646 replies to this topic

#551 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

But we had such a good thing going on in our race to be champions contenders playoff qualifiers not traded out of the locker room.

We could not risk upsetting that chemistry.

:whistling:

Yeah, there are quite a few things that, imo, BM booted last season. This is one of them. I liked what I saw out of Holland in his very brief stint. When the season was in the tank in November/December, I would liked to have seen 15 or so games with him playing on the second line with Ryan on his wing.

I think the misconception early was that the young guys (DSP, Palmieri, Gordon, MacMillan) were the players that were keeping the Ducks from success. Not so.

It was Hiller, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Visnovsky, Fowler, Lydman. You know, the guys you are counting on.

#552 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think the misconception early was that the young guys (DSP, Palmieri, Gordon, MacMillan) were the players that were keeping the Ducks from success. Not so.

It was Hiller, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Visnovsky, Fowler, Lydman. You know, the guys you are counting on.

Absolutely true!

Maybe a few vets in the bottom 6 would have helped keep the scores closer, but the source of the problem was just as you state: At the top.

I'd also point out that our PK was actually BETTER with those no-name guys, (Gordon, Maceneaur, McMillan), than it was at the end of the season. Those guys weren't nearly the "crap" that some might assume. Of course, they weren't exactly scorers, either....

(And since this is the "Duck Eggs" section....) The future of this team is in those high draft picks. Maybe they were ready last year....maybe next year....maybe two years. But I contend they are the guys who will turn this team into a contender again.

#553 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hockey's Future is starting to come out with their Spring rankings for each team, (Ducks not out yet), and their Top 50 Prospects list. Numbers 41 through 50 were posted today:

Numbers 21 through 50 are now listed. Two Ducks in the most recent post: http://www.hockeysfu...looking_bright/

29. Kyle Palmieri, RW, Anaheim Ducks
Height: 5-11, Weight: 193, Fall ranking - 38

Kyle Palmieri has above average speed with explosive four-step acceleration, good puck handling skills to make plays in high traffic areas, and a natural scorer's quick, accurate release. The talented scorer has sound hockey sense and has worked hard to improve his two-way game at the professional level this season. He saw far more NHL action with the Ducks this year, yet was still the leading goal scorer on the Ducks' AHL farm team, the Syracuse Crunch, for the regular season. Palmieri will need to add more muscle mass and improve his defensive zone positioning to stay at the NHL level. The offensively skilled winger has risen on the organization’s depth chart and will likely find a lineup spot in the Ducks' top-nine forwards at the start of next season.

25. Justin Schultz, D, Anaheim Ducks
Height: 6-2, Weight: 185, Not ranked

Justin Schultz remains one of the less frequently discussed defensive prospects. Yet the accolades keep piling up and now it is time to take notice. For two consecutive seasons he has led all WCHA defensemen in points and earned the honors of Hobey Baker Finalist, First Team WCHA and Defensive Player of the Year. Schultz is mainly known for his creativity on the offensive side of the game and even led the Badgers in goals. While not physical, he has improved his defensive play as of late. He is close to being ready for the NHL.

I get the impression HF was "shamed" into including Schultz by all the publicity around him lately. He's been rated and ranked pretty middle-of-the-road for much of his career, and this is a pretty limited writeup on him compared to other players.
(Yeah....I know....some think Schultz is as good as gone. Save it for that thread).

#554 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

New season, same hopes. Let's Go Ducks!

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Defenseman Mathieu Carle, who spent the past season playing for the Ducks’ minor-league affiliate in Syracuse, signed a contract with Dynamo Riga of the Kontinental Hockey League.

OCR blog entry by Stephens

#555 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Last June, the Anaheim Ducks drafted Welinski in the third round (83rd overall) of the NHL entry draft before Welinski returned for a second year in Green Bay.This year, Welinski has been a part of the Gamblers' blue line that led the USHL with 163 points (40 goals, 123 assists). That production has been a difference-maker for Green Bay after ranking 13th of 16 teams with 88 points scored by defensemen (26 goals, 62 assists).

For his efforts, Welinski was named the team's defenseman of the year and a likely candidate for league honors.

link

#556 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Renaud P Lavoie@RenLavoieRDS
#NHLducks signs John Mitchell 2 years / 525 000 avg (2 way)
twitter link

The Ducks have signed left wing John Mitchell to a two-year contract. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

Mitchell, 25 (7/10/86), appeared in 50 games last season with Syracuse, Anaheim’s primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).

link

#557 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Mitchell’s contract is a two-way deal. CapGeek.com reported that his NHL salary is $525,000 for each of the two seasons along with a signing bonus of $10,000 for 2012-13, while he’ll make $55,000 in the American Hockey League.

#558 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

The United States Hockey League today announced that Andy Welinski of the Green Bay Gamblers has been selected as the 2011-12 USHL Defenseman of the Year as determined by a vote of USHL coaches and general managers.

Welinski totaled 37 points (15g, 22a) in 54 regular season games for the Gamblers, ranking fifth among all USHL defensemen in scoring. His 15 goals tied for first among League blueliners and his plus-35 rating tied for the third best mark in the USHL.

link

#559 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Congrats to Andy Welinski.

Let's see - USHL defenseman, drafted by the Ducks, plans on going to college in the United States and is becoming a more attractive prospect. Where have I heard that story before and how did it end? :hmm:

#560 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Q&A: Ducks Prospect Andy Welinski

Welinksi, a native of Duluth, Minnesota, will play for his hometown school -- University of Minnesota-Duluth –- this fall. Before that, he will be working out at home and join other Ducks prospects in the annual Conditioning Camp in Anaheim later this month.

For fans who haven’t seen you play, how would you describe your game?
I like to be as offensive as I can, but it’s always preached to me to play defensively first, and offense will come off of that. With that mindset, it’s worked really well. I think I’m a good skater, so I can play defense, but if I need to get up in the play, I can do that too.

Is there a player in the league you model yourself after?
I get that question a lot, and I really like the way Jack Johnson plays, where he is able to play strongly in his own zone as well as come up and get points as well.

#561 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

#562 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Might fall into the category of, "Why do we care?"....

But I was updating my list of Ducks property and prospects, and one guy seemed to just disappear. Sebastian Erixson, who we recieved in trade for Andrew Gordon last year.

According to TSN, the Ducks bought him out on 6/12/2012: http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=6406

However, there's no buy-out cost or cap hit listed on CapGeek....he just disappeared from their roster of players.

Rather strange.

Added:
Actually, CapGeek has a notation that, "Contract was terminated". http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=2001

Failure to report? Defected?

Anyway, don't buy a jersey.... :)

Added, added:
Already covered here: http://www.allducks....=0

(I feel like Columbus 'discovering' America....)

#563 ADHB

ADHB

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:hockey, baseball, and other interesting things

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm pretty sure Erixon went back to Europe. I know I read something like that in the last month. Don't ask me to dig up a link though. Not happening. :P

#564 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm pretty sure Erixon went back to Europe. I know I read something like that in the last month. Don't ask me to dig up a link though. Not happening. :P

There's a link in the first post of the last link I have above, for anyone who wants to read it.

I've been 'out of the loop' for the most part, and hit on some old news here. (What else is new? :) )

#565 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

CapGeek reporting that Rakell has signed an entry level contract:

CapGeek@capgeek
#NHL #NHLDucks sign draft pick Richard Rakell http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2309

twitter link

Think he's still too young for the AHL, however. Expect him to go back to juniors, and slip his new contract....

#566 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

CapGeek reporting that Rakell has signed an entry level contract:

[color=#ff3300]

Think he's still too young for the AHL, however. Expect him to go back to juniors, and slip his new contract....

That's good news, isn't it?

What do you mean that he will "slip his new contract"?

#567 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

That's good news, isn't it? What do you mean that he will "slip his new contract"?

Just like Etem, (and dozens before him), junior players often sign 3-year entry level contracts the year before they are actually expected to play in the team's organization. If they go back to juniors, the contract "slips" and becomes a 3-year starting the NEXT season.

In other words, any listing of Rakell's contract today will show "2012-13, 2013-14, and 2014-15" as the years it is in effect. However, assuming he actually plays in Juniors in 12-13, the contract slips to "2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16".

The advantage to the player, and the team, (besides having them locked up), is that any signing bonus paid in 2012-13 is removed from the overall contract $$, and the cap drops in the three years the contract is in effect. (Plus, the player gets a chunk of cash to play with).

Probably more than you asked for....

Added:

Here is Etem's CapGeek page as a good example: http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=2029

Note how his $90k signing bonus, (paid last year), suddenly disappears from the contract, and his cap hit falls from $900,000 to $870,000 per year when the contract is in effect.

#568 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

The Ducks also extended Luca Caputi‘s qualifying offer deadline to Aug. 1 in order to keep his rights. Caputi, 23, split time with Syracuse and the Toronto Marlies in the AHL and posted 12 goals and 13 assists in 60 games.

#569 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

Anaheim Ducks Top 10 Prospects
1. Rickard Rakell, Right Wing
2. Kyle Palmieri, Right Wing
3. William Karlsson, Center
4. Emerson Etem, Right Wing
5. Hampus Lindholm, Defense
6. Sami Vatanen, Defense
7. Peter Holland, Center
8. Nicolas Kerdiles, Left Wing
9. Max Friberg, Left Wing
10. John Gibson, Goaltender

Organizational Ranking: 8th

System Overview: Losing Justin Schultz to the Oilers was a big blow to the top of this system, but it remains very strong. Anaheim was 24th in Goals For, so it should reassure Ducks fans to know scoring talent is significant and aplenty in their pipeline. Players like Rickard Rakell, William Karlsson, and Emerson Etem may still need some more time, but Kyle Palmieri, Peter Holland, and Sami Vatanen are knocking on the door. They boast two very strong goalie prospects, too, in John Gibson and Frederik Anderson, to go along with newly-signed Viktor Fasth, who isn't eligible as a prospect. Anaheim lacks that elite prospect, but they have quite a few well above-average ones.

more here

#570 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

more here

I may have to start reading "Hockeyprospectus" more. I like seeing a different perspective on the kids than that provided by Hockey's Future. I kind of get the impression that HF leans toward "high scoring potential", where this list may be more slanted to overall NHL potential, even if it's solid two-way play.

Interesting that Rakell and Karlsson are rated so highly, and that Lindholm "out ranks" Vatanen, in their eyes.

#571 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,778 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

There was a nice article on Ducks selecting Lindholm in THN magazine that arrived yesterday.
Basically he was called a future franchise defenseman.

#572 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

USA Hockey makes first cuts

Here's a look at the trimmed-down roster:
GOALTENDERS-- John Gibson (Ducks), Jon Gillies (Flames), Garret Sparks (Maple Leafs), Anthony Stolarz (Flyers)
DEFENSEMEN-- Shayne Gostisbehere (Flyers), Matt Grzelcyk (Bruins), Garrett Haar (Capitals), Seth Jones (2013 Draft eligible), Jake McCabe (Sabres), Connor Murphy (Coyotes), Mike Reilly (Blue Jackets), Patrick Sieloff (Flames), Brady Skjei (Rangers), Jacob Trouba (Jets), Andrew Welinski (Ducks)
FORWARDS-- Cole Bardreau (free agent), Tyler Biggs (Maple Leafs), Colin Blackwell (Sharks), Reid Boucher (Devils), Travis Boyd (Capitals), Thomas Di Pauli (Capitals), Steve Fogarty (Rangers), Alex Galchenyuk (Canadiens), John Gaudreau (Flames), Ryan Hartman (2013 Draft eligible), Nicolas Kerdiles (Ducks), Sean Kuraly (Sharks), Mario Lucia (Wild), Stefan Matteau (Devils), J.T. Miller (Rangers), Stefan Noesen (Senators), Blake Pietila (Devils), Vince Trocheck (Panthers), Jimmy Vesey (Predators).

#573 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sweden, Finland boast WJC experience on rosters

Of the 23 Swedish players attending the camp, 16 have been drafted by NHL teams, including four first-round picks -- Zibanejad, Klefbom (Edmonton Oilers, 2011), defenseman Hampus Lindholm (Anaheim Ducks, 2012) and Forsberg (Washington Capitals, 2012).

#574 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

• Admin
  • 71,076 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Karlsson, a 2011 second-round pick of the Anaheim Ducks, kept that strong play going through the second half of his season in Sweden, and it carried into Sweden's game against Finland on Tuesday at Herb Brooks Arena -- he had a hat trick in an 8-2 win.
Madden said he expects Karlsson to spend at least one more season in Sweden, continue to develop, and potentially compete for a spot with the Ducks in 2013-14.

"I think the natural progression is for him to step up to the elite-league level in Sweden as a 19-year-old and play lots of important minutes there," Madden said. "I think he's able to do that. I think he's slotted in a second-line role to start the season there. And I think that's the best path for his development."

link

#575 Randy

Randy

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Admirals Hockey, kayaking

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

While I understand the benefits of the Euros playing in their home leagues, I'd like to see some of them over here getting time in the AHL. There will be some holes in Norfolk to fill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users