DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

For anyone interested in Kariya's recent life and struggles:

Great video and interview!

That's the first I've ever heard of his assessment (or any assessment for that matter) as to the % of brain damage or mental capacity he lost as a result of his concussions (if it was reported elsewhere in the past then I must have clearly missed it). Very sad. Very sad indeed.

On a much less serious note, everyone of his surfing spots in the video were exactly my old surfing spots when I lived in south Orange County, although I never spotted him there.

#3 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Great video and interview!

That's the first I've ever heard of his assessment (or any assessment for that matter) as to the % of brain damage or mental capacity he lost as a result of his concussions (if it was reported elsewhere in the past then I must have clearly missed it). Very sad. Very sad indeed.

On a much less serious note, everyone of his surfing spots in the video were exactly my old surfing spots when I lived in south Orange County, although I never spotted him there.

Yeah.  They asked some great questions. 

They had reported on the damage to his brain when he first retired.  But only briefly.  This really put a whole new light on it.  For 2 years he struggled just to make it by.  Also, nice to see he's still with Valerie.

I don't get on the water much any more and when I did, I was an LA surfer.  But that's awesome he has the same spots you did.

#4 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

For anyone interested in Kariya's recent life and struggles:

https://www.youtube....h?v=fPjvWBR_JgI

Awesome.  He was the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

My younger son used to play rec at Aliso Viejo up until last year.  I would have really liked to have been fortunate enough to be there when Kariya visited and get a picture with him and my son.

#5 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for sharing the link.   Paul Kariya is the reason I love and follow hockey.  He was finesse and skill and always polite when I had interactions with him.   He is the reason I bought the microplan that includes the Hall of Fame night game.  I am not there to see Selanne, although I adore Teemu.  I am there to honor Kariya, to applaud and cheer him on.

On a side note, in the interview it mentions he has no momentos of hockey in his house.  I recall an interview from a long way back that said he hated having any tchotchkes around the house.  He didn't want all the cleaning and dusting that they would need.

#6 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for sharing the link.   Paul Kariya is the reason I love and follow hockey.  He was finesse and skill and always polite when I had interactions with him.   He is the reason I bought the microplan that includes the Hall of Fame night game.  I am not there to see Selanne, although I adore Teemu.  I am there to honor Kariya, to applaud and cheer him on.

On a side note, in the interview it mentions he has no momentos of hockey in his house.  I recall an interview from a long way back that said he hated having any tchotchkes around the house.  He didn't want all the cleaning and dusting that they would need.

He was great fun to watch, to be sure. Can't help but wonder what the two of them might have been like with Andy Mac in the middle - can anyone imagine a faster line?

#7 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

That's very interesting. I wonder where he keeps his gold medal?

He was great fun to watch, to be sure. Can't help but wonder what the two of them might have been like with Andy Mac in the middle - can anyone imagine a faster line?

Andy Mac and Kariya were awesome together in St. Louis. The 3 of them together would have been explosive.

#8 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

This is very touching.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ith-fan~1258476

#9 hi_from_ca

hi_from_ca

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

What a dick!  He didn't even answer her question! [/sarcasm]

#10 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Kariya and Selanne back at their old ways in the alumni game.

#11 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

So not that I expected there to be any bad press with the HOF induction of PK, but its interesting to see how little people actually know or understand about his departure from Anaheim. Everytime one of the talking heads mentions PK and why Anaheim fans might have been upset with PK, they just mention that he finished his career elsewhere. I had the same reaction when I called into NHL radio before and brought up my feelings about PK because of how he left Anaheim. The host dismissed it, brushing it off that fans shouldnt expect players to play their whole careers in one spot.

If this had been NY or TOR, I fully believe the NHL universe would have completely different feelings, but because its Anaheim, they arent even well informed.

This post isnt to bring all of that up for debate again or anything like that, its more about how Anaheim is still just brushed aside and people cant be bothered to educate themselves with the franchise or the history here.

I think PK is a fringe HOF guy. My personal feelings about him aside, I dont know that he did enough in his career to truly deserve the honor. Maybe in Anaheim he did enough if they had their own "ring of Honor" or their own HOF, but not league wide. I think he would have had a better overall career if he would have stayed in Anaheim, bu that then brings up the question of if Anaheim would have won a Cup in 07 or not. Lots of variables.

Anyways, congrats to PK and Teemu. Teemu truly deserves this honor and I wish they would spend a little more time really praising and honoring him as an individual here, instead of lumping him in with PK so heavily. I think Teemu deserves that. 

#12 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Well said, I sold tickets for next Sunday because my significant other despises Kariya and we already saw Teemu's number retired.

#13 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

So not that I expected there to be any bad press with the HOF induction of PK, but its interesting to see how little people actually know or understand about his departure from Anaheim. Everytime one of the talking heads mentions PK and why Anaheim fans might have been upset with PK, they just mention that he finished his career elsewhere. I had the same reaction when I called into NHL radio before and brought up my feelings about PK because of how he left Anaheim. The host dismissed it, brushing it off that fans shouldnt expect players to play their whole careers in one spot.

If this had been NY or TOR, I fully believe the NHL universe would have completely different feelings, but because its Anaheim, they arent even well informed.

This post isnt to bring all of that up for debate again or anything like that, its more about how Anaheim is still just brushed aside and people cant be bothered to educate themselves with the franchise or the history here.

I think PK is a fringe HOF guy. My personal feelings about him aside, I dont know that he did enough in his career to truly deserve the honor. Maybe in Anaheim he did enough if they had their own "ring of Honor" or their own HOF, but not league wide. I think he would have had a better overall career if he would have stayed in Anaheim, bu that then brings up the question of if Anaheim would have won a Cup in 07 or not. Lots of variables.

Anyways, congrats to PK and Teemu. Teemu truly deserves this honor and I wish they would spend a little more time really praising and honoring him as an individual here, instead of lumping him in with PK so heavily. I think Teemu deserves that. 

I too wish they would spend a bit more time reviewing Anaheim history before they speak.  But this is a week for celebration, as you say.

And I think Teemu probably enjoys being tied to Paul for this whole event.  They're best friends.

#14 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

I would like to suggest that in light of Kariya's clear concussion in game 6 and his own admission of not even remembering playing the remainder of that game, perhaps that had something to do with the decisions that he made that summer.  It was not his first concussion either, which leads me to believe there was already some long-term damage being done by that point.  How did that affect his thinking?  I understand that many fans were and are still bitter about it, but the reality is he had every right to make the decision he did.  We don't know all the discussions between him and management.  We don't know what all was going on in his concussed brain.    

Teemu returned to Anaheim, but despite him being there, Paul never returned.  Why?  We don't know all the details or the whole story.  There were bits of the story that came out in the recent video and this after 14 years!  

What Kariya chose to do in the summer of 2003 is a small blip on the radar screen in light of his entire career, which, in my opinion IS Hall of Fame worthy.

#15 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

I didnt bring up his departure to start yet another debate on Rat vs Savior. I brought it up because of how little the hockey world actually know or cares about his departure. I brought it up because it highlights how little attention the hockey world pays teams like Anaheim.

Is it possible that his concussions scrambled his brain and he made bad decisions because of it? I guess, but Im not a doctor. I've never seen any evidence to support that claim either

Teemu left and came back because of decisions the franchise made. He didnt make promises to the fans and then go back on his word. 

For me, PK had a good career that was marred by his exit from Anaheim,  a lack of individual awards like the Hart, concussions, and outside of 2003, his lack of success in the post-season. Its a lot like Tony Romo who has some of the best numbers the game has ever seen. Had Tony had ANY success in the playoffs or ever won just 1 superbowl, he would be HOF worthy, but because of his lack of productivity in the post-season, he should never get a sniff. 

Selanne belongs int he Hall of Fame. PK belongs int he Hall of Good. Pk is the kind of guy who belongs in a franchise HOF. Think Chuck Finley.

Meanwhile Perry has a Cup, Hart and Rocket

I too wish they would spend a bit more time reviewing Anaheim history before they speak.  But this is a week for celebration, as you say.

And I think Teemu probably enjoys being tied to Paul for this whole event.  They're best friends.

I think Teemu LOVES that PK is with him for this ride. I dont think he minds AT ALL that there is so much focus ont he both of them and not him as an individual. Thats part of being humble. Thats part of enjoying things with friends.

My only contention was that Selanne DESERVES more individual recognition going through this process.

#16 hi_from_ca

hi_from_ca

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

It seems like PK made the HHOF, in part, BECAUSE of the concussions.  I saw multiple articles before the voting that opined he deserved to be voted in and his stats were what they were because his career was cut short.  I can't argue with that logic, but you don't have to agree or disagree.  It is what it is, and from what was said before the voting, I think it may be what swayed the vote. 

Whatever you feel about him, I don't think anyone envies him the long term effects that the game has had on his health and life. 

#17 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

It seems like PK made the HHOF, in part, BECAUSE of the concussions.  I saw multiple articles before the voting that opined he deserved to be voted in and his stats were what they were because his career was cut short.  I can't argue with that logic, but you don't have to agree or disagree.  It is what it is, and from what was said before the voting, I think it may be what swayed the vote. 

Whatever you feel about him, I don't think anyone envies him the long term effects that the game has had on his health and life. 

Thats an interesting argument. I dont doubt that concussions not only cut his career short but also had an affect on how he played. But I dont know that you vote someone into the HHOF based off of that. You essentially give him a pass due to potential?

#18 hi_from_ca

hi_from_ca

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thats an interesting argument. I dont doubt that concussions not only cut his career short but also had an affect on how he played. But I dont know that you vote someone into the HHOF based off of that. You essentially give him a pass due to potential?

The argument, as I saw it summed up, was less about potential, but more of "Look what he accomplished even with the concussions affecting him and shortening his career".  The idea was that in a shortened career with a concussion history, his stats were HHOF worthy.  It was, of course, much better stated by advocates, and someone who's not me!

#19 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I didnt bring up his departure to start yet another debate on Rat vs Savior. I brought it up because of how little the hockey world actually know or cares about his departure. I brought it up because it highlights how little attention the hockey world pays teams like Anaheim.

Is it possible that his concussions scrambled his brain and he made bad decisions because of it? I guess, but Im not a doctor. I've never seen any evidence to support that claim either

Teemu left and came back because of decisions the franchise made. He didnt make promises to the fans and then go back on his word. 

For me, PK had a good career that was marred by his exit from Anaheim,  a lack of individual awards like the Hart, concussions, and outside of 2003, his lack of success in the post-season. Its a lot like Tony Romo who has some of the best numbers the game has ever seen. Had Tony had ANY success in the playoffs or ever won just 1 superbowl, he would be HOF worthy, but because of his lack of productivity in the post-season, he should never get a sniff. 

Selanne belongs int he Hall of Fame. PK belongs int he Hall of Good. Pk is the kind of guy who belongs in a franchise HOF. Think Chuck Finley.

Meanwhile Perry has a Cup, Hart and Rocket

I think Teemu LOVES that PK is with him for this ride. I dont think he minds AT ALL that there is so much focus ont he both of them and not him as an individual. Thats part of being humble. Thats part of enjoying things with friends.

My only contention was that Selanne DESERVES more individual recognition going through this process.

A lot of Teemu's thunder is being taken right now.  That is true.  But Teemu has been around the game.  Everyone has had a chance to adore and love Teemu.  Kariya has been gone for so long, I think people are just excited to have him back.

The argument, as I saw it summed up, was less about potential, but more of "Look what he accomplished even with the concussions affecting him and shortening his career".  The idea was that in a shortened career with a concussion history, his stats were HHOF worthy.  It was, of course, much better stated by advocates, and someone who's not me!

One article I saw stated that the HHoF is supposed to be for great players, not great numbers.  Anyone who watched Kariya during his career knows he was a great player.

#20 Dutch Duck

Dutch Duck

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

One article I saw stated that the HHoF is supposed to be for great players, not great numbers.  Anyone who watched Kariya during his career knows he was a great player.

This!

#21 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Ok, so lets say that McDavid goes down tomorrow with a concussion and never recovers, never plays again. He is a great player, but does he get in?

#22 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Ok, so lets say that McDavid goes down tomorrow with a concussion and never recovers, never plays again. He is a great player, but does he get in?

C'mon, man.  Don't be obtuse.

Kariya played 15 seasons in the NHL, missing many games over some of those seasons due to concussions.  He scored 402 goals and added 587 assists in those 989 games, a point a game.  Played in 46 career playoff games and collected 16 goals and 23 assists.  Helped his team to a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, although he has no recollection of that.  As a professional played in 38 games internationally and had 17 goals and 22 assists.  7-time All-Star. 7 seasons with 30+ goals.  7 seasons at better than a point a game.

If McDavid's career ended today, it would be a blip compared to Kariya's.  If McDavid keeps up his current scoring pace for 989 games he would have 375 goals.

#23 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

C'mon, man.  Don't be obtuse.

Kariya played 15 seasons in the NHL, missing many games over some of those seasons due to concussions.  He scored 402 goals and added 587 assists in those 989 games, a point a game.  Played in 46 career playoff games and collected 16 goals and 23 assists.  Helped his team to a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, although he has no recollection of that.  As a professional played in 38 games internationally and had 17 goals and 22 assists.  7-time All-Star. 7 seasons with 30+ goals.  7 seasons at better than a point a game.

If McDavid's career ended today, it would be a blip compared to Kariya's.  If McDavid keeps up his current scoring pace for 989 games he would have 375 goals.

Obtuse? Was Shawshank on TV again?

Im fully aware that PK played 15 seasons and pretty good numbers. Im fully aware McDavid is just starting his career.

You are missing my point. The statrement was "The HOF is supposed to be for great players, not great numbers." It has nothing to do with longevity or anything like that. I am responding to the heart of that argument. "The HOF is for great players." McDavid is a great player.

I am simply challenging the idea that the HOF is just for "great players". Those great players still have to do something worthy of induction. Being a "great player" isnt simply enough.

#24 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Obtuse? Was Shawshank on TV again?

Im fully aware that PK played 15 seasons and pretty good numbers. Im fully aware McDavid is just starting his career.

You are missing my point. The statrement was "The HOF is supposed to be for great players, not great numbers." It has nothing to do with longevity or anything like that. I am responding to the heart of that argument. "The HOF is for great players." McDavid is a great player.

I am simply challenging the idea that the HOF is just for "great players". Those great players still have to do something worthy of induction. Being a "great player" isnt simply enough.

Ok. Great players who display greatness for an extended period of time.

#25 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Ok. Great players who display greatness for an extended period of time.

Right, there has to be something behind it. There has to be a somewhat significant track record. Were talking about the hall of fame, which should be reserved for the best of the best players that transcend their eras. I think we already take in too many players.

Again, I think PK is a fringe guy for the league. For the Ducks? Sure. Ring of honor all the way. 

Because he is a fringe guy (in my eyes) I cant really fault people thinking he does or does not belong but I will reject the idea that he is/was a shoe in candidate.

But whatever. Congrats to PK. Even moreso, congrats to the greatest 8, The Finnish Flash.

Maybe things like this will get PK around the team more. Maybe it will help to mend the relationship between hima nd the fans who still hold the grudge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users