Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, no more beer for Gibson.

Honest to God.  Just f*ing brutal.

X2

It looks like the upper body injury was a brain injury.

#27 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

My significant other has always hated Gibson and I'm on her team tonight

Gibson and Manson have just handed BUF their two goals.  Almost handed them 3.  Through two periods.

#28 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,055 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Like DS said, the only way is up from here.

Go Team.

#29 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

With all the injuries and the way the Ducks are playing Id be happy with us being above .500 by the end of this year.

#30 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

With all the injuries and the way the Ducks are playing Id be happy with us being above .500 by the end of this year.

Might be too much to ask for.  Even with Getzlaf, Kesler, AND Eaves in the lineup, their forward depth sucks.  With those guys out, they have 0 impact players.  Rakell, Silfverberg and Ritchie are just invisible.  Perry looks like last season was his new normal.

And, unfortunately, they don't have an impact defenseman.

And Gibson is drunk.

X2

It looks like the upper body injury was a brain injury.

nkjdachvtkv8hcv5kz20.jpg

#31 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Might be too much to ask for.  Even with Getzlaf, Kesler, AND Eaves in the lineup, their forward depth sucks.  With those guys out, they have 0 impact players.  Rakell, Silfverberg and Ritchie are just invisible.  Perry looks like last season was his new normal.

And, unfortunately, they don't have an impact defenseman.

They do have one with Fowler, and he and Manson are doing a helluva job IMHO. They're making what little happens happen. Rakell has 4 pts but he can't play center. Cogs has 6 - and half of those are shorthanded I think? Silf has 1 - HELLO! Perry has 3 and they all came in Game 1. Our 4th line had the most sustained offense tonight. PERRY, Ritchie, Raks, Vermette - you guys gotta STEP IT UP!

Not to mention SILFVERBERG!!!

#32 Dutch Duck

Dutch Duck

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

I watched the first period last night, I was shocked of how awefull it was. It looked like my beerleague team. Turnovers along the boards in our own end. I think this team couldn't even win in the AHL.

#33 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

We seem to be ,somewhat good at short handed goals. Then again, we have been on the PK a lot. I sure hope it gets better from here or it is going to be a long season.

#34 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

Gibson made a dumb play, but he was put in a stupid situation by Manson. IMO Gibson has been great this year and I have NO complaints.

Take the top 2 centers and a first line top wing off any roster and you are gonna struggle. I'm not ready to chip on Rakell and Silverberg yet cause truly they are the only guys anyone has to defend against. I saw someone on twitter or somewhere bitching that Carlyle is an idiot cause he's got Derek Grant out there with the goalie pulled. I don't remember the exact situation but I don't think Carlyle was "jumping" him over a bunch of good players ....

I mean Kesler and Getzlaf? That's the HEART of this team both physically and emotionally. 

Perry I will chip on. The guy is done. I mean not his career over, but he will never again beat a guy one on one, or make a guy look silly, or create something out of nothing. He'll never again hustle to backcheck or make a good defensive play. He'll go out there and skate around to try and get open and score some goals cause of his natural ability but he's a wreck. Do the old "iso" cam on him next game he's absolutely a LIABILITY unless someone on our team has established control of the puck in the O zone. 

The defense is fine and will be a strength here shortly. Move every line down one and we'll be good and eventually put together a 10-2-3 streak or something. But if Eaves doesn't get over being constantly injured and Kesler isn't back til January this whole thing might be over. 

To me, watching the games, thinking about our health and the timing of getting back and giving away points to a bad team at home? It is not looking good at all. 

I wonder if mgmt regrets the Steel/Jones move? Seems like making some 8 minute a night 4th line out of them instead of Jared Boll and co. might be something worthwhile right now.

#35 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Gibson made a dumb play, but he was put in a stupid situation by Manson. IMO Gibson has been great this year and I have NO complaints.

Take the top 2 centers and a first line top wing off any roster and you are gonna struggle. I'm not ready to chip on Rakell and Silverberg yet cause truly they are the only guys anyone has to defend against. I saw someone on twitter or somewhere bitching that Carlyle is an idiot cause he's got Derek Grant out there with the goalie pulled. I don't remember the exact situation but I don't think Carlyle was "jumping" him over a bunch of good players ....

I mean Kesler and Getzlaf? That's the HEART of this team both physically and emotionally. 

Perry I will chip on. The guy is done. I mean not his career over, but he will never again beat a guy one on one, or make a guy look silly, or create something out of nothing. He'll never again hustle to backcheck or make a good defensive play. He'll go out there and skate around to try and get open and score some goals cause of his natural ability but he's a wreck. Do the old "iso" cam on him next game he's absolutely a LIABILITY unless someone on our team has established control of the puck in the O zone. 

The defense is fine and will be a strength here shortly. Move every line down one and we'll be good and eventually put together a 10-2-3 streak or something. But if Eaves doesn't get over being constantly injured and Kesler isn't back til January this whole thing might be over. 

To me, watching the games, thinking about our health and the timing of getting back and giving away points to a bad team at home? It is not looking good at all. 

I wonder if mgmt regrets the Steel/Jones move? Seems like making some 8 minute a night 4th line out of them instead of Jared Boll and co. might be something worthwhile right now.

Agree all around.

Question comes up then.... do you HAVE to make a significant trade in order to keep yourself afloat? 

#36 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

Agree all around.

Question comes up then.... do you HAVE to make a significant trade in order to keep yourself afloat? 

What could you do? I don't think they will and I don't think they should ... like the ONLY move I can see would be for a SOLID center ... someone better than Vermette or Rakell and that is gonna cost us a damn fortune and it'd just be to "stay in it"? 

Gotta hope Getz and Eaves can be healthy. If they are we'll hang in there IMO. If they are in and out of the line up there isn't a trade that can fix that IMO.

#37 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

I've never been more thankful for a 4 day break.

#38 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

What could you do? I don't think they will and I don't think they should ... like the ONLY move I can see would be for a SOLID center ... someone better than Vermette or Rakell and that is gonna cost us a damn fortune and it'd just be to "stay in it"? 

Gotta hope Getz and Eaves can be healthy. If they are we'll hang in there IMO. If they are in and out of the line up there isn't a trade that can fix that IMO.

I think you can. Its a dead horse but bring Douchene in and you can help yourself significantly. It helps keep your head above water while dealing with injuries and then makes you a ton stronger once you are healthy. Douchene is also a guy you can bounce from center to LW once Getzlaf and Kesler are back.

#39 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

I think you can. Its a dead horse but bring Douchene in and you can help yourself significantly. It helps keep your head above water while dealing with injuries and then makes you a ton stronger once you are healthy. Douchene is also a guy you can bounce from center to LW once Getzlaf and Kesler are back.

I don't know if putting Duchene in last nights lineup makes enough of a difference. I know we only lost by 1 really, but to me we just got outplayed most of the game, or at best played even with them in the 2nd and 3rd. This is at home vs a crappy team. It would help, but what's the cost? 

Duchene clearly couldn't make last years CRAP Av's team decent, I don't know if he can make our current roster decent.

I mean if you can find a way to get him here and keep our core 4 young Dmen and just give up prospects/picks ... GREAT because Duchene is indeed THE guy we need to be Getz and/or Kesler for the next 5 years. I mean it is apparent that when Getz and Kesler are done, our goose is totally cooked at Center right now. A 26 year old premier center ...

HELL I talked myself into it. Break the bank. Get him. He'll help us RIGHT NOW when we need it and for sure the next 5 years.

#40 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

HELL I talked myself into it. Break the bank. Get him. He'll help us RIGHT NOW when we need it and for sure the next 5 years.

I like arguments where you change your own mind. fun.

And this is pretty much where I am at right now. We are a s*show and that is partly because we have zero consistency with our lineup on any given night. Douchene adds talent and consistency to our top 6 and when this squad is healthy, he adds depth at both center and wing. Then you look forward 3-4-5 years and he makes a HUGE difference in how this team looks. And sorry, but this is Eaves. Is he in or out? Is it 2 games or 12?

I know everyone wants a guy like him and there are a few teams who need him. We are at the top of that list.

Vatanen and any prospect they want plus some significant picks. our top 4 on D are set with Montour, lindholm, fowler and Manson.

#41 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

I like arguments where you change your own mind. fun.

And this is pretty much where I am at right now. We are a s*show and that is partly because we have zero consistency with our lineup on any given night. Douchene adds talent and consistency to our top 6 and when this squad is healthy, he adds depth at both center and wing. Then you look forward 3-4-5 years and he makes a HUGE difference in how this team looks. And sorry, but this is Eaves. Is he in or out? Is it 2 games or 12?

I know everyone wants a guy like him and there are a few teams who need him. We are at the top of that list.

Vatanen and any prospect they want plus some significant picks. our top 4 on D are set with Montour, lindholm, fowler and Manson.

As much as I would love Duchene, I just still don't see Murray doing it.  It's way too high risk for him. 

#42 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

As much as I would love Duchene, I just still don't see Murray doing it.  It's way too high risk for him. 

Thats fine, and I agree with you. Its not a typical Murray deal, but its the kind of deal he has to make otherwise I dont think we have a shot this year and were not looking too hot going forward either.

#43 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

I honestly think that unless Murray does something HUGE (e.g. trade for Duchene or Tavares) it may be time to rebuild in the offseason.

#44 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

I honestly think that unless Murray does something HUGE (e.g. trade for Duchene or Tavares) it may be time to rebuild in the offseason.

Yeah, I would not give up on us though. Just getting any sort of PP production at all would change everything for us. I don't think we are THIS bad.

The Eaves thing is a total joke though. I mean I'm sure he's a tough guy and it's all just bad luck but now it's OUR bad luck.

My look at a pick up of Duchene is not so much for this year. It's for the next 4 or 5 years as RGS says. We can't build around Getz and Kesler (and for sure not Perry) any more and WE ALL SEE WHAT THIS TEAM LOOKS LIKE WITHOUT GETZ AND KESLER IN THE LINE UP. Rakell sure as hell does not look like an answer at C so I mean Duchene is the PERFECT fit.

GET HIM.

#45 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Im not ready to throw in the towel to that extent. We still have some guys like Getz and Kesler who are extremely valuable and difficult to move due to contracts. We need to win with them, not give up. Maybe we need a GM who has the balls to make that kind of trade.

Yeah, I would not give up on us though. Just getting any sort of PP production at all would change everything for us. I don't think we are THIS bad.

The Eaves thing is a total joke though. I mean I'm sure he's a tough guy and it's all just bad luck but now it's OUR bad luck.

I dont think were THIS bad either, but were also not good. And maybe thats different witha  healthy Getzlaf and Eaves and Kesler and Lindholm and Vatanen, but we also cant just wait around and see if thats true otherwise you put yourself in a hole you cant get out of. And I dont think its something as simple as "Fix the PP". The team is a mess.

Ive always said, I like Eaves. I like who he is when healthy and seems like a tough SOB who just breaks easy. He can be the nicest guy witht he most talent, but if you cant stay healthy, what good are you?

#46 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,055 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Tavares would be tits.

Now that's a premier center.

#47 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

That was one of the sloppiest games I've every witnessed.  Neither team looked like an NHL caliber team to me.  Something needs to be done.  I'm all for the Duchene move, but Colorado has a say in that; not just Bob.

I like Eaves and sure as hell hope he can pull off the rest of the year without getting hurt again.  Unfortunately, I think the same thing can be said for Gibson.  He can be elite, if he can stay healthy, but like Eaves, I think he's made out of glass.  Of course we have Miller to bail us out in that situation, but wait, he's hurt too.

#48 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

No I don't think we are this bad either. Our bottom 6 is a joke right now. And our supposed top guys who are in the lineup are ice cold. But even with our healthy guys, we got a shallow lineup for years to come.

#49 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

As most here know, I've been beating the Duchene drum for a while now; and doing so because it would be a good move to make even when we're healthy. And I agree with LGD that we don't make any moves that are just stop-gap for this temporary injury dump. That said, don't expect that we can keep Duchene past the end of his existing contract. We won't be able to afford what he can get in free agency after next season. It's still a good trade to make for this season and next in that it makes us more competitive, and would help a LOT if it could be done now.

If we get him, win the Cup and the cap goes up, maybe we can keep him after next year. But realistically, we need young cheap help to get us beyond that point. By then Raks should be fully established and Jones and Steel should be showing what they can do.

#50 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

Im not ready to throw in the towel to that extent. We still have some guys like Getz and Kesler who are extremely valuable and difficult to move due to contracts. We need to win with them, not give up. Maybe we need a GM who has the balls to make that kind of trade.

I dont think were THIS bad either, but were also not good. And maybe thats different witha  healthy Getzlaf and Eaves and Kesler and Lindholm and Vatanen, but we also cant just wait around and see if thats true otherwise you put yourself in a hole you cant get out of. And I dont think its something as simple as "Fix the PP". The team is a mess.

Ive always said, I like Eaves. I like who he is when healthy and seems like a tough SOB who just breaks easy. He can be the nicest guy witht he most talent, but if you cant stay healthy, what good are you?

I agree on Eaves, but only remind you that this team you think at full strength is not that good got to the final 4 last year. I mean, healthy, this team was great last year - no one can convince me 100 and some points, winning the Pacific and getting final 4 isn't a top tier performance. 

Not saying it's going to happen again, but not saying it won't (nor am I waiting around for it - I mean Getz/Kesler at the same time highlights the need for very strong top 6 centers and we got NONE without them).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users