#1 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

Details to follow

#NHLDucks acquire goaltender Jonathan Bernier from #Leafs for a conditional draft pick in 2017.

The #leafs paid Jonathan Bernier a $2M signing bonus on July 1, so the #ducks are only on the hook for $2.15M in actual salary this season.

Actually not a bad move for a backup

#2 thedozen

thedozen

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Beats the other move they made with Toronto.

#3 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts
  • Interests:Hockey and stand-up comedy

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

If anyone was worried about who the Ducks back-up goalie would be, those fears should be allayed. I think Bernier fills the job description of a backup goalie perfectly.

- 27 years old

- One year contract

- Started 194 NHL games

- Career SV% of .915

- Former 1st Round Pick ;)

#4 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

So Bernier was part of the Andersen trade, but Anaheim was waiting for the Leafs to pay Bernier's signing bonus, essentially.

Dang, alright, good on Murray. That just makes the Freddy deal look that much better

#5 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

If that report is to be believed the Ducks/Leafs trade was this:

Leafs get:

Frederik Andersen

Conditional Draft Pick

Ducks get:
Jonathan Bernier

1st round pick in 2016

2nd round pick in 2017

I'd say that's a good, no make that great, trade for Anaheim. I hope they start Bernier every time they play the Kings.

#6 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

Lets just wait and see what the conditional pick is. 

Interesting when you consider the Ducks internal cap. We all too often use the NHL Cap as a barometer of our own internal cap, which could be false thinking. Why would management care about the NHL Cap, when they really only care about the money they are spending. Case and point, Bernier is a cap hit of $4.15mil, but TOR paid $2mil of that. So his cap hit is higher than the actual money going out.

Now thats not necessarily a good thing though. If Im looking at the right numbers, Ducks have a cap hit of $63.892mil but are paying out salaries of $65.232mil. Another site has it as $63.029mil cap hit and $63.9mil salary. 

#7 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

If the Ducks were a cap team, either in actual dollars or on paper, it would be an issue. They're not, though, so they can afford to take on a guy who's cap hit is greater than what they are paying him.

#8 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

It's a good deal, and good to know (yes, I am sure of it) that Bob had this in place before.

I kind of think he might have a deal already in place on Fowler, just waiting to get the UFA contracts done first to maintain his apparent cap space leverage with CLOAD.

#9 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

It's a good deal, and good to know (yes, I am sure of it) that Bob had this in place before.

I kind of think he might have a deal already in place on Fowler, just waiting to get the UFA contracts done first to maintain his apparent cap space leverage with CLOAD.

Entirely possible. Thinking out loud, there's no urgency to finalize a deal now as opposed to a month from now - nothing changes with regards to the players/picks that are being exchanged. But with Rakell and Lindholm as RFAs and perhaps the other team has RFAs to deal with as well it could be in both of their best interests to hold off on the Fowler trade for a while. Interesting theory and one I think could easily have merit.

#10 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Entirely possible. Thinking out loud, there's no urgency to finalize a deal now as opposed to a month from now - nothing changes with regards to the players/picks that are being exchanged. But with Rakell and Lindholm as RFAs and perhaps the other team has RFAs to deal with as well it could be in both of their best interests to hold off on the Fowler trade for a while. Interesting theory and one I think could easily have merit.

Not 100% true though. The longer you wait, the more chances there are for people to get injured. Thompson was injured during an offseason workout. What ahppens if the trade he has in place is a killer deal and then FOwler gets injured because "Well, why rush it?". If you have the deal in place for a blockbuster like Fowler, you do it immediately 

#11 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

Not 100% true though. The longer you wait, the more chances there are for people to get injured. Thompson was injured during an offseason workout. What ahppens if the trade he has in place is a killer deal and then FOwler gets injured because "Well, why rush it?". If you have the deal in place for a blockbuster like Fowler, you do it immediately 

Not 100% true, but let's say it's 95% true. There's always the caveat that a player could get injured, killed or arrested during the offseason but assuming none of those happen there's no rush to finalize a trade. Then again if it's the player the Ducks were going to acquire that gets injured, killed or arrested then all the better for having waited, no?

#12 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

I've always liked Bernier. He's a talented guy that's been in a bad situation.

#13 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Not 100% true, but let's say it's 95% true. There's always the caveat that a player could get injured, killed or arrested during the offseason but assuming none of those happen there's no rush to finalize a trade. Then again if it's the player the Ducks were going to acquire that gets injured, killed or arrested then all the better for having waited, no?

Yeah its a catch 22. In Fowlers case, I pull the trigger ASAP. In Berniers case, Id have no problem in waiting it out

#14 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

good job BM, on this one.

#15 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Great move by BM the GM. Plugged a huge hole IMO.

That moved him down quite a fess notches on my shahit list. ;)

#16 Rooch20

Rooch20

Legend

• Members
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

If that report is to be believed the Ducks/Leafs trade was this:

Leafs get:

Frederik Andersen

Conditional Draft Pick

Ducks get:
Jonathan Bernier

1st round pick in 2016

2nd round pick in 2017

I'd say that's a good, no make that great, trade for Anaheim. I hope they start Bernier every time they play the Kings.

Lol another former King-turned-Anaheim Duck.

#17 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if both of Quick's understudies (Bernier and Jones) end up upstaging him from both sides of the state?

#18 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

Are we there yet?

• Admin
  • 75,330 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

On his familiarity with the Ducks
We played the Ducks a lot [when he was with the Kings], and they always had a great team. They’re usually a big, strong and skilled team. Defensively they’re very solid and they have a good system. And knowing Randy, he’s very high on a defensive mentality, so I think it’s a great fit.

On competing with John Gibson
I’m just looking to focus on myself. At the end of the day, if you play well and win games, things usually work out. I just want to make sure I’m giving my 100 percent in practice and games, and give my team a chance to win. You can’t think about how many games you’re going to play or whether Gibson is playing more games than me or not. I’ve been working hard this summer, and I’m ready to go for the upcoming season.

link

#19 Tomato Assasin

Tomato Assasin

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

Did we really need to make this trade? If the picks in the Andersen trade were partly dependent on Bernier coming the other way then fair enough, but we just spent $5.6m cap space in less than two weeks on guys we didn't particularly need. I'm guessing here, but surely we could have got Enroth for less than $2m, which would have saved $2m in cap space compared to Bernier. Boll and Raymond were unnecessary and now we only have $9.1m cap space for Lindholm and Rakell. Doesn't exactly scream manouverability for that top line LW that we need. Even if we trade Fowler at this point, we could only receive a contract in similar or less $.

#20 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

4mil in cap space but only 2mil in actual dollars.  Ducks style of trade.

#21 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

Quack

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Did we really need to make this trade? If the picks in the Andersen trade were partly dependent on Bernier coming the other way then fair enough, but we just spent $5.6m cap space in less than two weeks on guys we didn't particularly need. I'm guessing here, but surely we could have got Enroth for less than $2m, which would have saved $2m in cap space compared to Bernier. Boll and Raymond were unnecessary and now we only have $9.1m cap space for Lindholm and Rakell. Doesn't exactly scream manouverability for that top line LW that we need. Even if we trade Fowler at this point, we could only receive a contract in similar or less $.

I agree with you. The Ducks not being a cap team doesn't make this a good deal, to me it makes it worse. There's even less room to work with. I believe with this deal the roster is in a worse spot than it was before. A backup goalie could have been penciled in for half this cap hit.

From a financial point of view? Yes it's good. They pay less than the cap hit and I bet they're thrilled about it. That's great for ownership but excuse me if I don't care about a billionaire saving a few bucks.

#22 Kariya9

Kariya9

Legend

• Members
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

I'm sure Samuelli will give us some extra budget room since his actual salary is cut in half.

If Stoner and Fowler are shipped out, that gives us another 7.2.

#23 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Fan

• Members
  • 25,902 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

... but excuse me if I don't care about a billionaire saving a few bucks.

Amen.

On the other hand, I'm all for Bernier. John Gibson has been good, but he's got a lot to prove towards durability.

But I still don't like the bs Cap hit number that comes with him.

Phony as the unemployment numbers the politicians use.

#24 QuackHead

QuackHead

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Well, there weren't many backups available, and bernier is solid. The boll deal was the more unnecessary cap hit. Ducks needed a backup so I'm okay with this deal.

#25 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

• Members
  • 14,613 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

Bernier is better than Enroth or any other FA goalie still available. We're not a cap team anyways so the fact that his cap hit is $2mil more than he makes, really doesnt matter for the Ducks. This is the kind of team that can afford to have that type of player on their books. Again, you guys are looking at this from a cap only standpoint, not a salary standpoint. Logic would tell you that the front office doesnt care about the cap, they care about the salaries being paid out. They could spend to the cap and still be millions under the cap, and that would be fine in their eyes. We're obviously not in that position, but thats the logic that goes along with it.

At this point, the fact that guys like Enroth havent been signed, only tells me that they are holding out for more $$ than anyone thinks they are worth. The longer they sit on the market, the more their price tag will drop but this move at least shows Murray was being proactive about something this offseason and if Bernier was a FA, he was probably the 2nd best goalie out there?

The Andersen deal was already a good one, then you make Bernier a toss in piece. That makes the deal that much better.

And even though Ive been on the negative train so far, there is still time to move guys like Stoner to free up space and then also to move Fowler, for what you expect to be an even-ish cap swap. I dont see this cap hit being an issue at all.

Until its your millions of dollars being spent, I dont know that we can complain too much that the ownership wants to be smart with their investment.

And Im with QH on this one. If you want to talk about wasted cap space, look at Boll, not Bernier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users