55 replies to this topic

#51 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

I like what he said better than nothing. And yes, it may have put Paul in a position where he feels he has to do it if he worded it the way I said he should, but he kind of did that with the way he worded it anyway.

I do not think the ceremony was a place for an apology. I dont think he is obligated to give one at all. But certainly not at the ceremony. That was a time for good vibes only.

A quick, well designed apology would have kept those good vibes going. Those who dont care what he did, dont think he needs to apologize. Those who dont think players owe fans anything, dont think he needs to apologize. Those who think he turned his back on the fans and franchise, think an apology would go a long way to rebuilding or fixing the relationship.

This is something we will never agree on.

#52 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

A quick, well designed apology would have kept those good vibes going. Those who dont care what he did, dont think he needs to apologize. Those who dont think players owe fans anything, dont think he needs to apologize. Those who think he turned his back on the fans and franchise, think an apology would go a long way to rebuilding or fixing the relationship.

This is something we will never agree on.

I'm gonna give him a pass on the apology for a couple of reasons.

1) Why apologize? He got a THUNDEROUS standing ovation. The crowd went WILD thinking Henry was gonna unfurl the banner right there. He's not had to account for it, why should he now (other than to appease guys like you and I?)

2) Would it really appease us? I can't think of watching him say "Sorry" in any context where I'd go "oh, ok buddy, don't worry about it". Bringing it up is not gonna go well for him.

3) He doesn't owe us anything. I can't say this without bagging on him a little, but here's a tiny little guy from BC who is incredibly gifted at this sport. He is also extremely introverted. He went all the way to Maine to play, then to Anaheim. We know little or nothing about his family, his friends, his life now. We knew little or nothing then. He didn't ask for celebrity or fame, just to play and get paid. Even his big 50 mill deal he said was more for the NHLPA than him. He wants to be left alone. He doesn't want to deal with this bulls*. About the only public statement he made of ANY CONSEQUENE in his entire life was "same time next year" or whatever and that blew up in his face. If Teemu's motto is "come on over, lets go do something" Paul's is "leave me alone". From HIS perspective, he worked his ass off, gave 110% and got paid because he put butts in the seats. He's right. I would love nothing more than for this guy to be like Parros or Selanne, an open book happy-go-lucky ambassador for the team and the game. Not ever gonna happen. 

RGS I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying that I'm over it. I'll still take swipes at him. He's still not my kind of player or my kind of guy, and his departure was pure bulls* that blew up in his face. But honestly I watched him in those videos and stuff and thought "OK, fine, good for him. He was a hell of a player". 

#53 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

1) Why apologize? He got a THUNDEROUS standing ovation. The crowd went WILD thinking Henry was gonna unfurl the banner right there. He's not had to account for it, why should he now (other than to appease guys like you and I?)

2) Would it really appease us? I can't think of watching him say "Sorry" in any context where I'd go "oh, ok buddy, don't worry about it". Bringing it up is not gonna go well for him.

3) He doesn't owe us anything. I can't say this without bagging on him a little, but here's a tiny little guy from BC who is incredibly gifted at this sport. He is also extremely introverted. He went all the way to Maine to play, then to Anaheim. We know little or nothing about his family, his friends, his life now. We knew little or nothing then. He didn't ask for celebrity or fame, just to play and get paid. Even his big 50 mill deal he said was more for the NHLPA than him. He wants to be left alone. He doesn't want to deal with this bulls*. About the only public statement he made of ANY CONSEQUENE in his entire life was "same time next year" or whatever and that blew up in his face. If Teemu's motto is "come on over, lets go do something" Paul's is "leave me alone". From HIS perspective, he worked his ass off, gave 110% and got paid because he put butts in the seats. He's right. I would love nothing more than for this guy to be like Parros or Selanne, an open book happy-go-lucky ambassador for the team and the game. Not ever gonna happen. 

RGS I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying that I'm over it. I'll still take swipes at him. He's still not my kind of player or my kind of guy, and his departure was pure bulls* that blew up in his face. But honestly I watched him in those videos and stuff and thought "OK, fine, good for him. He was a hell of a player". 

You and I are on pretty much complete opposite ends of the Kariya issue. But this was very well said. Thank you.

#54 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

1) I get what you are saying, but that doesnt mean I give him a pass. Yes there are a lot of people who are either uneducated on the PK issue, dont care because they are fan girls or just think he did more good than bad. Fine, I get that. You and I are in the minority that think hes a prick/rat/turn-coat/whatever. None of that though means he gets a pass from me.

2) Would it completely do away with what he did? WOuld it get me to K9's level of acceptance or love? No. Would it mean that I fully forgave him? No. But would it give me a little more respect for the guy and make me at least a little bit more ok with him? Yeah.

3) This is one of the arguments I was talking about earlier; the "players dont owe the fans anything" argument. I dont agree with that. Without the fans these guys are just some dudes playing a kids game instead of working a real job for mediocre $$.They owe the fans a whole hell of a lot. No fans, no job. The NFL might find that one out pretty damn quick.

All of what you said makes sense, I just disagree that any of it gives him a pass.

I did have the same reaction as you though "OK, fine, good for him. He was a hell of a player". 

#55 SurfCityDuck

SurfCityDuck

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

1) I get what you are saying, but that doesnt mean I give him a pass. Yes there are a lot of people who are either uneducated on the PK issue, dont care because they are fan girls or just think he did more good than bad. Fine, I get that. You and I are in the minority that think hes a prick/rat/turn-coat/whatever. None of that though means he gets a pass from me.

2) Would it completely do away with what he did? WOuld it get me to K9's level of acceptance or love? No. Would it mean that I fully forgave him? No. But would it give me a little more respect for the guy and make me at least a little bit more ok with him? Yeah.

3) This is one of the arguments I was talking about earlier; the "players dont owe the fans anything" argument. I dont agree with that. Without the fans these guys are just some dudes playing a kids game instead of working a real job for mediocre $$.They owe the fans a whole hell of a lot. No fans, no job. The NFL might find that one out pretty damn quick.

All of what you said makes sense, I just disagree that any of it gives him a pass.

I did have the same reaction as you though "OK, fine, good for him. He was a hell of a player". 

You're the only one on either this or the official message board still sore at Kariya for what happened 14 years ago. Suggesting he should have apologized after receiving a huge standing ovation is nothing short of ridiculous. The people have spoken and the vast majority of Ducks fans approve of Kariya and are over it.

#56 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

You're the only one on either this or the official message board still sore at Kariya for what happened 14 years ago. Suggesting he should have apologized after receiving a huge standing ovation is nothing short of ridiculous. The people have spoken and the vast majority of Ducks fans approve of Kariya and are over it.

Maybe you should read more. There are plenty of people who are still "sore" about it. LGD just said how he still thinks the guy is a prick but doesnt think he needs to apologize. According to the "likes" some of my comments have received, there are at least 3 others who share my feelings as well. So no, Im not the only one.

And to suggest I just roll over and play nice because the 'vast majority' of anyone thinks something is not in my personality. Aint gonna happy buttercup. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users