1663 replies to this topic

#1326 Sloth

Sloth

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I know this is a Getzlaf thread and for just this one moment I will indulge on this tangent. My biggest concern isnt Fowler. He has taken over top line duty in his second year when he shouldnt be that guy at this point in his career. The big problem here is Visnovsky and Lydman.

Lydman failed to rest his injured shoulder and started this year while still in recovery. Is it any wonder he ended this year with an undisclosed upper body injury. He went from being on our top line with 25 points, 3 of them being goals, and having one of the highest +/- in the league. This year he ended the season with 13 points, 0 goals, and playing on the 3rd line.

Lubo had 2 busted shoulders and elected to play for Slovakia when the Preds eliminated us. The hand injury helped mask the fact that Lubo failed, just like Lydman, to adequately rest his injuries. That has been the reason in my mind in him dropping to the 2nd line. His shot has not been there this year for the simple fact that his shoulders are not at 100%. Its a shame, for Fowler as well, that Beauchemin was our leading goal scorer from the blue line with 8 goals.

I come down harder on Lubo here simply because Lydman's +/- was a product of Perry and Visnovsky's scoring (they combined for something like 70 goals). Lubo had to come out this year as our top defensemen because we are paying him top line money, he is suppose to mentor Fowler, and he is suppose to lead the defensemen in goals. It would be foolish to think he can make a repeat of 10-11 but the drop off rate has been significant in points (68/27).

#1327 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

FAs to target:

Suter
Parise
Jokinen
Wideman
Jackman
Carle
Chris Kelly
Boyes
Stoll
Hudler
David Jones
Harding
Chris Mason
Vokoun

Prospects to bring up/step up:

Palmieri
Etem
DSP
Holland
#6 pick
Fasth
Vatanen

Prospects to trade:

Palmieri
Bonino
Holland
#6 pick
Vatanen

Vets to resign:

Selanne
Koivu

Vets to deal:

Visnovsky
Lydman

This is where GM's earn their pay. If you can't take those potential moves, add them to:

Getzlaf
Perry
Ryan
Fowler
Beacuhemin
Sbisa
Cogliano
Hiller

and have a real, no BS, honest-to-goodness "competitive" team, then you're doing it wrong.

Oh, and don't forget Schultz..........

My whole point on this OT rant is, you can't trade Getzlaf and get better, imo. Not how this team is currently. Not deep enough.

PHI could trade Carter and Richards. They got back good players, but they were also plenty deep enough to absorb those transitions. The Ducks are not.

#1328 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

So let me be Bob Murray for a second and respond to your list:

Vets to keep:

All of them except Getlzalf and/or Ryan. They all hustled and were good in the room and that Andrew Cogliano is sure speedy, isn't he? Teemu said it best, we can win with these guys. Look at what's happening now, we would be dominating that Pitt/Philly series with all our goal scoring potential. Can you imagine Etem and Palimieri and Bonino potting 3 goals a game and beating up Malkin and that sort of thing? Look at how great we were down the stretch, something like 8 games over .500 with BB at the helm. What it comes down to is this: Trade Getzlaf cause he won't shoot enough and then all is solved.

Rookies to become stars:

Palms, Hollsie, "Eats" and Disco Dispy aka DSP Devo baby! What I'll do is draft Grigorenko he's NHL ready so we probably can trade Matty Ballsy Beleskey for one of these guys scoring all the goals in Philly, I don't know Schenn or Simmonds or someone like that. On D we are stacked, it's a strength really but even so I heard that Edmonton is souring on the guy they drafted in the first round 7 years ago so maybe I'll scoop him up/

Free Agents to Target:

This kid Justin Schultz becomes a UFA on June or July 1, I forget which. I will make a play for him. Interesting sidenote, did you know he was once Duck property? YES! Yes he was, amazing, right?

Vets to deal:

I think it's sign and trade time with Brookbank. If I get him for 3 years, 2.5 a year, I'm pretty sure Burkie is in and I can get someone he is overpaying back.

Internal Cap:

Not to worry. Getz and Perry are signed for like 12 whole more months. If it's not broke, baby, don't fix it.

Other options:

Keep Getzlaf, switch him to wing, which is a shooters position so he'll have to shoot more. Trade Ryan to Burkie for Gardiner.

#1329 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,765 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Was that a three, or four martini lunch there, guys?

#1330 beasy1975

beasy1975

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Interests:Hockey and hockey and some baseball

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I have 2 issues trading BR to Toronto for Gardiner. First off BR has been our most consistent players over the last few years. Scoring 30+ goals over the last 4 years. Secondly, if Teemu retires and doesnt come back then our Offense is in a world of trouble.

I would only want to keep Koivu if Teemu comes back or is a huge discount. We also need to keep Brooky if the D stays the same. If we can get Shultz and another 2 dmen and trade LYDMAN then thanks for all your hard work Brooky.

#1331 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have 2 issues trading BR to Toronto for Gardiner. First off BR has been our most consistent players over the last few years. Scoring 30+ goals over the last 4 years. Secondly, if Teemu retires and doesnt come back then our Offense is in a world of trouble.

Trading Ryan to TOR for Gardiner is a joke. He's making fun of BM's ability to build an NHL team. All of those suggestions LGD.com made are sarcasm.

#1332 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,277 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Captain cowboy rockin' the baby carrier too. Giddy-up daddy! :D

Posted Image

#1333 rollingdux

rollingdux

Legend

• Members
  • 7,390 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Idk about everyone else here, but I think Getzy is hot. :dribble: ...... sorry.... I'll go away now.

#1334 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,277 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Posted Image

#1335 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,765 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Captain cowboy rockin' the baby carrier too. Giddy-up daddy! :D

Getzy gettin his cotton-pickin, chicken-lickin Hip Honk on.

What a great dad he is. He's got his best bud with him.

#1336 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,639 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Idk about everyone else here, but I think Getzy is hot. :dribble: ...... sorry.... I'll go away now.

Getzy is very good looking... until he takes his lid off (be it cap, helmet or cowboy hat)
just shave it off already!

#1337 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Looks like Getzlaf is headed to Nashville or Calgary after this season. ;)

#1338 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,765 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Looks like Getzlaf is headed to Nashville or Calgary after this season. ;)

Or become a rhinestone cowboy at NYR or LAK.

#1339 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Chris Johnston
Ryan Getzlaf named captain of Canada at the world championship. Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp will be alternates.

#1340 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think it's about the time the "getzlaf is lazy" crowd issues me an apology.

Chris Johnston
Ryan Getzlaf named captain of Canada at the world championship. Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp will be alternates.

#1341 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

why? he's been named the captain of a World team... where few years ago Perry at 25 was a seasoned veteran and experienced winner.

it's not a redemption of his underachieving season. (which is a reason for "Getzlaf is lazy" philosophy)

#1342 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

What the hell is it then? They name him CAPTAIN of an international ice hockey team from, of all places, CANADA. You don't think that speaks to his effort level? The constant whining about him being a bad captain? The crazy calls to strip him of the C and trade him? Please.

I was kidding, of course, about the apology, but I"m really shocked you won't acknowledge the fact that this is NOT the type of thing that happens to a lazy selfish guy ..

#1343 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

you are treating the word "lazy" in his case too literal.

like i said. in his case lazy = underachieving. and in this season MAJOR underachieving.

Canada never took Worlds seriously... treating it as a international baptism for kids... so why should i?

#1344 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Please. Have you seen the rest of the roster? Getzlaf is the only one that's won a Stanley Cup AND is a current NHL captain. He got the 'C' by default. Besides, who named him as the Captain? Did the players vote on it? Him beating out such luminaries as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Mark Methot, Jeff Skinner, Ted Purcell and Ryan O'Reilly really proves a lot. :rolleyes:

#1345 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,277 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

"It was a nice honor to be named that," Getzlaf said. "It's always something that you kind of strive for. I look forward to the challenge of the tournament. We've got a whole group of leaders and you've just got to kind of lead by example and make sure we're doing the right things."

link

#1346 mighty all the way

mighty all the way

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I agree with lgd.com

I watch Getzlaf play and he doesn't look lazy to me, he tries being to fancy and unselfish. But I don't see him being lazy. Yes he underachieved but he had a lot of bad luck. Remember that game where he had the empty net and missed, his reaction to that told me everything that he has gone through this last season. He'll bounce back, but just a bad season.

I don't doubt his leadership either, if BB says he's the best captain he's had, RC named him captain, and now he's captain for Canada, that should tell you his leadership isn't a problem.

P.S.-He was also captain in juniors but was stripped of the C, but learned from that experience and I believe if I remember right he got it back.

#1347 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

I don't think Getzlaf is lazy. I also don't think him being named the captain of Team Canada in the World Championships means a damned thing. He's a good center but he's not an elite center in my opinion.

I'm clear on what I expect from him going forward: less than a PPG and never again reaching his career highs in either goals (25) or points (91). That said I believe he'd be among the best 2nd line centers in the league from now on. I also believe he'll be one of the worst 1st line centers in league from now on, as he was this past season, because he doesn't score enough goals and he's not any good at face-offs. He's not going to get any faster, either, and he's already slow compared to most first line forwards in the league.

Getzlaf is about to turn 27 and through seven NHL seasons he has one season of 83+ points. That's pathetic for a guy with his talent and since I believe that he'll never score 82+ points again I think it's incredible that he's going to play his career without ever truly becoming the player we all thought he was.

#1348 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Him beating out such luminaries as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Mark Methot, Jeff Skinner, Ted Purcell and Ryan O'Reilly really proves a lot. :rolleyes:

i'm a bit surprised he was named before Sharpie, actually. he too is a great player, very important to his team, SC champion, a bit older... very much captain material.

#1349 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

Oh come on Troy, it's an all star roster. List the rest of the names! He was selected captain because he's a leader on a national team full of NHL stars.

#1350 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,765 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

Being chose as captain of any Canadian all-star hockey team is a vote of confidence, no matter how you cut it.

That being said, I think Getzlaf still has something to prove as far as being captain of the Anaheim Ducks. His teams have had poor starts to each season he's worn the C, and those poor starts have included a strong component of lack of readiness and/or lack of effort... something which he's been cited in the past for being guilty of. He lost his last captaincy because of it.

Now that he has a new coach to start the next season under, I think it will be a real test for his leadership. There will be no good excuse this time around if he and his team don't come out of the gate with more fire... especially right off the get-go when the puck drops to start each game. They have been consistently guilty of allowing their opponents to dominate the starts of games early in the season, and having to play catch up the rest of the game. And it has translated right over to the standings and the season.

I do think that Getzy did have a heap of bad luck last season in his personal game, but I don't accept at all that the poor efforts at the starts of games has anything to do with luck, or having bad teammates. He started games slowly himself, and that's all on him. He's got to change that. He can no longer fail to be ready for games... especially since he's already copped to it, and promised to not let it happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users