• Please log in to reply
1138 replies to this topic

#1126 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Curtis Zupke is covering the Kings for the LA Times this year, which is disappointing.   The year they had Lance Pugmire was abysmal.   The guy did not know hockey and definitely not the Ducks and missed a lot of info and/or got it wrong.  Mike Coppinger is the primary story line guy for the Times so far, so try him.

#1127 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

I actually like Mike Pomeranz. Strangely professional for Ducks media.

#1128 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

I actually like Mike Pomeranz. Strangely professional for Ducks media.

Who? The stiff with Guy? 

#1129 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

Who? The stiff with Guy? 

Just the opposite. Guy is the stiff compared to him.

#1130 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Guy has always been vanilla.

#1131 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Guy has always been vanilla.

Stiff vanilla.

#1132 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

French Vanilla... French Canadian anyway.

#1133 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Is that a promotion or demotion? 

Good question.

This article makes me wonder what situation she might be getting into:

ESPN's Sam Ponder calls out sexist history of network's new partner, Barstool Sports

I'm not impressed with Barstool Sports, as characterized by that article. They sound like a group that is aiming to profit off the baser side of mens' interest in partying it up through the guise of sports fandom. Like taking the "tailgating" concept further down the road of hedonism, making pro sports a vehicle (excuse) to "legitimize" base behavior.

Not that I'm a choirboy by any stretch of the imagination, but the stuff that article was getting into looked pretty salacious to me, fueled by booze.

#1134 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

Good question.

This article makes me wonder what situation she might be getting into:

ESPN's Sam Ponder calls out sexist history of network's new partner, Barstool Sports

I'm not impressed with Barstool Sports, as characterized by that article. They sound like a group that is aiming to profit off the baser side of mens' interest in partying it up through the guise of sports fandom. Like taking the "tailgating" concept further down the road of hedonism, making pro sports a vehicle (excuse) to "legitimize" base behavior.

Not that I'm a choirboy by any stretch of the imagination, but the stuff that article was getting into looked pretty salacious to me, fueled by booze.

Harvey would go.

#1135 mransr

mransr

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

if it is true, that isn't great...but how much crediblity does ESPN have at thise point? They seem much more agenda driven than fact driven these day (like pretty much every one in the media).

#1136 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

OK I just did a tiny bit of research on Barstool sports and it's TRASH. The whole thing is TRASH and ESPN should pull the plug. I'm not offended by these guys, I'm embarrassed FOR them. They are like the dips* high school outcast who you allow to come to the party if he buys the beer. "Hey guys lets party right? am I right? here I bought the beer guys".

Trash.

So maybe Mrs Bevo or some other woman on here can tell me if I'm being sexist by this or not:

I think that if Julie Stewart-Binks wants to move from the world of good looking woman who speaks well - into the world of sports broadcaster/journalist she needs to do a couple things.

1) Stop wearing cocktail dresses.

2) Stop wearing stilleto heels.

3) Stop giggle/flirting with the players.

4) Don't go to work for "barstool sports".

Until then she's just another sideline reporter showing a lot of leg. And now she works for a site that promotes blackout parties and jokes that if the chick is passed out it might not be rape? OK Julie.

Now if she doesn't mind being leered at a little and she doesn't mind the "rough and tumble" world of dips* sportsfans who say BOOOYAH after Aaron Judge homeruns they never saw live but did catch on SportCenter, then I'll stay the f*** out of it.

But I honestly think she's pretty, smart, speaks well, knows sports and is clever/charming. I think she could be a play by play "guy" or, well, something more than the "sideline gal". I know she has to make a living so if this is her opportunity to do that, so be it. There probably is NOT any other opportunity for her other than

Oh well, to me this looks like a big demotion. A "I have no other offer" job.

#1137 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Honest question - why did she leave Prime Ticket?

#1138 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Honest question - why did she leave Prime Ticket?

I don't understand her career path very well - she seemed to have a niche with soccer on ESPN or FOX or something. Feeling kinda creepy at this point so I'm done commenting!

#1139 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

I don't think you are being sexist.  What you are doing is make accurate observations - that Stewart-Binks seems to be falling into a stereotypical and archaic role of a woman in the sports world which does nothing to further respect of women as being just as qualified as men to cover the sports world.  

There are ditzy arm-candy females who have no apparent qualifications other than looking attractive, but Stewart-Binks has the knowledge and intellect to do the job and do it well.  Seems a step backward.    You don't have to be "unattractive" to be taken seriously, but it sadly seems to help.   

OK I just did a tiny bit of research on Barstool sports and it's TRASH. The whole thing is TRASH and ESPN should pull the plug. I'm not offended by these guys, I'm embarrassed FOR them. They are like the dips* high school outcast who you allow to come to the party if he buys the beer. "Hey guys lets party right? am I right? here I bought the beer guys".

Trash.

So maybe Mrs Bevo or some other woman on here can tell me if I'm being sexist by this or not:

I think that if Julie Stewart-Binks wants to move from the world of good looking woman who speaks well - into the world of sports broadcaster/journalist she needs to do a couple things.

1) Stop wearing cocktail dresses.

2) Stop wearing stilleto heels.

3) Stop giggle/flirting with the players.

4) Don't go to work for "barstool sports".

Until then she's just another sideline reporter showing a lot of leg. And now she works for a site that promotes blackout parties and jokes that if the chick is passed out it might not be rape? OK Julie.

Now if she doesn't mind being leered at a little and she doesn't mind the "rough and tumble" world of dips* sportsfans who say BOOOYAH after Aaron Judge homeruns they never saw live but did catch on SportCenter, then I'll stay the f*** out of it.

But I honestly think she's pretty, smart, speaks well, knows sports and is clever/charming. I think she could be a play by play "guy" or, well, something more than the "sideline gal". I know she has to make a living so if this is her opportunity to do that, so be it. There probably is NOT any other opportunity for her other than

Oh well, to me this looks like a big demotion. A "I have no other offer" job.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users