23 replies to this topic

#1 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Murray confirms Getzlaf had facial surgery, out two months.

#2 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/getzlaf-undergoes-surgery-plus-injury-updates-to-fowler-and-kesler/c-292719466 

I am not sure if that will force him out of the line up for 2 months.  It says recovery can take up to two months, and he will have to wear a shield when he returns to the line up.  (Should have been wearing one all along, but I sound like his mom when I say that.)  Can he get back in the line up in a shorter period of time before it is 100%? 

#3 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Ehh at least Kesler and Fowler are coming along?

#4 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

This is bad news either way IMO because Getz has typically not played as well when he has had to wear a shield vs. not wearing a shield.

#5 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

This is bad news either way IMO because Getz has typically not played as well when he has had to wear a shield vs. not wearing a shield.

Yup. Even when hes back, he wont be playing at his peak because his vision suffers from the shield. Which is why he doesnt wear one regularly. because he wants to be good. Strange.

If hes out 2 months, were done. Kesler isnt back until mid-late December from what I last heard so they would be about the same timeline.

#6 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

I remember a study concluding that players claiming impaired vision from visors were wrong. Getzlaf is far from the only player who dislikes them, though.

#7 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

I remember a study concluding that players claiming impaired vision from visors were wrong. Getzlaf is far from the only player who dislikes them, though.

I find that pretty.... ridiculous. Would like to see that "Study" because its very much a subjective and personal thing.

"Wear this"

"No, I cant see as well"

"Youre wrong, you dont know what you can and cant see. Wear this"

Havent we also has numerous members here attest to the fact that cages and shields have bothered them when they wore them? HH said just last week I think that he only wears one when required to by rink rules otherwise he doesnt like to, right?

#8 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

I find that pretty.... ridiculous. Would like to see that "Study" because its very much a subjective and personal thing.

"Wear this"

"No, I cant see as well"

Havent we also has numerous members here attest to the fact that cages and shields have bothered them when they wore them? HH said just last week I think that he only wears one when required to by rink rules otherwise he doesnt like to, right?

Yeah.  Cages suck.  Not as much as this injury news though.  F *!

Is our season over?  I don't know.  Maybe.  It feels a lot like what happened to Tampa Bay last year.  That Dahlin kid is supposed to be pretty good,

#9 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Yeah.  Cages suck.  Not as much as this injury news though.  

Understand.

But thats my point. Cages would probably be less intrusive than a shield that can fog, smear and distort vision and yet the cage still sucks. 

#10 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

"Wear this"

"No, I cant see as well"

With no shield, cage, or fish bowl, your vision is completely unobstructed.  Everything else obstructs your vision to one degree or another.

Honestly, shields are somewhat of a specious argument in regards to facial injuries.  They CAN and mostly do protect your eyes from damage, but they DON'T prevent injury to ANY part of your face 100% of the time.  And they never protect your mouth/jaw area.  A stick or puck can always find it's way to a bad spot.

Cages and Fish Bowls are pretty much 100% protection.  And the only time they are worn in the NHL is when a player is returning from facial injury/surgery.

I put my grille back on this week because with all the talking about it last week, I was bound to get smoked any day.  Karma.

#11 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

With no shield, cage, or fish bowl, your vision is completely unobstructed.  Everything else obstructs your vision to one degree or another.

Honestly, shields are somewhat of a specious argument in regards to facial injuries.  They CAN and mostly do protect your eyes from damage, but they DON'T prevent injury to ANY part of your face 100% of the time.  And they never protect your mouth/jaw area.  A stick or puck can always find it's way to a bad spot.

Cages and Fish Bowls are pretty much 100% protection.  And the only time they are worn in the NHL is when a player is returning from facial injury/surgery.

I put my grille back on this week because with all the talking about it last week, I was bound to get smoked any day.  Karma.

Thats the other thing that is interesting to note. Even if Getz had a shield on, it doesnt mean it would have stopped this from happening. There are many different sizes and shapes tot he shields and depending ont eh angle, the puck or stick can hit under the shield, unobstructed. 

Full cage or fishbowl are the only sure things. Good luck with that.

#12 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thats the other thing that is interesting to note. Even if Getz had a shield on, it doesnt mean it would have stopped this from happening. There are many different sizes and shapes tot he shields and depending ont eh angle, the puck or stick can hit under the shield, unobstructed. 

Full cage or fishbowl are the only sure things. Good luck with that.

These are two designs I'm working on.  Both have their pluses and minuses...

0b0da50bf0e4a87ee725e7609e54831e--starga

armour-1.jpg

This guy is looking good for Movember!

#13 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

I think we have the ability to play .500 til January 1 then catch fire at full strength and make the playoffs. The thread title is half truth IMO and half sarcasm. I have some hope. 

#14 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

Understand.

But thats my point. Cages would probably be less intrusive than a shield that can fog, smear and distort vision and yet the cage still sucks. 

I don't mind the half shields.  They vent very well.  Cages, you just never have your full vision.  It blocks your lower peripherals from seeing the puck at all. 

I haven't worn a fishbowl since I was a kid.  But they will definitely fog up. 

#15 DucksScore

DucksScore

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I think we have the ability to play .500 til January 1 then catch fire at full strength and make the playoffs. The thread title is half truth IMO and half sarcasm. I have some hope. 

+1

Brevity is the soul of wit.

My post in another thread took 5 paragraphs to say basically the same thing.

#16 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

meh, ducks will make the playoffs. not worried

#17 Dutch Duck

Dutch Duck

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

meh, ducks will make the playoffs. not worried

I'm not worried either. Maybe we can even get some pressure off by getting in as a lower seed. LA, San Jose and Nashville did fine after just sneaking in the playoffs. Hell, even Pittsburgh haven't won their division since 2014.

#18 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

No team that has won the division has won the cup since the playoff rule changes in 2014. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

#19 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,395 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:54 PM

Jared Boll, who scored his first goal in his two seasons with the Ducks, has a lower-body injury and is day-to-day. The Ducks called up Kevin Roy from San Diego (AHL), promoting the Quebec native after he was leading the Gulls with 11 points in 10 games.

OCR link

#20 Wigeon

Wigeon

Legend

• Members
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

and the beat goes on.......

While watching the game the other night (after it was announced that Getzlaf was going to be out for maybe two months),

this team didn't play like they thought the season was over.

They don't think it and neither do I, I think we're going to be surprised.

#21 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,395 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Eric Stephens  @icemancometh 2 minutes ago

See that Ducks have updated roster and list Ondrej Kase as being on injured reserve. So he'll be out Sunday as well.

https://twitter.com/...718918310440961

#22 2forroughing

2forroughing

On Ice Security

• Members
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Anyone see the movie Poltergeist?  The scene where the woman is running down the hallway, but the hallway keeps getting longer so she cannot reach get to the end of it.

That's how this feels.

#23 JLL

JLL

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

Anyone see the movie Poltergeist?  The scene where the woman is running down the hallway, but the hallway keeps getting longer so she cannot reach get to the end of it.

That's how this feels.

I did years ago, and I can't believe you remember any of it - I don't!

#24 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Gibson is participating in drills at Anaheim Ice today FWIW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users