196 replies to this topic

#176 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:27 PM

Boy Penner casts a big shadow here. We keep bringing him up year after year, but he was more of a bust than anything else in the end, as far as potential goes,

Essentially, his biggest contribution was to the frustration level of everyone.

Because we saw what he could be. We saw the potential he had and we saw what a terror he could be when he was on his game.

Maybe Lucic is a better example, but Lucic has more God given talent I think than either Penner or Ritchie possess  

#177 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

On the physical side of the game, Penner played like he was 5'6" even at his best.

#178 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

On the physical side of the game, Penner played like he was 5'6" even at his best.

And on the mental side, he was a midget.

#179 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,329 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Carlyle met with Ritchie last June to map out a plan for his growth, almost literally, and Ritchie got leaner in preparation for his first full NHL season.

“It was just something I focused on to make myself better as a player,” Ritchie said. “I didn’t do anything crazy. I just focused on it and had a good summer training and ate healthy. And I think it’s helped out a lot.”

Ritchie already honed his shot, which television broadcasters likened to that of former Toronto Maple Leafs forward Wendel Clark. Gibson can attest to it through practice against his teammate.

“Sometimes it hurts,” Gibson said. “Yeah, he’s got a good shot. Not only is it accurate, but it’s pretty heavy. You guys might not be able to tell, but from my standpoint, experiencing it, it’s pretty heavy.”

link

#180 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

57890445.jpg

#181 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

A very encouraging playoffs for Richie. Shocked he's still just 21. He's hardly erased my early bitching about him, but he's shown some signs here. Good and bad you know, with the penalties, but overall he is starting to get it ... to keep up with the play better. And he's also like a little puppy that just figured out he's stronger than everyone. He LOVES being around the hitting and standing there during the post whistle stuff. 

#182 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

A very encouraging playoffs for Richie. Shocked he's still just 21. He's hardly erased my early bitching about him, but he's shown some signs here. Good and bad you know, with the penalties, but overall he is starting to get it ... to keep up with the play better. And he's also like a little puppy that just figured out he's stronger than everyone. He LOVES being around the hitting and standing there during the post whistle stuff. 

Talented but stupid.

#183 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Talented but stupid. careless

#184 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

After watching the video posted on the other Ducks message board of the play that injured Rakell, I can understand the anger he had at the end of Game 5. Neal was a dirty piece of **** for deliberately sticking his foot out to trip and injure Rakell. I only wish Ritchie had been pounding the crap out of Neal instead of Ekholm.

#185 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Talented but stupid. careless

Nah he seems perty dumb.

#186 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Talented but stupid. careless stupid.

Fixed and updated it for you.

#187 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

He left his initial on that Predator player... kind of like zoro.

#188 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

He left his initial on that Predator player... kind of like zoro.

That was a good call by Roenick.

I hate how often I've been saying that this post season!

#189 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

I still dont think that play was "dumb" by Ritchie, but Im open to the possibility that Im wrong. I see a hit that if happened a half second sooner, could be a totally different call. He's playing with emotion, might not make the right calculation or call, and finishes a big hit. I think he was trying to give his team some life... and honestly, in a way, he did. Not the way he was hoping probably, but the teams kills off a 5 minute major and just looked better after that.

#190 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

I still dont think that play was "dumb" by Ritchie, but Im open to the possibility that Im wrong. I see a hit that if happened a half second sooner, could be a totally different call. He's playing with emotion, might not make the right calculation or call, and finishes a big hit. I think he was trying to give his team some life... and honestly, in a way, he did. Not the way he was hoping probably, but the teams kills off a 5 minute major and just looked better after that.

I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty but when I looked at it again a couple of times the NSH player had his shoulder perpendicular to the boards as Ritchie goes for the hit but he was also turning his body / torso quickly towards the glass. In a split second the NSH player went from being a legal hit to an illegal hit. S**t like that happens.

#191 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

With Ritchie's history I'm less likely to give him leniency. Not a dirty history by any means, just the tendency to at times do dumb stuff. Low hockey IQ.

#192 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty but when I looked at it again a couple of times the NSH player had his shoulder perpendicular to the boards as Ritchie goes for the hit but he was also turning his body / torso quickly towards the glass. In a split second the NSH player went from being a legal hit to an illegal hit. S**t like that happens.

Thats why I say he is careless, not dumb.

#193 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

I'd rather have his size and skill and have to tone down the "dummy" then have to inspire some Dustin Penner to play hard.

#194 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

I'd rather have his size and skill and have to tone down the "dummy" then have to inspire some Dustin Penner to play hard.

Exactly.

It's so much easier to reign someone in with a rope per se (Ritchie) than the opposite which is like pushing on a string (Penner).

#195 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

This guy took a step forward this season.

He needs to take another step forward next season.  This roster is DESPERATE for LH scoring forwards.  EXTREMELY DESPERATE.

As in they have only him.

#196 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

This guy took a step forward this season.

He needs to take another step forward next season.  This roster is DESPERATE for LH scoring forwards.  EXTREMELY DESPERATE.

As in they have only him.

Yeah, I am by no means convinced he's the deal now, but I like him 1000 times better than even a month ago. The fact that he's just a big dopey kid at this point, is actually encouraging. I have a reasonable amount of hope this guy will be 20 goals and and edge, at least, in the future. 

#197 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, I am by no means convinced he's the deal now, but I like him 1000 times better than even a month ago. The fact that he's just a big dopey kid at this point, is actually encouraging. I have a reasonable amount of hope this guy will be 20 goals and and edge, at least, in the future. 

He lost weight and got a little faster last off-season.  He needs to work that same routine this summer, and work his ass off.  Less fat, more muscle.  More foot speed.

He already has the shot and the demeanor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users