409 replies to this topic

#1 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

I've been promising to write this for a while now....

This is an open letter to anyone who wants to read about how one player has made a huge difference in one little girls life, most likely without even knowing it.

So where to begin? At the beginning I guess.

Back in October I attended the "Face Off Fest" with my wife and our two children(Aiden, 8 and Haili, 7) We had two goals... Get my 06/07 Jersey signed by as many of the Players who's names are on the cup as possible and, possibly more importantly, get the same players to sign my daughter’s Teddy Bear(who wears a Stanley Cup Champs T-shirt). This endeavor was VERY successful, with many memorable conversations with players, But one encounter left a lasting impression on my daughter, Haili.

When Haili handed the bear to Drew Miller he gave it a BIG hug smiled and said "It's so cute! Can I keep it?" Haili gave an emphatic "No" Drew looked over at Andy Mac who told him "No man, you can't keep the bear" we all had a good laugh and Drew promptly signed the bear, gave it another hug and gave it back. We really thought nothing of it at the time... Little did we know how much Drew's playful banter had meant to Haili.

Fast forward to November.

Haili is ill. Not common cold or maybe flu ill, but seriously ill. Sometime in mid October Her body stopped processing food properly, by mid November she had lost about 5 pounds(roughly 10% of her body weight) her pediatrician had no answers, they suspected colitis but test proved negative. As some form of comfort for her we decided that we would let her retire her T-shirt wearing bear and get a new Bear from Build-A-Bear because they now stocked Ducks Jerseys for their bears and she wanted one REAL bad. Haili got her bear, she chose “Champ” not only because the Ducks are the champs, but because a portion of the sale goes to charity. She named Her bear “Drew Miller” but seemed down, when asked why she wasn’t happy she told us it was because she thought the Bear would have his number on the jersey. Time for some quick thinking by some creative parents, we drove straight to the Team Store and asked if they could use shoulder numbers for the back. The Team Store was VERY nice and promptly put things right for Haili who was VERY excited to have Her complete “Drew Miller” bear. We went down to the tunnel for warm-ups, she wanted to see Drew and more importantly let Drew see her Bear… His Bear. She was so let down when Drew was injured and did not appear for that game.

It was about this time that we got approval through our insurance for Haili to be seen by the Doctors over at CHOC. Haili was down 12 pounds (over 20% of her body weihgt) After examination and A LOT of blood tests they still had no answers, She was scheduled for a Upper and Lower GI procedure that would require her to be put under anesthesia… Her only request was that she be allowed to keep “Drew Miller” with her… She was so brave and so tough, in her words “cause Drew Miller is”. She held that bear and used it as her source of courage in a very difficult time. She held it right up until she was starting to go under when she told my wife to “take care of Drew”. When she awoke her first request was “I want my mom and my bear”… Too cute.

A couple days later the Ducks were again at home and we were there for warms ups… Drew was in the line up. Haili waited near the tunnel for the players to come out of the locker room, May popped his head out and looked at Haili and her bear, he disappeared into the locker room and maybe 10 seconds later Drew miller popped his head out, looked around and saw Haili… And smiled. We watched warm-ups and when it was over Drew skated of the ice, walked directly to Haili and handed her a puck and gave her a quick “her you go” before returning to the locker room. This made Haili’s day! Or more specifically her week, a week later she was still talking about it as if it had just happened.

While these little acts of Kindness are probably no big deal to Drew they mean the world to Haili, as a thank you Haili made Drew a book, about 5 pages, with a letter telling him how much strength she has gotten from her “Drew Miller” bear and how much she loves him as a player, plus some pictures of Him with the cup and her cheering the Ducks. Scott Belcher our STH rep was nice enough to take the book and promised to give it to Drew.

Thanks Scott.

Haili is so brave, she has courage and strength beyond what I think I would have in the same situation… I admire her courage, strength and her youthful optimism as much as she admires Drew’s Heart, Sacrifice and Passion. Haili’s struggles are not over, on the 18th she has an appointment at CHOC, the Dr.s have been very clear, they have told us to prepare for her to be admitted. To prepare for the fact that she will spend Christmas hospitalized, they still have no answers and while not knowing is the worst possible situation for me as a parent. For Haili, she has strength and courage beyond her years… “Because Drew Miller does”

So thank you Drew, thank you for just being you and for giving my daughter the strength to endure…

To everyone here at Allducks.com thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you all appreciate the Ducks players and Drew Miller a little more and next time you see them you feel compelled to give them a little extra applause for My daughter And if you would be so kind, say a prayer for my little girl.

-Jason Todrick

EDITED BY MARSHY:
MORE INFORMATION:
Order a Haili T-Shirt for Charity
More on the Haili Donations

#2 Cassie8236

Cassie8236

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

hug.gif I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes hoping my coworkers doesn't come over and talk to me crybaby.gif

You have an amazingly brave little girl hug.gif I have alot I want to try to say, but this story really got to me. I hope that Haili is ok and I'm glad that her Drew Miller bear will be there for her.

#3 cathedral

cathedral

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

My heart and prayers go out to your daughter, you and the rest of your family.

Thank you for sharing that with the rest of us here, as I can imagine it may not have been an easy thing to do. I'm sure everyone will be sending their well wishes in Haili's direction, like I am.

Go Haili and Drew!

#4 QuacksMeUp

QuacksMeUp

Legend

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Haili is my hero. GO HAILI!! anaoa4.gif

I'm behind you and your family all the way Jason. Keep us up to date on Haili's progress. CHOC is by far the best place you could have decided to have her go even though HOME will be much better.

#5 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for posting the story. We're all pulling for Haili and for your family smile.gif

#6 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for sharing that, Jason. Haili and your family will be in my prayers for sure.

I am very glad you wrote this at this time. All the hustle-bustle of preparing for the holidays, having the Ducks' fortunes on our minds daily with the trade issue, and all the things that really aren't all that important tend to dominate our thoughts.

Your family's situation right now brings into focus what is really important, and that is each other. Having kids of my own, I can only imagine what is dominating you and your wife's thoughts. Thankfully, CHOC is available for treating Haili. What a great hospital, and one which I might add, is fully supported by Henry and Susan Samueli. Looks like the Ducks will be supporting you guys from the owner's box to the locker room!

#7 pixiedawn

pixiedawn

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sports in general, spa services, running/walking, writing, reading, cooking, shopping, trashy gossip magazines, taking pictures, all kinds of things

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

My heart goes out to you and your family. Halli seems like a brave girl, and I hope she pulls through. I will be praying for not only your daughter but your entire family.

#8 Loz

Loz

2007 Stanley Cup Champs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Anaheim Ducks, NHL, Sheffield Steelers, ice skating and ice hockey.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for sharing that.

We are thinking about you smile.gif

#9 Always Mighty

Always Mighty

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

That's a great story. I hope that this somehow finds its way to Miller.

#10 MtyDuxGrl

MtyDuxGrl

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

Drew Miller is so sweet, glad that he could help Haili get through this difficult time. Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Haili and your family, Jason.

#11 LightItUp4126

LightItUp4126

Section V Ruthless Aggressors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • Interests:I like most sports in general, but at the top is hockey, then NASCAR, then football and baseball. I don't do much, but I do play hockey for my high school team. I'm 16 and extremely apathetic and a big time procrastinator, but no time to care about that now, I've got posts to make!

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

What an awesome story. smile.gif

Hopefully you can find out what's wrong with Haili and get her home safe and sound.

#12 432j

432j

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:Hockey. Hockey. More Hockey.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Cassie8236 @ Dec 11 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hug.gif I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes hoping my coworkers doesn't come over and talk to me crybaby.gif

Ditto.

QUOTE (ladiesandgentlemen @ Dec 11 2007, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the hustle-bustle of preparing for the holidays, having the Ducks' fortunes on our minds daily with the trade issue, and all the things that really aren't all that important tend to dominate our thoughts.

Which reminds me of the CHOC commercial Steve Carroll does on the radio, in which he says something to the effect that "it strikes me as a bit odd that the players get more applause than the folks at CHOC."

My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and family as well.

#13 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (432j @ Dec 11 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which reminds me of the CHOC commercial Steve Carroll does on the radio, in which he says something to the effect that "it strikes me as a bit odd that the players get more applause than the folks at CHOC."

ever since last year, I applaud everytime i hear it.

the new CHOC commercial that says "Go Dream, Go Live, Go Prevail.... Go Kid Go." had me balling when i heard it on my way home from work after getting the news about her most likely being admitted.

it's tough... not knowing is definitely the worst part, thank you all for your kind words.

#14 dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

My best to Haili, you and the family. If there's anything anyone can do to help, let me know.

#15 Dutch Duck

Dutch Duck

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Todrick @ Dec 11 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if you would be so kind, say a prayer for my little girl.

I absolutely will.

#16 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

Jason,

Thanks for sharing Haili's and your family's story with us. It's a good reality check for us all to remember what's really important in life. Your family and Halli are in my prayers. What a courageous and special young lady you have! I'm glad Haili shared such special moments with her favorite Duck Drew Miller. Here's to many more wonderful moments, days and years.

Peace be with you and God bless.

#17 Hkyfan565

Hkyfan565

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

great story todrick

best wishes to you, your daughter, and the rest of your family. Keep us up to date on halli's condition, she will be in my prayers.

#18 Still MIGHTY

Still MIGHTY

SAVE TEEMU

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

I'll tell you it takes a lot for me to cry and tear up

That did it.
That is an amazing story.
We are all pulling for you, your family, and for Haili.
People say that a player or a team means a lot to them, and I'll say it more than most, but this shows how much a single player can mean.
I hope that the book made it to Drew and that he may try and help you guys and Haili.
I wish your family all the best, Todrick

God speed
God bless

#19 1chicducky

1chicducky

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hockey, and hm.. HOCKEY!!<br /><br />Also eating, playing games (of all nature), chillin with me homies, playing with my dog, watching movies, wasting time. =)

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Cassie8236 @ Dec 11 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have an amazingly brave little girl hug.gif I have alot I want to try to say, but this story really got to me. I hope that Haili is ok and I'm glad that her Drew Miller bear will be there for her.

I was just thinking the same thing. Fortunately our Suite is relatively quiet and many of my co-workers are in a meeting right now.

What a sweet story though, thanks Todrick for making my day! All the best to your family and a speedy recovery for Haili. She and your family will be in my prayers!!

#20 Todrick

Todrick

Ducks Outsider

• Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

If any of you see us at Tomorrows game stop and say Hi. Pretty hard to miss the 7 year old girl with the #18 Teddy Bear smile.gif

Considering this may be one of Haili's last games for a while, Haili and I will definitely be there early for warm-ups.

#21 anaheim_aussie

anaheim_aussie

Legend

• Members
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thinking of you and you're family, i hope everything works out well. Next time i see Drew Miller playing i will appreciate him even more. What a nice guy.

You're daughter is tough. All the best

#22 ducksfan95

ducksfan95

when is that giant barstool going to do something

• Members
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Dutch Duck @ Dec 11 2007, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely will.

I think all of the people hear will.

BTW that is such a sweet story

#23 TeMoZ

TeMoZ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

Wow, amazing.

I pray for the good health of Haili and the rest of your family, Jason.

#24 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,420 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

Wishing all the best for Haili. May the magic of the holiday season bring you the answers your family needs and the healing that Haili so richly deserves. And here are hopes that the new year opens with love, strength and health for all of you.

It's awesome to know that Drew's commitment to community/fans continues here in Anaheim. Thanks for sharing this very personal part of your life with us.

#25 JasonAKADfan8

JasonAKADfan8

The INSPIRATION!!! Teemu Selanne!!!

• Members
  • 7,843 posts
  • Interests:Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL, Los Angeles Lakers, UCLA Bruins, Anaheim Angels, St. Louis Rams formerly the Los Angeles Rams....I love hockey, love the NHL. I am a Mighty Duck!!!

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Jason,

Thank you for sharing such a personal story with us here...Haili is one brave girl...I am hoping she recovers and my prayers go out to you and your family. Drew Miller certainly deserves to wear that Ducks uni...he will always get my applause. But none more than your Duck, Haili...I hope she gets everything she wishes for....please be sure to keep us updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users