303 replies to this topic

#226 DuckNoire

DuckNoire

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

I love the Ducks but the management is just awful. We get no word from owner or GM about the season or whatever is going on. The only time I see Samueli is when they put on another useless charity event so he can put his face in the camera. And Bob Murray is the most invisible GM in the NHL. What is that Hobbit doing with his time? Eating cookies?

Say what you want about the Canadian teams, but at least the Fans get to know what is going on.

#227 Sloth

Sloth

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Im surprised as well. All the media pundits were surprised Anaheim was were it was more so than any other team. They also expected Anaheim to have some of the most sought after players in the TD. The Sharks are apologetic but in all honesty they need to retool because after 8 years and no cup its time for some big moves. We on the other hand won the cup and after 5 years are bottom feeders.

BM has not come out and said what our plan is. Are we going tougher, faster, or whatever. What is our plan with Koivu especially since he said he is willing to sign on as a 3rd line center. If you fail to make the playoffs, especially being the most successful California franchise, the least you can do is make a press conference to apologize to the fans. That is what a franchise that has high expectations does.

#228 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Bob Murray hasn't come out and said what our plan is because he doesn't have a plan. Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

#229 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Bob Murray has never really "come out and said what our plan is", has he?

He couldn't even answer the question about what kind of team character/identity he wants in Anaheim.

Plan Sham. If you don't know where you're going, you sure as hell don't have a plan on how to get there.

Murray flies by the seat of his pants as far as roster composition. He ain't got no steenking plan.

That's exactly why he is not effectively proactive. He waits until the wheel falls off to change a tire.

#230 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Are we gonna get younger? Are we gonna try and keep the boys around for another go at it? Are we gonna consider changing the core? Is the new "happy" era of BB going to bring about a new style, and thus some new players?

Are we gonna get bigger? Faster? Tougher? Are we going to do something to try and avoid yet another slow start?

Are we just supposed to shut up and buy tickets and let him worry about it?

WTF!!!!

#231 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

...Are we just supposed to shut up and buy tickets and let him worry about it?

That's the exact s*y position Samueli is putting us in.

WTF!!!!

Yup.

And the worst of it is that as far as we all know, the Samuelis are just fine with deterioration of the Ducks brand the last 5 years.

Instead of holding up a standard like the SJS ownership did, as well as TOR and other organizations, we get silence.

I'm still harboring hope that the silence is linked to the playoffs, and as soon as NSH's season is over, we see Paul Fenton replace Bob Murray as our GM. I want to believe that Henry Samueli is a better businessman than what we're seeing with his present tolerance of the leader he put in place.

#232 DuckNoire

DuckNoire

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Bob Murrays plan: "Sign cheap Players. Hope everything turns out okay and keep out of sight". I bet he hates the Draft because he needs to go out in the open. But the bigger fool/idiot is Samueli ho offered Murray another contract...

#233 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

You guys are getting me riled up!!! Yet again!

I don't want this guy leading my team!!

#234 Kariya9

Kariya9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have defended Bob for his whole tenure here and... I give up! I can't stand this guy being the GM of my team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#235 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Where is Samueli?

Maybe he's watching the Kings........

#236 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Where is Samueli?

Maybe he's watching the Kings........

Or watching the Lakers and Clippers.

:confused:

#237 Just Duckie

Just Duckie

Legend

• Members
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Or watching the Lakers and Clippers.

:confused:

Probably all three. He or Broadcom might have one of the luxury boxes, so he has all access to events at the Stapler. I hope he's enjoying himself.

#238 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

In trying to find any kind of news about the Samueli's, I ran across this:

Broadcom’s Samueli Makes ‘Giving Pledge’

Broadcom Corp. cofounder and Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli has joined a growing list of billionaires who pledged to give at least half their wealth to charity.

Samueli, who also owns the management company that runs the Honda Center in Anaheim, was among 12 new members who signed Bill Gates' and Warren Buffett's “Giving Pledge,” which aims to recruit the super wealthy to give a significant portion of their fortunes to philanthropic efforts.

OCR Business

Good people, our owners.

It's hard to stay mad at them when you see stuff like this.

#239 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

The Samueli's biggest fault is that they are too loyal. They've fired one person since they took over control of the Ducks and that was Randy Carlyle. They're good people who want to win but they are loyal to a fault. It's time to fire Bob Murray but it's doubtful that will ever happen.

#240 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

That's possible.

But there is a lot of evidence that they are disconnected, too. It's just as possible they are more interested in the NBA, and aren't paying much attention to the Ducks. That's a better explanation to me of how they can tolerate the sharp decline of the atmosphere and Ducks fans attendance in their own barn. Their hockey team has gone from hero to zero in rapid fashion. And I'm sure the hockey revenue has mirrored that.

#241 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm willing to bet the Samueli's can walk and chew gum at the same time.

#242 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

I'm willing to bet the Samueli's can walk and chew gum at the same time.

So could Nero.

And he chose to fiddle while Rome burned.

#243 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

So could Nero.

And he chose to fiddle while Rome burned.

The didn't even have gum back then!!!

My guess is somewhere in the middle of you two. Samuelli is no longer all excited about the Ducks .. clearly he's over that. He is more bottom line than them and while he'd like to win the Cup every year, he's happiest that the franchise continues to grow in value, he has a full time tenant for the Honda Center (and I'm not 100% on this .. I know he doesn't "own" it but I think that his "group" owns all the operating rights which means he makes money off every bit of popcorn, every annual subscription to the new bar area, every ticket in the parking lot, etc) and that they aren't getting KILLED on yearly losses.

I THINK he looks at it like you or I would look at a building we owned that kept going up in value, but operated at a small loss each year. Lets not go overboard on new carpeting and a classy doorman, lets just keep collecting rent and spend enough to keep the place 80% full. Spending the dough to get it to 100% is counterproductive.

The way for him to make HUGE money is on an NBA team which means two things ... 1) he gets an NBA franchise and those double in value just like NHL franchises and 2) he gets a Honda tenant for another 45 plus days a year! BANK!

Win another Cup? Yeah that'd be fine.

#244 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've said it before but I'll say it again - the problem is not Samueli. He gives the GM every resource he needs to succeed. The problem is the GM.

#245 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

By tolerating a GM that has proven to be a failure, Samueli has become a part of the problem.

Whether it is by loyalty, or by omission, or by plan, Samueli is the only one that has the power to change it.

And when I say failure, I mean in the hockey business sense.

It could well be true that Samueli sees the Ducks in terms of investment like lgd.com outlines, and isn't all that emotionally invested in the game. Thus the disconnected interpretation I gave above.

#246 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I've said it before but I'll say it again - the problem is not Samueli. He gives the GM every resource he needs to succeed. The problem is the GM.

I think the problem is Samueli needs to hire a new GM.

It could well be true that Samueli sees the Ducks in terms of investment like lgd.com outlines, and isn't all that emotionally invested in the game. Thus the disconnected interpretation I gave above.

And these are THE WORST kind of owners.

#247 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

The didn't even have gum back then!!!

Sure they did.

In ancient Rome and Greece, people did not wear deodorant and many must have had rotting teeth. We know from the 1st century AD poet poet Marcus Valerius Martialis (AKA Martial) that some Romans had such bad breath that they added perfume to their wine! Others chomped mastic gum to freshen their breath. Some Romans even used toothpicks made from slivers of mastic.

Link

They even used it to plug their dams.

My guess is somewhere in the middle of you two. Samuelli is no longer all excited about the Ducks ...

I see that as very possible.

Bottom line is that I don't know.

But I do know Samueli has the power to change the current rotting carcass of the club that won hockey's holy grail just 5 summers ago, and pluck the Ducks brand out of the dumpster where BM has left it.

#248 Sloth

Sloth

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hey atleast we are finally shedding Blake's massive salary. I just hope we spend it....

#249 Wigeon

Wigeon

Legend

• Members
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Who sets the internal salery cap?

You really think BM doesn't want to sign a 'big name' because HE doesn't want to spend the money?

#250 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I disagree. The ability to go just up to the NHL owner-imposed cap, the ability to sign long term deals, the ability to be "in that market" when guys like Mike Richards, Brad Richards and Jeff Carter are up for grabs (3 guys still in the playoffs) are things that his GM does not have the ability to do. The Ducks GM gets the same resources as the GM's in Carolina and Minnesota and those kind of big spending areas.

It might not be the difference ... giving Bob money to go after a guy like that might ruin us. But the fact is he doesn't have that ability because Samuelli won't take the risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users