Photo

2012-2013 Season: What Do We Have & What Do We Need?

• Please log in to reply
1464 replies to this topic

#301 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

hmm.

Ryan-Kesler-Selanne?

More like Ryan for Kesler the way Bob Murray works. But we'll throw in Cam Fowler as well because we've got this Schultz kid on the way! :rolleyes:

#302 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Here's a good article by a very well-connected and respected Canadian hockey journalist (read: this guy knows what he is talking about) about the Jordan Staal situation: his possible availability, contrasted with that of Malkin or Crosby, etc. For those that question his offensive upside, here is the real poop:

Staal is more productive too (context is when Crosby is out of the lineup)- he gets to play on the second power-play unit and his role on the team is more clearly defined. (Note that among Penguins’ forwards, Staal played the second-most minutes this season, 20:03, behind Malkin’s 21:01. He also had five goals on the power play and three on the penalty kill, which suggests that his value is known to the coaching staff, even if he is down at No. 5 on the scoring chart, with a highly respectable 50 points in 62 games).

I guess there's been scuttlebutt that EDM & CAR should have interest in acquiring him.

I think if I were a beat writer for the Ducks, I would put a call in to one Bob Murray and try to get him to answer if the Ducks have interest in him.

I would anticipate being turned down, but at least I'd have something to write about!

#303 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Here's a good article by a very well-connected and respected Canadian hockey journalist (read: this guy knows what he is talking about) about the Jordan Staal situation: his possible availability, contrasted with that of Malkin or Crosby, etc.

Well, they should make a hard run at him. They probably won't, but they should.

#304 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think if I were a beat writer for the Ducks, I would put a call in to one Bob Murray and try to get him to answer if the Ducks have interest in him.

I would anticipate being turned down, but at least I'd have something to write about!

RIght, at this point if you are a Duck beat writer NOT named Helene, you may as well call, get turned down and then BLAST him for not taking your call. I mean it's not like if you continue to pussyfoot around he might someday talk to you .. it's been 4 years and he just doesn't do it. Might as well make THAT the story.

Honestly, isn't that your job?

#305 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

It's against the CBA for a GM to express interest in a player who's under contract with another team so there's nothing for Bob Murray to say at this point. He literally cannot say anything of value about Jordan Staal or any other player whose rights belong to another team.

Now, he could talk about his plan for this summer and next season but he hasn't done so by now so why would he start talking in early May? The good news is that Teemu is supposed to let him know by July 1st so we'll have some more information then, though it won't be from Bob Murray.

#306 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

You are right that he cannot express interest in a specific player under contract to another team, but he sure can say if he's in the market for a guy like that. He can say that he intends to fill the need for a bona-fide scoring center through the trade market.

But my point is that I believe it would help put some pressure on this franchise to fricking communicate with its customers... its fan base. All we get is speculation and fluff on what the Ducks plan to do from Eric Stephens, Jeff Miller, and everybody else, with the occasional Murray quote from the fricking beat writer for the LA Kings. It might even help a certain important party to notice that no matter what his GM tells him, everybody in the real world sees he really doesn't have a plan.

And I'm not holding my breath to hear from Teemu by July 1st, either. How many times has he promised that and not come through with a decision on time? Something like every time but one?

#307 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

RIght, at this point if you are a Duck beat writer NOT named Helene, you may as well call, get turned down and then BLAST him for not taking your call. I mean it's not like if you continue to pussyfoot around he might someday talk to you .. it's been 4 years and he just doesn't do it. Might as well make THAT the story.

Honestly, isn't that your job?

Yeah, I think it is.

And it would be doing a great service to the franchise to be exposing Bob Murray for the in-over-his-head failure that he is as a GM, as often as possible.

One of the most important parts (if not THE most important) of the GM job is to build and feed the fan base. The best way to do it is to have a winning team, but you also have to have customer relations that lets the fans know and makes them feel like they're important and a big part of the equation. You do it through the press (interviews and press conf's), the PR department, and through your own public presence at fan events, league events, speaking engagements, etc.

The only part that Murray pays any attention to is winning, and he's not doing a very good job at that. Seeing as how he spurns the rest of it, I'd say he's an abysmal failure as a GM. The lack of Ducks fans attendance at the Ponda is the proof.

#308 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I don't follow the OC Register but I have to think that Eric Stephens has been given a different assignment and that he's not worried about the Ducks in May when they haven't played a game in over a month and won't be at the draft for another six weeks.

#309 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

And that's the EXACT reason why Bob Murray needs to get off his arse and offer an interview or hold a press conference or anything that keeps fans' interest and confidence and excitement in the hockey club.

With their main business competitor getting all the attention right now (and rightfully so), it's poor business practice to stay as silent as a stone and make no effort at all to keep your fans' interest. There's a PR tidal wave on the horizon, and Murray & Co. are doing absolutely nothing to get any horsepower out of it .

At the very least he ought to slip out something in an interview like "We wish the Kings well, but with their history we don't expect any parade". That would surely get some attention. Since he's lousy at creating any positive attention, try some negative. It's no secret in the advertising business that a little negative attention is immeasurably better than no attention at all. And if you play it right, it can pay dividends.

#310 DuckNoire

DuckNoire

Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

TSN report on Ducks Offseason-Plans:

http://www.tsn.ca/fa...tory/?id=395528

#311 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

TSN report on Ducks Offseason-Plans:

That article is not the "Ducks' Plan", per se. It doesn't have one iota of information from Bob Murray or anyone else in Ducks management.

It is the writer's opinion of what the Ducks should do. That's why he entitled it "Game Plan".

Also, it's in the Fantasy News section of TSN hockey. That's telling in itself.

#312 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

What's the plan BOB????

Why do we have to guess?

#313 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Him not detailing the plan is not the problem, per se.

The problem is that he has said similar things in the past and then not delivered.

If he had our trust, we wouldn't need details. And really, he shouldn't be laying out what he intends to do for public consumption. He should be vague. It would not be prudent to let the other 29 teams and every UFA's agent have good ideas as to what you wanted to do. Keep that stuff close to the vest.

But he isn't trustworthy, and that is where all our trepidation comes from, imo.

#314 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

What's the plan BOB????

Why do we have to guess?

I think you know the answer.

Murray doesn't have a comprehensive plan, because he doesn't know what character of a hockey team he wants. He flies by the seat of his pants.

#315 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Rumoured to be on trading block early last season, Bobby Ryan seemed more secure on the roster once Randy Carlyle was let go and the 25-year-old power forward had 18 goals and 36 points in his last 44 games. Ryan is the only player in the league to have at least 30 goals and a positive plus-minus in each of the last four seasons.

I'm thinking they might want to keep him.......

#316 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Him not detailing the plan is not the problem, per se.

How about detailing that one of his main goals is to make damn sure that the team doesn't have another bad start?

Or is that an example of something he's said in the past, and not delivered?

If that's not an example of ignoring the elephant in the phone booth we're in, I don't know what is.

This guy is just flat inept at being a leader.

Rumoured to be on trading block early last season, Bobby Ryan seemed more secure on the roster once Randy Carlyle was let go and the 25-year-old power forward had 18 goals and 36 points in his last 44 games. Ryan is the only player in the league to have at least 30 goals and a positive plus-minus in each of the last four seasons.

I'm thinking they might want to keep him.......

Where's that from?

#317 Mowbray91

Mowbray91

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

What's the plan BOB????

Why do we have to guess?

This is my associate Bob Slydell.

"I'll be honest with you, I love his music. I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings 'When a Man Loves a Woman'."

#318 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

This guy is just flat inept at being a leader.

And that's what I'm getting at. Unless he says "I'm gonna trade Palmieri and Visnovsky and our first for Krecji and Ference and BOS's 2nd and sign Wideman in FA" (which no GM would ever specifically say, for good reason), we are gonna be unhappy.

Vagueness isn't the problem.

His track record is. Need a new guy.

#319 Mowbray91

Mowbray91

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think Murray should test the waters on Mike Green. Durability might be an issue, but him and Fowler on the points would be a definite upgrade to an aging Lubo. And that would stop the Getzlaf-on-the-point experiment.

#320 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Where's that from?

That TSN article.

And here's that guy's offseason moves/custom lineup.

http://www.capgeek.c...ter.php?id=2725

I think he's BM's nephew. That looks like a perfect roster to finish 11th in the West.

#321 Mowbray91

Mowbray91

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

What about something like this? (My custom lineup)

http://www.capgeek.c...ter.php?id=2795

#322 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

And that's what I'm getting at. Unless he says "I'm gonna trade Palmieri and Visnovsky and our first for Krecji and Ference and BOS's 2nd and sign Wideman in FA" (which no GM would ever specifically say, for good reason), we are gonna be unhappy.

Maybe we'll be unhappy, maybe we'll be happy. I don't know, because he won't say. He won't say that he believes in our core players and thinks we only need to tinker and add a part here and there. He doesn't say this is a 5 year plan and we are in year 1 or 2 or 5. He doesn't say if we expect to win a Cup next year. He doesn't say, he doesn't say, he doesn't say.

It's his job to let the CUSTOMERS know what to expect. "we are going to try and make the playoffs and make a push in the spring" delivered as a second hand quote from Koivu is NOT giving his customers what they pay for.

#323 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

What about something like this? (My custom lineup)

http://www.capgeek.c...ter.php?id=2795

I don't like it - no offense.

I don't see how that lineup is any better than last season's team.

#324 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

It's his job to let the CUSTOMERS know what to expect. "we are going to try and make the playoffs and make a push in the spring" delivered as a second hand quote from Koivu is NOT giving his customers what they pay for.

I understand. I'm just saying anything he says anymore is lip service. The aura of distrust and pessimism is prevalent. He created it.

He needs to do.

#325 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Spot on.

And it's completely stupid to miss the opportunity to pump some air into the fans' tires.

The issue to me is greater than what I think they owe me for my money.

The issue is what is good business practice to keep your customers.

Can anyone look in the Honda Center this last season and claim they are keeping customers? Hell no...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users