#1 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

So, with a very forgettable season over, my thoughts on the Ducks players this season…
Forwards
Ryan Getzlaf - Consistency issues plagued him, he needs to shoot more and work on his defensive game & in the faceoff circle. C-
Corey Perry – Second half surge, as usual. Played with a lot of heart, didn’t really appear to miss a beat from last season. A-
Bobby Ryan – For all the trade rumors, line bouncing, he still did his 30 goal thing. Streaky and he seemed a little frustrated, but let his game speak for himself. B+
Teemu Selanne – What more could fans want from him? Carried the team in the first half and outscored people half his age. Maybe lost a step in the second half, but still one hell of a player. One more year? A-
Saku Koivu – Points not showing the impact he had, I thought he did a good job as the second line center. Needs to teach the team how to win faceoffs. On the fence about bringing him back. B-
Jason Blake – Injury shortened season, did show some promise when he got back. Id re-sign him if he came for cheap. B-
Andrew Cogliano – Impressed with him. If he scores a bit more, I really like him. Faceoff numbers need a big improvement. C+
Nik Hagman – Pretty good pickup, especially for the price. Reminds me of Kunitz a bit with the way he forechecks. If we can get him cheap, sure, bring him back. Loved him on the PK. B-
George Parros – I will get flak for this, but on the bubble. Needs to improve his game (scoring and defensive play) if he wants back in my books. C-
Devante Smith Pelly – Great effort by the kid. Loved his game. Has room to grow his game, but that will come with experience. B+
Matt Beleskey – Showed what I wanted to see from him towards the end of the season. Has a great shot, and with a little work could be a nice depth scorer. B-
Nick Bonino – Great job by BB getting bones to improve his game. I think with a little work, itll pay off. Still needs to improve his offensive play. C+
Rod Pelly – Under the radar pickup, who was actually pretty good in the circle and defensively- I’d love to see him signed to a two way contract. B+
Brandon McMillan – Took a step back but still is developing. C
Kyle Palmieri – Didn’t have a long enough stay, but I liked what I saw. With time to develop chemistry etc, who knows? B-
Ryan O Marra – Can’t really rate him on such a short time with ducks.
Peter Holland – Would have liked to have seen more of him. Based on what I saw, I liked it. B-
Mark Bell – No comment, too short of a stay.
JF Jaques- Thug. Didn’t like him at all. F-
Patrick Maroon – 2 games is too hard to judge on, but kid has potential.

Defense
Lubo Visnovsky- Inconsistent play, seemed to be off his game some nights. We need him to be better. C
Francois Beauchemin – Emerged better than anybody could have imagined. Needs to be a little careful with some of the penalties, but great play. A+++
Luca Sbisa – Love his play. Has a lot of room to improve, but he is getting there… A little work and he is Franky 2.0 or maybe even Pronger lite? A-
Cam Fowler – Sophmore slump. Seemed to be a bit nervous out there at times, and needs to calm down. Too good of a player to have this kind of a season again. C+
Sheldon Brookbank – What a surprise! I had him pegged as a number 6 defender, but his play, especially in the last half of the season, solidifies him in our top 4. A
Toni Lydman – Injured ? sure. But with the play of our other guys, he needs to step it up next season. Im not asking for a league leading +/- (although that would be great) but he needs to be better. C-
Nate Guenin – Short term stay with the big club, but I liked what I saw of him. Hard to rate on such few games played. B
Matt Clark – Too short of a stay to judge him.
Goaltending
Jonas Hiller- First half was horrible. Second half was all-star like. If he played like he did in the last half earlier, we would be in a better position. Still, one cannot blame him for his tentativeness early this season coming back from the vertigo bout. Started almost 90% of the games we played. We need somebody who can lighten the load B
Dan Ellis – Well this was a horrible deal for us; I don’t fault him for injuries, but I do fault him for his less than average play when he did see ice time. Had our backup been better, maybe we sit Hiller earlier in the season, get a few points, make it into the playoffs. Hindsight is 50/50 sure, but we need a better backup. D-
Jeff Deslaueriers – Not the answer for our backup problems. He tried, and he did better than I thought, but he needs much more time to develop. D
Irro Tarkki – Maybe a number 3 goalie for the team. Maybe. C.

#2 Sloth

Sloth

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Nick Bonino – Great job by BB getting bones to improve his game. I think with a little work, itll pay off. Still needs to improve his offensive play. C+
Rod Pelly – Under the radar pickup, who was actually pretty good in the circle and defensively- I’d love to see him signed to a two way contract. B+

Wait, what? Rod Pelly was better than Bonino? I disagree but respect your opinion. Pelly to me was a run of the mill 4th line center. I was not impressed nor disappointed. Bonino can still improve and be a solid 3rd line center.

Saku Koivu – Points not showing the impact he had, I thought he did a good job as the second line center. Needs to teach the team how to win faceoffs. On the fence about bringing him back. B-

You bring him back because Teemu would want to be on the 3rd line with him, he kills penalties, and is our only above .500 faceoff winner. He also adds leadership to the lockerroom. After Teemu he is the 2nd vet on my list to resign. Just dont fool yourself BM, he isnt a top 6 guy anymore.

George Parros – I will get flak for this, but on the bubble. Needs to improve his game (scoring and defensive play) if he wants back in my books. C-

George's major problem is not many people want to fight him. Im looking at you Aliu.

Ryan Getzlaf - Consistency issues plagued him, he needs to shoot more and work on his defensive game & in the faceoff circle. C-

Its not a lack of shots but shot selection. Far too often I saw Getz occupy center ice with minimal pressure and pass it off to Perry on the side of the net. Let him clean it up Getzy. Its his shot percentage that took a hit this year.

Jason Blake – Injury shortened season, did show some promise when he got back. Id re-sign him if he came for cheap. B-

I would retire if i was him. He's a 4th line guy at this point. He's going to be 39 next year. I could see him helping at the TD to add depth to the injuries for a playoff push. But a full season, naw. Too small and not enough offense.

Nik Hagman – Pretty good pickup, especially for the price. Reminds me of Kunitz a bit with the way he forechecks. If we can get him cheap, sure, bring him back. Loved him on the PK. B-

His best asset is leadership. Another 4th liner with the ability to temporarily fill a slot in a higher line.

Great list Sarge. Where did you find the time? Just added some of my opinions feel free to disagree.

#3 DucksRule00

DucksRule00

2007 Stanley Cup Champions

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Getzaf-F
Perrry=C
Ryan-D
Selanne-A
Kooivu-B-
Blake-C
Hagman-B
DSP-B
Cogliano-B
Pelley-D
Parros-D
Bonino-B-

Fowler-C
Lydman-F
Visnovsky-D+
Beuchemin-C+
Brookbank-B
Sbisa-A

Hiller-B-

#4 marinelzen

marinelzen

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Grades are given to player in respect to their role and paycheck. Not in respect to each other.

Forwards
Ryan Getzlaf - Not an impact player most of the time. Not finding the net enough. He has strayed away from his backhand passes, but often misses passes a lot. C-
Corey Perry – Played good, but could not put the team on his back this year. B+
Bobby Ryan – Not physical enough on the other team. He avoids contact. Invisible on some nights. B-
Teemu Selanne – Played good 5on5 and on the PP. A-
Saku Koivu – Filled his role well as a two-way forward. Would like to have him back. B+
Jason Blake – Not on the score sheet enough and doesn't excell in other roles. C
Andrew Cogliano – Filled his role well and plays well 5on5. B
Nik Hagman – Looks good 5on5 and can make some nice moves in the offensive zone. Has a nose for the net. B+
George Parros – Less used under BB. Not excelling at any one role except for being an enforcer. C
Devante Smith Pelly – Plays well 5on5. Has a nose for the net and is physical. B+
Matt Beleskey – Filled his role well, but not on the scoresheet enough. B-
Nick Bonino – Played ok 5on5 and filled his role well. B-
Rod Pelly – Decent two way forward. Filled his role ok. B-
Kyle Palmieri – Started scoring late in the season. B

Defense
Lubo Visnovsky- Not the offensive threat he was last season. Not stellar in any one area of play. C-
Francois Beauchemin – Great defensive season. Physical and the go to dman for the pk. A
Luca Sbisa – Good defensive season. Physical as well. A-
Cam Fowler – Not too good defensively nor offensively. Often loses the puck and sometimes falls down on the ice unaided. C
Sheldon Brookbank – Good defensively. Filled his role well and is physical. B+
Toni Lydman – Significant dropoff defensively from last season. Makes some really late hits along the boards where he gets interference. Lost some speed out there. C-
Goaltending
Jonas Hiller- Wasn't good early on and let in a lot of questionable goals. Played well later on. B

Coach

Randy Carlyle - Stuck with his system, line matching, and player role selection. Didn't like watching his hockey games. The team didn't perform out there. C-
Bruce Boudreau - Team played high flying games early on, but went on defensive clampdown later on. Games were fun to watch early on, but were good to so-so later on. Didn't do well with the powerplay/special teams. Getzlaf should not be on the point. B

#5 mransr

mransr

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

not thinking of any post in particular, but I wonder why on a team that should earn a C- at best there are so many A and B players?

#6 Sloth

Sloth

2nd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think personally that you cant give a guy a C when he is thrust into a position he shouldnt be occupying. This team is a one line team and apparently a one goalie team as well.

For example should Blake and Hagman get marked down even if they played on the 1st line and didnt perform as well as lets say the LW of the top 4 clubs of each conference. They shouldnt be playing that position. But why are they playing that position? That is a question for our intrepid general manager.

This team did well except for first half Hiller, Getzlaf, Visnovsky, Lydman, and Ellis. Line 2 except for the ever youthful Selanne showed its age. Line 3 continued to change its face till BB finally made it into a scoring line.

Which brings me to Bob Murray. He gets a D. I would give him an F but he seems to draft well. He failed before the season started to trade/buyout our older players (I wanted to buyout Blake). Sign some players that are 2nd/3rd line worthy to ease the transition from Koivu/Blake/Selanne. The trade deadline came and went with nothing to show for. Tampa Bay sold, ended up with 2 1st round picks and some 2nd round picks and still did better than us in the standings. We are left with a bunch of old players finishing their contracts with nothing to show for them. Really its a mess.

#7 Sarge

Sarge

The Beer Tastes Like S***

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:almost everything. Follow me on twitter @SargeTheDuck

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Im upgrading Franky to an A+++. Apparently hes been playing this well while playing with a broken labrum. Expected to miss 3 or 4 months

#8 DropThePuck

DropThePuck

It's hockey season!

• Admin
  • 70,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Closing quotes from players ...

“The second half was exactly what we were expecting in the first half,” Selanne said. “If we play even close to the first half like we did the second, it would be easy to have home-ice advantage (in the first round). That is why I really hope everybody is going to remember the feeling we had when we realized we are not going to make the playoffs, having this long summer and watching the other guys play for the Stanley Cup. That feeling is going to help you next year for sure. If that doesn’t help you, then you are in the wrong sport.”

more at this link

#9 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ducks' management with a bad report card here:

NHL Moneyball: Here Are The Most -- And Least -- Productive Hockey Teams

Disappointed Torontonians and Montrealers can be excused for thinking they’re not getting their money’s worth from their hockey teams, but a new study on the productivity of NHL franchises suggests some other fans have it even worse.
The survey from BMO Capital Markets finds many of Canada’s most popular hockey teams are near the bottom in terms of how many points they scored versus how much they spent...

Bottom 5: #26 Anaheim Ducks

Cap Spending: $59.57-million

Points/Millions: 1.34

An ageing offence, holes on defence. Is it any wonder that the Ducks underperformed this year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users