132 replies to this topic

#1 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

The franchise's first captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Looks like the Ducks have their back-up goalie for next season - Viktor Fasth.

LINK

Fasth will turn 30 in August and has been a highly sought after goalie around the NHL for a while now. He's reportedly a very fiery guy that is a hybrid goalie and who catches with his left hand. I look forward to seeing what he has to offer the Ducks and hope his competitiveness and fire spread quickly through the Ducks locker room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZuJyBwSCew

#2 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Step your game up, Jonas!

I watched that highlight reel and I'm fired up to see this guy play.

#3 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,651 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

i normally don't go out of my way to watch Sweden in Worlds, unless they play team i root for, but this year i will watch him closely (assuming he is a 31 guy for Tre Krunur this year)

#4 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

i normally don't go out of my way to watch Sweden in Worlds, unless they play team i root for, but this year i will watch him closely (assuming he is a 31 guy for Tre Krunur this year)

You and me both. I hope he plays great and doesn't get hurt.

#5 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I can't help but think of the hype surrounding Jonas Gustavsson a couple of years ago.

(Remember how Burke said he was better than Jonas Hiller was at that stage of his career? harhar)

Just wanted to air that out so it wasn't a monster in the room.

Good move on the Ducks' part. It can only help.

Now I hope that John Ahlers will be able to pronounce the guy's name right. I think it might present the same sort of challenge that #5's name did.

#6 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's pronounced Fast so if Ahlers can't get that right...wow.

I doubt Fasth is going to come to Anaheim and be dominant but I do expect him to be a competent NHL goalie that can give the Ducks a good option beyond Hiller and who can start 20+ games a year if need be. I'm excited to see him in camp.

#7 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I wonder how Fast-H will adapt to the smaller NHL ice surface, with the increased speed of the game.

It will be interesting to see him take it on.

#8 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

What they should do is try the new approach they have to the second line. Make Hiller the back up, Fasth the #3 and then we will kick a* all year. I mean any team that can have Teemu and Saku on a third line and Hiller a back up must be great! Go Ducks!

#9 ducks4adam98

ducks4adam98

ONE MORE YEAR!

• Members
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Fasth and Quick... If these people really were born with these names they were destined to be goalies!

#10 HillerGirl

HillerGirl

Legend

• Members
  • 14,651 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, Avs, Nuckies :)

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Fasth and Quick... If these people really were born with these names they were destined to be goalies!

yeah i already kinda fantasized about either them playing each other and how it would sound, or at some point being a goalie tandem for some team lol

and yeah, not every amazing European goalie can make it in North America... one that is closet to my heart is Belarusian Andrei Mezin. It was on his back that Belarus got to a point of actually keeping up with Sweden in Salt Lake (i think he faced around 60 SOGs in that game, letting in only 3 goals) he also was named best goalie by media in Worlds in Austria (i think) when his team finished 6th. towards the end of the tournament he still had if not #1 stats, then definitely top 3. INCLUDING shots faced :lol: but when he got to AHL he was awful. GAA over 3 and atrocious S%. Yet in European leagues he is usually the goalie to beat in terms of best stats and goaltending...

i hope this guy is more like Hiller, Lundkvist, Rinne, etc, than Mezin, Gustavsson, or any other "flops"

#11 letsgoducksdotcom

letsgoducksdotcom

Legend

• Members
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

I wonder if he can win a face off and make some passes to Bobby Ryan? I mean he's got as much a chance of being an effective second line center in the NHL as anyone else in the organization!

#12 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

From the looks of that clip he might be replacing Parros as the Ducks enforcer.

#13 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Anybody have an opinion on how Fasth performed at the WHC's, based on watching him play?

From what I've read, he wasn't very good when they needed him the most. Descriptions like he "stunk", he was "incredibly bad", "worthless", and similar unflattering adjectives. I'm not sure if it's over-reaction because they didn't medal, or what.

I wasn't able to view any of his games, so I don't know.

#14 safir8100

safir8100

4th Line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Anybody have an opinion on how Fasth performed at the WHC's, based on watching him play?

Both this year and last year. Last year he was good until the final. This year he wasn't anything special.

Hope he'll do well but shouldn't expect too much.

#15 ahtikullervo

ahtikullervo

Legend

• Members
  • 22,720 posts
  • Interests:My family
    NHL hockey
    sports
    Pop of 80s

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Fasth to compete with Quick? In SoCal... :D Quick and Fasth(er)... Sounds like the hockey version of "Dumb and Dumber" (good movie by the way!) :P

Last year he was MVP iat the Worlds. Fins had good laughs on that celebrating with Cup: "Did You hear that some guy called Fasth got the MVP. He was the goalie of Sweden! Hell yeah, he only let in 6 in the Final. He deserves it, what would be the result of any other Swede in the net?"

And this year he was terrible at Worlds. Sweden themselves were crying out for Lundqvist since day 1 at Worlds. With guys like Zetterberg, Eriksson, Franzen, Bäckström, Alfredsson, Karlsson, Hjalmarsson, Hedman, Hörnqvist, Silferberg, Krüger, Stralman etc in front of him they dropped out of medal games...

#16 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

He was good enough to earn a spot as Sweden's goalie and he's good enough that the Ducks (and other teams) were interested in signing him to play in the NHL. I look forward to seeing what he can do in camp.

#17 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

He was good enough to earn a spot as Sweden's goalie and he's good enough that the Ducks (and other teams) were interested in signing him to play in the NHL. I look forward to seeing what he can do in camp.

I thought you already gave him the #2 spot in net?

#18 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

I thought you already gave him the #2 spot in net?

I did. And so have the Ducks. I was just responding to those that are worried about his performance in the World Championships.

#19 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

I did. And so have the Ducks. I was just responding to those that are worried about his performance in the World Championships.

How have the Ducks done that? They don't even have a contract with him yet.

I'm confused.

And FTR, I'd love for Fasth to come in and give Hiller a run for his money. Hiller responds to competition very well, so it could only be good for us.

#20 miguel17

miguel17

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

How have the Ducks done that? They don't even have a contract with him yet.

I'm confused.

Per Stephens he can be signed this week...we will see, but looks like it's safe to say that he will be our backup next season...he didn't shine during WC, but Sweden played horrible in defence...

#21 HockeyHeaven

HockeyHeaven

Legend

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Cam Ward and Jimmy Howard didn't have very good tournaments, either. I'd take either one of them.

Fasth may not have played well, but he was still picked to man the goal for Sweden, so I'm gonna take it on faith that he's no scrub.

#22 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Per Stephens he can be signed this week...we will see, but looks like it's safe to say that he will be our backup next season...he didn't shine during WC, but Sweden played horrible in defence...

But the guy hasn't even played much on NHL-sized ice, has he? I don't see how any GM can assume he will make the transition easily in light of the Monster debacle.

Has Stephens or anyone from the Ducks said he will be our backup? I missed it if they have.

#23 miguel17

miguel17

3rd Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Has Stephens or anyone from the Ducks said he will be our backup? I missed it if they have.

No, but it' safe to say that it will be one-way deal (Fasth wasn't interested in two-way), so we won't sign him for AHL...it's still risky move, but this guy was the best goalie in swedish league, played great in national team, so he should be capable to play good 20 games as a backup...we have also JDD as a some insurance (I guess he will be starter in our AHL team)...

#24 TroyLoney

TroyLoney

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Two things that aren't official but are assured of happening:

1. Viktor Fasth will be the Ducks back-up goalie
2. Justin Schultz will not sign with the Ducks and will become a UFA

#25 ladiesandgentlemen

ladiesandgentlemen

Legend

• Members
  • 17,883 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Two things that aren't official but are assured of happening:

1. Viktor Fasth will be the Ducks back-up goalie
2. Justin Schultz will not sign with the Ducks and will become a UFA

I just hope that the same mistake won't be made in 1 that was made in 2: Assumption

Jonas Gustavsson was the hot goalie bet a couple years back. He's not learned the NA game on NA ice like it was assumed he would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users