Corey Perry appreciation thread

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#1 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,496 posts
  • Interests:You don't care, and if you do, I pity you.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

The following is a portion of my latest post over at Hockeybuzz.com. For the full text you can click on the link in my signature. Basically I feel that Corey Perry is playing extraordinary hockey right now and should be applauded for his efforts. Without him who knows where the Ducks would be right now and I hope his strong play continues.

------------------------------

One of the biggest surprises for me this year has been the play of Corey Perry. Perry is a former first round draft pick (28th overall in 2003) and has always been a nice player for the Ducks with a lot of potential. This season he has taken huge steps in becoming a more consistent scorer and dominant power forward.

In 15 games this season Perry has eight goals and five assists putting him on pace for 43 goals and 27 assists (70 points) this season. Now, I don’t expect him to reach 40 goals this year but I do expect him to easily surpass the career-high 17 goals that he scored last season.

Perry’s offense has been huge for the Ducks this season as he has equaled number of goals that Ryan Getzlaf, Andy McDonald, Todd Bertuzzi and Samuel Pahlsson have combined to score in 45 games. The consistency has been nice to see as he has not gone longer than three games without scoring a goal and has not gone longer than two games without scoring a point.

Clearly there’s something about Perry that irks the other team as well as he is always getting into a shoving match after the whistle. He’s not afraid to drop the gloves and has done so seven times in his NHL career but for every time he does get into a fight there’s probably 10 times that he gets into a scrum after the whistle. Perry is 6’3” and 200 pounds so he’s a big enough man to cause some chaos on the ice when he forechecks and crashes the net. At just 22 years old he’s bound to fill out more as time goes on which should only help his game.

If Perry can continue to play at this level, or even continue to improve, the Ducks will be well set for the future with him, Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan as their forwards of the future. Regardless of what he does in the years to come Perry is providing the Ducks with some offense and consistency at a time when they desperately need it.

#2 alexxx

alexxx

Back? Maybe? I'll give it a try.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Nov 5 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The following is a portion of my latest post over at Hockeybuzz.com. For the full text you can click on the link in my signature. Basically I feel that Corey Perry is playing extraordinary hockey right now and should be applauded for his efforts. Without him who knows where the Ducks would be right now and I hope his strong play continues.

One of the biggest surprises for me this year has been the play of Corey Perry. Perry is a former first round draft pick (28th overall in 2003) and has always been a nice player for the Ducks with a lot of potential. This season he has taken huge steps in becoming a more consistent scorer and dominant power forward.

In 15 games this season Perry has eight goals and five assists putting him on pace for 43 goals and 27 assists (70 points) this season. Now, I don’t expect him to reach 40 goals this year but I do expect him to easily surpass the career-high 17 goals that he scored last season.

Perry’s offense has been huge for the Ducks this season as he has equaled number of goals that Ryan Getzlaf, Andy McDonald, Todd Bertuzzi and Samuel Pahlsson have combined to score in 45 games. The consistency has been nice to see as he has not gone longer than three games without scoring a goal and has not gone longer than two games without scoring a point.

Clearly there’s something about Perry that irks the other team as well as he is always getting into a shoving match after the whistle. He’s not afraid to drop the gloves and has done so seven times in his NHL career but for every time he does get into a fight there’s probably 10 times that he gets into a scrum after the whistle. Perry is 6’3” and 200 pounds so he’s a big enough man to cause some chaos on the ice when he forechecks and crashes the net. At just 22 years old he’s bound to fill out more as time goes on which should only help his game.

If Perry can continue to play at this level, or even continue to improve, the Ducks will be well set for the future with him, Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan as their forwards of the future. Regardless of what he does in the years to come Perry is providing the Ducks with some offense and consistency at a time when they desperately need it.

You know Getzlaf has just as many points and looks stronger with the puck than Perry does why don't you dedicate this post to the both of them?

#3 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,496 posts
  • Interests:You don't care, and if you do, I pity you.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (alexxx @ Nov 5 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know Getzlaf has just as many points and looks stronger with the puck than Perry does why don't you dedicate this post to the both of them?

Because goals are more valuable than assists and because Ryan Getzlaf is praised around the league as one of the best young players in the game while Perry receives very little recognition. I think Perry has been the best Ducks player through the first month of the season and wanted to give him some love.

#4 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Stop the presses! SacredCow isn't negative about something!!! laugh.gif Someone please record this one for posterity. Just kidding Doug, just kidding lol_1.gif

#5 alexxx

alexxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Nov 5 2007, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because goals are more valuable than assists and because Ryan Getzlaf is praised around the league as one of the best young players in the game while Perry receives very little recognition. I think Perry has been the best Ducks player through the first month of the season and wanted to give him some love.

Yes Perry is Excellent in a quiet sort of way and I can't argue that goals are what matter most (as i always love to say when I compare Crosby to Ovechkin, Getzlaf is Crosby and Perry is Ovechkin only I Getzalf is cool and I actually like him) but skill-wise Getzlaf has looked best to me and Miller has REALLY impressed me I mean he looks like Andy Mac if not better.

#6 mrmathews

mrmathews

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

I agree Perry has most definitely been one of the ducks best players. Not to mention he is a work horse and seems to always come up with the puck when fighting on the boards.

#7 alexxx

alexxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (mrmathews @ Nov 5 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree Perry has most definitely been one of the ducks best players. Not to mention he is a work horse and seems to always come up with the puck when fighting on the boards.

I agree with that but so is Getzlaf.

#8 Ahh_Damn

Ahh_Damn

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

hard to believe with the type of player perry is, he only has 17 career high in goals during a season. Well sacred nailed it and has been playing great for us. should be no reason why he should shatter his career high in goals.

#9 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (alexxx @ Nov 5 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that but so is Getzlaf.

You've made your point wink.gif

#10 Maverik

Maverik

Don't forget about my quiet intensity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Entertaining is my thing.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

Finally, FINALLY! Someone other than me appreciates Perry!
I've been saying this stuff from the beginning... Just give Perry a little time and he'll grow into a monster!
And he has done just that. It's good to see someone giving him the respect and appreciation he so rightly deserves. anaducksos1.gif anaducksos1.gif w0000t Perry!

#11 West of House

West of House

Nostraduckmus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Perry seems like a nice guy too (despite the scrumminess and the mouth!), and he looked amused when I gave him a London Knights shirt to sign. smile.gif

#12 QuacksMeUp

QuacksMeUp

Legend

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

I agree with Sacred and I might add that I have also noticed that Corey has matured in other areas such as being more at ease around the press and being able to express himself without sounding like the robot he was in seasons past. All good things come with time, and Corey definitely is coming into his own which can only benefit this team going forward. ots.gif

#13 hockey2k

hockey2k

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, art, and outdoorsy stuff.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

All these reasons are why when it came time to buy a new Ducks jersey I got the one with Perry on the back.

He does seem to be a bit unsung and a little in Getzlaf's shadow, glad to see SC took the time to write about him! clapping.gif

#14 Khan

Khan

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

sharing some Perry wuv wink.gif

#15 MrsBevo

MrsBevo

Hockeyaholic

• Mods
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Perry has seemed to come into his own this year, and it's nice to see him rewarded for his hard work. He is such a pest on the ice and clearly antagonizes his opponents, but off ice he is so quiet - everyone has to put the recorders right up to his mouth to get a good quote. He's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on and off the ice. Perry and Getzlaf remind me of Teemu and Paul - two completely opposite personalities but they work great together.

#16 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (MrsBevo @ Nov 5 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...everyone has to put the recorders right up to his mouth to get a good quote...

Yes B, we all know you have a press pass rolleyes.gif

#17 Itlan

Itlan

Selanne crys blood so you can enjoy hockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (mrmathews @ Nov 5 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perry has skating problems.... the guy is on his ass after every play, whether he is near the puck or not. He would be my favorite if he would just skate better. Getzlaf has a lack of focus this year, for some reason. He's dishing the puck off more when he should be shooting with that awesome slapper he has.

My hope is those 2 stay together and develop a sixth sense like Teemu and PK had. I'm not sure they are there just yet.

#18 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

New season, same hopes. Let's Go Ducks!

• Admin
  • 70,557 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:28 AM

"I think it's awful early to say that he's doing this or doing that," Coach Randy Carlyle said. "I think he's showing the maturity process that takes place in a young hockey player.

"When you first saw him, you saw a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed player. Now I think there's more of a complete game being played. He understands the role that has been assigned to him. He understands the league a lot better, he understands the preparation, he understands the commitment that's required."
"He will stand up for himself and his teammates," Carlyle said. "He's a scrappy player. He's a hard player to play against and he can burn you in a lot of ways."
<link to LAT article posted in Media Roundup>

#19 *ducks4cup*

*ducks4cup*

2nd Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

Perry has been sensational clapping.gif clapping.gif

I have nothing bad to say about him. Getzlaf, on the other hand, needs to pick up his game because we all know he's capable of putting up some huge numbers. I think he's injured still right now, but when he recovers, I'm expecting more production from him.

GODUCKS!!! goducks1ux5.gif goducks1ux5.gif anaoa4.gif anaoa4.gif anaoa4.gif ots.gif

#20 finagler

finagler

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Photography, videography, music

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Perry consistently is playing the way the Ducks played in the playoffs; DUCKS HOCKEY. If the entire team played with his passion we'd dominate. I love the way he takes a beating in the slot, finishes his checks, talks a mean game, and backs it up!

During the Columbus game we won, I said his nickname should be Gumby, not Perrs. He's all over the place!

#21 alexxx

alexxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (*ducks4cup* @ Nov 6 2007, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getzlaf, on the other hand, needs to pick up his game because we all know he's capable of putting up some huge numbers. I think he's injured still right now, but when he recovers, I'm expecting more production from him.

GODUCKS!!! goducks1ux5.gif goducks1ux5.gif anaoa4.gif anaoa4.gif anaoa4.gif ots.gif

That's what I'm hoping because Getzlaf is one of my favorite players and he hasn't looked as good as he should, I hope its only that he might still be injured.

#22 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,410 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Nov 5 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically I feel that Corey Perry is playing extraordinary hockey right now and should be applauded for his efforts. Without him who knows where the Ducks would be right now and I hope his strong play continues.

... This season he has taken huge steps in becoming a more consistent scorer and dominant power forward.

...Perry’s offense has been huge for the Ducks this season as he has equaled number of goals that Ryan Getzlaf, Andy McDonald, Todd Bertuzzi and Samuel Pahlsson have combined to score in 45 games. The consistency has been nice to see as he has not gone longer than three games without scoring a goal and has not gone longer than two games without scoring a point.

Clearly there’s something about Perry that irks the other team as well as he is always getting into a shoving match after the whistle. He’s not afraid to drop the gloves and has done so seven times in his NHL career but for every time he does get into a fight there’s probably 10 times that he getsinto a scrum after the whistle. Perry is 6’3” and 200 pounds so he’s a big enough man to cause some chaos on the ice when he forechecks and crashes the net. At just 22 years old he’s bound to fill out more as time goes on which should only help his game.

Good work and insight, SC ! Shining a light on Corey Perry is welcome relief from the hockey we have been seeing from the Ducks as a whole. There are almost more positives about Corey's play than the rest of the team put together, although Schneider is certainly lining up behind Perry as a performer to build on.

#23 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,410 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (finagler @ Nov 6 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perry consistently is playing the way the Ducks played in the playoffs; DUCKS HOCKEY. If the entire team played with his passion we'd dominate. I love the way he takes a beating in the slot, finishes his checks, talks a mean game, and backs it up!

During the Columbus game we won, I said his nickname should be Gumby, not Perrs. He's all over the place!

Great observations as well. Our aim as a team is to play playoff-style hockey all season long so that when the playoffs start, we are already in gear and taking it to the next level. Corey has taken his game to the next level from last year to this year so far.

And I appreciate your mention of him working in the slot. I believe this is the Ducks weakest link in their play so far this season: they do not sustain any pressure on the goalie from the slot. No wonder the only guy working that area is leading the team in goals.

Corey is the man...

#24 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (finagler @ Nov 6 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's amazing how Perry gets hit over and over, and then just bounces right back. Maybe it's being 22, but he really doesn't quit.

#25 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,410 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Itlan @ Nov 5 2007, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perry has skating problems.... the guy is on his ass after every play, whether he is near the puck or not.

Corey skates just like Jonathan Cheechoo, who scored 56 and 37 goals in the two previous seasons. Corey leads our team in scoring, and has been the only consistent one offensively. What is the "problem" ???

A real example of someone that has skating problems is Bobby Ryan. He is knocked off the puck very easily; and without the puck, he is not very good at all. His stiff-legged, high center-of-gravity style of skating requires anticipation with quickness and strength (like Jaromir Jagr), which he does not yet have. This problem was totally exposed by Torrey Mitchell in the Ducks/Sharks rookie games, and guess where Mitchell is skating right now... the NHL, not the AHL.

I wouldn't consider Perry a problem skater, but rather using a non-conventional style that gets the job done.

smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users