303 replies to this topic

#201 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

His number one priority is to get an NBA team in HC, not the Ducks. You can bet if he ever does, he will completely let the Ducks get run into the ground, or maybe even relocated. I thought he was going to be a great owner, but he's not a hockey fan except when he was lucky enough for the Ducks to win him the Stanley Cup in his second year as the owner.

#202 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think Samueli is a hands off owner who is very loyal to the people he's hired. That's his shortcoming, in my opinion, that he's not willing to hold anyone accountable for their actions nor the performance of the team. I think he cares about the Ducks and that he's a hockey fan that wants them to succeed but he's not a cut throat type of guy that is going to be like Jerry Jones and start telling career NHL men how to do their jobs.

#203 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

I am more concerned about Henry Samueli being a good businessman than a Ducks fan or his personal loyalties.

The former would take care of the latter, and the further downhill the Ducks Brand goes, the less his investment is worth.

#204 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I can only guess, but I think he and Bob and Schulman look around the arena on awful nights like Sunday and think ... hey man this NHL ain't so bad. Even when we suck we fill the seats! Carry on Bob, you are doing a great job under the internal cap.

I mean, it MUST be that, right? Otherwise he'd be in the press assuring Duck fans that this wont' last, that we will be back and don't worry, we'll stop with these fiascos where the opposing team takes over our arena. Right?

#205 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Now that's an awful thought (them thinking this is acceptable).

In any event, there has got to be some serious smoke being blown up some tushes.

#206 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

To be fair to them, there were a lot of Bruin fans at Staples on Saturday. I'm guessing the "brass" thinks that it's normal.

But King fans, nutty and obnoxious as they are and with a fighting chance for the playoffs and and owner investing big in the team, they fought back. At least. Our fans didn't, or couldn't, or didn't want to. It's not "cool" to be a Duck fan anymore - and though 19 years later that's clearly not why *I* am a Duck fan - being "cool" and "good" are what gets the arena going, sells tickets and keeps these Boston fans quiet.

Maybe ... I hope it's not so, but maybe ... having a safe and easy payroll, a bunch of corporate season ticket holders, the few die-hard fans and selling out all the Chicago, LA, Detr, Boston etc games ... while watching the franchise value go from 70 to 200 million ... and cashing in on the arena and parking etc .. maybe that's more profitable than trying to sell tickets to actual Duck fans?

#207 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I see what you're saying, but the Brian Burke hire tells me something different.

If that was the mentality with this ownership and top management, Burke would never have come here in a thousand years.

I fully expect Bob Murray to be fired soon after the season is over.

At least in my mind's eye.

Bring in Paul Fenton as the new GM. Hell, give David McNab a crack at it. Anything short of Pierre Gauthier would be an improvement. Dean Lombardi will be looking for work quite possibly.

#208 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I agree with you. I'm not accepting that I"m right about their perspective and certainly I'd be furious if I am in fact right. I'm just trying to figure out what the hell they are thinking.

#209 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

No, I know you don't actually think that and are just grasping at straws trying to figure out WTH is going on up there in the owner's box.

The scary part is that you just might have come up with a plausible explanation.

It's almost as if Bob Murray is the new haberdasher for the Emperor. The guy's ding dong is flapping in the breeze, but he thinks he looks great.

#210 mransr

mransr

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'm telling you...something about Samueli's relationship with the NHL changed after the suspension over the Broadcom stuff; his involvement in the Ducks hasn't been the same since

#211 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

There are a lot of fair weather fans in southern California, and then the Ducks have to compete with the Kings, Lakers, Angels, Dodgers, USC, UCLA and now even the Clippers. These type of fans want to see a winning team; that's what puts people in the seats. The slow starts every season and missing the playoffs for two years (and being one and one in two playoff series), hasn't helped to keep the non-die hard fans interested. If the Ducks had a contending team every year, they could have built a stronger fan base, but they haven't been able to sustain momentum they had from the 2003 SCFs appearance (a bad season and then the lockout) and the two strong seasons in 2005-06 and 2006-07.

The NHL business model isn't the same as a normal business model, or even the professional sports business model because there isn't as much t.v., advertising and merchandising revenue as in other professional sports. The NHL depends largely on gate sales, and other and revenue or revenue sharing from concessions, parking, etc. If you don't put butts in the seats, you aren't going to be generating enough revenue. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, that just means the revenue hole is that much bigger. On top of all of this, there are just going to be years where you aren't going to make a profit even if you make the playoffs.

Dear Henry: It's a winning team, stupid.

#212 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm telling you...something about Samueli's relationship with the NHL changed after the suspension over the Broadcom stuff; his involvement in the Ducks hasn't been the same since

I've had the same impression as well.

Since he plead guilty to a felony, maybe he feels more sympatico with the NBA crowd... :sarcasm:

(although as it turned out, the judge didn't accept his plea)

#213 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I've had the same impression as well.

Since he plead guilty to a felony, maybe he feels more sympatico with the NBA crowd...

(although as it turned out, the judge didn't accept his plea)

:bag:

Hey, he should feel right at home with his LAK counterparts, although to be fair, Anschutz only paid a hefty multi-million dollar fine to weasel his way of his Qwest insider trading problems. But Bruce did get sent to the slammer.

#214 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hey, he should feel right at home with his LAK counterparts, although to be fair, Anschutz only paid a hefty multi-million dollar fine to weasel his way of his Qwest insider trading problems. But Bruce did get sent to the slammer.

That's true.

There's plenty of other (ex-)NHL owners who are felons, caught in the act or not.

I just still have major heartburn over the transparent fraud the Ducks PR is foisting on us NHL fans regarding the arena improvements that are for the purpose of the NBA aspirations of our owner, not for hockey. When I see Samueli rubbing shoulders so hard with the NBA (while the Ducks brand smolders in the meantime), he can wear that association like a scarlet letter, as far as I'm concerned.

#215 RGS_Quack93

RGS_Quack93

Destiny is Heart, Sacrifice and Passion

• Members
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

His number one priority is to get an NBA team in HC, not the Ducks. You can bet if he ever does, he will completely let the Ducks get run into the ground, or maybe even relocated. I thought he was going to be a great owner, but he's not a hockey fan except when he was lucky enough for the Ducks to win him the Stanley Cup in his second year as the owner.

Im sorry but I might be the odd man out here. Samueli pursuing a NBA team for me is actually very positive. The pursuit of a NBA team is actually on hold here considering the #1 candidate re-upped with their current city and there probably isnt anything going on for at least the next couple years.

If Samueli is able to get a NBA team in the building, or even be able to own/part own that team adds revenue for the company and owner. A higher revenue means more money to spend all over.

Even without the NBA team, the added revenue from the additions, that the public can access without going to games, only adds to the business. This is a great business move.

If trying to acquire a NBA team means the internal cap for Ducks is down for a couple of years so that they can make the business moves they need to, the Ducks profit int he long run. I wish they would come out and say it this way, but if the additions to HC and the acquisition of a NBA team means more money to spend on all teams down the road, this is nothing but good.

Just think about it from a non Ducks fan perspective for a minute. You add another professional sports team to the building. The revenue for the building goes up. You add a restaurant, bar, store or whatever that is open to the public 365 days a year regardless of teh events going on, revenue goes up. You now have more money in your bank account which allows you to spend more money in order to improve on the products you host and or own, on top of the building itself.

Also, if you continue to improve the building, you dont have to worry as much about tearing down the building in the future to rebuild, potentially causing the teams to move if the city doesnt approve because YOU as the owner are taking on the improvements yourself. Just look at teams like the Sac Kings, Min Vikings and the best example the Seattle Super Sonics. These teams either considered moving or HAD to move because they were in crap stadiums/buildings and the cities were reluctant or flat out declined to upgrade or build new.

#216 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Also, if you continue to improve the building, you dont have to worry as much about tearing down the building in the future to rebuild, potentially causing the teams to move if the city doesnt approve because YOU as the owner are taking on the improvements yourself. Just look at teams like the Sac Kings, Min Vikings and the best example the Seattle Super Sonics. These teams either considered moving or HAD to move because they were in crap stadiums/buildings and the cities were reluctant or flat out declined to upgrade or build new.

I see what you're saying and understand the positives of an NBA tenant in the HC.

But can you honestly disassociate the plunge of the hockey franchise and the concurrent pursuit of an NBA team? I certainly can't.

If the situation with the hockey operations was anything short of the train wreck it currently is, fine. However, the hockey business is in such a state of fail right now that there is no explanation that excuses ownership from responsibility in the recession of the Ducks. From attendance, to team performance, to fanbase disatisfaction (not only with the product they are getting for their dollar, but the treatment, or lack thereof, we now receive from management). The only concerted effort made in communication now is from the sales department.

The operative word for this hockey franchise right now is NEGLECT.

From having the guts to make moves now that are best for the future of this organization (the last two offseasons and the recent trade deadline inactivity are prime examples, as is the neglect of arena improvements for ice hockey that have left the ice surface to be the second-worst in the league), to communicating with the loyal customers who pay your bills and line your pocketbooks, to communicating with future customers through PR, through being consistent with your approach from top to bottom, the Ducks and the Ducks brand are suffering from major neglect all the way up the chain of command to the top.

The Ducks brand is undeniably in a state of disrepair right now, and being neglected by top management... but they sure are trying to woo an NBA team. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

#217 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I think Henry Sameuli can chew gum and walk at the same time. He's never been hands on as owner of the Ducks. The reason that the Ducks won the Cup is not because the Samueli's cared more about the fortunes of the team back then it's because they hired a competent GM and they let him do his job without interfering. The reason this team sucks right now is not because the Samueli's care less, or are distracted, it's because they hired an incompetent GM and are letting him do his job without interfering. The Samueli's actions have not changed. The only variable is the competence of the GM.

#218 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think Henry Sameuli can chew gum and walk at the same time. He's never been hands on as owner of the Ducks. The reason that the Ducks won the Cup is not because the Samueli's cared more about the fortunes of the team back then it's because they hired a competent GM and they let him do his job without interfering. The reason this team sucks right now is not because the Samueli's care less, or are distracted, it's because they hired an incompetent GM and are letting him do his job without interfering. The Samueli's actions have not changed. The only variable is the competence of the GM.

I see RGS's point and it's not one I thought of before.

But I agree with TL too. I remember Burke constantly complimenting Samueli "every time I go ask for something he asks me 'will it make us better' I say 'yes, Mr. Samueli' and he says 'go for it'. He almost would back Samueli into a corner on this stuff and, at least according to Burke, Samueli never once told him no to anything.

I think if BM were in there pounding on the table saying "I need to be able to do this" or "I need some money to do that" he'd be getting a lot of "well Bob it's on your head if it doesn't work, but OK, you got it".

#219 JUStheDUCKS

JUStheDUCKS

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

well if i win the $640 million dollars tonight i'll buy the Ducks from Henry and Allducks will run the team!!!

#220 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

When is Henry Samueli going to wake up and realize he's got a running engagement of the Boob Murray and Captain Getzgaffe Show going ???

The Ducks Brand is going retro... back to the Disney comedy division.

Thinking of where we were 5 years ago, and the promise of a Stanley Cup Championship shine on the organization, this is just plain sickening.

#221 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I remember arguing with King fans ... and Duck fans too .. about how we were the best team in the league for going on a decade. They instantly would say BS that is not right. And I'd say "NAME THE TEAM BETTER". The only team during this time with a better playoff record was New Jersey. We were in fact ... from 03-09 .. among the top teams in the league in regular season record, in playoff record. We won a Cup, we got to game 7 and in a third year we got to the WCFinals. This was NOT just a fluke year with Pronger/Neidermayer it was 6 or 7 years of constantly being a threat to win a Cup.

Our playoff record during those years? I mean once we separated from the pack and only played the best and hottest teams going? Anything over .500 would be great in those circumstances, even for a good team, right? Well our playoff record was 46-29.

Think about that. FOURTY SIX PLAYOFF WINS. Just 29 losses. Over a 7 year span.

It's not the Oilers or Islanders of decades ago, but face it NO ONE is those teams anymore.

It's all gone.

"Internal cap" "we have such great prospects" "oh goody we might get in the lottery" "I hope Justin Schultz likes us" "we aren't in that market" "what damage these heroic boys would do if they only got in the playoffs"

AWFUL.

And watching us get upstaged by the Kings and Sharks. Did you see that crazy game last night? FORE!

#222 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Great stats and spot on with the conclusion.

It seems like so many people have forgotten that run, and are now happy nibbling on the spoiled rations that this current hockey franchise feeds us... all the while insulting us with their bs PR (read propaganda) and attempts to extract more money out of our pockets for a lesser product.

And I did see that game. Wild & Crazy... The fans at the Stapler definitely got their money's worth, even if they didn't know what they were looking at and were there to join in the Jr highschool chants.

Meanwhile, the Ducks were playing a meaningless game in another town, with their coach giving the glowing report that the fans DIDN'T get their money's worth, and the team captain won the game they should have lost by a default goal because he had nobody to pass the puck to.

It's gotten so bad that we don't even yell "Duck!" anymore... we yell "Fore!"

*bad attempt at humorous relief*

#223 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

It sucks.

Change it up.

Thank you.

- The fans

#224 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Mr. Samueli, how about lighting a fire under our GM's seat like this:

STATEMENT FROM THE OWNERSHIP GROUP OF SHARKS SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT:

“The on-ice results of our team this season are not acceptable to our fans, our organization or our ownership group. We will not lower our expectation that every San Jose Sharks team we put on the ice is capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Despite the fact that our team has experienced a tremendous amount of success over the past eight seasons, we are not satisfied with those results and neither is Doug. The ownership group has confidence that Doug will make the necessary changes to ensure our club remains among the NHL’s elite franchises.”

??????????????????????????????

Do we, as devoted Ducks fans and customers of your business, deserve a standard of excellence like they hold to in San Jose?

#225 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,055 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I mentioned it somewhere else, and it might be a bad example because Toronto has been ridiculously bad, but Burke made essentially the same statement to the Toronto fans.

Is it just lip service? Maybe. But at least it's that. All we get is ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users