1663 replies to this topic

#1 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Now that Ryan Getzlaf has been given the C, it's probably time for his own thread.

He's obviously the Ducks most talented and complete player (and a lot of people would qualify that statement with "when he wants to be"), and the one guy who is key to our success more than any other on the roster.

And as much as I hate to start off the thread with a negative, how long is he going to continue to be a numbskull?

Not only has he been running his mouth on the ice as usual, he hasn't backed any of his newly-given power up. Zero points in the first three games of the new season and his captaincy, and more importantly zero wins and zero standing-points.

If that's not enough, he starts a fight with an opponent in a game where his team is flat being out-played, out-hustled, out-classed... you name it... right at a time where his rearguard is in deep ca-ca because of the loss of a key member that INJURED HIMSELF DOING THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

Hello?

#2 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Anaheim Ducks, St. Louis Blues, and New England Patriots.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Yeah... There's really too much to criticize Getzlaf for at this point... But I suppose he's not the only one. Still, he needs to step it up (and that is possibly the understatement of the year).

#3 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

As corny and cliched as it sounds, it's time for him to "man up", in every sense of the word.

He needs to start expressing himself, leading his teammates, and dominating with his play. Period.

The only guys who get talked about as good leaders who are not mentioned as leading with their play, or leading by example, are clear-cut character guys. Role players. Hustle guys. Guys like Todd Marchant.

All the guys mentioned as "leading by example" are skill guys. This should be Getzlaf's category.

#4 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

well, the whole team is frustrated, and he is not the pacifier like neidermayer was, he shows emotion and reacts to it...i agree that he hasnt been quite captain material yet, but dammit its been only 3 games

#5 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, the whole team is frustrated, and he is not the pacifier like neidermayer was, he shows emotion and reacts to it...i agree that he hasnt been quite captain material yet, but dammit its been only 3 games

Yeah, I'm not meaning to totally dump on him, but...

Am I the only one that thought his attempted fight that got Paul Mara ejected from our last game was about as dillweed as could be?

Has he not noticed Andy Sutton's absence? Has he no clue how that came about?

Have he and Bob Murray been attending Acme Logic Seminars together, or what???

#6 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

well he is a power foward, and power foward fight from time to time, we have seen him drop the gloves several times and give a pounding to the other player...we didnt complain when he dropped the gloves against no show joe and I think that was way more of a risk then it was against st. louis...Sutton got injured because he is a dumba* and doesnt know how to fight, i think getzy knows hot to throw a punch or two

#7 QuackHead

QuackHead

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

I think some of Mara's comments about the 3rd man were meant to indirectly speak to Getzlaf. I'm sure most of the team, especially the other vets are thinking the same thing. There's also a reason Koivu and Selanne got the A's and not Perry. RC knows how Getzlaf is out there on the ice. Yes the players voted him in but RC definately chose those two to help teach Ryan how to lead. I hope the two A's have sat down with Ryan by now and told him to change his attitude.

Koivu should be Captain but I doubt RC would strip Getz.

#8 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

i find you guys fascinating hahaha, strip him of the C after 3 games...what a joke!

#9 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Sutton got injured because he is a dumba* and doesnt know how to fight, i think getzy knows hot to throw a punch or two

Sutton is the dumba*?

Check the record, and you will find that Sutton does know how to fight. He's done quite a bit of it.

And which key player was missing at the time Getzlaf accepted Jumbo's invite due to being injured fighting?

(don't miss the underlined part. It's my main point)

#10 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,636 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well he is a power foward, and power foward fight from time to time, we have seen him drop the gloves several times and give a pounding to the other player...

i think the message is a bit different. when he fought joe it was a top dog showing off.
last game it was a mutt who is no bite but all bark.

#11 QuackAttack90

QuackAttack90

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i find you guys fascinating hahaha, strip him of the C after 3 games...what a joke!

Never deserved the C in the first place. Just curious can anyone post Mara's third man in comments that were mentioned above?

#12 ADHB

ADHB

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:hockey, baseball, and other interesting things

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (QuackHead @ Oct 12 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some of Mara's comments about the 3rd man were meant to indirectly speak to Getzlaf. I'm sure most of the team, especially the other vets are thinking the same thing. There's also a reason Koivu and Selanne got the A's and not Perry. RC knows how Getzlaf is out there on the ice. Yes the players voted him in but RC definately chose those two to help teach Ryan how to lead. I hope the two A's have sat down with Ryan by now and told him to change his attitude.

Koivu should be Captain but I doubt RC would strip Getz.

Agree with this. Mara is one of the few guys thus far with a team-first attitude, and his actions/words bear that out. I also took his comments as an indirect missile fired at Getzlaf.

For those who wanted to read his comments, follow this link:

http://ducks.ocregis...af-fight/46090/

#13 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

getzlaf is a key player, how many points did he score that game?

And before this turns out the be a war of who should be captain...you dont take the C away from a guy after 3 games, you say he didnt deserve it, well the team did so your point matter nothing to me!! so lets just leave it at that!

#14 Reb

Reb

DUCK!

• Mods
  • 10,482 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, keeping body and soul together, reading, DVD's, Pool,pool right here in river city.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (ADHB @ Oct 12 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with this. Mara is one of the few guys thus far with a team-first attitude, and his actions/words bear that out. I also took his comments as an indirect missile fired at Getzlaf.

Thank you ADHB for posting the link. It's very telling. stache-ban.gif

#15 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,636 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (ADHB @ Oct 12 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my respect for Mara just went up 100000 notches.
great guy.

#16 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (ADHB @ Oct 12 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. I already liked Mara, but he just gained a lot more of my respect.

#17 QuackAttack90

QuackAttack90

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Captain-Crunch @ Oct 12 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. I already liked Mara, but he just gained a lot more of my respect.

agreed.

#18 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And before this turns out the be a war of who should be captain...you dont take the C away from a guy after 3 games, you say he didnt deserve it, well the team did so your point matter nothing to me!! so lets just leave it at that!

Dude are you Getzlaf? You seem to take any jab at him extremely personal, relax.....

#19 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,636 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no you don't rip the C off the guy... but i hope someone shoves a hockey stick... and turns it few times...

team needs to wake up. and it has to start with the captain. it's not just a letter that lets you talk to the officials and take an honorary FO from the Governator.
he needs to get in the different mindset and he needs to get the team in that same mindset.
they have to play like it's March.
desperation and frustration are different thing. i saw (and heard) frustration. i'd like to see desperation and the team willing the win to happen.

#20 mighty all the way

mighty all the way

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (RGS_Quack93 @ Oct 12 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude are you Getzlaf? You seem to take any jab at him extremely personal, relax.....

That would be awesome if Getzlaf followed allducks. anaoa4.gif anaoa4.gif

#21 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (HillerGirl @ Oct 12 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no you don't rip the C off the guy... but i hope someone shoves a hockey stick... and turns it few times...

team needs to wake up. and it has to start with the captain. it's not just a letter that lets you talk to the officials and take an honorary FO from the Governator.
he needs to get in the different mindset and he needs to get the team in that same mindset.
they have to play like it's March.
desperation and frustration are different thing. i saw (and heard) frustration. i'd like to see desperation and the team willing the win to happen.

see now this i agree with...he should definatly get a yelling, but straight up take his C is stupid

And RGS, i am calm, i just find it dumb to take his C away after 3 games, so i think you should relax to buddy, I gave my opinion and i left it at that, now please i want to see how many more people want to strip getzlaf of the C, its quite entertaining to me

#22 Captain-Crunch

Captain-Crunch

Captain Duck

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

h2d, Nobody said they should take away his 'C' already. People have said he never deserved it in the first place, and that he needs to show he deserves it, but nobody said it should be taken away. You're kinda arguing against nobody.

#23 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Captain-Crunch @ Oct 12 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
h2d, Nobody said they should take away his 'C' already. People have said he never deserved it in the first place, and that he needs to show he deserves it, but nobody said it should be taken away. You're kinda arguing against nobody.

ok...cool clapping.gif

#24 QuackHead

QuackHead

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he keeps this up he should be stripped. His attitude and actions are hurting the team. Team 1st.

I want to give him more time. However, a higher standard for captaining this team must be maintained. Right now Getzlaf is no where near it.

#25 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (QuackHead @ Oct 12 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he keeps this up he should be stripped. His attitude and actions are hurting the team. Team 1st.

I want to give him more time. However, a higher standard for captaining this team must be maintained. Right now Getzlaf is no where near it.

i agree with the bolded area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users