptible to injury, they need more rest during the regular season so they can really push come April-May-and hopefully June.

Gibson plays every single game of the playoffs up until he gets trucked 3-4 times int he previous game. Gets trucked again in game 5 and has to leave. Im not sure I would call that fragile.

Did you forget how many games he missed during the regular season?  That's the knock on him, and it's starting to be warranted.  

If I were John Gibson, the first guy next season that came near my crease I'm taking the two-minute penalty and knocking him the f*** out.  Maybe even worth 5 and a GM, especially if it's some game in October or November.  ESPECIALLY if it's a game against NSH.  And if it's James Neal I'm good with a suspension.

#130 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Did you forget how many games he missed during the regular season?  That's the knock on him, and it's starting to be warranted.  

If I were John Gibson, the first guy next season that came near my crease I'm taking the two-minute penalty and knocking him the f*** out.  Maybe even worth 5 and a GM, especially if it's some game in October or November.  ESPECIALLY if it's a game against NSH.  And it it's James Neal I'm good with a suspension.

No, I didnt forget about the regular season. But lets put all of that into context. How many games did Gibson miss vs Bernier being hot? Yes, Gibson missed some games. THats what you have a backup for. Not many goalies go the whole season without injury of some sort. A few games here and there isnt anything crazy for a goalie. I also dont want my #1 playing much more than 60 games. Gibson plays 52 and was sat behind Bernier while he was hot for at least 8 games, no? And has he, or has he not been getting better and better with injuries each year? Seems to me its partially the way he plays and taking some abuse. I think hes learning in both those areas.

But I do agree. At some point, to protect yourself and to send a clear message, you gotta knock someone out and I would be totally cool with it.

#131 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

^ this pretty much.

The thing that killed me the most about that GWG was that Sissons was AGGRESSIVE and Fowler was PASSIVE.  And guess who came out on top in that exchange?

No, I didnt forget about the regular season. But lets put all of that into context. How many games did Gibson miss vs Bernier being hot? Yes, Gibson missed some games. THats what you have a backup for. Not many goalies go the whole season without injury of some sort. A few games here and there isnt anything crazy for a goalie. I also dont want my #1 playing much more than 60 games. Gibson plays 52 and was sat behind Bernier while he was hot for at least 8 games, no? And has he, or has he not been getting better and better with injuries each year? Seems to me its partially the way he plays and taking some abuse. I think hes learning in both those areas.

But I do agree. At some point, to protect yourself and to send a clear message, you gotta knock someone out and I would be totally cool with it.

I'm all for it.  He doesn't have to go full Hextall or Billy Smith, but, you know, it's hockey.  If they're in your kitchen then f*** 'em up.  Get your money's worth.  Ask Manson for help.  He knows how to take a penalty and make it count.

Just get them questioning whether or not they want to go back in there and risk injury, because that needs to be the message.  You come back and you're gonna get injured.

#132 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

“Personally, I don’t think the better team won tonight but it doesn’t really matter what I think,” said Kesler, who sat at his locker for long minutes with his head buried in a towel before he began to unlace his skates and unpeel the tape that held him and his equipment together. “They got the victory and they move on and we’re going home.”

“It definitely hurts worse when you play that good and you come back and you know this team has shown resiliency all year and to give up a goal like that, it … sucks,” Kesler said.

Carlyle had found ways to compensate for that. He couldn’t compensate for the lack of game-turning, momentum-generating saves from Bernier, who gave up four goals on the 16 shots he faced. “Well, I think that if you look at it, we scored three goals. We should win the hockey game. Simple as that,” Carlyle said. “Playoff hockey. If you score three goals in a game, you should give yourself a pretty good chance for success.”

link

#133 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

“It’s a very frustrating thing for a group when they . . . work as hard as we did all year, and all game for that matter,” Getzlaf said.

But, he added, “we didn’t get the result we needed.”

link

#134 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I certainly hope they don't think their season is over and they did all they could to advance but Bernier let them down.

I don't put a lot of stock in quotes to the media, and I doubt they really do blame Bernier, but the season being over does not rest on Bernier to me. He was bad, but his teammates didn't do enough to be above reproach.

#135 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

I certainly hope they don't think their season is over and they did all they could to advance but Bernier let them down.

I don't put a lot of stock in quotes to the media, and I doubt they really do blame Bernier, but the season being over does not rest on Bernier to me. He was bad, but his teammates didn't do enough to be above reproach.

I dont agree with this. At least not how its stated.

The Ducks didnt lose the SERIES because of Bernier. The Ducks didnt do enough in the SERIES to be above reproach. 

The Ducks did lose the GAME because of Bernier. The Ducks did no enough in the GAME to be above reproach.

Series was lost in Game 5.

#136 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Fowler played like he was already thinking of the best place to go golfing during the GWG. Bernier was probably the biggest reason for that loss though. If you put yourself in the position to be knocked out with 1 bad goalie performance... well you're gonna have a bad time.

I agree the series was lost after Game 5. I have no overall criticisms of a game where you outshoot your opponent 41-16... but the Ducks weren't really playing fast I didn't think. They were just shooting from everywhere, which was awesome but it's not like they skated circles around the Preds.

I stand by the idea they never fully got their legs back under them after Edmonton. They made it to Game 4 against Nashville with their engines running will but they started to run out of gas after that and never really recovered. Just how I saw it.

#137 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

I have no problem saying the ANA just didnt have the gas in their legs or were emotionally drained from the EDM series. I dont think that lets them off the hook either.

Game 6, the better team didnt win. They scored 3 goals against a goalie who was hotter than anyone in the playoffs. Goaltending killed them for 1 game.

Fowler? Fowler scored the game tying goal and was all over the ice. Fowler was fine. The guy who is part of a play on the GWG is always going to get the spotlight though.

#138 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

I have no problem saying the ANA just didnt have the gas in their legs or were emotionally drained from the EDM series. I dont think that lets them off the hook either.

Game 6, the better team didnt win. They scored 3 goals against a goalie who was hotter than anyone in the playoffs. Goaltending killed them for 1 game.

Fowler? Fowler scored the game tying goal and was all over the ice. Fowler was fine. The guy who is part of a play on the GWG is always going to get the spotlight though.

As well he should be. He got manhandled by a guy 1 on 1 who was just killing a penalty for a full shift.

I don't think anyone can argue Rinne didn't steal that game. I agree with the best team won the series even if they weren't the best in Game 6.

None of it is an excuse for me. The refs, the schedule, the injuries. It's part of the picture and is worth discussing for the role those elements may have played but the beauty of a 7 game series is that you don't lose 4 games unless you deserve it.

#139 mransr

mransr

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

A very hot goaltender and even a slightly above average defense are going to a seven game series EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Not saying that formula will win every game, but in a seven game series stealing one or two games is going to be enough, and I think Rinne did that. Plus, Nashville D is better than "slightly above" average.

And as bad as the Ducks PP has been throughout the playoffs I'm surprised they went as far as they did...if I had to point to what cost them a trip to the Finals it would be their horrible power play. You could probably even make an argument that with a better PP they wouldn't have had such a rough time in the earlier rounds and maybe wouldn't have had so many injuries.

#140 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

A very hot goaltender and even a slightly above average defense are going to a seven game series EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Not saying that formula will win every game, but in a seven game series stealing one or two games is going to be enough, and I think Rinne did that. Plus, Nashville D is better than "slightly above" average.

And as bad as the Ducks PP has been throughout the playoffs I'm surprised they went as far as they did...if I had to point to what cost them a trip to the Finals it would be their horrible power play. You could probably even make an argument that with a better PP they wouldn't have had such a rough time in the earlier rounds and maybe wouldn't have had so many injuries.

Really good points.

And it's what the Ducks have not had these last 5 post seasons - hot goaltending and an above average D.  Maybe they can have that next season?  Add one more forward who can find the back of the net, with hopefully Rakell, Silfverberg, and Ritchie progressing, that could be good.

#141 Willmark

Willmark

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

That works but as we saw do we have a netminder who can get has hot as Rinnie did? Or at least sustain it through the post season at crucial times? I don't know about you but there are times when Gibson is back there where it's hold your breath as to the outcome.

Perry and Getzlaf aren't getting any younger either? Crossroads as a team? Maybe.

#142 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

There's certainly a short list of "must haves' in the playoffs, you nailed two big ones.

Reliable D.

Scoring depth.

Great goaltending.

Great special teams.

Dominant stars.

I think you have to get at least a copule of those every night. Ducks didn't. Nashville did.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Round 3, Game 6, Playoffs, Western Conference Final

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users