1178 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

Sooner or later Cam Fowler will be patrolling the Ducks' blueline. With all the expectation and even some hype, I decided to create a topic for him smile.gif If the mods want to move it to the Duck Eggs, especially if he doesn't make the team, please do.

The 18-year-old began his first training camp paired with veterans Andy Sutton and Paul Mara.

“Those guys really welcomed me and took me under their wing,” Fowler said. “They treated me just like a normal player and were talking to me on the bench.

“The team is not happy with last year. They are going to do everything they can to get the right guys in here. I’m just trying to do the best I can to try to make the lineup.”

Said Carlyle, “Obviously, with the turnover and changes that we’ve made, defense is an area that we need some young kids to step to the forefront. If Cam Fowler can continue to do the things he does best, which is skating and moving the puck, he’ll make it difficult on us and that is what you look for a player to do.”
Read More >>

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

I'm crossing my fingers to see him in the line-up. Of course only if he's ready, but I hope he's ready.

#3 Duckscrazy

Duckscrazy

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Interests:The Power Players

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

I can't wait to talk about Norris trophys and all star appearances in this thread. smile.gif

#4 DuckNewbie

DuckNewbie

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Kenny @ Sep 18 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm crossing my fingers to see him in the line-up. Of course only if he's ready, but I hope he's ready.

I'm with you....

Kind of a "Love the idea / Hate the idea" feeling. We really need what Fowler can bring...but I'm just not sure if he's ready to bring it right NOW.

We'll have to leave it to the Hockey Guys in the Ducks organization to make that decision....

#5 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

On the other hand I don't like the idea of him going back to juniors. I don't see what else he can do there to improve. Wish he could go to the AHL and develop there. We'll see I guess.

#6 ADHB

ADHB

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:hockey, baseball, and other interesting things

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Probably should give him the 10 games or whatever to give him some experience at this level. He may not be ready, but I don't believe he'll be overwhelmed either. Definitely needs to build strength, but his decision-making and poise is already on par with many NHL vets.

#7 Rooch20

Rooch20

Legend

• Members
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Sep 18 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the other hand I don't like the idea of him going back to juniors. I don't see what else he can do there to improve. Wish he could go to the AHL and develop there. We'll see I guess.

I can't say that I agree with you. I think he needs 1 year in juniors maybe to silence the people who thought he fed off of Taylor Hall. Him along with Matt Clark were consistently the best Ducks in that whole rookie tournament and it showed that Fowler can play with guys who are 2-3 years older than he is. But that rookie tourney in summary was only 3 games and I don't think we can judge Fowler's game in just 3 games. I think we need to see him, basically, tear up the OHL and be that defenseman that we hoped him to be before he could make the jump. From what I've heard, Scott Niedermayer needed a year to smoothly make the jump from juniors to the NHL.

BTW, I hear that some guys posted on HFboards saying that Sutton felt really comfortable playing with Fowler. If Fowler ends up living up to his potential, I'll be getting jitters. If that's true, it's very possible that that's our 2nd pairing defense. Here's crossing my fingers if that's true.

#8 DucksFan39

DucksFan39

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

I'm all for the 9 game try out, but I don't think his conditioning is at NHL standards right now

#9 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Anaheim Ducks, St. Louis Blues, and New England Patriots.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

Yay! We have a Fowler thread! I cannot wait until he finally earns a permanent spot in Anaheim (whichever year that is, I can wait). I am reserving the name on the back of my future alternate jersey just for him.

#10 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,496 posts
  • Interests:You don't care, and if you do, I pity you.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

It would seem that unless the injury to Toni Lydman is severe there is simply no place for Fowler on the Ducks this season.

Visnovsky
Lydman
Sutton
Mara
Sbisa
Brookbank

That's six guys right there who are all ahead of Fowler, an 18-year old, on the depth chart so while I expect him to get the nine-game tryout I don't think he'll be on the team come Halloween unless one of those six goes down with a serious injury.

That being said I am anxious to see how he performs against NHL players in the preseason games and I hope he gets as much ice time as possible.

#11 German Rocket #7

German Rocket #7

The gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:Guess what? It's hockey! x.x

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

I wouldn't exactly go that far to say they're all ahead of him. Mara and Brookbank definitely have more grit, but that's that already. Brookbank can be a big liability even on the third pairing and Mara is extremely injury prone as of now. As much as I do agree we lack some consequent grit on our own end, the much I do think that Fowler right now can already prove to be a great addition to our line-up, especially since the kid may not have bulked up enough to compete with any NHL player, but he is way faster than most other players - the often simply won't be able to hit him.

#12 DucksFan39

DucksFan39

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (SacredCow @ Sep 19 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would seem that unless the injury to Toni Lydman is severe there is simply no place for Fowler on the Ducks this season.

Visnovsky
Lydman
Sutton
Mara
Sbisa
Brookbank

And only one or two of those defensemen are puck movers, he has a distinct advantage for this team of above average puck moving and skating

#13 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,259 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

Cam Fowler, the Ducks' top draft pick who isn't old enough to play in the AHL and has nothing left to accomplish in junior hockey, is aiming for a spot on the varsity. Carlyle threw absolutely no cold water on that ambition.

"He has unique abilities that are above other people," Carlyle said, shrugging off the notion that Fowler can't physically restrain the wings he will face.

<link to OCR article posted in Media Roundup>

#14 DucksFan39

DucksFan39

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:04 AM

not to go off topic but it was interesting the writer noted Niedermayer was retired "as of right now"

#15 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,259 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

"Obviously, some things are going to be different for me from here on out," Fowler said. "I'm just trying to prove myself and show the Ducks that I belong here."

<link to LAT article posted in Media Roundup>

#16 pucky

pucky

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (German Rocket #7 @ Sep 19 2010, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't exactly go that far to say they're all ahead of him. Mara and Brookbank definitely have more grit, but that's that already. Brookbank can be a big liability even on the third pairing and Mara is extremely injury prone as of now.

I disagree. Brookbank gets a bad rap on every hockey board out there, and I just don't know why. He plays a safe style of defense. How was he a liability last year? He was out most consistent defender. Sure he takes a bad penalty every once in a while (usually sticking up for someone). Seems like just because he is one of the big name players and don't make a ton of money, he is labeled as a "bad" player.

#17 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Shadow of the Ducks

• Members
  • 62,085 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (Rooch20 @ Sep 18 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't say that I agree with you. I think he needs 1 year in juniors maybe to silence the people who thought he fed off of Taylor Hall. ... I think we need to see him, basically, tear up the OHL and be that defenseman that we hoped him to be before he could make the jump. From what I've heard, Scott Niedermayer needed a year to smoothly make the jump from juniors to the NHL.

I think he's "torn up" the AHL and also showed what he can do in the Jr. World's. I really don't know what else he can prove in juniors.

#18 SacredCow

SacredCow

Legend

• Mods
  • 5,496 posts
  • Interests:You don't care, and if you do, I pity you.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Sep 19 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he's "torn up" the AHL and also showed what he can do in the Jr. World's. I really don't know what else he can prove in juniors.

I agree that another year in juniors won't do Cam any good at all. But at the same time I'm not sure he's ready for the NHL on a full-time basis. It's a very tough decision for Carlyle & Murray to make.

#19 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

I think the trickiest part of the decision on Fowler is his physical maturity. It looks like his skills and brain are ready to compete in the Big Show, but if his muscle mass & related tendon strength and the like are not advanced for his age, I'd be very hesitant about putting him at risk with the raging herd out there for 82+ games.

Not to mother him, but let's be honest: this franchise dearly needs another elite defenseman. To rush the best talent we have right now, just because we have holes in our blueline, would be taking a HUGE risk with a gift that fell into our lap... if indeed he is on the other side of the physical maturity arrival line. I don't believe that he alone would make the difference of making the playoffs or not, so the risk might be greater than the reward in this case.

#20 DucksRule00

DucksRule00

2007 Stanley Cup Champions

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

If Ryan Ellis goes pro like many expect then I would have no problem giving Fowler another year in the OHL. Without Ellis Fowler would instantly become the go to guy in Windsor, and not be in Ellis or Hall's shadow.

#21 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (DucksRule00 @ Sep 19 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Ryan Ellis goes pro like many expect then I would have no problem giving Fowler another year in the OHL. Without Ellis Fowler would instantly become the go to guy in Windsor, and not be in Ellis or Hall's shadow.

That's a good point. And as hurtful to Cam as it would be to have him play in juniors again, being the #1 and go-to-guy on that team would give him a lot of confidence and it would also be a good test for him. I think we could learn a lot from having him in that kind of a situation.

#22 ZTHER

ZTHER

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Check us out at:<br /><br />http://myNHLdraft.com<br />http://myMLBdraft.com<br />http://myNBAdraft.com<br />http://myNFLdraft.com<br /><br />and at http://sportscity.com

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (pucky @ Sep 19 2010, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. Brookbank gets a bad rap on every hockey board out there, and I just don't know why. He plays a safe style of defense. How was he a liability last year? He was out most consistent defender. Sure he takes a bad penalty every once in a while (usually sticking up for someone). Seems like just because he is one of the big name players and don't make a ton of money, he is labeled as a "bad" player.

+1

Given his level of talent, and his salary, I think Brookbank was exceptional this past season. Obviously his ceiling is low, but he might have been one of the most improved Ducks on the team; his play was consistent and within his game...

~ Ian

#23 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,259 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

A message to Ducks fans from Cam Fowler.

#24 alexxx

alexxx

Back? Maybe? I'll give it a try.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

This kid had a pretty good night, second in ice time with 24:40 and an assist.

#25 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (DropThePuck @ Sep 20 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A message to Ducks fans from Cam Fowler.

I'm not seeing it. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users