#1 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

Lets get this party started.

Ducks go into game 1, down 2 players; Fowler and Ritchie. The good thing is Montour and Theodore have been playing some good hockey lately and, well, the Flames cant win in Honda Center.

Gibson should be the game 1 starter. Kase should be the fill in for Ritchie with Vermette and Perry. Dont expect to see too much of Jared Boll in the post-season unless RC wants to send a message.

I expect an extremely chippy series. Fights are not common in the playoffs, but my money is on us seeing one or two before the Ducks take the Flames out in 5.

#2 Dutch Duck

Dutch Duck

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

This is how previous series against Calgary played out:

#3 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Ducks will ride John Gibson, defense to Stanley Cup

The biggest change, and one of the main reasons the Ducks will hoist the Stanley Cup First, comes in goal.

John Gibson, who had an excellent season as the team's No. 1 goalie, and was ably supported by Jonathan Bernier, will be the difference in the postseason.

Moreover, there are few NHL teams that can dominate the faceoff circle the way Anaheim can, with Vermette, a left-hand shot, ably supporting Getzlaf and Kesler, the two right-handed holdovers.

The best thing about the Ducks is that there are no real weaknesses. They have depth at every position in case something unexpected happens.

The Ducks' window of championship opportunity? There may never be a chance like the present to make something good happen in the postseason, and they will.

NHL.com

#4 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

NHL.com

If they do go all the way, there is no doubt in my mind that that will be the reason.

Gibson + stingy defense + FO wins.  It's actually how you win in the playoffs.

Some guy might go on a mini streak and score 8 goals in 14 games, the guys who need to be studs will prove to be, but if they win it will be goaltending, team defense, and FO domination.

#5 Wigeon

Wigeon

Legend

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

I think our 4th line will factor in. 

They won't see much playing time but when they do, they'll make a difference.

#6 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

I think our 4th line will factor in. 
They won't see much playing time but when they do, they'll make a difference.

Nate Thompson is like a certain other 44 in the playoffs. Morphs from effective checker into a force.

#7 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

Game 1, there is already an animosity between the 2 teams, Ducks are already down their best Dman, emotions will be flying high... Do you put Boll in the lineup as a deterrent or do you put Shaw/Wagner on the 4th line?

#8 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Game 1, there is already an animosity between the 2 teams, Ducks are already down their best Dman, emotions will be flying high... Do you put Boll in the lineup as a deterrent or do you put Shaw/Wagner on the 4th line?

Boll isn't an effective enforcer. I think Wagner is actually more intimidating to play against.

#9 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

Boll isn't an effective enforcer. I think Wagner is actually more intimidating to play against.

I will disagree 1000000%

#10 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

All boll would do is get in some staged fight and spin in circles for 2 minutes like a ballerina. Wagner actually hits people.

#11 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

All boll would do is get in some staged fight and spin in circles for 2 minutes like a ballerina. Wagner actually hits people.

You think anything between CGY and ANA would be staged at this point? Im not talking about a "Rile up your troops" fight. THose dont go down in the playoffs. Im talking about actually protecting and enforcing.

If you lose Boll to a broken hand, meh, move on. Wagner does nothing to intimidate. He hits from time to time. Hes not Richite or Manson.

#12 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

That's the thing though. Boll doesn't enforce much. Getzlaf is better at sticking up for guys than he is.

To me, the question is more like "do you play Thornton or Parros?" In the playoffs, the answer is pretty obvious. Even though Thornton was a better grinder than Wagner and Parros was an Infinitely better enforcer than Boll.

#13 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

That's the thing though. Boll doesn't enforce much. Getzlaf is better at sticking up for guys than he is.

To me, the question is more like "do you play Thornton or Parros?" In the playoffs, the answer is pretty obvious. Even though Thornton was a better grinder than Wagner and Parros was an Infinitely better enforcer than Boll.

K, I dont agree with your argument but I dont disagree with not playing Boll. 

I might play him for game 1 just to keep heads level and keep people honest, but that could be the end of the road for him in the postseason unless something really pops off in a series.

#14 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Who needs Boll when we have Manson who can take care of business all by himself with a single upper-cut.

#15 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

I think the thing is this. Randy is not going to play the fourth line very much once eaves and Richie are back. You don't want to take Manson or Wagner out of the lineup to serve the fighting major. Put Boll in and waste him if you need it.

I'm not saying he's going to do it or that he should, just that there's at least an argument for it.

#16 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

I don't think we'll see much of Boll; don't think we'll see much fighting. But I DO expect serious hits from the Ducks in game 1.

#17 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

I think the thing is this. Randy is not going to play the fourth line very much once eaves and Richie are back. You don't want to take Manson or Wagner out of the lineup to serve the fighting major. Put Boll in and waste him if you need it.

I'm not saying he's going to do it or that he should, just that there's at least an argument for it.

Exactly my point. We have other guys who can fight, but int he playoffs, we dont want fighting and taking themselves off the ice for 5 minutes.

Can other guys fight? Yes. Are other guys better at fighting? Sure. Should those other guys be fighting? No.

I don't think we'll see much of Boll; don't think we'll see much fighting. But I DO expect serious hits from the Ducks in game 1.

I think you have the biggest chance for a fight in game 1, which is why I brought up the question. This has turned into a heated rivalry. The teams do not like each other one bit. Last time they met it was pandemonium.

I dont see a case for Boll to play much in the postseason, but game 1 could be it.. Thats all Im saying.

#18 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

We hardly saw Boll at the end of the season, and I agree with you that fighting is going to be minimal. 

#19 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Less Boll, more goal(s)

#20 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members