724 replies to this topic

#1 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

I sort of stumbled on this in a debate in another thread, and though many may say "I know, I know" .... well *I* did not know it was this bad.

I think that we are a Cup contending team if we had just an adequate "middle" six.

I don't think you can expect much more of Getz, Perry and Ryan. Perry wins the Hart, Getz is over a point a game, Ryan 30 goals and he doesn't even get first PP unit time. The first PP unit is among the tops in the league. Argue as much as you want that Getz is lazy, these guys are widely regarded as the best first line in the league.

I don't think you want to expect more of your 4th line. They played 4 minutes a night and did little to change the outcomes of games.

The defense was good.

The problem? The middle six, even strength.

I felt all last year long that it was a battle to just stay even when these guys were on the ice. We were outshot, outpossessed, outhit and outscored all year long. Our second and third lines were anemic in scoring, they were anemic in hitting (with some occasional bumps from guys like Winchester/Ruutu who rightfully belong on a 4th line at this stage)

What follows are the numbers that shocked me. The forwards on the team, listed by points, then plus/minus, then hits. As you will see, there were 4 forwards, all scoring at or near or over a point a game, all PLUS players. Then there are the rest of the team. All minus players, all fare below what they should score at their position and ice time. All dragging us down:

1) 98 points +9 64 hits
2) 80 points +6 15 hits
3) 76 points +14 189 hits (that's the alleged lazy guy in 67 games)
4) 71 points +15 156 hits (is Bobby Ryan's mom in charge of the hit count?)

That's four STELLAR reacords. Now here comes the part I think is shocking:

5) 45 points -8 48 hits
6) 32 points -5 76 hits
7) 21 points -5 53 hits
8) 13 points -6 29 hits
9) 10 points -10 64 hits

So, the top 4 forwards combine for 325 points, are a collective plus 44. The next 5 forwards combine for 121 points, are a collective minus 34. The top 4 outhit these guys by more than 2 to 1 (and that includes Teemu, it's really counting 3 against 5).

Now to be fair, those numbers include Beleskey and Sexton, who did not play full seasons. You could find some more points and hits by adding Winchester or Ruutu or other players in there, but you'd also be DRAMATICALLY increasing the plus minus ratio in a negative way if you did.

I propose to follow these stat this season, hopefully seeing improvement. I hope that Cogliano, Gordon, DSP and maybe call ups later of Palmieri/Holland can help level this out, but right now I think it's clear the problem with our team is NOT about slow starts from the big line, alleged "laziness" from the captain or a misuse of our assets. I think the problem is that no one else on the team is any good.

#2 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

The tough thing for me to accept is this:

You take one guy out of that equation.

9) 10 points, -10, 64 hits

and you replace him with a guy who is:

60-70 points, +10 or better, 80-95 hits

and the team is very good. One change in the roster.

They could have done that, imo. The guys were there, the money was there. We'll see if that is Cogliano. Or Gordon. Or Smith-Pelly.

Oh, and on the Bobby Ryan hit-count issue, I think Ryan plays a "sneaky" physical game. He doesn't land haymakers all the time, but that boy finishes his checks. He's very good at it.

And I think Perry's numbers on hits reflect that his focus was on getting to good scoring areas. Let his big brothers do the dirty work!

#3 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

I think our 3rd line is going to be great this season, and i hope the old dudes line makes it happen like they showed at the end of the season 2 years ago, if all that comes into place, i dont think we need to get that middle man that is gonna cost like 4 to 5 million

#4 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

I still say that Brad Richards and/or Mike Richards makes this team an automatic contender. Have either center Bobby and Teemu say? Or Teemu and whotheeffever? Drop Saku and Blake down to the third line. 1)Beleskey/Getz/Perry 2)Ryan/Richards/Selanne 3)Cogliano/Koivu Blake. Gold. I mean really. That's 70 goals on the first line, 70 on the second and 40 on the third. Who beats THAT team? It would have took a LOT to land either of them, but you know what? We had to land Scott and Pronger and a bunch of other guys to win it once. That's what it takes.

Either way, Cogliano and Gordon and maybe DSP need to step up and Masterton needs to at least stay the same if we are going to be in the hunt this year. Fingers crossed. It is true that if we hang close we'll have 6 or 7 mill to spend at the deadline, but it's also true Murray ain't likely to do it.

#5 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 5 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still say that Brad Richards and/or Mike Richards makes this team an automatic contender. Have either center Bobby and Teemu say? Or Teemu and whotheeffever? Drop Saku and Blake down to the third line. 1)Beleskey/Getz/Perry 2)Ryan/Richards/Selanne 3)Cogliano/Koivu Blake. Gold. I mean really. That's 70 goals on the first line, 70 on the second and 40 on the third. Who beats THAT team? It would have took a LOT to land either of them, but you know what? We had to land Scott and Pronger and a bunch of other guys to win it once. That's what it takes.

Either way, Cogliano and Gordon and maybe DSP need to step up and Masterton needs to at least stay the same if we are going to be in the hunt this year. Fingers crossed. It is true that if we hang close we'll have 6 or 7 mill to spend at the deadline, but it's also true Murray ain't likely to do it.

what you fail to realize is, that richards cost 7 mil a year, if we signed him at that amount, do you honestly think we could of kept perry and getzlaf when their contract need to be renewed, and still have enough money to have a competitive team and still give money to Fowler ( lets hope the doughty stuff doesnt happen here ) and the other young kids that are gonna require a raise?

im dumb, you were talking about mike richards, i thought you were talking about brad richards, i agree, i would of loved to have mike richards on the ducks, that would of been epic, but the assets that would of cost to get him, there is no way the ducks would of given it

#6 runaroundace

runaroundace

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 5 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what you fail to realize is, that richards cost 7 mil a year, if we signed him at that amount, do you honestly think we could of kept perry and getzlaf when their contract need to be renewed, and still have enough money to have a competitive team and still give money to Fowler ( lets hope the doughty stuff doesnt happen here ) and the other young kids that are gonna require a raise?

im dumb, you were talking about mike richards, i thought you were talking about brad richards, i agree, i would of loved to have mike richards on the ducks, that would of been epic, but the assets that would of cost to get him, there is no way the ducks would of given it

Reality isn't allowed here! You are suposed to think that the ducks organization could have made the team a lot better but just didn't feel like it.

#7 TheSniper

TheSniper

Legend

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

its going to be interesting to see what kind of year these guys have... i mean whats done is done and the ducks are going to ride this group until it sails or sinks. I just think this org. is at a cross road with wanting to build there contender internally due to "internal cap" (which all of us hate but it is what it is)... there hope is to make bobby, getz, perry, fowler, some of the pups lifers in anaheim and they arnt willing to spend to the cap to make it happen...your absolutely right though but we have to hope for guys to step up.

#8 Burns94

Burns94

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'm so scared at how bad Blake will be this year, the guy is 38 years old, lost his shot awhile ago, and likely lose his legs at some point at this year. I would be shocked if he reached 25 points this year.

Hoping that a recall of Palmieri at some point will be able to take over his spot and produce.

#9 Reb

Reb

DUCK!

• Mods
  • 10,496 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, keeping body and soul together, reading, DVD's, Pool,pool right here in river city.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (runaroundace @ Oct 5 2011, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reality isn't allowed here! You are suposed to think that the ducks organization could have made the team a lot better but just didn't feel like it.

laugh.gif Exactly!

Some people think we should be icing a SCF team every year but most of the rest of us know that that ain't gonna happen. I don't give a tinkers damn about some folks' prognostications. I plan on hearing a good, fun season no matter what. Ducks hockey at its worst is still better than no hockey at all. wink.gif

#10 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Reb @ Oct 5 2011, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Exactly!

Some people think we should be icing a SCF team every year but most of the rest of us know that that ain't gonna happen. I don't give a tinkers damn about some folks' prognostications. I plan on hearing a good, fun season no matter what. Ducks hockey at its worst is still better than no hockey at all. wink.gif

I don't really believe it's your place to speak for "the rest of us".

More to the point, I think you oversimplify the points made here, only so you can mock them. Quite simply, no one expects a Stanley Cup every year.

Speaking for myself only, I think that looking at our season last year, then looking at the stats of forwards 5-12 it is glaringly obvious where our most "fixable" problem resides. And the effort to "fix" it was glaringly cheap. Could it work? Sure. Was it a great effort? Not only "no", but "hell no".

Now could I turn the tables and go for the "gotcha" like you? Watch:

Some people think we should be icing a so-so every year and be happy to pick up guys at the league minimum salary to fix our biggest weaknes, but most of the rest of us know that that ain't gonna work, we've been doing that ever since Burke left. I don't give a tinkers damn about some folks' prognostications. I plan on watching a good, fun season no matter what. Even if management cheaped out on us.

But, honestly, I'm not trying for the "gotcha". I LOVE the dialogue with other fans, you included, regardless of if they agree or disagree with me. I'm just sort of unimpressed and annoyed when you exaggerate/simplify/misinterpret my point in order to get the "gotcha".

#11 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 5 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your not dumb as far as I can tell!

Brad Richards would have been a HUGE risk. I'd have taken it, but my job isn't on the line.

Let me try to tell you WHY I think it would be worth it (Mike, I guess we agree on - I think we could have put together the same package as the Kings):

I think everyone here has their head in the sand on one thing. We are not going to be able to retain Hiller, Getz, Perry, Ryan, Fowler and then get guys like Lubo, Lydman, Selanne and Koivu to "round them out" much past the expiration of Getz and Perry's deal. Each of Getz, Perry, Ryan, Fowler could EASILY command Doughty money when their contracts are up. There is no way I can conceive of keeping those stars together and then putting any more than league minimum (and entry level contract guys) around them.

So I say SCREW IT. Win now. Win while we have Teemu still playing, and all those other guys on good deals.

I think maybe Detroit is the only example of a Cap era team that has remained a Cup contender annually. Teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, and yes, particularly the DUCKS have had to build it up, give it a year or two and then tear it down. We had to let go of Kuni, Mac, Pronger .... and boom ... even with Scott around we went down a notch.

I think in this era you have to pick your spot and GO FOR IT.

Now, is that smart financially? Probably not. It kind of bit us one time. But that BITE got us the first West Coast Cup. Perrenial bragging rights over the Kings.

Breaking even at the box office and making the playoffs every year? That beats the hell out of our first 10 years in the league. I still think we are too close to play it safe.

Now look, I do realize that Brad Richards was and is a gigantic roll of the dice. He's not young, he's not Sid either. He might have not been a "fit", he might have got hurt. He might have only had one year in him and we'd have paid for it for a long time. But I do think that a BIG TIME center would round out our line up so nicely that we should in fact have been "in that market" and while it would have taken work, we COULD have made him the same offer he got. And yes, Brad Richards might not have ever dreamed of coming here, altough I think a round of golf at Pelican Hill and a view of the houses in Kobe Bryan't neighborhood, coupled with a trip to the beach and maybe stop off at Fashion Island for dinner on the way home ....

Here we will agree: Lets have this team catch fire and FORCE their hand. 7 mill to spend/trade at the deadline. If we are first in the Pacific, Hiller is back ... then we better go for broke then! We'll have to!

#12 Reb

Reb

DUCK!

• Mods
  • 10,496 posts
  • Interests:Ducks hockey, keeping body and soul together, reading, DVD's, Pool,pool right here in river city.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 5 2011, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't really believe it's your place to speak for "the rest of us".

More to the point, I think you oversimplify the points made here, only so you can mock them. Quite simply, no one expects a Stanley Cup every year.

And I think you take all this stuff far to seriously. But that's your problem not mine.

I wasn't speaking for you. I was speaking for a bunch of others. Many of whom have deserted this board because ...
You can keep your negative vibe all to yourself. We, me included, don't give a rat's assets.
What's your user name again? letsgoducks . com? Didn't have enough followers to make that viable, eh?

#13 DucksFan39

DucksFan39

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Fair observation, but I think the real sore thumb is Jason Blake, Saku is fairly consistent with his production, he will play to about a 50 pt pace every year which is acceptable from a 2nd line center, what we need is to address that wing spot, the third line has plenty of candidates this year, whereas in previous years we were sticking 4th liners like Bodie and Marchant there because we had nothing else.

Cogliano, McMillan, DSP, Gordon, Beleskey, Macenauer, Selanne, Koivu, Holland, Palmieri, Maroon, Deschamps....there's plenty of talent for players to rise up in the bottom 9. In all likelyhood we'll test the waters with what we have for the first 20-30 games of the season, if we aren't getting quality play from these lines then you'll probably see a significant trade. Murray has proven he is not afraid to shake up the roster if it doesn't perform.

I like our projected bottom 6, and the call ups, I would like to see Parros in a reduced role, heck I would like McGratton to get a chance to challenge him, IMO he has done a poor job as "enforcer" when Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan are getting into fights, it's because he's not doing his job. If we want an improved 4th line McMillan-Macenauer-Beleskey looks alot better on paper, in my book.

But as I said Blake needs a strong start, otherwise I see him going on waivers or being traded/boughtout. he cannot hold down the 2nd line, hopefully Palmieri has a strong start.

#14 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Reb @ Oct 5 2011, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I think you take all this stuff far to seriously. But that's your problem not mine.

I wasn't speaking for you. I was speaking for a bunch of others. Many of whom have deserted this board because ...
You can keep your negative vibe all to yourself. We, me included, don't give a rat's assets.
What's your user name again? letsgoducks . com? Didn't have enough followers to make that viable, eh?

Reb, since you are a moderator and all, how bout you stick to the topic? I started a viable thread with my viable opinions about a hockey subject and you can do nothing but try to re-hash some personal problem you have with me. Talk hockey for once.

#15 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (DucksFan39 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair observation, but I think the real sore thumb is Jason Blake, Saku is fairly consistent with his production, he will play to about a 50 pt pace every year which is acceptable from a 2nd line center, what we need is to address that wing spot, the third line has plenty of candidates this year, whereas in previous years we were sticking 4th liners like Bodie and Marchant there because we had nothing else.

I disagree on Saku. I think Saku is done. I could be wrong, but look at his numbers. 45 points is his worst in the NHL since 2001. I don't think we see 50 points from him ever again. I think we need a better player in that role. I am not trying to convince you, we both watch the games and have made up our minds, I'm just giving you my "reasoning" I guess.

Last year your list of players was Beleskey, Selanne, Koivu, Bodie, Winchester, Ruutu, Chipchura, Carter, Blake, Marchant, Sexton, Vooros, Josh Green The years before that Kyle Calder, Macgregor Sharp, Erik Christensen, Pettery Nokaleinen. This years list IMO does not look a lot different - with the exception of the rookies, most of whom don't look ready (except for Holland, who I don't think gets called up to center the 3rd line, I think he's here next year to replace Saku).

It might work. Career year from Cogs, Gordon continues his 3 week showing for the next 30 weeks. But even if it does I think it will be more coincidence than anything else, IMO.

#16 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

Those numbers are shocking and I agree that an improved third line would greatly help the Ducks make another run at the Cup.

We've just gone through an entire offseason and the only players that will take the ice tomorrow who weren't already in the Ducks system or on the roster are Andrew Cogliano and Kurtis Foster. That's not good enough. Bringing back virtually the exact same team may be good for chemistry and cohesion but when the Sharks, Kings, Blue Jackets and Wild all make big moves to get better you've got to keep pace. The Ducks are, realistically, going to finish in third place in the Pacific Division this year. That's not bad but it's not good, either, and it has just as much to do with how bad Dallas and Phoenix will be as it does with how good the Ducks will be. If this team avoids a catastrophic injury to a key player they should be a playoff team but they are, as you point out, one or two players away from being a Cup contender.

I don't think it has to be someone of Brad/Mike Richards quality or price tag, though. I think it can be someone like a Jussi Jokinen, Kris Versteeg or Patrik Elias. Get someone in here that can legitimately score 20+ goals and 50+ points on the left wing of the second line and move Blake to the third line where he belongs or send him to Syracuse. Make that one move and we've got a team with the depth and scoring to make a serious run at this thing. It's not a big move, it's not a costly move and it's not a risky move. It's the right move, though, and it could turn Teemu's last year into a magical one.

#1 - Ryan / Getzlaf / Perry
#2 - Jokinen / Koivu / Selanne
#3 - Blake / Cogliano / Gordon
#4 - McMillan / Macenauer / Smith-Pelly

Yes, it's time to bench George Parros. We all love the guy but he does nothing to help the Ducks win games and we've got enough guys that are willing to fight if needed (Beauchemin, Sbisa, Smith-Pelly, Brookbank, etc.). Plus, if a game is going to be nasty they can always throw Parros into the lineup.

#17 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

The top three or four forwards on their roster skew the thing.

If you look at the WC, there are quite a few teams with guys at the level of Koivu and Blake playing third and sometimes fourth line roles. And because three of those top 4 guys are on one line, the drop-off is steeper than most teams.

Again, the big line will have to do most of the heavy lifting.

They want to keep RPG together. Makes sense. Those guys are a great line and play well together, and want to play together.

They decided to go with the same second line as last season, which was not that great. They played more like a third line. Or at least they produced stats like a third line. Except for Selanne on the PP.

But they are keeping RPG together at the expense of not strengthening the other lines, particularly the second line. Gordon and Cogliano are finger-crossing moves, as in let's hope the work out. They are not legitimate "top 6 on any NHL team" forwards. Neither are Blake, McMillan, Holland, Palmieri, Bonino, Macenauer, Smith-Pelly, Beleskey, and Sexton. Could they be someday? Possibly. But find that out in the A or on the third or fourth line.

They realistically have 4 forwards that are top 6 on any NHL team. Koivu's iffy, as is Cogliano. The other guys are not.

You want those guys competing for 3rd and 4th line spots, not 2nd and 3rd.

Every line should be pushing the one ahead of it, at least in the top three lines. There is no way the second line is pushing the first line. And the third line will push the second line only if the second line falters.

Not a great recipe, imo.

#18 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 5 2011, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here we will agree: Lets have this team catch fire and FORCE their hand. 7 mill to spend/trade at the deadline. If we are first in the Pacific, Hiller is back ... then we better go for broke then! We'll have to!

a couple things i disagree with... getzlaf and perry will resign here, they love it here, why wouldnt they? when i listen to getzlaf and perry talk about how much money the organization has invested in them, i think we can sign both of them for 7/7.5 mil each ( im sure getzy and perry like to play with each other and if one of them demands to much money then most likely one of them will get traded, really doubt they go down that path, think sedins hookup haha ), Fowler will sign here and he doesnt seem like he has the same attitude that Mr Drew freaking Doughty has, fowler wont come cheap but he will be affordable i think, with Hiller i really dont know what to say, if he has to go i think we have good enough prospects like in that new goalie we drafted that might make an impression.

now regarding bobby ryan...we dont know if this guy is gonna end up being better then perry or getzlaf in a couple of years, he definatly has the potential, but if he doesnt and is always under the shadow of getzy and perry, he might sign for cheaper like he has already done, plus he himself said those guys are the ones that make the most money and he was content being under them, but if he is a legit threat by himself like he has proven he can be, then we might have to trade him, and i think we can get very good assets for bobby ryan, i still think we can keep him at a reasonable amount.

lubo. boom boom, lydman will probably be out by that time, so thats like 10+ mill right there, jason blake is off that is 4 mill right there, selanne and koivu off the books thats 7 mill, lets say we convert bobby to center for the second line ( i think he can do it and he will make players around him better, think dan sexton when selanne got injured, bobby played with sexton and sexton was scoring, replace sexton with 2 year more mature palmieri and we might have something good there, then have holland as the third line center and i think we are golden in the middle, i dont think a line has to have 3 great players, 2 great players with a decent player should be able to make it happen, and to replace the defense, well we will have to aquire some people...

what im getting at is i dont think this team is ready for a cup run the way los angeles san jose or vancouver is, the sharks and vancouvers windows are closing each season while ours is only getting better as is the kings, i think depending on how this season goes, we might make a push next season or the one after that, we dont want to be a one hit wonder, we want to be in contention always like detroit, and gambling and going for it is exactly what can destroy what this team has been pursuing...to get younger and better!

#19 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 6 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what im getting at is i dont think this team is ready for a cup run the way los angeles san jose or vancouver is, the sharks and vancouvers windows are closing each season while ours is only getting better as is the kings, i think depending on how this season goes, we might make a push next season or the one after that, we dont want to be a one hit wonder, we want to be in contention always like detroit, and gambling and going for it is exactly what can destroy what this team has been pursuing...to get younger and better!

Remember, we did finish ahead of the Kings last year ....

But it's a fair disagreement, if you don't think we are close, you don't take the 10-1 shot on Brad Richards.

To me, Ryan, Getz, Perry, Fowler are all going to be top 10 players in the league when their contracts are up. Might we get hometown discounts? Yes. Will they be enough of a discount to field a team around them? I'm concerned. Assuming Fowler gets even 6, I think it's gonna cost something like 25-30 mill for these four - that's half the current cap. Can we afford it when we lose Lubo, Selanne, Hiller's contracts? Yes. But then we have to replace the most clutch forward I've ever seen, a Norris type guy and a Vezina type guy. I don't know if it can be done.

#20 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (letsgoducksdotcom @ Oct 6 2011, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... But then we have to replace the most clutch forward I've ever seen, a Norris type guy and a Vezina type guy. I don't know if it can be done.

I agree, but i rather gamble and try to keep the stars we have, then gamble and get someone outside of the organization that might or might not work... I guess thats why GM jobs pay the big bucks hahaha

and the kings are way more stacked then us, the LA defense is probably the best in the league right there with nashville, and now they have players to play with kopitar, i think you are undervaluating the kings because i think they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

#21 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (hail2ducks @ Oct 6 2011, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the kings are way more stacked then us, the LA defense is probably the best in the league right there with nashville, and now they have players to play with kopitar, i think you are undervaluating the kings because i think they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Well basically the Kings swapped Simmonds an Schenn for Richards and Gagne. The rest of the team is the same as it was last year. And we beat last years King team. I think if you it's a NON Duck/King fan looking at it, you have to think the Kings are ahead of us right now, but it's not by that much, I hope ....

And remember. The Kings have the KING factor. They had Allison Deadmarsh and Palffy and screwed that up. They've screwed up a lot of stuff, and I fully expect them to screw up again this year. 43 in a row, I think it'll be.

#22 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

i think by paper the kings are better but who knows how the chemistry is gonna be, by chemistry alone i think the ducks are better, and have more clutch players then the kings, and plus we have a lot of winners on our team...i think its a great matchup honestly, its gonna be great to see these battles.

another thing, when you say we beat them, well the last 2 games they were playing without kopitar, and we won by 1 points hahahaha

#23 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Right, but we had Getz out big parts of the season. In the end, we finished ahead of them. AGAIN!

#24 hail2ducks

hail2ducks

1st Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

well, i really do hope they choke a la Sharks and vancouver so that the ducks are the only championship team this side of the west hahahaha

#25 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

This is the best topic (I guess) in which to post this, so here goes:

Under what scenario do the Ducks us their cap money to upgrade the team?

I'm not sure there is one, outside of an injury crisis, and that would be filling a hole, not improving.

If they are doing great, and everyone is healthy, I don't see it. And there wouldn't be any reason to do it, perhaps. They may bring in a role player, but not an impact player.

If they are doing terribly, they won't do it. They'll look to unload expiring contracts of desirable veterans (Koivu, Blake, Beauchemin).

If they are hovering around the playoff cutoff mark, I see BM trying to "weather the storm".

What if they are within reach of winning the division? Maybe then?

I bring it up because I was thinking about it the other day and couldn't envision a scenario where it would happen. Maybe I'm just jaded by the off-season approach of management.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users