99 replies to this topic

#1 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Bravo and congrats to the Ducks for finally beating their game 7 demons. That should do wonders for this club going into the Conference Finals.

Nashville is probably playing better than anyone in the postseason, so this is going to be a tough matchup for a Ducks team who are going to be at a disadvantage if Eaves cant go.

The way I see this matchup, on paper, Im not overly confident. I think Nashville has more scoring depth than Anaheim, and with Eaves potentially out, it only make it worse. They have 2 of the best D men in the league in Subban and Josi, not to mention Ellis is playing like a Conn Smythe candidate and Ekholm is beasting out. Their blueline could spell problems for Anaheim.

Rinne is a magic man when it comes to playing the puck, so the Ducks are going to have to account for that in their game plan.

All of that said, Anaheim isnt DOA. Getzlaf is playing as good as, if not better than, anyone else right now. Perry is showing glimpses of his old self. Rakell is sniping. Ritchie got on the board and it playing very physical. And although Kelser hasnt been himself, that line is still extremely dangerous.

We are going to need some guy to step up big time. Vermette has to be better. Our young guys have to take it up another notch and knock off the silly rookie s* like Theodore trying to do too much and take the puck in front of his own net.

#2 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

I see the Ducks as the underdogs here.

I know I'm not being very wise or anything when I say they won't get through this series playing as sloppy as they did at times against the Alberta teams. I don't see a 3 goal third period comeback against the Preds (forget about 3 minutes!). I don't see the Preds gifting us power plays. I don't see a young team the Ducks can take advantage of.

What I do see is a team the Ducks can beat but it's going to take 6 or 7 games of the quality we saw last night. Tall order but I'm excited, should be a good series!

#3 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'm just going to enjoy every minute.  We won a game 7!!!

#4 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

I know Im being super negative but here is how I see it...

Nashville can win this series in 4, 5, 6 or 7 games

Anaheim can win it in 6 or 7

This is going to be a battle of 2 very experienced teams, with a little youth sprinkled in.

#5 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

I know Im being super negative but here is how I see it...

Nashville can win this series in 4, 5, 6 or 7 games

Anaheim can win it in 6 or 7

This is going to be a battle of 2 very experienced teams, with a little youth sprinkled in.

So one of the strengths Nashville has is that they get SO much offense from their defensemen.  We CANNOT just collapse on them.  It worked well against EDM, but this is a different breed.  Our wingers need to be on Subban, Josi and Ellis like flies on meat. 

Kesler won't have his hands as full with shutdown duties.  Johansson is good, but not legendary.  His offense should reignite a bit. 

I'd like to keep Ritchie-Getzlaf-Perry together for a while.  They looked good.  Rakell can create chances on his own on the 3rd line. 

As I've already said, special teams MUST improve.  Hard to believe we are in the Conference final with a PK under 70%.  That's nearly unheard of.  And Gibson, live every day like yesterday.

#6 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Yeah special teams is going to play a HUGE part int his series. Anaheim HAS to be better on the PK.

With no Eaves, I agree, Id like to see Ritchie start the series on the 1st line. Rakell can hopefully get Vermette going a bit.

I also dont think this is a series for Boll. But then again, I didnt think last series was either, sow hat do I know.

#7 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Yeah special teams is going to play a HUGE part int his series. Anaheim HAS to be better on the PK.

With no Eaves, I agree, Id like to see Ritchie start the series on the 1st line. Rakell can hopefully get Vermette going a bit.

I also dont think this is a series for Boll. But then again, I didnt think last series was either, sow hat do I know.

We just need to pressure the blueline on the opponent's entries.  That's how we had such a good PK in the regular season.

Also, Rakell and Kase showing some chemistry.

We might not have any other choice than to play Boll and after last game, why the hell not?

#8 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

I think this is a winnable series, although it is the one that I feared the most from the start of the playoffs.  I would honestly feel more comfortable going against Chicago.  On the plus side, no Draisaitl (or however it is spelled).  Rinne is damn good, but Talbot was a force in the last series.  If we can beat Talbot, we can beat Rinne.  Gibson will need to match and our D will need to be stellar.  If this happens, Getzlaf continues to play like he did in the last series, and Perry continues to improve... I like our chances.

Oh, and we cannot afford ANY more injuries; especially on the blue-line.  If an injury must occur, let's have it impact the Preds.

#9 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Keys to this series against NSH:

1. Get to Rinne early and for the sake of all that has intelligence, don't make it easy for him to play the puck. Don't let it get to the trapezoid if possible. And if more possible, tempt him to come out of net to try and play slow moving pucks. He gets himself in trouble doing that. The hard ones he handles like a 3rd defenseman. Prevent him from being a 3rd defenseman.

2. Don't react to NSH's diving. They are going to be even worse with that big swan, PK Subban. Getzlaf especially has to not let himself get distracted by it. He hates diving worse than anything on earth, but he's going to have to ignore it. This has been a big problem for him in the past two playoff series. I hope he's learned from it.

3.They are a counterpunch team, so make your punches count.

4. John Gibson being at his best, on as CONSISTENT basis.

5. Smear the Beard: punish Ryan Ellis physically. And the rest of their d-men, too. This relates back to #1 above. Because Rinne is so good at playing deep pucks, their d-men don't get punished as much. They don't worry about getting back deep all that much because of that 3rd defenseman. Eliminate that 3rd defenseman.

#10 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

One good omen we have going for us... 10 year ago we played int he Cup Finals. 10 yers ago our opponent was the Sens. The Sens are still in the playoffs. Coincidence? probably

#11 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

Keys to this series against NSH:

1. Get to Rinne early and for the sake of all that has intelligence, don't make it easy for him to play the puck. Don't let it get to the trapezoid if possible. And if more possible, tempt him to come out of net to try and play slow moving pucks. He gets himself in trouble doing that. The hard ones he handles like a 3rd defenseman. Prevent him from being a 3rd defenseman.

2. Don't react to NSH's diving. They are going to be even worse with that big swan, PK Subban. Getzlaf especially has to not let himself get distracted by it. He hates diving worse than anything on earth, but he's going to have to ignore it. This has been a big problem for him in the past two playoff series. I hope he's learned from it.

3.They are a counterpunch team, so make your punches count.

4. John Gibson being at his best, on as CONSISTENT basis.

5. Smear the Beard: punish Ryan Ellis physically. And the rest of their d-men, too. This relates back to #1 above. Because Rinne is so good at playing deep pucks, their d-men don't get punished as much. They don't worry about getting back deep all that much because of that 3rd defenseman. Eliminate that 3rd defenseman.

The league has fined Subban for diving twice now.  Hopefully that'll keep up and Getzlaf won't even have to worry about it.

#12 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

The league has fined Subban for diving twice now.  Hopefully that'll keep up and Getzlaf won't even have to worry about it.

Ill take getting fined $2k when im making $110k per game

#13 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

Ill take getting fined $2k when im making $110k per game

I think the idea is that the humiliation is supposed to be worse punishment.  But Subban, that dude is shameless. 

#14 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

I think the idea is that the humiliation is supposed to be worse punishment.  But Subban, that dude is shameless. 

"arent you humiliated that you were caught diving in that game you guys won because you dove?"

#15 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Obviously Nashville is playing very good in their first two series, but I'm not counting us out by any stretch. We won more games in the regular season, we've won more in the playoffs. We scored more goals than them in the playoffs and we had a much higher goal differential than them in the regular season. Rinne has been hot. If he carries .951 through our series, we are done. So would anyone. But if he returns to regular season reality WHERE GIBSON HAS THE BETTER SAVE PCTG, we win the thing.

Not worried. Think it'll be another roller coaster.

#16 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

Old good goalies who really want Stanley Cups are always scary. 

Obviously Nashville is playing very good in their first two series, but I'm not counting us out by any stretch. We won more games in the regular season, we've won more in the playoffs. We scored more goals than them in the playoffs and we had a much higher goal differential than them in the regular season. Rinne has been hot. If he carries .951 through our series, we are done. So would anyone. But if he returns to regular season reality WHERE GIBSON HAS THE BETTER SAVE PCTG, we win the thing.

#17 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Lgd.com with the optimism! This surely has been a playoff filled with streak breaking!

#18 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,581 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

100%

And remember, the only people who get hurt on a roller coaster are the ones who jump off!

Old good goalies who really want Stanley Cups are always scary. 

You know what else is really scary?  As a defenseman?

A relentless, physical forecheck from a heavy team.  Don't ask CHI or STL about it, because they don't know.

#19 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

This is going to be a tough series, but I think the Ducks are up for it and will make a good series out of it.  Anything can happen......

I'll be there at game 1 cheering them on. 

#20 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

100%

And remember, the only people who get hurt on a roller coaster are the ones who jump off!

You know what else is really scary?  As a defenseman?

A relentless, physical forecheck from a heavy team.  Don't ask CHI or STL about it, because they don't know.

Getzlaf, Perry, Ritchie, Rakell, Thompson, Wagner, Kesler... ATTACK!

This is going to be a tough series, but I think the Ducks are up for it and will make a good series out of it.  Anything can happen......

I'll be there at game 1 cheering them on. 

Me too!

#21 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,581 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Getzlaf, Perry, Ritchie, Rakell, Thompson, Wagner, Kesler... ATTACK!

Me too!

Silfverberg, Cogliano, Vermette - all those guys play the body.  They aren't all big hitters or big dudes, but they all hit.

It is such a HCRC team.  He loves the boardwork.

#22 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

I just see this series as being much more of a defensive series between both teams (as opposed to the EDM series) with typical final scores of 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 etc. I think that helps ANA a bit vs. the more offensive/speed game of EDM that they had to contend with. It should be more to ANA's pace.

That being said, I see this series going 6-7 games (even though I completly missed the mark thinking that the EDM series would only go 5-6 games).

#23 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

I just see this series as being much more of a defensive series between both teams (as opposed to the EDM series) with typical final scores of 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 etc. I think that helps ANA a bit vs. the more offensive/speed game of EDM that they had to contend with. It should be more to ANA's pace.

That being said, I see this series going 6-7 games (even though I completly missed the mark thinking that the EDM series would only go 5-6 games).

I don't see how this could possibly go any less than 6.  This series will be a war.

#24 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,581 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

I hate James Neal.  Have I ever mentioned that?

Dirty, cheap, gutless Stephen Colbert-holster.

If it's a war, I hope he is KIA.

#25 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

I hate James Neal.  Have I ever mentioned that?

Dirty, cheap, gutless Stephen Colbert-holster.

If it's a war, I hope he is KIA.

James meet Hampus, Hampus, James.  James, ever hear of a guillotine?

C-jnL-sVwAA2tLC.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users