65 replies to this topic

#51 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

As most here know, I've been beating the Duchene drum for a while now; and doing so because it would be a good move to make even when we're healthy. And I agree with LGD that we don't make any moves that are just stop-gap for this temporary injury dump. That said, don't expect that we can keep Duchene past the end of his existing contract. We won't be able to afford what he can get in free agency after next season. It's still a good trade to make for this season and next in that it makes us more competitive, and would help a LOT if it could be done now.

If we get him, win the Cup and the cap goes up, maybe we can keep him after next year. But realistically, we need young cheap help to get us beyond that point. By then Raks should be fully established and Jones and Steel should be showing what they can do.

God damn you just had to rain on our parade? This is where Kesler/Getz/Perry just kills us. 3 more years on each at full value, then they start dipping down. Getz/Perry/Kesler 3 years from now eating up 20 million? The cap better go up A LOT.

#52 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

As most here know, I've been beating the Duchene drum for a while now; and doing so because it would be a good move to make even when we're healthy. And I agree with LGD that we don't make any moves that are just stop-gap for this temporary injury dump. That said, don't expect that we can keep Duchene past the end of his existing contract. We won't be able to afford what he can get in free agency after next season. It's still a good trade to make for this season and next in that it makes us more competitive, and would help a LOT if it could be done now.

If we get him, win the Cup and the cap goes up, maybe we can keep him after next year. But realistically, we need young cheap help to get us beyond that point. By then Raks should be fully established and Jones and Steel should be showing what they can do.

I wouldnt be so sure we couldnt keep him. Think about who we would trade and contracts that would be gone by the time his contract came around.... Ill move this convo to the trade thread.

I agree on Eaves, but only remind you that this team you think at full strength is not that good got to the final 4 last year. I mean, healthy, this team was great last year - no one can convince me 100 and some points, winning the Pacific and getting final 4 isn't a top tier performance. 

Not saying it's going to happen again, but not saying it won't (nor am I waiting around for it - I mean Getz/Kesler at the same time highlights the need for very strong top 6 centers and we got NONE without them).

I think they are not that good when compared to other playoff teams this season, at full strength. Probably middle of the pack. They also surprised me last year, so there is that.

#53 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

I watched the first period last night, I was shocked of how awefull it was. It looked like my beerleague team. Turnovers along the boards in our own end. I think this team couldn't even win in the AHL.

"Beer league" is the term that comes to my mind as well when watching them this season.

#54 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

I'm really disappointed in Rakell and Silfverberg.  I was hoping that they were ready to become more than complimentary players.  Pretty invisible.  Rakell racked up big points on a line centered by who, again?  Oh yeah, that guy who makes everyone who plays with him better.

Don't even get me started on Ritchie.

This is a hard league.  Takes a LOT of talent and a LOT of effort to be a standout.

Still early, of course.  I'm just not liking the early returns.

I mean, six games in and how many of those games have been against s*ty (albeit still NHL) teams?  5? And 5 of 6 at home.

#55 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

I think they are not that good when compared to other playoff teams this season, at full strength. Probably middle of the pack. They also surprised me last year, so there is that.

Yeah but 82 games and into the 3rd round of the playoffs. That's REAL as they say. And it's the same line up, or even better. If healthy. Yikes.

I'm really disappointed in Rakell and Silfverberg.  I was hoping that they were ready to become more than complimentary players.  Pretty invisible.  Rakell racked up big points on a line centered by who, again?  Oh yeah, that guy who makes everyone who plays with him better.

Don't even get me started on Ritchie.

This is a hard league.  Takes a LOT of talent and a LOT of effort to be a standout.

Still early, of course.  I'm just not liking the early returns.

I mean, six games in and how many of those games have been against s*ty (albeit still NHL) teams?  5? And 5 of 6 at home.

Richie looks AWFUL as does Silvferberg. As does Vermette. As does Perry. Hell almost everyone but maybe Montour and Fowler. 

It's an awful slump and you start looking at guys and getting pissed. At least I do. SIlvferberg didn't forget how to be a puck hound. Richie didn't forget to be a pain in everyone's ass. It's just that you (*I*, I guess) are watching all pissed off at them.

But, to go back to the WE ARE DOOMED feeling I have, we are just getting OWNED even strength vs at best mediocre teams and WE are the home team.

It's not good.

#56 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yeah but 82 games and into the 3rd round of the playoffs. That's REAL as they say. And it's the same line up, or even better. If healthy. Yikes.

Richie looks AWFUL as does Silvferberg. As does Vermette. As does Perry. Hell almost everyone but maybe Montour and Fowler. 

It's an awful slump and you start looking at guys and getting pissed. At least I do. SIlvferberg didn't forget how to be a puck hound. Richie didn't forget to be a pain in everyone's ass. It's just that you (*I*, I guess) are watching all pissed off at them.

But, to go back to the WE ARE DOOMED feeling I have, we are just getting OWNED even strength vs at best mediocre teams and WE are the home team.

It's not good.

It sure doesn't seem good right now.  They suck.  I have no idea how they won two games.  They should have lost opening night, but AZ is just as sucky.  Better to be lucky than sucky.

#57 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

Problem is though, we are the same and other teams got better. We also saw what happened as soon as Eaves went out. Cant be trusted.

#58 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Right now, if I had to choose, I'd say this team is going to find itself on the outside looking in come first week of April.

#59 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

Right now, if I had to choose, I'd say this team is going to find itself on the outside looking in come first week of April.

Thankfully, we don't have to choose now; we have a lot of games left to straighten this out. We're missing more than half of the key players that got is to the WCF - but they'll be BACK! The guys who ARE here aren't used to playing with each other, and it looks like a big cluster*** out there. Those guys are going to have to work extra hard to get it together. There is no trade or magic move that can fix this right away. It'll take hard work and concentration. I am still confident that when we're all together again, this team will be HARD TO BEAT! In the meantime, they have to really focus in order to keep from getting into that deep hole everyone is worried about.

Let's get it together guys!  GO DUCKS!!

#60 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thankfully, we don't have to choose now; we have a lot of games left to straighten this out. We're missing more than half of the key players that got is to the WCF - but they'll be BACK! The guys who ARE here aren't used to playing with each other, and it looks like a big cluster*** out there. Those guys are going to have to work extra hard to get it together. There is no trade or magic move that can fix this right away. It'll take hard work and concentration. I am still confident that when we're all together again, this team will be HARD TO BEAT! In the meantime, they have to really focus in order to keep from getting into that deep hole everyone is worried about.

Let's get it together guys!  GO DUCKS!!

Whoa, talk about glass half full. Your cup overruneth. I think there is too much doom and gloom going on here in reaction to a crap start and a litany of injuries, but this might be too far the other way.

Perry and Eaves are legit concerns. Our PP is a legit concern.

I dont think we have a problem with guys not knowing who they are playing with, as much as guys being put into roles they arent either suited for or accustomed to. 

This team is better than how theyve played so far. They will be better when healthy. They will be better when guys are able to go back to being complimentary players and not the core. How much better remains to be the question.

#61 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Whoa, talk about glass half full. Your cup overruneth. I think there is too much doom and gloom going on here in reaction to a crap start and a litany of injuries, but this might be too far the other way.

Perry and Eaves are legit concerns. Our PP is a legit concern.

I dont think we have a problem with guys not knowing who they are playing with, as much as guys being put into roles they arent either suited for or accustomed to. 

This team is better than how theyve played so far. They will be better when healthy. They will be better when guys are able to go back to being complimentary players and not the core. How much better remains to be the question.

I'm with JLL on this one. We'll make a run. Might be a short one, might be an unconvincing one, but at some point we will get our feet underneath us and start playing better. 

I don't have any doubt in my mind that if RC gets this team back anywhere near 100% on the health issue, it's a playoff team EASY and a good match for anyone in the playoffs. 

#62 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'm with JLL on this one. We'll make a run. Might be a short one, might be an unconvincing one, but at some point we will get our feet underneath us and start playing better. 

I don't have any doubt in my mind that if RC gets this team back anywhere near 100% on the health issue, it's a playoff team EASY and a good match for anyone in the playoffs. 

I'd bet they make a run.  I'd also bet that doesn't happen in 2017.

#63 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

I'd bet they make a run.  I'd also bet that doesn't happen in 2017.

Of course not; it'll be Apr - Jun 2018!

#64 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

Of course not; it'll be Apr - Jun 2018!

Like I said earlier:  Wake me up when the band is back together!

#65 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 26,055 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

pftcommenter-pftcommenter-following-were

#66 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

Gibson made a dumb play, but he was put in a stupid situation by Manson. IMO Gibson has been great this year and I have NO complaints.

The first goal of the game was a f*ing joke.  And the joke was on John Gibson.

That being said, when Chris Wagner scores your only goal of the game, and your leader for the season on the stat sheet is Andrew Cogliano, you are truly f*d.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users